Experiences with non-techies

2 minutes ago, RahulR said:

nice, the only 775 chips I have are some Pentium 4s (630 and 640 I believe), a Pentium D 930, and a Pentium Dual Core E5200

I have the magic AMD one that fits in 775 because that totally exists. I'm definitely not just making up crap.

"You think your Commodore 64 is really neato! What kind of chip you got in there a Dorito?" -Weird Al Yankovic, All about the pentiums

PC 1(Lenovo S400 laptop): 

CPU: i3-3217u

SSD: 120gb Super Cache mSATA SSD

HDD: Random seagate 5400rpm 500gb HDD

RAM: 8GB Crucial DDR3-SODIMM

PC 2(2014 Mac Mini):

CPU: i5-4260u

HDD: 5400rpm 500gb

RAM: 4gb DDR3 (soldered on :( )

On 2/19/2017 at 5:55 PM, RahulR said:

dude you know, i have literally a box full of LGA775 xeons in my office that i keep telling myself will be useful at some point, as you say, they are pretty much equivalent to first gen i7's. just can't bear the thought of throwing them away. i'll have to start a topic sometime showcasing my epic box of CPU's, got some gems in there, about 10 Q6600's

i want that box now.

Desktop: Core i5-6400, 16gb DDR4, Asus H110M-K, GTX 970, 240gb Crucial BX200, 1TB 5200rpm Samsung Spinpoint, 1TB WD Green, 250gb WD Scorpio Blue, Corsair CS550M, Zalman Z1 Neo, TP Link TL-WDN4800.

Laptop: HP Stream 13: Intel Celeron N2840, 2GB DDR3, 32GB e-mmc, iGPU.

"Test Bench": Pentium 4 HT 3.4GHz, 2GB DDR2, Dell Dimension 8400 Mobo and PSU, ATI X550, random hard drives

Some my friends think that its name isnt rgb but its ryb since its like that for irl colors while painting n stuff

24 minutes ago, W3AB00_K1D said:

Some my friends think that its name isnt rgb but its ryb since its like that for irl colors while painting n stuff

but.... what... do they not understand that there is a red, green and blue LED and not a green, yellow and blue? RYB is hard because the colors dont mix nicely IIRC, gets quite the green tone on the white IIRC

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Back when I was younger and didn't have a computer of my own, I installed Steam on my parent's computer and played TF2 and such on it. It was a pretty crappy computer, but it did the job. My sister would always get on it and put fishy "antivirus" programs on it, and go to those sites that let you play "free games". She also decided it'd be a great idea to download programs that let you "watch free movies". When the thing eventually took a shit on us and died, I got blamed for "ruining the computer", and my sister got a brand new laptop to do the exact same thing on. And my parents thought I owed her a lifetime of tech support because I "broke" our first PC.

"There is a fine line between not listening, and not caring. I'd like to think I walk that line every day of my life."

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: Ryzen 5 2600X w/stock cooler, Motherboard: MSI X370 GAMING PLUS, RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 24gb DDR4-2600, GPU: EVGA RTX 2070 SUPER XC, Case: NZXT S340, PSU: Corsair RMx 750w, Keyboard: Corsair K50, Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw

Laptop:

Spoiler

Lenovo IdeaPad S540

17 minutes ago, N1ghtshade said:

Back when I was younger and didn't have a computer of my own, I installed Steam on my parent's computer and played TF2 and such on it. It was a pretty crappy computer, but it did the job. My sister would always get on it and put fishy "antivirus" programs on it, and go to those sites that let you play "free games". She also decided it'd be a great idea to download programs that let you "watch free movies". When the thing eventually took a shit on us and died, I got blamed for "ruining the computer", and my sister got a brand new laptop to do the exact same thing on. And my parents thought I owed her a lifetime of tech support because I "broke" our first PC.

tumblr_mma46f4SJM1qjqvo3o1_500.gif

Sorry for the mess!  My laptop just went ROG!

