Linus, animal explotation and the importance of being an educated tourist

Random_her0

EDIT: Have added spoilers to some images, you may not want to look at them

I've been back and fourth on whether or not to make this post. Initially, I felt that there would be no positive to come from it, but now I believe that something really cool could come from it, if Linus gets the chance to read it and is able to use some of his fame to raise awareness.

I should also preface this by saying that I don't believe that Linus is a bad guy AT ALL, nor do I believe he is uneducated, I simply believe he may be a bit ignorant or naive on the issue of animal exploitation in South East Asia. I also hope he and his family are having a great trip in this part of the world.

Some background about myself so you know where I'm coming from. I was born in England, but have spent most of my life (20 years) in South East Asia, predominantly in Thailand where I now reside. I have always been fascinated by animals, and as I entered my teenage years I began working with animal charities which work to spay and neuter stray cats and dogs in Bangkok. As I got a bit older, I started putting a bit more effort into researching and helping to raise awareness of animal warfare in Thailand. Until recently, animals had ZERO rights in Thailand. While some animals were illegal to own or trade (normally due to being endangered) an animal could be mistreated, beaten or killed and there was nothing the authorities could do.

While at university (and studying zoology) I did a one month volunteer program at WFFT (I recommend you visit their site for lots of great background information about how things have improved and what still needs to be done). During my stay, I learnt a lot about the hideous mistreatment and exploitation around Thailand of the animals, most scary of which were those involved in the tourist industry. You know those great elephant treks that people like to do when they visit Thailand? Where do you think the elephants come from and how do you think they are trained (broken) into being obedient? Here's a clue:

post-5978-0-40768600-1428422096.jpg

And the tiger temple? Yeah, those tigers and just chilled and relaxed and enjoying their lives. They are usually caught from the wild, and are often heavily sedated while tourists pose next to them. Moreover, it is not uncommon for these tigers to "go missing" and suddenly arrive at the border to Laos, trying to be smuggled into China for traditional medicine. Everyone has a price, even the "monks" that watch over the so called Buddhist temple. 

post-5978-0-22598500-1428422228.png

there has been some good news recently, with the government confiscating and relocating many of the tigers to zoos and nature reserves where they'll live out their days without tourists desperate to snap a picture of a stoned individual.

So, how does Linus come into this? Simple. For those who follow his (mostly) great instagram page you'll know he's been posting a lot of pics recently from his family holiday around SE Asia. Unfortunately, Linus has fallen into the trap that so many have when they come here. They see these animals, and presume that they are treated as well as most captive animals are in North America and Western Europe. This simply isn't true and people need to stop believing this and supporting this horrible trade and abuse. If more people become aware of this then the industry will lose money and people involved will look for jobs elsewhere.

post-5978-0-62454900-1428422850_thumb.jp

It's not possible for me to list all the different ways that animals are abused in this part of the world, but a quick Google search will reveal a lot of things you probably already know, but don't want to believe. I implore you to do some research and join in with a discussion in this thread. A REAL conversation almost always brings about progress.

post-5978-0-40164100-1428422863.jpg

Hope I didn't sound to preachy, and hope we get a lively discussion hear and that Linus stumbles upon this thread and joins in.

n/b: There are some really horrible pictures out there regarding the illegal wildlife trade, so please don't post them as I don't want this thread being taken down

For sticking around and reading the whole thing, here is a picture I took of goat:

post-5978-0-79373400-1428422998.jpg

post-5978-0-40768600-1428422096.jpg

post-5978-0-22598500-1428422228.png

post-5978-0-62454900-1428422850_thumb.jp

post-5978-0-40164100-1428422863.jpg

post-5978-0-79373400-1428422998.jpg

Custom Watercooled Parvum Systems S2.0: Vulpes

Combining spare parts into something worthy: Frankenstein

BitFenix Phenom gaming powerhouse: Blood in the Snow

You should use spoiler, some members here are very sensitive and have weak hearts.

@Random_her0

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

Nice background you have, quite the story! Hats off to you. 

Thats a prett bad situation over there, really sucks. Thanks for sharing the knowledge. 

Bleigh!  Ever hear of AC series? 

Yes we all saw linus messing with tigers but that dosent mean he will exploit them.

Not saying he'll exploit them, I'm saying the tigers he's with ARE exploited. As I mentioned, I'm not blaming Linus at all in fact the opposite. I'm blaming the owners of these places which trick people into thinking they are taking photos with happy, well treated animals.

I agree with your views 

But honestly, Linus was on holiday, I think animal preservation was far from his mind, he was just trying to have a nice time with his family, he is busy and deserves a break to relax and enjoy life

I think judging him for seeing some animals with his family is a little harsh, I dont think Linus would like animals to be exploited, I mean look how much he cares for his cats!!!!

