A Blind Camera Test Featuring One M9, iPhone 6+, others

Kherm

nokia-lumia-icon-929-1.jpg

In a blind camera test featuring the One M9, iPhone 6Plus, Lumia 930, Note 4, Galaxy S5, and the Nexus 6, we are able to see which phones reign supreme in the camera department. The results may surprise some, however, with myself being the owner of the 930, they make perfect sense.

The results are:

1. Nokia Lumia 930 – 6032 votes
2. Samsung Galaxy Note 4 – 5936 votes
3. iPhone 6 Plus 4344 – votes
4. Google Nexus 6 3965 – votes
5. Samsung Galaxy S5 – 3282 votes
6. HTC One M9 – 1247 votes

The fact that the brand new S5 and M9 both fall in last just dissapoints me, companies keep going for thinner and thinner designs, but they also keep making sacrifices on very important factors such as thermals and cameras. That's one reason why i love my 9.8mm brick of a Lumia Icon. The battery lasts for 2 days straight, is extremely robust (you can tell it has N3310 in its blood), and the camera is just phenomenal. Check out the results below

pano1.jpg

crop-labeled-1.jpg

crop-labeled-3.jpg

post-81427-0-85491900-1427583409.png

pano2-labeled.jpg

crop-labeled-5.jpg

crop-labeled-4.jpg

post-81427-0-16533800-1427583575.png

pano3.jpg

crop-labeled-7.jpg

crop-labeled-8.jpg

post-81427-0-93698700-1427583760.png

pano4.jpg

crop-labeled-10.jpg

post-81427-0-17914200-1427583925.png

pano5.jpg

crop-labeled-11.jpg

crop-labeled-12.jpg

post-81427-0-68758300-1427584106.png

pano6-labeled.jpg

crop-labeled-16.jpg

crop-labeled-15.jpg

post-81427-0-23500100-1427584357.png

Source: http://www.phonearena.com/news/Nokia-Lumia-930-wins-our-blind-camera-comparison-followed-by-Galaxy-Note-4-HTC-One-M9-ends-up-last_id67659

Having problems with your fresh Windows 10 install? PM Me!
Windows 10- Want To Disable Telemetry, Disable Cortana, Disable Windows Updates? Look at my guide HERE
LTT Beginners Guide  | Community Standards | TN&R Posting Guidelines

These photos mean nothing. 

All i can see is changes in white balance which is 100% software-based (it's actually JPG post-processing). 

We need to see 50%-100% crops to determine sharpness, chromatic abberation - you know - like CAMERA GEAR REVIEWERS do. The color of an image is only very slightly representative of a certain hardware's quality.

edit: ok so I didn't see photo 6. That's what i'm talking about. Don't know why couldn't show that for all pictures tho

This is what I think of Pre-Ordering video games: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wp98SH3vW2Y

These photos mean nothing. 

All i can see is changes in white balance which is 100% software-based (it's actually JPG post-processing). 

We need to see 50%-100% crops to determine sharpness, chromatic abberation - you know - like CAMERA GEAR REVIEWERS do. The color of an image is only very slightly representative of a certain hardware's quality.

edit: ok so I didn't see photo 6. That's what i'm talking about. Don't know why couldn't show that for all pictures tho

added zooms for all scenes  :)

Windows 10- Want To Disable Telemetry, Disable Cortana, Disable Windows Updates? Look at my guide HERE

why no s6? anyway the only change for htc from last year is the camera and it sucks so bad 

and sorry but no one cares about windows phones

Edited by s3ns3

why no s6? anyway the only change for htc from last year is the camera and it sucks so bad 

Nice edit, said nobody, ever

And, believe it or not, some people, like myself, like Windows Phone, and Windows Mobile 10 will be its saving grace

And also, if you go to the tech news main page, and sort by date, the post right under this one, by Victorious Secret happens to contain a lot of people who care about Windows Phone

Edited by Kherm

I never like these tests because they always rely on humans voting on what they think "looks best". Most people don't know what actually makes a picture good on a technical level. There are actual scientific methods and legitimate metrics for measuring a camera's capability. A site like http://www.dxomark.com/will be a lot more useful if you want legitimate information.

These are pretty much nothing more than a glorified popularity contest.

