LEGO PC? Total Geekdom will build it.

werto165

jb54xm0fpsuvoxhkjhlx.png

"And there’s no one more fit for that task than Mike Schropp, the Total Geek behind the Total Geekdom website. Schropp has been building Lego computers for years, from small home systems to massive multi-system farms. But for his first foray into constructing a saleable system, Schropp really outdid himself, going through many design iterations before settling on a compact 7.5″x 7.5″x 5.5″ system—practically as small as he could go and still fit the motherboard inside. His goal, he says, was to build something portable, endlessly customizable, and packed with the power of a full desktop computer."

wra6zfjobjxux41bm7xp.jpg

"The base system, which starts at $999, comes with an Intel i3-4360 Dual Core processor, 8 GB of memory, a 120 GB SSD, and an Intel HD4600 graphics card. Three different cases (shown above) are currently available, each featuring a user-controlled LED light bar that encircles the top of the case and displays up to 20 different colors. You can learn much more about Schropp’s design process, and check out the full specs and pricing for several different builds over at Total Geekdom. " 

Lego-Computer-Cases-1024x400.jpg

Lego-Computer-Features-1024x680.jpg

You wont be fitting in a Titan X or an r9 295x2 but personally I think it's really awesome, working lego buttons, well placed LED strips makes this case look really cool. Look at the second link to see more awesome pictures, they also do bio computers and they've made a folding rig out of lego too, however that one is 4 years old at this point, but still really amazing. 

Source: http://gizmodo.com/a-customizable-computer-built-entirely-from-legos-1695674879?utm_campaign=socialflow_gizmodo_twitter&utm_source=gizmodo_twitter&utm_medium=socialflow 

http://www.totalgeekdom.com/

http://www.totalgeekdom.com/?p=1725

http://www.totalgeekdom.com/?page_id=1694

CPU: Intel 3570 GPUs: Nvidia GTX 660Ti Case: Fractal design Define R4  Storage: 1TB WD Caviar Black & 240GB Hyper X 3k SSD Sound: Custom One Pros Keyboard: Ducky Shine 4 Mouse: Logitech G500

@legopc ?

This is cool though, reminds me of that knex build

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

Main rig:

i7-4790 - 24GB RAM - GTX 970 - Samsung 840 240GB Evo - 2x 2TB Seagate. - 4 monitors - G710+ - G600 - Zalman Z9U3

Other devices

Oneplus One 64GB Sandstone

Surface Pro 3 - i7 - 256Gb

Surface RT

Server:

SuperMicro something - Xeon e3 1220 V2 - 12GB RAM - 16TB of Seagates 

Those specs for $1000? What the fuck are they smoking?

Ikr, doesn't even come with a GPU lol

Essentially paying a apremium for some dude to put lego blocks together -___-

Gaming PC: Case: NZXT Phantom 820 Black | PSU: XFX 750w PRO Black Edition 80Plus Gold (Platinum) | CPU: Intel Core i5 4690K | CPU Cooler: BE QUIET! Dark Rock Pro 2 | MB: ASUS Sabertooth Z97 Mark S | RAM: 24GB Kingston HyperX and Corsair Vengeance 1866MHz | GPU: MSI R9 280X 3G | SSD: Samsung 840 Evo 250GB | HDD: 9TB Total | Keyboard: K70 RGB Brown | Mouse: R.A.T MMO7

Laptop: HP Envy 15-j151sa | 1920x1080 60HZ LED | APU: AMD A10-5750M 2.5GHZ - 3.5GHZ | 8GB DDR3 1600mhz | GPU: AMD  HD 8650G + 8750M Dual Graphics | 1TB SSHD

Here is the breakdown on costs-

I buy all the components through either Amazon or Newegg. I’m just a regular dude, so I buy at retail. Here is a brief run down of components

Motherboard = $150

CPU i3-4360 = $150

Memory = $70

SSD = $80

DVD/CD Drive = $35

CPU Cooler = $50

Wireless card = $30

Power Supply = $70

Case Fan = $20

LEDs + Controller = $25

USB Extensions + Wiring + Antennas =$35

Computer Parts Total = $715

+

Lego Bricks = $150

Grand Total = $865

For $50 more you can get a i5-4590s quad core CPU instead, and an i7-4790s is also available. . I only went with the i3-4360 option for those that didn't need much processing power.

