Experiences with non-techies

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/345629-florida-middle-school-student-charged-with-felony-hacking-for-changing-desktop-wallpaper/

Southern states being retarded as usual. (They were slow to get rid of slavery, they are slow to accept science, they are slow to accept technology, they hate change, etc) Maybe the sun cooked their brains or they are born stupid, idk. It's just depressing to see intelligent people suffering at the hands of morons.

260 SECONDS? Usually ping times out after 1 second. Are you sure you didn't mean milliseconds? Either way that sucks, but still.

LOL ya milliseconds. F**k autocorrect and mobile ltt. Still sucky though. Everyone else in the 50's... Pair that with approximately 20 FPS and you have yourself an unplayable game.

Just a guy who peaked at building back in the days of the GTX 980. If you see me here, assume i have technical knowledge akin to a committed hobbyist builder back then. If something's changed, you'll need to tell me(nicely plz). I'm probably asking for help with the modern build scene since I have no clue what's going on.

LOL ya milliseconds. F**k autocorrect and mobile ltt. Still sticky though. Everyone else in the 50's... Pair that with approximately 20 FPS and you have yourself an unplayable game.

Okay, that makes a bit more sense. Still sucks though, I consider over 150ms to be unplayable and anything over 100ms to be annoying at best.

I've built 3 PC's, but none for myself... In fact, I'm using an iMac that my dad bought for me as my desktop. Awkward...

Please don't say "SSD drive." By doing so, you are literally saying "Solid State Drive Drive" and causing my brain cells to commit suicide. The same applies to HDD (Hard Disk Drive) and PCIe (Peripheral Component Interconnect Express).

Okay, that makes a bit more sense. Still sucks though, I consider over 150ms to be unplayable and anything over 100ms to be annoying at best.

When I was on a ferry the ping was 3600ms, I wasn't gaming or anything, but still

Specs: CPU: AMD FX 6300 Motherboard: Gigabyte 970A DS3P RAM: HyperX Fury 16GB 1866MHz GPU: MSI R9 270 OC edition Case: Sharkoon VS3-S SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB HDD: 1TB Caviar Blue PSU: Corsair CX500W

*If I say something that seems offensive, please don't take it seriously, it was most likely meant as a joke/sarcastically*

When I was on a ferry the ping was 3600ms, I wasn't gaming or anything, but still

When I was on a ferry the download was 0.00mbit ping was 199ms though

http://imgur.com/TK7uFOm

When I was on a ferry the download was 0.00mbit ping was 199ms though

http://imgur.com/TK7uFOm

wat  :blink:

Recovering Apple addict

ASUS Zephyrus G14 2022

Spoiler

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 6900HS GPU: AMD r680M / RX 6700S RAM: 16GB DDR5 

wat  :blink:

Yep. I think the ferry moved out of signal of the satellite/mobile network that was giving it internet.

Yep. I think the ferry moved out of signal of the satellite/mobile network that was giving it internet.

No, you would have gotten a failed test if that happened. The name of the game here is significant figures and rounding. 

The app rounds to two decimals so what happened is your download speed was 0.004 Mb/s or less and when rounded, displayed as 0.00 Mb/s

It was either that, or:

The Ookla speed test gives the servers time to adjust to the load of the bandwidth test, giving a more accurate result to the speed of your internet connection by reducing potential bottlenecks caused by a VERY slow router or overloaded server somewhere along the line. However, this test only displays the bandwidth of the last packet transaction. So, theoretically if the ferry had lost connection to the network for a very short period at the end of your download test, it may have displayed the result as zero even if the average of the entire test was higher. This is why I think they should average the bandwidth of the last 1/3 of the test, giving time for the servers to adjust, but also providing a more meaningful result.

All that said, the second one is just a theory based on what I know about the Ookla speed test, I may be wrong as I have never seen anything more detailed than the information they display on their webpage.

I've built 3 PC's, but none for myself... In fact, I'm using an iMac that my dad bought for me as my desktop. Awkward...

Please don't say "SSD drive." By doing so, you are literally saying "Solid State Drive Drive" and causing my brain cells to commit suicide. The same applies to HDD (Hard Disk Drive) and PCIe (Peripheral Component Interconnect Express).

