Possible Alien Signals From Space ?

I agree with my physics teacher on this. If this galaxy has forms of intelligent life, it's highly likely there'll be some in the infinite number of other galaxies.

I agree with my physics teacher on this. If this galaxy has forms of intelligent life, it's highly likely there'll be some in the infinite number of other galaxies.

But is there actually an infinite number of galaxies? I thought the universe was finite and expanding?

"I try to put good out into the world...that way I can believe it's out there." --CKN                  “How people treat you is their karma; how you react is yours.” --Wayne Dyer            

[Needs Updating] My PC: i5-10600K @TBD / 32GB DDR4 @4000MHz / Z490 AORUS Elite AC / Titan RTX / Samsung 1TB 960 Evo / EVGA SuperNova 850 T2

But is there actually an infinite number of galaxies? I thought the universe was finite and expanding?

I meant it in a figurative manner. Of course there's a finite amount, but we'll never know most of them

I meant it in a figurative manner. Of course there's a finite amount, but we'll never know most of them

Oh okay, I thought you meant that your physics teacher had taught you that the universe is infinite?

"I try to put good out into the world...that way I can believe it's out there." --CKN                  “How people treat you is their karma; how you react is yours.” --Wayne Dyer            

[Needs Updating] My PC: i5-10600K @TBD / 32GB DDR4 @4000MHz / Z490 AORUS Elite AC / Titan RTX / Samsung 1TB 960 Evo / EVGA SuperNova 850 T2

My brother-in-law prospect (a.k.a. my Sister's serious boyfriend) assures me that there's already a human colony in Mars but the illuminati has been hiding them from us but will soon revel and try to declare their independence from Earth.

He's a fun person to talk to with this wild conspiracy theories

-------

Current Rig

-------

My brother-in-law prospect (a.k.a. my Sister's serious boyfriend) assures me that there's already a human colony in Mars but the illuminati has been hiding them from us but will soon revel and try to declare their independence from Earth.

:wacko:

You should refer him to this...  http://www.thegreatcourses.co.uk/courses/your-deceptive-mind-a-scientific-guide-to-critical-thinking-skills.html  :blink:

And he really believes that?  :wacko:

What does your sister think about it all?

Probably something among the lines that Jet fuel cannot melt steam beams

You should refer him to this...  http://www.thegreatcourses.co.uk/courses/your-deceptive-mind-a-scientific-guide-to-critical-thinking-skills.html  :blink:

And he really believes that?  :wacko:

Hard to tell and I wouldn't wanna bring up the subject, I just intervene with my family when I know it's a relevant subject that can hurt us like when I lectured my mom on multilevel marketing sales since she was being pitched by a friend of hers.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Oops! Double post. :blink:  

Hard to tell and I wouldn't wanna bring up the subject, I just intervene with my family when I know it's a relevant subject that can hurt us like when I lectured my mom on multilevel marketing sales since she was being pitched by a friend of hers.

It's always difficult when you don't want to hurt someone's feelings but I guess you just have to maintain your integrity? It's best to remain strong for them and not let them break down your belief systems because you might feel guilty about letting them do anything but. :0/

I stumbled into a cult meeting (by accident) and when it was time for me to take the chair and take questions from the members I basically just said something along the lines of "To be honest I think this is a cult and I think you're basically all cultists". It didn't really go down too well and I almost got beaten up (and I don't recommend any one actually do this) but that's just me. :0/

The thing to know about mlm is that there has never ever ever been a successful down-line in any mlm scheme. Had there have been then the entire population of the world would already be in it, since the geometrical expansion means the entire world needing to be recruited. :shrug:

...and basically there's never been a time in history when the entire population of even a major metropolitan area has been part of a down-line, let alone the entire world. :shrug:

Probably something among the lines that Jet fuel cannot melt steam beams

Sadly yes. :0/

As an aside, there's a one stop shop for that answer here... http://skeptoid.com/episodes/4054

Assuming we aren't alone, is there an equation to calculate the odds of aliens being hostile or is it just 50/50?

What are the odds of us doing something stupid in the 1st encounter and pissing them off?

Or the odds of them needing a new home and Earth being the best prospect in the neighborhood?