CPU: i7 4790K  RAM: 32 GB 2400 MHz  Motherboard: Asus Z-97 Pro  GPU: GTX 770  SSD: 256 GB Samsung 850 Pro  OS: Windows 8.1 64-bit

Nice edit, said nobody, ever

And, believe it or not, some people, like myself, like Windows Phone, and Windows Mobile 10 will be its saving grace

And also, if you go to the tech news main page, and sort by date, the post right under this one, by Victorious Secret happens to contain a lot of people who care about Windows Phone

windows phone has under 3% marketshare.so nobody cares really

nokia will go full android in 2016

Edited by s3ns3

windows phone has under 3% marketshare.so nobody cares really

nokia will go full android in 2016

How so the hardware division is owned and operated by Microsoft and has been for a few generations of phones. Microsoft would not shoot themselves in the foot with android (except in very low end phones)

looks like the loss of ultra pixel main camera hurt low light performance for HTC

iPhone has realistic colors for low light

S5 has realistic colors for brighter scenes

why lumia 930? why not 1020?

why wasn't S6 tested?

2017 Macbook Pro 15 inch

I never like these tests because they always rely on humans voting on what they think "looks best". Most people don't know what actually makes a picture good on a technical level. There are actual scientific methods and legitimate metrics for measuring a camera's capability. A site like http://www.dxomark.com/will be a lot more useful if you want legitimate information.

The only way to seriously test everything is to leave EVERY SINGLE PHONE in auto mode, not RAW, and rig up every single phone in a rig that largely keeps them shooting the same thing at the same distance. 

You have to remove "advantages" and equalize the testing, THEN start taking photos. Its just a e-peen measuring contest when it comes to camera phones. All phones are largely meh (to me, since I'm used to playing with 36mp on my camera). Its all the same. Even in 'RAW' modes. Its a tiny ass sensor with "no name" optics. They don't suck, for sure, but its not some life changing thing that some people claim. 

RVs8Ntc.jpg

Taken with an iPhone. It looks good enough. This is as much giving a shit I do when it comes to a camera phone. 

I wish that a control camera was added. Like a $1000+ camera to see what the scene actually looks like. I find it hard to judge the pictures without knowing the actual scene.

Yeah, I'd want a reference picture taken with a proper camera. A simple "which do you like best" test is just pointless.

Also, Kherm,

The results may surprise some, however, with myself being the owner of the 930, they make perfect sense.

The results are:

That's a 1.6% difference between first and second. Given the nature of the "test", that is hardly significant.

This is just pointless. All it shows is that people like "more colour".

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

Yeah, I'd want a reference picture taken with a proper camera. A simple "which do you like best" test is just pointless.

Also, Kherm,

The results may surprise some, however, with myself being the owner of the 930, they make perfect sense.

The results are:

That's a 1.6% difference between first and second. Given the nature of the "test", that is hardly significant.

Yes, I know that the Lumia may have a small lead, but the emphasis is on the HTC One M9 here

But it's a subjective thing, like some people like warm colors and want their images to be sharp, while other like cold colors and want there images to be little dark.

I like warm colors and sharp images so it's a subjective thing for me or anyone else, I don't need a program telling me this pic looks better because some equation and measures, meanwhile in my eye which I use to see the image it looks better.

Don't generalize, you may not care but I care and other people on this forum too.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

How so the hardware division is owned and operated by Microsoft and has been for a few generations of phones. Microsoft would not shoot themselves in the foot with android (except in very low end phones)

yes but not the nokia brand.microsoft bought lumia .nokia is still nokias.its just that the contract doesnt let nokia to make its own mobile devices until dec.31 2015.after that they will make their own mobile devices at foxconn or somewhere.just like their new nokia n1 tablet with android that has nothing to do with microsoft

all recent lumia devices are not nokia anymore.its microsoft lumia . so can`t wait for nokia to go full android :D

Well I reliably picked the opposite of what everyone else did. F*ck me.

"Normandy" i7 4790K - GTX 970 - Phantom 410 (Gun metal) - Z97 Extreme4 (asrock) - 128GB Crucial SSD - 1TB WD HDD - H60 Refurb. - 7 case fans | G710+ Keyboard, G230 Headset, Acer GN246HL Monitor.

Quick thoughts on system: I7 is extremely quick and I'm glad I spent the extra for hyper-threading. I regret my decision to get the GTX 970, it has horrible coil whine. There isn't any excuse for this terrible whine I and others are having. I HIGHLY recommend a 144hz monitor. Future Improvements/upgrades: Rubber fan mounts, basic speakers, more ram (for a total of 16gb), replace GPU.

144hz is love. 144hz is life. I like to submit unfinished posts then do about 20 edits. I like the Night Theme too.

