Netflix can now ban VPN users under updated terms and conditions

Netflix has recently updates its terms and conditions, adding in a new line that says Netflix can ban users found to be using a VPN to access libraries of content not available in your own country. However, it does seem unlikely that Netflix would actively enforce this new rule.

While Netflix agrees and wants to do away with geographical borders on digital content, the big media companies are all constantly on Netflix’s case about VPN use and in order to maintain its business relationships, it should probably look like it is at least trying to prevent the use of VPNs to access content.

28b4944d32a36ae3352e57615055cb1d-e142850

The new terms and conditions say:

• “You may view a movie or TV show through the Netflix service primarily within the country in which you have established your account and only in geographic locations where we offer  our service and have licensed such movie or TV show.”

• “The content that may be available to watch will vary by geographic location. Netflix will use technologies to verify your geographic location. We may terminate or restrict your use of our service, without compensation or notice, if you are, or if we suspect that you are,
  1.  in violation of any of these terms of use or
  2.  engaged in illegal or improper use of the service.

It wasn’t too long ago that we heard rumours that Netflix wanted to stop its users from viewing with a VPN switched on entirely. However, the company later corrected those rumours. It doesn’t look like Netflix is going to stop you from using a VPN but it is warning against it

Source : http://www.forbes.com/sites/ianmorris/2015/04/07/netflix-can-now-ban-users-who-use-vpns/

Related : www.in.techradar.com/news/home-cinema/Netflix-can-now-ban-you-for-using-a-VPN/articleshow/46842103.cms

linustechtips.com/main/topic/335258-netflix-wants-to-get-rid-of-geographical-restrictions/

www.kitguru.net/channel/generaltech/matthew-wilson/netflix-reveals-that-vpn-crackdown-claims-are-false/

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

In other news, the number of Netflix users plummets.

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

Main rig:

i7-4790 - 24GB RAM - GTX 970 - Samsung 840 240GB Evo - 2x 2TB Seagate. - 4 monitors - G710+ - G600 - Zalman Z9U3

Other devices

Oneplus One 64GB Sandstone

Surface Pro 3 - i7 - 256Gb

Surface RT

Server:

SuperMicro something - Xeon e3 1220 V2 - 12GB RAM - 16TB of Seagates 

In other news, the number of Netflix users plummets.

I just got netflix... It just recently launched in Australia too.

they are doing this because they are trying to reach a deal with copy rights companies to make Netflix content world wide available so it could be a good thing

I5 3570K@ 4.4 - GIGABYTE Z77- Kingston 8G 2400 RAM - MSI GTX980 - HAF-X - 27'' ROG SWIFT + 32'' LG IPS - OCZ 250G SSD + WD 4TB HDD - ASUS XONAR DX -Noctua NH-D14

The subscription to netflix is only month by month anyway so if they terminate it wait a few days for the vpn service to find a workaround and just signup for a new account  

The Cake is a Lie...

Could someone PLEASE smack the retards in charge of these companies?

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

ELI5 guys, whats actually wrong?

I don't understand whats so terrible about not being able to use a vpn

ELI5 guys, whats actually wrong?

I don't understand whats so terrible about not being able to use a vpn

Some countries don't receive the same content as others do, so using a VPN gets around that.

I highly doubt Netflix will enforce this, it's like just a statement to the jerk offs who refuse to let their movies play in other countries for no god given reason.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

Some countries don't receive the same content as others do, so using a VPN gets around that.

I highly doubt Netflix will enforce this, it's like just a statement to the jerk offs who refuse to let their movies play in other countries for no god given reason.

Actually, there are reasons that some content is region locked. Not all countries have the same content and copyright laws. So they lock the content to the region that they're safe in. For example,its illegal to record a show on Netflix and distribute it to other people in the US. That law doesn't apply to other countries. That's why they region lock. And some content that's fine in one country might not be fine in other countries. For example, japanese/Korean TV laws are completely different from US TV laws. So some shows on korean/Japanese TV networks can't be licensed in the US. Although those situations are rare, it's possible.

Fractal Design Define R4 | MSI x79a-GD45 | 3960X @ 4.6Ghz | Lots of EK Blocks | EVGA GTX780Ti 3GB | Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB (4x4) DDR3 1866 | Samsung 840 Pro 512GB SSD | Western Digital Red 2TB x4 (Raid 10) | Corsair AX760 | Windows 7 Professional 64-bit

Now the question is, how likely is this actually going to happen? How are they going to find out if you're using a VPN or not? And should I really stop using Hola?

