LGBT community

carguy86
21 minutes ago, AshleyAshes said:

I just joined the GTX 1080 club for the low low price of $595 CAD + Tax. :o

I’m still in the 9500GT club! Whoooo performance!!!

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

What's sad is, I'm MORE exited that this means that my workstation's current R9 390X can be hand-me-downed to my livingroom HTPC, which will upgrade that HTPC box into being an Xbox One X rivaling 4K gaming machine. :)

3 hours ago, AshleyAshes said:

What's sad is, I'm MORE exited that this means that my workstation's current R9 390X can be hand-me-downed to my livingroom HTPC, which will upgrade that HTPC box into being an Xbox One X rivaling 4K gaming machine. :)

If you include emulators, the array of games available makes the Xbox's library look negligible by comparison, not to mention rendering PS2 remakes virtually completely redundant.

Meanwhile, I'm testing another Intel Bay Trail system (a Pentium J2900) with some software 1080P HEVC decode in VLC, and am fairly impressed. I didn't think it would be much faster from my 1.4 GHz tablet (which routinely approached maximum utilization with anime, let alone live action), but that extra 1.0 GHz really seems to help. 

For some reason, whenever I use that thing, I come away impressed, perhaps because I've such low expectations of a 2.4 GHz Bay Trail in an oversized desktop case. Fable is also quite playable on it on medium to high settings, again, I expected barely playable on low.

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

Just now, Zodiark1593 said:

If you include emulators, the array of games available makes the Xbox's library look negligible by comparison, not to mention rendering PS2 remakes virtually completely redundant.

Meanwhile, I'm testing another Intel Bay Trail system (a Pentium J2900) with some software 1080P HEVC decode in VLC, and am fairly impressed. I didn't think it would be much faster from my 1.4 GHz tablet (which routinely approached maximum utilization with anime, let alone live action), but that extra 1.0 GHz really seems to help. 

The Xbox's game library has never really appealed to me.  It just has SO few exclusives that make it a compelling by.  There's only a handful of Xbox games that you can only get on an Xbox.  So Steam and some other stuff like you said is the way to go for me.  Though I am likely to get a PS4 Pro in the holidays since there are Japanese developed games that will remain a PlayStation exclusive.  Steam is slowly seeing more Japanese games arrive and I buy them there when they interest me, but some will only be on PlayStation.  That said, when one is talking specs, pure hardware wise, the Xbox One X trumps the PS4 Pro, it's just that when it comes to what really matters, software selection, I'd pick PS4 Pro. :)  Ya know, when a 3770K and 390X can't be used :P

38 minutes ago, AshleyAshes said:

The Xbox's game library has never really appealed to me.  It just has SO few exclusives that make it a compelling by.  There's only a handful of Xbox games that you can only get on an Xbox.  So Steam and some other stuff like you said is the way to go for me.  Though I am likely to get a PS4 Pro in the holidays since there are Japanese developed games that will remain a PlayStation exclusive.  Steam is slowly seeing more Japanese games arrive and I buy them there when they interest me, but some will only be on PlayStation.  That said, when one is talking specs, pure hardware wise, the Xbox One X trumps the PS4 Pro, it's just that when it comes to what really matters, software selection, I'd pick PS4 Pro. :)  Ya know, when a 3770K and 390X can't be used :P

One of my favorite Japanese games, Final Fantasy XII (zodiac job system with English patch), I've been playing on PCSX2 long before news of the PS4 one came to light, and at a higher resolution to boot. The only thing missing is the updated UI.

There are some games I really want that are PS4 exclusive (Persona says hi), but tbh, I really don't think it worth it to buy additional hardware that does literally the same job my PC can do, just for an exclusive or two. From a pure objective standpoint, a PS4 would be inferior, and would make no sense for me to buy.

My eyes see the past…

1 minute ago, Zodiark1593 said:

One of my favorite Japanese games, Final Fantasy XII (zodiac job system with English patch), I've been playing on PCSX2 long before news of the PS4 one came to light, and at a higher resolution to boot. The only thing missing is the updated UI.

There are some games I really want that are PS4 exclusive (Persona says hi), but tbh, I really don't think it worth it to buy additional hardware that does literally the same job my PC can do, just for an exclusive or two.