I am not here to speak for him, he is more than capable to do that himself,

However Linus DOES have some influence, its possible he could help raise awareness, maybe mention some charities or something

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

this topic is going to get locked don't show them images!!!

l Intel Core i7 4790K @ 4.5Ghz l Asus VII Ranger ROG l MSI GTX 970 @ 1555MHz l 

PC PART PICKER

Not saying he'll exploit them, I'm saying the tigers he's with ARE exploited. As I mentioned, I'm not blaming Linus at all in fact the opposite. I'm blaming the owners of these places which trick people into thinking they are taking photos with happy, well treated animals.

Arent those Buddhist tiger temple's,no way this happen's there,they are the most peaceful people on the planet.

Op you are a idiot for judging linus.

I agree with your views 

But honestly, Linus was on holiday, I think animal preservation was far from his mind, he was just trying to have a nice time with his family, he is busy and deserves a break to relax and enjoy life

I think judging him for seeing some animals with his family is a little harsh, I dont think Linus would like animals to be exploited, I mean look how much he cares for his cats!!!!

I am not here to speak for him, he is more than capable to do that himself,

However Linus DOES have some influence, its possible he could help raise awareness, maybe mention some charities or something

Absolutely, and so many people make the same mistake. I hope he can use some of his fame to stop it happening to others. Plenty of great places to see animals in SE Asia where they treat the animals well

Look OP Im sure Linus had no idea and even if he did there is nothing he can do.

Agree that he had no idea (and 99% of people don't, which is an issue). And I disagree that there's nothing he can do. Guy has a huge platform, he can easily raise some sort of awareness.

Yea, that's fucked up. But they have to make money somehow..

Yea, that's fucked up. But they have to make money somehow..

Would never want anyone to go hungry, but I can assure you there are ample alternative ways of making money off of tourism in Thailand.

...and then there's exploitation of low wage workers and unchecked industrial pollution.

The more you know

Makes me kinds un-proud of being an Asian, although I have and never will stand for these practices.

problems on problems in this region

Was contemplating posting something like this as well, because its something that I would think would be very well known.

But I've done the same thing in Thailand and Indonesia and well...I had fun doing it (in ignorance). But until we breed domesticated elephants, it should really be heavily punished. Seeing them in the wild or at parks where they are happy and having fun is one of the best sights in the world.

I also disagree with the images in spoilers, it's probably best people realised this stuff happens in very clear terms.

This is a very important, OH shiny!

The weird kid in the corner eating glue
“People think that I must be a very strange person. This is not correct. I have the heart of a small boy. It is in a glass jar on my desk.” - Stephen King

I agree 100% with you. Although Linus doesn't allways need to be "politically correct" or whatever. I'd be good if he would show that he is aware that these issues exist, but I don't blame him too much for not showing this. 

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

Main rig:

i7-4790 - 24GB RAM - GTX 970 - Samsung 840 240GB Evo - 2x 2TB Seagate. - 4 monitors - G710+ - G600 - Zalman Z9U3

Other devices

Oneplus One 64GB Sandstone

Surface Pro 3 - i7 - 256Gb

Surface RT

Server:

SuperMicro something - Xeon e3 1220 V2 - 12GB RAM - 16TB of Seagates 

Was contemplating posting something like this as well, because its something that I would think would be very well known.

But I've done the same thing in Thailand and Indonesia and well...I had fun doing it (in ignorance). But until we breed domesticated elephants, it should really be heavily punished. Seeing them in the wild or at parks where they are happy and having fun is one of the best sights in the world.

I also disagree with the images in spoilers, it's probably best people realised this stuff happens in very clear terms.

It always does come down to ignorance, which is why we need as much awareness as possible. And I agree with you on the pics, but don't want this getting taken down.

I agree 100% with you. Although Linus doesn't allways need to be "politically correct" or whatever. I'd be good if he would show that he is aware that these issues exist, but I don't blame him too much for not showing this. 

I don't "blame" him either as I'm sure he wasn't aware. Hopefully that'll change and it will also change for many more people!

I certainly wasn't aware of how bad the situation is over there. I knew something had to be up with that tiger though, for a second I even thought it was a very realistic statue or something. 

Side note: most forums would have had issues with people getting into a flame war or just plain being disrespectful. Good job for keeping this civilized LTT community!

The raising of awareness of the issue is the important part here, not that Linus unwittingly participated in it. I entirely agree with you OP.
Now if we could just get Linus to make it known somehow without overly intruding into his holiday time.

"The wheel?" "No thanks, I'll walk, its more natural" - thus was the beginning of the doom of the Human race.
Cheese monger.