Gaming Build:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3800x   |  GPU: Asus ROG STRIX 2080 SUPER Advanced (2115Mhz Core | 9251Mhz Memory) |  Motherboard: Asus X570 TUF GAMING-PLUS  |  RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4 3600MHz 16GB  |  PSU: Corsair RM850x  |  Storage: 1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro, 250GB Samsung 840 Evo, 500GB Samsung 840 Evo  |  Cooler: Corsair H115i Pro XT  |  Case: Lian Li PC-O11

Peripherals:

Monitor: LG 34GK950F  |  Sound: Sennheiser HD 598  |  Mic: Blue Yeti  |  Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Platinum  |  Mouse: Logitech G502

Laptop:

Asus ROG Zephryus G15

Ryzen 7 4800HS, GTX1660Ti, 16GB DDR4 3200Mhz, 512GB nVME, 144hz

NAS:

QNAP TS-451

6TB Ironwolf Pro

and those company complaint about increasing piracy "again"

There's no way to stop piracy. Because people are self entitled assholes. While making content more accessible and affordable might decrease piracy, as some people pirate due to content not being available(which is a shitty reason to pirate) or too expensive(these people don't seem to understand how capitalism works) most pirates pirate because they don't want to pay a single penny.
Fractal Design Define R4 | MSI x79a-GD45 | 3960X @ 4.6Ghz | Lots of EK Blocks | EVGA GTX780Ti 3GB | Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB (4x4) DDR3 1866 | Samsung 840 Pro 512GB SSD | Western Digital Red 2TB x4 (Raid 10) | Corsair AX760 | Windows 7 Professional 64-bit

There's no way to stop piracy. Because people are self entitled assholes. While making content more accessible and affordable might decrease piracy, as some people pirate due to content not being available(which is a shitty reason to pirate) or too expensive(these people don't seem to understand how capitalism works) most pirates pirate because they don't want to pay a single penny.

yes, there's no way

for you might shitty reason

because for me that reason alone is the core of the problem, what choice do I have? because people like me have NO option except "grey" area solution like this shit.

636f15fb12.jpg

76a8a913ab.jpg

Hey here's a cute fact Netflix: if you enforce this fucking shit, I also know a ton of people who sell pirated Netflix accounts so how about that? You keep this as a PR thing to appease the fucking assholes at Hollywood, or you get it.

-------

Current Rig

-------

That is utter bullcrap. Spotify has already proved you wrong, it's all about convenience.

yes, there's no way

for you might shitty reason

because for me that reason alone is the core of the problem, what choice do I have? because people like me have NO option except "grey" area solution like this shit.

636f15fb12.jpg

76a8a913ab.jpg

It's a stupid reason. Because this is how it works.

Content not available? You don't get to see the content.

That's it. Nothing else to it. Any excuse that comes after that is due to one's self entitlement. You're not entitled to the content, if it's not available, you don't get to have it.

That is utter bullcrap. Spotify has already proved you wrong, it's all about convenience.

Spotify proved me wrong how? You're trying to claim that nobody pirates music anymore?

-snip-
  • “You may view a movie or TV show through the Netflix service primarily within the country in which you have established your account and only in geographic locations where we offer  our service and have licensed such movie or TV show.”

-snip-

so to me, the loophole here is use the VPN when you first sign up for netflix. then your account was established in America.

Spotify proved me wrong how? You're trying to claim that nobody pirates music anymore?

Not as heavily no. Between spotify, itunes cards on each convenience store and youtube ad sponsored music videos, you don't really need to pirate music anymore, no.

-------

Current Rig

-------

The amount of people pirating music was drastically reduced. There will always be people pirating, but making content conveniently available removes the main reason for people to pirate.

well it's your opinion and your decision

that's why movie industry are failing

http://www.fastcompany.com/3021008/why-video-games-succeed-where-the-movie-and-music-industries-fail

they won't adapt with technology when boundaries are no longer in their control, and even worse they prevent people "buying" their stuff legally.

The amount of people pirating music was drastically reduced. There will always be people pirating, but making content conveniently available removes the main reason for people to pirate.

And that proved me wrong how? It decreased pirating,jist as I stated it would. And that people will still pirate, which people still do. I don't see where you're going with this.

well it's your opinion and your decision

that's why movie industry are failing

http://www.fastcompany.com/3021008/why-video-games-succeed-where-the-movie-and-music-industries-fail

they won't adapt with technology when boundaries are no longer in their control, and even worse they prevent people "buying" their stuff legally.

Not all countries have the same content laws. Region locking exists because of that.