This is LTT. One cannot force "style over substance" values & agenda on people that actually aren't afraid to pop the lid off their electronic devices, which happens to be the most common denominator of this community. Rather than take shots at this community in every post, why not seek out like-minded individuals elsewhere?

Assuming we aren't alone, is there an equation to calculate the odds of aliens being hostile or is it just 50/50?

What are the odds of us doing something stupid in the 1st encounter and pissing them off?

Or the odds of them needing a new home and Earth being the best prospect in the neighborhood?

yes there is a equation for that altough i forgot the name for that, but it includes the size of the universe(range you are looking) amount of planets etc, but if we consider that the universe is probabbly infinite the chance for other life becomes the same.

odds of screwing up the 1st time? BIGGG(knowing humanity)

odds they need a new home and come to earth?

better get your tinfoil hat in that case, because your brains will be replaced by a new superior alien host by tomorow

May the light have your back and your ISO low.

I'm not sure about this however. I'd like to see the math (albeit translated into something I can understand) but my instinct (based on what I do know) is that it's an extremely remote possibility that we'll ever find other life, let alone be able to make some kind of physical contact with them, to the point of really being at least a "practical impossibility"? :0/

There is about 100-400 billion stars in our milky way. MW is an average size galaxy. There is about 200 billion galaxies in the OBSERVABLE universe. from our observations nearly every star is a host to atleast one planet. Now I will quote an article about a study published in the Monthly Notices of the Royal Astronomical Society on March 18, 2015.

The astronomers said that if we take the calculations further out into space, it would mean that just in our galaxy, the Milky Way, there could be billions of stars with planets in the habitable zone, where there could be liquid water and where life could exist.

Which means estimated ~103  billion planets in habitable zones in the observable universe. That is a big number. Now even if only 1% of those planets ever had or will have life, that is still 1 billion planets. And even if only 1% of those planets have life at this time, that is 1 million planets with life. And that is a conservative estimate :)

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

Game developer, AI researcher, Developing the UOLTT mobile apps

G SIX [My Mac Pro G5 CaseMod Thread]

There is about 100-400 billion stars in our milky way. MW is an average size galaxy. There is about 200 billion galaxies in the OBSERVABLE universe. from our observations nearly every star is a host to atleast one planet. Now I will quote an article about a study published in the Monthly Notices of the Royal Astronomical Society on March 18, 2015.

Which means estimated ~103  billion planets in habitable zones in the observable universe. That is a big number. Now even if only 1% of those planets ever had or will have life, that is still 1 billion planets. And even if only 1% of those planets have life at this time, that is 1 million planets with life. And that is a conservative estimate :)

If I didn't know better I'd think you were flirting with me  ;0)

So I guess for practical purposes (given that we could never investigate all of them) they may as well be practically infinite, if not actually infinite.

So the problem really comes down to distance. How much energy do you need to transmit a message between solar systems and how much energy do you need to traverse that distance in person?

Maybe if we could ever figure out how to bend space-time (which hypothetically I understand isn't impossible as far as it doesn't conflict with the laws of physics and so should be possible if only we could figure out how) then we might actually be able to reach other civilizations?

At least I think that's the case. :shrug:

My understanding of this stuff really is pretty lay but I do really find it interesting. :0/

I'll just jump in here and say that it is possible that there are no intelligent life forms in the milky way galaxy!

Just think how much coincidental but crucial things needed to happen in an exact order for the human life to be formed, is it possible that it all could have happened again on an another far away planet? And if there was something out there, how would we be sure if it actually exists? I don't think that aliens would waste time making crop circles and flying in triangular "lights" around the sky for someone to notice them... If aliens existed why wouldn't they show themselves?

AND HOW DIDN'T ANYONE POST THE ALIENS MEME, dreams crushed ;(

I'll just jump in here and say that it is possible that there are no intelligent life forms in the milky way galaxy!

Just think how much coincidental but crucial things needed to happen in an exact order for the human life to be formed, is it possible that it all could have happened again on an another far away planet? And if there was something out there, how would we be sure if it actually exists? I don't think that aliens would waste time making crop circles and flying in triangular "lights" around the sky for someone to notice them... If aliens existed why wouldn't they show themselves?

