so whats the point in gaming at 4k?

HmmR

the tittle says it all 

so why would play at 4k in 30 to 20 fps (average guy with average money)when u can play at 144fps at 1080p?

i just want to know your opinion or all u guys just going because it has more pixels 

you dont have to play on ultra settings to enjoy 4k, i play at medium settings and am still amazed by how good the image is.

Bragging rights mainly.

Most gamers will prefer 1080p / 1440p @ 144hz

1440p 144hz is harder to drive than 4k 60fps... well thats if you're aiming to hit near the 144hz limit, if you buy one and only get 70fps its a bit pointless.

Gaming PC: • AMD Ryzen 7 3900x • 16gb Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200mhz • Founders Edition 2080ti • 2x Crucial 1tb nvme ssd • NZXT H1• Logitech G915TKL • Logitech G Pro • Asus ROG XG32VQ • SteelSeries Arctis Pro Wireless

Laptop: MacBook Pro M1 512gb

double post! 

Gaming PC: • AMD Ryzen 7 3900x • 16gb Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200mhz • Founders Edition 2080ti • 2x Crucial 1tb nvme ssd • NZXT H1• Logitech G915TKL • Logitech G Pro • Asus ROG XG32VQ • SteelSeries Arctis Pro Wireless

Laptop: MacBook Pro M1 512gb

Just waiting on that 4K swift.till than I'm happy with my 144hz 1080p. Looks good to me but I've yet to play in 1440 or 4K.

<p>CPU: Intel i7 4790k(4.9GHz), Motherboard: ASUS sabertooth Z97 Mark 1 RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB (2 x 8GB) GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 4GB Superclocked ACX 2.0 (2 way SLI) PSU: EVGA 850w G2 Storage: Intel 730 Series 240GB 2.5" SSD, Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB Case: NZXT H440 Designed by Razer, EK,Alphacool,Bitspower custom loop.

“Peace cannot be kept by force. It can only be achieved by understanding.”

Albert Einstein 14 December 1930

so why would play at 4k in 30 to 20 fps (average guy with average money)when u can play at 144fps at 1080p?

That's a false dilemma. 3840x2160 at 60 FPS is within the reach of the sort of gamer who is dying to upgrade to 4k.

Not worth it imo, I'd like 200 fps average for a 144hz monitor ideally.

I'm completely 4k60htz now on my 28" monitor and LG 42" ips TV. I couldn't go back. The level of detail, especially in the distance is amazing, but its not for everyone. My main rig has water cooled 290s in Xfire and my ITX TV rig had a GTX 980. Its worth noting that you don't need AA and some graphic settings in games can be turned down with very little notable affect, but provide massive gains in FPS. (Tree relief in Far Cry 4 for example)

Until you have played at 4k, and seen uncompressed footage, its hard to sell anyone on it. But once you make the jump, you'll never go back.

Side note, i'm a photographer, so on my desktop, the 4k has productivity benefits too. 

Spoiler
  • Primary PC (Photo editing and gaming on a 4k Monitor): Intel I7 4790k @4.5ghz @1.2v | 24GB  Corsair Vengeance Ram @1600Mhz | 1x Palit GTX 1080 JetStream| 480GB Crucial SSD | 2x WD Blue 500gb | Corsair RM1000 | Corsair 600t
  • Secondary PC (Gaming and watching films on a 42" 4K LG IPS TV @4k60): Inteli7 4790k | Corsair H60 | Asus H81l-plus ITX | 16GB Kingston Hyperx Beast 1600MHz | 1x GTX 980 G1 Windforce| 1x Samsung 1 TB 850 EVO SSD |Corsair CXM750W | Coolermaster Elite 130

one single 290? If you have multiple 290s then that would be above average. I mean people who have a 960 or a 280x who game at 4k @10fps

That is stupid.

What if all they play is CS:GO, LoL, sc2 or another similarly light game?

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Even with my 270 I quite enjoyed 4k with things like CS:GO, LoL, Arma, etc, it really depends on what games you play. Look at Linus' video for example, he played plenty of games at 4k 60fps with a R9 285, but if he tried to play DA:I for example that'd be a whole other story.

I just dont get buying a monitor more expensive than your system it self. I dont know what you like to do and I wont criticize you for doing it. You do whatever you want. Im sure there is a valid reason to do it but for me, I wouldnt do it.

Im so patriotic, I piss red white and blue. My doctor told me it was pancreatic cancer, I told him to SHUT HIS COMMIE MOUTH.

-A shotgun wielding redneck

Because your console friend cant do that.

CPU: AMD FX 8350 | GPU: AMD R9 270 Windforce | MOBO: ASRock 990FX Extreme 3 | RAM: Kingston HyperX 8GB | Case: X Predator X1 |CPU COOLER: Hyper T4

NAZIS WILL RISE.

I just dont get buying a monitor more expensive than your system it self. I dont know what you like to do and I wont criticize you for doing it. You do whatever you want. Im sure there is a valid reason to do it but for me, I wouldnt do it.