Are there more sites like this or is this one the best? The don't have Note 4 there, probably too big.

Another, "I think this photo looks good so obviously this camera is best".

why lumia 930? why not 1020?

why wasn't S6 tested?

The s6 wasn't out I think. They didn't have the device.

They would use the 930 because it has the updated software and hardware.

yeah, nice test, although these blind tests have 1 major problem, everyone has its own favorite when it comes to colour representation, shadows and stuff like that.

i wonder how the votes would be if they added a proper dslr along with those phones, being used correctly of course.

edit:

wasn't the note more of a phablet instead of a phone? not want to cry, but imo that places it in a different category then the others, since phablets are bigger and thus have more room for components.

May the light have your back and your ISO low.

The point of the camera is to capture something. And who will see the footage, will it be the computer or the people? What the people see as a better camera is much more important than what score the computer program will give it. I personally enjoy oversatured colors and same with the music, I love bass and the studio class headphones are a definite no go for me. People dont always prefer "the perfection".

-snip- what people think of a photo is all that really matters..... i personally find that comment condescending just because people dont understand the technical side dosnt mean they cant judge the apeal of a picture

The only way to seriously test everything is to leave EVERY SINGLE PHONE in auto mode, not RAW, and rig up every single phone in a rig that largely keeps them shooting the same thing at the same distance. 

You have to remove "advantages" and equalize the testing, THEN start taking photos. Its just a e-peen measuring contest when it comes to camera phones. All phones are largely meh (to me, since I'm used to playing with 36mp on my camera). Its all the same. Even in 'RAW' modes. Its a tiny ass sensor with "no name" optics. They don't suck, for sure, but its not some life changing thing that some people claim. 

http://i.imgur.com/RVs8Ntc.jpg

Taken with an iPhone. It looks good enough. This is as much giving a shit I do when it comes to a camera phone.

what do you expect from a camera on a phone....given the size of the sensor and the limitations of the device.  not every one wants to lug around a dslr and just want to capture a moment as quick as possible and thats where phones come into there own. as for that looks ok photo....its over exposed washed out and very bland.

perosnally i liked the note 4 for many of the pics

Edited by jaggysnake57

"if nothing is impossible, try slamming a revolving door....." - unknown

my new rig bob https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/b/sGRG3C#cx710255

Kumaresh - "Judging whether something is alive by it's capability to live is one of the most idiotic arguments I've ever seen." - jan 2017

Are there more sites like this or is this one the best? The don't have Note 4 there, probably too big.

Don't trust DxOMark. They pretty much always rate Nikon stuff high and the rest fairly low. For example in their sensor test they say the Nikon D5200 is better than the Canon 5D Mark III. The 5D Mark III gets the same score as the Nikon D3200.

Even cameras with the same sensor (Nikon D800 vs Sony A7) are 5 points apart (with the Nikon winning).

I believe they are the only site which has a big collection of ratings for cameras though.

wasn't the note more of a phablet instead of a phone? not want to cry, but imo that places it in a different category then the others, since phablets are bigger and thus have more room for components.

Well if you are going to start to categorize them like that then you will quickly run into problems. The Lumia 930 is almost the same size as the Note 4 if you look at volume (because it is so thick). So is it or is it not fair to compare the two? Thickness helps a lot more when it comes to optics as well, so maybe it is the 930 that should be put in its own category for having a size advantage?

I think most people will agree that a device which can make calls and fits in your standard pocket is a phone.

-snip- what people think of a photo is all that really matters.....

Okay. So they can stop calling this a camera test and call it "Which phone camera has the most appealing in-camera post processing". Because that's what they're really judging here.

Also, keep name calling and you'll get yourself banned.

Edited by Blade of Grass

CPU: i7 4790K  RAM: 32 GB 2400 MHz  Motherboard: Asus Z-97 Pro  GPU: GTX 770  SSD: 256 GB Samsung 850 Pro  OS: Windows 8.1 64-bit

Okay. So they can stop calling this a camera test and call it "Which phone camera has the most appealing in-camera post processing". Because that's what they're really judging here.

Also, keep name calling and you'll get yourself banned.

is the processing not part of the camera? if not then you cant do any camera test as most have there own onboard processing systems

and what are you going to tell the teacher?...get a grip

"if nothing is impossible, try slamming a revolving door....." - unknown

my new rig bob https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/b/sGRG3C#cx710255

Kumaresh - "Judging whether something is alive by it's capability to live is one of the most idiotic arguments I've ever seen." - jan 2017