Persona 5 is the top of my 'Why to buy a PS4' list. :P

Though PCs can do some great things  Right now I have GTA5 going on my 4K TV with an HD 7950.  The game is 'running' at 3840x2160 with the graphics scaling set to 0.5x.  So the 3D game world is running at 1080p 60fps but I still get a 4K GUI. :D  Though it'll be all in 4K once the 390X gets moved into it.

4 hours ago, AshleyAshes said:

I just joined the GTX 1080 club for the low low price of $595 CAD + Tax. :o

Maybe I'm not exactly sure what to expect out of CAD, but that doesn't sound too bad. 

Especially since any good 1080s here start at around $550USD.

What 1080 did you grab?

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

26 minutes ago, AshleyAshes said:

Persona 5 is the top of my 'Why to buy a PS4' list. :P

Though PCs can do some great things  Right now I have GTA5 going on my 4K TV with an HD 7950.  The game is 'running' at 3840x2160 with the graphics scaling set to 0.5x.  So the 3D game world is running at 1080p 60fps but I still get a 4K GUI. :D  Though it'll be all in 4K once the 390X gets moved into it.

Valkyria Chronicles was definitely a triumphant moment for PC JRPG fans. Even a GTX 960 can run the game at 4k, 60 fps, with the art style looking extremely good at such resolutions. Okami is another artistic game that really only wants for lots of pixels.

My eyes see the past…

23 minutes ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

Maybe I'm not exactly sure what to expect out of CAD, but that doesn't sound too bad. 

Especially since any good 1080s here start at around $550USD.

What 1080 did you grab?

If you convert the currency directly, $595 CAD is $482 USD.

https://www.gigabyte.com/Graphics-Card/GV-N1080WF3OC-8GD#kf

A Gigabyte model, this one.

Just now, AshleyAshes said:

If you convert the currency directly, $595 CAD is $482 USD.

https://www.gigabyte.com/Graphics-Card/GV-N1080WF3OC-8GD#kf

A Gigabyte model, this one.

Oh, damn. I think that model goes for around $550-560US here.

Just now, Dan Castellaneta said:

Oh, damn. I think that model goes for around $550-560US here.

Keep in mind this is 'Open Box' sold by Amazon's Warehouse division, but that means I can return it just as easily as any Amazon purchase.  It regularly goes for $675 or so in Canada new.

Keep in mind this is 'Open Box' sold by Amazon's Warehouse division, but that means I can return it just as easily as any Amazon purchase.  It regularly goes for $675 or so in Canada new.

Ah, that's still not bad at all.

Especially if it works fine.

Just now, Dan Castellaneta said:

Ah, that's still not bad at all.

Especially if it works fine.

That was my thinking.  It's Amazon, if it turns up dead, I get to ship it back for free and all my money back.

That was my thinking.  It's Amazon, if it turns up dead, I get to ship it back for free and all my money back.

Yeah, Amazon tends to be good with returning things and getting refunds out of them.

I remember last year I bought a used CD box set (that was fulfilled by Amazon) that was missing two of the four CDs despite it being advertised as being complete, and I got the refund basically once it got to a shipping center.

2 minutes ago, AshleyAshes said:

That was how I ended up buying my GTX 960 in 2015 for about $160. I do wish it had more Vram, though there weren't any open box 4 GB models, meaning the price difference was far to great to justify for RAM alone (if I recall correctly, 4GB models approached $250). I did want the 970, but at nearly 2x the price, that also wasn't happening. 

My eyes see the past…

28 minutes ago, Zodiark1593 said:

That was how I ended up buying my GTX 960 in 2015 for about $160. I do wish it had more Vram, though there weren't any open box 4 GB models, meaning the price difference was far to great to justify for RAM alone (if I recall correctly, 4GB models approached $250). I did want the 970, but at nearly 2x the price, that also wasn't happening. 

Right now with only 3GB in the HD 7950, 4K is a challenge except in simpler games or Kodi.  So the 8GB in my 390X will be a huge step up.

That said, won't lie, with my 'laptop recycling build' I kinda wanna use the GTX 1080 in there for some benchmarks first. :P