Just tested, on my phone, from a hotel, in Maui. Got better ping then at home. Bad download/upload though.

post-158440-0-69909700-1428817770_thumb.

Just a guy who peaked at building back in the days of the GTX 980. If you see me here, assume i have technical knowledge akin to a committed hobbyist builder back then. If something's changed, you'll need to tell me(nicely plz). I'm probably asking for help with the modern build scene since I have no clue what's going on.

What in the actual fuck is that woman doing with that power supply.

First, I think that's a guy with long hair....

Second, Cutting the cables??

Third, he went full retard.

Follow the topics you create using the "Follow" button in the top right corner!

One day I will have my GTX 970. One day. PC specs are at my profile.

Not sure how to check what part works with what? Check out my compatibility guide!

What in the actual fuck is that woman doing with that power supply.

Is it a woman?

Posed photo showing what not to do?

Two motoes to live by   "Sometimes there are no shortcuts"

"This too shall pass"

Yesterday I was my society's maintenance office. And I think 1 of the maintenance guy wanted to plug his mobile charger or something and he asked his supervisor where should he connect that, she pointed to wall socket and asked him to connect it there. Now socket's both ports were in use, 1 with monitor and other with CPU, he just disconnected CPU port and connected his mobile and then was looking at the monitor :wacko: , wondering what happened.

Finally got PS4 Pro

-snip-

CPU port?

[spoiler=My PC]

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 6700K | COOLER: Corsair H105 | MOBO: ASUS Z170i Gaming Pro AC | RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 16GB 2400MHz | GPU: EVGA GTX 980 Classified | CASE: BitFenix Prodigy | SSD: Samsung 950 Pro 512GB | PSU: XFX XTR 650W [spoiler= Le Other Stuff] Monitor: BenQ XL2411Z | Keyboard: Ozone Strike Pro | Mouse: A4 Tech X7 F4 | MousePad: Ozone

Spoiler
Spoiler

PlayStation 2 | PSP 2000 | Game Boy Color | Nintendo DS Lite | Nintendo 3DS | Wii

Spoiler

Sony Xperia J (Why u so bad D:) | iPod 4th gen | iPhone 4 | Yarvik Xenta 13c (3muchchrome5her)

Spoiler
Spoiler

Pentium B980 | 500GB WD Blue | Intel HD Graphixxx | 4Gegabeytes of REHAM

Current OS: MSX 10.0 ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)Ilikethelennyfaceyouknow( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) Windows Password Reset Guide

I have a guy in my school who made an app and somehow won some prizes. Now, he's known as "the most tech savvy person of the school." Just today I saw him take a friend's phone, fire it up and wave it for some seconds. "The camera's good," he said. He didn't even take any photos. I don't know how one can come to such a conclution.

I have a guy in my school who made an app and somehow won some prizes. Now, he's known as "the most tech savvy person of the school." Just today I saw him take a friend's phone, fire it up and wave it for some seconds. "The camera's good," he said. He didn't even take any photos. I don't know how one can come to such a conclution.

someone really good in programming doesn't mean he's tech savvy. 

Being tech savvy leans towards being good with the hardware not the software which might explain you're friend testing the camera's latency rather than taking photos with it.

|CPU: Intel i7-5960X @ 4.4ghz|MoBo: Asus Rampage V|RAM: 64GB Corsair Dominator Platinum|GPU:2-way SLI Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 980's|SSD:512GB Samsung 850 pro|HDD: 2TB WD Black|PSU: Corsair AX1200i|COOLING: NZXT Kraken x61|SOUNDCARD: Creative SBX ZxR|  ^_^  Planned Bedroom Build: Red Phantom [quadro is stuck in customs, still trying to find a cheaper way to buy a highend xeon]

CPU port?

It's funny. Some people still indicate the whole rig by CPU. I used to. Like 6/7 years back from now.

someone really good in programming doesn't mean he's tech savvy. 

Being tech savvy leans towards being good with the hardware not the software which might explain you're friend testing the camera's latency rather than taking photos with it.

I know him. By "the camera's good" he meant it's good. God knows if he has any idea about what latency is. Last week I saw him trying to install a driver on one of my school's computers. He failed miserably. The driver wasn't WHQL certified but it was Windows XP; shouldn't have been a big deal.