AND HOW DIDN'T ANYONE POST THE ALIENS MEME, dreams crushed ;(

It being possible is one thing; It being probable is another. ;0)

• 2 weeks later...

all i know is that if aliens exist they can be weirder than jelly fish.

....damn those things are messed up.

What do you mean ... " IF they exist" ?

You yourself are already living on a planet which is infested with "aliens" of all sorts, some species capable of techology, one species capable of high enough technology to carry themselves off-planet

Being a part of the illuminati must be the worst job ever. Those fuckers must be busy.

The Mistress: Case: Corsair 760t   CPU:  Intel Core i7-4790K 4GHz(stock speed at the moment) - GPU: MSI 970 - MOBO: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 - RAM: Crucial Ballistic Sport 1600MHZ CL9 - PSU: Corsair AX760  - STORAGE: 128Gb Samsung EVO SSD/ 1TB WD Blue/Several older WD blacks.

I for one am now supporting Wendell's theory (the Wendell from Tek Syndicate) that Aliens are already observing us, and waiting until our society can properly maintain public restrooms before making contact.

Fuck all that other shit, if your society can't have public restrooms without people pressing their asses against the wall and shitting on it, then you don't deserve to be contacted.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

I for one am now supporting Wendell's theory (the Wendell from Tek Syndicate) that Aliens are already observing us, and waiting until our society can properly maintain public restrooms before making contact.

Fuck all that other shit, if your society can't have public restrooms without people pressing their asses against the wall and shitting on it, then you don't deserve to be contacted.

My theory has always been that they used to observe us, but gave up hope long ago....

The Mistress: Case: Corsair 760t   CPU:  Intel Core i7-4790K 4GHz(stock speed at the moment) - GPU: MSI 970 - MOBO: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 - RAM: Crucial Ballistic Sport 1600MHZ CL9 - PSU: Corsair AX760  - STORAGE: 128Gb Samsung EVO SSD/ 1TB WD Blue/Several older WD blacks.

My theory has always been that they used to observe us, but gave up hope long ago....

That or they're waiting for natural selection to kick in and wipe out the remaining cave men (religious types, businessmen[corporate scum suckers], lawyers, politicians, etc)

I find it highly likely that any advanced society capable of interstellar travel would likely have to be run entirely by nerds. Nothing ever gets done otherwise.

{EDIT: I forgot to include people who work in marketing)

If there is intelligent life that is trying to communicate to us, I don't see how they would specifically pick out radio frequencies to use to communicate. 

I highly doubt that aliens would be on the same wavelength as us in technology, even biologically, that is if these aliens were to consists of biological matter. 

scientists who are looking for extraterrestrial life via radio waves are constantly scanning all wavelengths so it is not so inconceivable to assume that we would pick them up. There are only a fairly small range of usable frequencies that can be used to effectively transmit information.

There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand binary numbers and those who don’t

bulgara, oh nono

Multipass

AND OBAMA

Fairly certain he falls under "politician". He's by no means the worst of the bunch.

That or they're waiting for natural selection to kick in and wipe out the remaining cave men (religious types, businessmen[corporate scum suckers], lawyers, politicians, etc)

I find it highly likely that any advanced society capable of interstellar travel would likely have to be run entirely by nerds. Nothing ever gets done otherwise.

Yes and no...Nerds are the most amazing and productive people alive...The problem is that nobody has found out of way to direct the power of the nerds to a sufficient level for us to get an advanced society like that...

Instead, we have nerds doing shit like building a  working 16 bit computer in mine craft....If we could some how harness our productivity, we could take over the world....

The world run by nerds would be better than the world run by jocks that we have today.

Edit: I once read a sci fi book series called "The Lost Fleet".....The writer was not so good with writing dialogue and character building, but he was brilliant at making star battles and his "aliens" were the most inventive i have heard about.

He made me think just how different aliens could be.

The first alien species that they meet is characterized as being wildly obsessed with only one thing....Not being noticed. They will explode their own ships long before enemies get into reach to make sure there is not chance that they can find out anything about them.

So maybe we are just being really arrogant in assuming that an alien race would even have an interest in us.