For the same reason you spend more on a television. You don't update you're monitor as often as you're PC. A monitor can easily see you through 2-3 rigs. And at 4k, which like it or not is the new industry standard, it's not going to be replaced by something better anytime soon.

Spoiler
  • Primary PC (Photo editing and gaming on a 4k Monitor): Intel I7 4790k @4.5ghz @1.2v | 24GB  Corsair Vengeance Ram @1600Mhz | 1x Palit GTX 1080 JetStream| 480GB Crucial SSD | 2x WD Blue 500gb | Corsair RM1000 | Corsair 600t
  • Secondary PC (Gaming and watching films on a 42" 4K LG IPS TV @4k60): Inteli7 4790k | Corsair H60 | Asus H81l-plus ITX | 16GB Kingston Hyperx Beast 1600MHz | 1x GTX 980 G1 Windforce| 1x Samsung 1 TB 850 EVO SSD |Corsair CXM750W | Coolermaster Elite 130

The point is that 4k at medium/high settings looks way better than 1080p at ultra. Tried both. And to get an enjoyable experience you don't even need to sell your car, my R9 290 handles it fine; besides you could get two and get very close to ultra, and it would be cheaper than buying, say, a 980.

Oh, and for coding it's Godsend. If you have the eyesight for it, that is.

Still not cheaper where I live and I get a free game if I go with the 980. Witcher 3: Wild Hunt.   :( Guess I need to travel to Mordor.

@ Everyone else: I don't see the point in gaming at 4k but that is just IMO. I will play at 1440p for the time being.

Edit: I will wait for 4k 144Hz

Love cats and Linus. Check out linuscattips-fan-club. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Z9QDVn and Asus ROG Swift. I love anime as well. Check out Heaven Society heaven-society. My own personal giveaway thread http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/387856-evga-geforce-gtx-970-giveaway-presented-by-grimneo/.

My monitor was only $350

RIP in pepperonis m8s

My monitor was only $350

What monitor?

Love cats and Linus. Check out linuscattips-fan-club. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Z9QDVn and Asus ROG Swift. I love anime as well. Check out Heaven Society heaven-society. My own personal giveaway thread http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/387856-evga-geforce-gtx-970-giveaway-presented-by-grimneo/.

What monitor?

Acer B286HK on Black Friday

RIP in pepperonis m8s

Acer B286HK on Black Friday

I still have my 7 year old ACER 1200p monitor lol. I remember when 4k TV's were $60,000. I was at Sears and guy was trying to talk me into buying the tv lol. 55 inch.

With DX12 coming later this year. 4K optimized games mean far better resolution and graphics. All the current game are developed for 1080P. 

one single 290? If you have multiple 290s then that would be above average. I mean people who have a 960 or a 280x who game at 4k @10fps

That is stupid.

4K isn't as hard to run as you think I get 27-40fps(around 35 average) in Battlefield 4 Ultra in 4K on a single GTX670.

There are only ver few games that would be for me unplayable in 4k like Crysis 3 or almost all Ubisoft games.

And most games aren't as demanding as Battlefield 4.

RTX2070OC 

4K isn't as hard to run as you think I get 27-40fps(around 35 average) in Battlefield 4 Ultra in 4K on a GTX670.

There are only ver few games that would be for me unplayable in 4k and if you have something like a Titan X 4k will be easy to run.

27-40fps gross. No thanks. Not even worth it. I will wait for 4k at 144Hz

27-40fps gross. No thanks. Not even worth it. I will wait for 4k at 144Hz

That is with a single GTX670 which is a 3 year old GPU! (You can get the card used for like $150)

A Titan X does 70-80fps.

I'll take 4K/60fps over 1080p/144fps any day,

RTX2070OC 

Because for about £500 you can get two 290Xs or two 970s and max a lot of games at 4K and play at 60fps. For a few you will have to turn Ambient Occlusion and a couple of other settings down to "high".

It's just not true that 4K means limiting yourself to 30 or 20 fps.

That is with a single GTX670 which is a 3 year old GPU! (You can get the card used for like $150)
A Titan X does 70-80fps.

This is true. The only reason I upgraded from my 580s when I did was because their display interfaces (whether HDMI or DisplayPort) only supported 4K 30Hz. I would have upgraded pretty quickly anyway, but it only became urgent because of something that has nothing to do with the GPU itself.

A Titan X does 70-80fps.

I have 680 4GB :) also I'll wait for 4k 144Hz. Also I don't play at 1080p.

when you are able to play a game at 144fps in 1080p, you should be able to play at 40fps in 4K as well.

As of the why ... it just looks better.

Not necessarily. Frame buffer is a huge concern with running 4k. A 780ti can game 1080p at 144hz but cannot power a 4k game very well because of the 3gb frame buffer. Hence the 12 gb buffer on the titan x.

Handing out TechRx's

A Titan X does 70-80fps.

I personally would rather have that extra fps. Sure it looks nicer but the 144fps makes everything feel so smooth

Im so patriotic, I piss red white and blue. My doctor told me it was pancreatic cancer, I told him to SHUT HIS COMMIE MOUTH.

-A shotgun wielding redneck