Ikr, doesn't even come with a GPU lol

Essentially paying a apremium for some dude to put lego blocks together -___-

Correct, no dedicated GPU. The system wasn't designed for gaming really, it's targeted more towards general users that want something with more than enough processing power and capabilities to handle the majority of user needs. The HD4600 isn't magic, I understand, but it's surprisingly capable of playing a fair amount games, albeit at reduced settings and resolutions. There is more information on my site that talks about gaming and some of the games you can play and what you can expect. But like I said, it's not designed as a gaming system.

- snip -

It's okay do have discussions in news threads unless it's against the CoC which maybe I missed.

He said it doesn't have a GPU and he explained why, he also replied to guys saying it's over priced.

Edited by alpenwasser
removed quote content

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

$1000 for an i3 ahahaahahah

I would never personally buy one, I think it's more for the "lego enthusiasts", I see countless lego sets going for ridiculous amounts of money on sites such as ebay.  People where money is no problem for them, would buy it in an instance. I think it would be cooler if they provided the lego and the PC parts and some instructions that would be more enticing. 

CPU: Intel 3570 GPUs: Nvidia GTX 660Ti Case: Fractal design Define R4  Storage: 1TB WD Caviar Black & 240GB Hyper X 3k SSD Sound: Custom One Pros Keyboard: Ducky Shine 4 Mouse: Logitech G500

I can build one of these right now wtf. How hard is this to make for an actual Lego fan kid? 

Just to clarify, in case my above reply didn't.

I'm not a sales rep, I'm totalgeek, I designed and built this Lego system. I don't have a company really, this is my hobby, though it's become more of a full time hobby as the years have gone by. My day job is engine building.

I'm a geek, I love tech, computers, games, Lego. 

If anyone has any questions feel free to ask.

I can build one of these right now wtf. How hard is this to make for an actual Lego fan kid? 

Not everyone would have the time, I would build my own but it would end up looking like a mess due to having a lack of the same colour. 

You can do whatever you want. Do you have the motivation to do it is the real question. If it's so easy then I will be here waiting for screenshots of your build :).

Judging from your attitude though I feel like I am going to be a bit disappointed.

My PC: i7 3770k @ 4.4 Ghz || Hyper 212 Evo || Intel Extreme Motherboard DZ77GA || EVGA Hybrid 980ti || Corsair Vengeance Blue 16GB || Samsung 840 Evo 120 GB || WD Black 1TB

Peripherals: Corsair K70 RGB || Sentey Pro Revolution Gaming Mouse || Beyerdynamic DT 990 Premium 250 Ohm Headphone || Benq XL2420Z Monitor

Correct, no dedicated GPU. The system wasn't designed for gaming really, it's targeted more towards general users that want something with more than enough processing power and capabilities to handle the majority of user needs. The HD4600 isn't magic, I understand, but it's surprisingly capable of playing a fair amount games, albeit at reduced settings and resolutions. There is more information on my site that talks about gaming and some of the games you can play and what you can expect. But like I said, it's not designed as a gaming system.

That's pretty cool. I can imagine it being a problem with a discrete GPU dumping heat into the case, as I doubt Lego bricks can take much, but for a low power system that looks pretty sweet. Even better when Broadwell desktop comes out with Iris Pro Graphics at 65W TDP.

You can do whatever you want. Do you have the motivation to do it is the real question. If it's so easy then I will be here waiting for screenshots of your build :).

Judging from your attitude though I feel like I am going to be a bit disappointed.

Yea I don't play with Legos anymore. I would do it if I had another ITX board lying around. 

Not everyone would have the time, I would build my own but it would end up looking like a mess due to having a lack of the same colour. 

I like the rainbow effect lol :D Might would be like that too. 

Lego and a PC. Two of the best things, put together.

@Redheadsrule13 This is what you should've built. :P

That's pretty cool. I can imagine it being a problem with a discrete GPU dumping heat into the case, as I doubt Lego bricks can take much, but for a low power system that looks pretty sweet. Even better when Broadwell desktop comes out with Iris Pro Graphics at 65W TDP.