I just saw this video: https://youtu.be/RFCHfiUWJiw

oh dear 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2LjqCoVbZ_g

^ This one

Where I hang out: The Garage - Car Enthusiast Club

My cars: 2006 Mazda RX-8 (MT) | 2014 Mazda 6 (AT) | 2009 Honda Jazz (AT)

PC Specs

Indonesia

CPU: i5-4690 | Motherboard: MSI B85-G43 | Memory: Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB | Power Supply: Corsair CX500 | Video Card: MSI GTX 970

Storage: Kingston V300 120GB & WD Blue 1TB | Network Card: ASUS PCE-AC56 | Peripherals: Microsoft Wired 600 & Logitech G29 + Shifter

Australia 

CPU: Ryzen 3 2200G | Motherboard: MSI - B450 Tomahawk | Memory: Mushkin - 8GB (1 x 8GB) | Storage: Mushkin 250GB & Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB
Video Card: GIGABYTE - RX 580 8GB | Case: Corsair - 100R ATX Mid Tower | Power Supply: Avolv 550W 80+ Gold

Why did the pump die ??

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

Why did the pump die ??

The pump didn't get the coolant, the pump sucked air instead (that's why it died) thus he didn't jump the PSU so the full system came on that's why the CPU overheated. He should have jumped the PSU in the first place so only the pump and the fans turned on.

Where I hang out: The Garage - Car Enthusiast Club

My cars: 2006 Mazda RX-8 (MT) | 2014 Mazda 6 (AT) | 2009 Honda Jazz (AT)

PC Specs

Indonesia

CPU: i5-4690 | Motherboard: MSI B85-G43 | Memory: Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB | Power Supply: Corsair CX500 | Video Card: MSI GTX 970

Storage: Kingston V300 120GB & WD Blue 1TB | Network Card: ASUS PCE-AC56 | Peripherals: Microsoft Wired 600 & Logitech G29 + Shifter

Australia 

CPU: Ryzen 3 2200G | Motherboard: MSI - B450 Tomahawk | Memory: Mushkin - 8GB (1 x 8GB) | Storage: Mushkin 250GB & Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB
Video Card: GIGABYTE - RX 580 8GB | Case: Corsair - 100R ATX Mid Tower | Power Supply: Avolv 550W 80+ Gold

CPU port?

I mean power cable of case (psu) from the wall, he removed it while PC was on 

Finally got PS4 Pro

Customer: “My phone is completely dead. I can’t do anything with it”

Me: “Does it have a removable battery?”

Customer: “Yes.”

Me: “Can you please remove it as I need to check the IMEI number?”

Customer: “But that will disconnect the call.”

so it's dead eh? lol  :lol:

not mine btw

|CPU: Intel i7-5960X @ 4.4ghz|MoBo: Asus Rampage V|RAM: 64GB Corsair Dominator Platinum|GPU:2-way SLI Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 980's|SSD:512GB Samsung 850 pro|HDD: 2TB WD Black|PSU: Corsair AX1200i|COOLING: NZXT Kraken x61|SOUNDCARD: Creative SBX ZxR|  ^_^  Planned Bedroom Build: Red Phantom [quadro is stuck in customs, still trying to find a cheaper way to buy a highend xeon]

No, you would have gotten a failed test if that happened. The name of the game here is significant figures and rounding. 

The app rounds to two decimals so what happened is your download speed was 0.004 Mb/s or less and when rounded, displayed as 0.00 Mb/s

It was either that, or:

The Ookla speed test gives the servers time to adjust to the load of the bandwidth test, giving a more accurate result to the speed of your internet connection by reducing potential bottlenecks caused by a VERY slow router or overloaded server somewhere along the line. However, this test only displays the bandwidth of the last packet transaction. So, theoretically if the ferry had lost connection to the network for a very short period at the end of your download test, it may have displayed the result as zero even if the average of the entire test was higher. This is why I think they should average the bandwidth of the last 1/3 of the test, giving time for the servers to adjust, but also providing a more meaningful result.

All that said, the second one is just a theory based on what I know about the Ookla speed test, I may be wrong as I have never seen anything more detailed than the information they display on their webpage.

probably a terrible connection overloaded then. I did a test a couple of munites later and it was up to a whopping 0.12 mbit down!