"THE ROGUE":  ASUS ROG Zephyrus G15 GA503QR (2021)

• Ryzen 9 5900HS
  • RTX 3070 Laptop GPU (80W)
  • 24GB DDR4-3200 (8+16)
  • 2TB SK Hynix NVMe (boot) + 2TB Crucial P2 NVMe (games)
  • 90Wh battery + 200W power brick
  • 15.6" 1440p 165Hz IPS Pantone display
  • Logitech G603 mouse + Logitech G733 headset

"Hex": Dell G7 7588 (2018)

• i7-8750H
  • GTX 1060 Max-Q
  • 16GB DDR4-2666
  • 1TB SK Hynix NVMe (boot) + 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA (games)
  • 56Wh battery + 180W power brick
  • 15.6" 1080p 60Hz IPS display
  • Corsair Harpoon Wireless mouse + Corsair HS70 headset

"Mishiimin": Apple iMac 5K 27" (2017)

• i7-7700K
  • Radeon Pro 580 8GB (basically a desktop R9 390)
  • 16GB DDR4-2400
  • 2TB SSHD
  • 400W power supply (I think?)
  • 27" 5K 75Hz Retina display
  • Logitech G213 keyboard + Logitech G203 Prodigy mouse

Other tech: Apple iPhone 14 Pro Max 256GB in White, Sennheiser PXC 550-II, Razer Hammerhead earbuds, JBL Tune Flex earbuds, OontZ Angle 3 Ultra, Raspberry Pi 400, Logitech M510 mouse, Redragon S113 keyboard & mouse, Cherry MX Silent Red keyboard, Cooler Master Devastator II keyboard (not in use), Sennheiser HD4.40BT (not in use)

Retired tech: Apple iPhone XR 256GB in Product(RED), Apple iPhone SE 64GB in Space Grey (2016), iPod Nano 7th Gen in Product(RED), Logitech G533 headset, Logitech G930 headset, Apple AirPods Gen 2 and Gen 3

Trash bin (do not buy): Logitech G935 headset, Logitech G933 headset, Cooler Master Devastator II mouse, Razer Atheris mouse, Chinese off-brand earbuds, anything made by Skullcandy

23 minutes ago, techstorm970 said:

tumblr_mma46f4SJM1qjqvo3o1_500.gif

I feel the same

"There is a fine line between not listening, and not caring. I'd like to think I walk that line every day of my life."

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: Ryzen 5 2600X w/stock cooler, Motherboard: MSI X370 GAMING PLUS, RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 24gb DDR4-2600, GPU: EVGA RTX 2070 SUPER XC, Case: NZXT S340, PSU: Corsair RMx 750w, Keyboard: Corsair K50, Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw

Laptop:

Spoiler

Lenovo IdeaPad S540

6 minutes ago, N1ghtshade said:

I feel the same

It's not like there's some button that can show you agree with him right? :D 

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

I got into an argument with someone today who swore up and down that you can't replace a CPU cooler.  No no, you have to buy a new CPU every time you replace the CPU cooler because thermal paste is fucking glue to mount the cooler.  Yeah, it's glue stronger than the fucking US military holding on that shit and you'll never be able to take it off.

Like, what the hell.

Currently focusing on my video game collection.

It doesn't matter what you play games on, just play good games you enjoy.

24 minutes ago, kaiju_wars said:

I got into an argument with someone today who swore up and down that you can't replace a CPU cooler.  No no, you have to buy a new CPU every time you replace the CPU cooler because thermal paste is fucking glue to mount the cooler.  Yeah, it's glue stronger than the fucking US military holding on that shit and you'll never be able to take it off.

Like, what the hell.

thermal adhesive buyer eh? 

RyzenAir : AMD R5 3600 | AsRock AB350M Pro4 | 32gb Aegis DDR4 3000 | GTX 1070 FE | Fractal Design Node 804
RyzenITX : Ryzen 7 1700 | GA-AB350N-Gaming WIFI | 16gb DDR4 2666 | GTX 1060 | Cougar QBX 

PSU Tier list

1 hour ago, kaiju_wars said:

Like, what the hell.

probably only knows of thermal adhesive which is basicaklly glue with silver in it. it should never be used for CPUs though unless you are welding back the IHS to the dye again

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

15 hours ago, DocSwag said:

It's not like there's some button that can show you agree with him right? :D 

Noo, not at all

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Laptop:

Spoiler

Lenovo IdeaPad S540

8 hours ago, Space Reptile said:

thermal adhesive buyer eh? 