Thanks!

Yeah, in a system this small the discrete GPU would add another element of heat into play. I would have to design accordingly to account for the added heat. The Lego bricks are surprisingly quite robust, they're made from ABS plastic, which holds up extremely well. My other Lego based system that I still have and have been using as my daily system is comprised of over 2000 bricks, and has 3 complete systems inside (motherboards x3, CPU x3 etc.) This system has discrete graphics cards and all 3 CPUs are quad i7 (Sandy Bridge, Haswell) and are all overclocked. I've been using this system for almost 4 years now with all 3 CPU crunching at 100% usage 24/7 on World Community Grid. So it's been an excellent test rig for development. The Lego pieces are just as tight as they were when I put them together all those years ago. Here is a link if you want to see more info on that system - http://www.totalgeekdom.com/?p=572

This smaller form factor system has held up really well in testing too. With an i7-4790s and 8 threads going at 100% during an XTU stress test for 24 hours the processor only gets to around 66c, and the case air temp isn't that much hotter than ambient.

I'm really looking forward to when Broadwell comes out in desktop form, the Iris graphics will probably offer a decent boost.

Forgot it was in USD lol in GBP it would be like £670 which isn't totally bad tbh the USD made it seem super expensive for what it had xD

Gaming PC: Case: NZXT Phantom 820 Black | PSU: XFX 750w PRO Black Edition 80Plus Gold (Platinum) | CPU: Intel Core i5 4690K | CPU Cooler: BE QUIET! Dark Rock Pro 2 | MB: ASUS Sabertooth Z97 Mark S | RAM: 24GB Kingston HyperX and Corsair Vengeance 1866MHz | GPU: MSI R9 280X 3G | SSD: Samsung 840 Evo 250GB | HDD: 9TB Total | Keyboard: K70 RGB Brown | Mouse: R.A.T MMO7

Laptop: HP Envy 15-j151sa | 1920x1080 60HZ LED | APU: AMD A10-5750M 2.5GHZ - 3.5GHZ | 8GB DDR3 1600mhz | GPU: AMD  HD 8650G + 8750M Dual Graphics | 1TB SSHD

Forgot it was in USD lol in GBP it would be like £670 which isn't totally bad tbh the USD made it seem super expensive for what it had xD

Ahh, that makes sense. No problem :)

-bloop-

How many design iterations did the case go through before you thought it was ready to be sold?

"The of and to a in is I that it for you was with on as have but be they"

Thread reopened - if you have an issue, report it - don't complain about it for 3 pages publicly. 

How many design iterations did the case go through before you thought it was ready to be sold?

I went through about 7 iterations in total. The first couple iterations were large changes in form factors, with each successive becoming smaller. From there each iteration was usually a change in the way that a feature worked (moving the front USB ports around, changing case buttons). Beyond that there were changes based on my findings during thermal testing. In total I spent around 4 months designing, testing, changing and re-testing again before I settled in on the design that exists today. The final week involved a 170 hour CPU/GPU/Memory test at max utilization, just to ensure the thermals were okay and that everything seemed completely stable. Since then it's been being used as daily system to make sure there are no bugs or things that need to be changed. System testing with both Windows and Linux during that time.

I went through about 7 iterations in total. The first couple iterations were large changes in form factors, with each successive becoming smaller. From there each iteration was usually a change in the way that a feature worked (moving the front USB ports around, changing case buttons). Beyond that there were changes based on my findings during thermal testing. In total I spent around 4 months designing, testing, changing and re-testing again before I settled in on the design that exists today. The final week involved a 170 hour CPU/GPU/Memory test at max utilization, just to ensure the thermals were okay and that everything seemed completely stable. Since then it's been being used as daily system to make sure there are no bugs or things that need to be changed. System testing with both Windows and Linux during that time.

Do you have pictures of the other iterations? I would be very interested in seeing the evolution of the design. Have you considered doing a model with a dedicated GPU with a PCIe riser cable? It shouldn't be that hard the reign in the thermals for something like a 750 Ti. 

"The of and to a in is I that it for you was with on as have but be they"