7 hours ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

probably only knows of thermal adhesive which is basicaklly glue with silver in it. it should never be used for CPUs though unless you are welding back the IHS to the dye again

No, I linked the stuff I use:

https://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-Thermal-Compound-Heatsink-SILVGREASE1/dp/B00006B8DX/ref=sr_1_7?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1487779403&sr=1-7&keywords=thermal+paste

Apparently that shit is glue.

1 minute ago, kaiju_wars said:

i mean , i heard of harddrive cooling . but THIS is extreme 

Unbenannt.PNG

RyzenAir : AMD R5 3600 | AsRock AB350M Pro4 | 32gb Aegis DDR4 3000 | GTX 1070 FE | Fractal Design Node 804
RyzenITX : Ryzen 7 1700 | GA-AB350N-Gaming WIFI | 16gb DDR4 2666 | GTX 1060 | Cougar QBX 

PSU Tier list

1 minute ago, Space Reptile said:

i mean , i heard of harddrive cooling . but THIS is extreme 

Unbenannt.PNG

It gets faster spindle speeds, maaaaan!

I once had an argument with a friend about PC versus console. I told him PC's were more powerful, and could run games at higher resolutions, and he said "No my xbox one can run Black Ops 3 and it looks good. Can your PC run it?" When I told him I didn't have a powerful enough PC yet, and that I needed to upgrade, he said, I quote "Ha I told you consoles are more powerful". Another time, I told him about how Steam lets you play online for free on PC. He claimed they didn't over and over. When I proved to him that it did, he said "Well I don't care. I like paying for Xbox Live"

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Laptop:

Spoiler

Lenovo IdeaPad S540

16 minutes ago, kaiju_wars said:

thats the shadyest thermalpaste iv ever layed my eyes on probably lol.

Builds:

Spoiler

4 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

thats the shadyest thermalpaste iv ever layed my eyes on probably lol.

Lol, I use it all the time.  (I get it for like a $1.50 at work)

I've had no issues with it :D  Don't hate me for using it.

21 hours ago, W3AB00_K1D said:

Ahh, the difference between reflected light and projected light. Blow their minds and tell them about a color's printers inks being CYMK (cyan-yellow-magenta-black)

23 hours ago, W3AB00_K1D said:

RGB RBG

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

Something else my grandma tried to correct me on....

She told me her 11 year old computer could handle Windows 10, which I immediately shot down (but politely, of course) lol As I went to clean and fix her PC, I noticed the CPU fan was at the bottom of the case, one of her (512mb) DIMM sticks had completely snapped in half, cat hair completely clogged everything from fans, ATA wires... To what resembled a sound card..

I never wanted to yell at my own grandma so much in my li.... *facepalm* I have such wonderful older family members....

Grandma's PC_Ink_LI.jpg

Aspiring IT technician... The AF is getting in the way. Poet and PC enthusiast (of a lower caliber, so-to say) :)

4 minutes ago, PCn00b3000 said:

Something else my grandma tried to correct me on....

She told me her 11 year old computer could handle Windows 10, which I immediately shot down (but politely, of course) lol As I went to clean and fix her PC, I noticed the CPU fan was at the bottom of the case, one of her (512mb) DIMM sticks had completely snapped in half, cat hair completely clogged everything from fans, ATA wires... To what resembled a sound card..

I never wanted to yell at my own grandma so much in my li.... *facepalm* I have such wonderful older family members....

nice SmartPCFixer install, surely not malware, scam ware, ect... lol. still, this computer is a beast compared to my first computer i used. it has almost twice the amount of RAM and a segnificantly better CPU then the P4 pice of shit it had lol

Builds:

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

nice SmartPCFixer install, surely not malware, scam ware, ect... lol. still, this computer is a beast compared to my first computer i used. it has almost twice the amount of RAM and a segnificantly better CPU then the P4 pice of shit it had lol

I did what I could to explain that anything related to "auto driver updater" or "pc-fixer" was obviously harmful, but she's a stubborn old bat that won't admit when she's wrong. So, what else could I do but clean the PC up, get rid of the infinite amount of taskbars on Explorer, then let her make the same mistakes over and over again? I had half a mind to take her computer out of it's misery and snap the CPU in half </3 

Aspiring IT technician... The AF is getting in the way. Poet and PC enthusiast (of a lower caliber, so-to say) :)