A Blind Camera Test Featuring One M9, iPhone 6+, others

Kherm

Okay. So they can stop calling this a camera test and call it "Which phone camera has the most appealing in-camera post processing". Because that's what they're really judging here.

Also, keep name calling and you'll get yourself banned.

Thats all it is. No camera, except those that output into DNG, are giving you a true image straight from their sensor to the flash storage. Part of what makes cameras like the Note 4, iPhone 6 and S6 work so well is because their post-processing algorithms are doing a lot from the time the photo is taken to the time it gets saved. 

-snip- what people think of a photo is all that really matters.....

what do you expect from a camera on a phone....given the size of the sensor and the limitations of the device.  not every one wants to lug around a dslr and just want to capture a moment as quick as possible and thats where phones come into there own. as for that looks ok photo....its over exposed washed out and very bland.

perosnally i liked the note 4 for many of the pics

Which is why I prefer using my 36mp full frame camera to do this kind of stuff:

11039252_10152542785536653_3903862926923

And the whole "no one wants to carry around a DSLR" argument holds no water anymore. You can buy full frame mirror less cameras that are spectacularly small, and M4/3 mirror less that are even smaller. This is what Sonys A7 is sized like, and these only get smaller each generation...plus Sony sensors power half the market and their low light performance is the stuff of legend. This is probably one of the best cameras on the market right now. 

original.jpgsony_a7_size_comparison_08.jpg

Edited by Blade of Grass

is the processing not part of the camera? if not then you cant do any camera test as most have there own onboard processing systems

and what are you going to tell the teacher?...get a grip

Post-processing is done to JPEG images in any camera. If you want the full unprocessed image captured by the sensor then you need to shoot in RAW mode. There are a couple phones on the market that can shoot RAW, most of the Lumia phones, I believe the OnePlus One can as well. Not sure if the iPhone can yet.

CPU: i7 4790K  RAM: 32 GB 2400 MHz  Motherboard: Asus Z-97 Pro  GPU: GTX 770  SSD: 256 GB Samsung 850 Pro  OS: Windows 8.1 64-bit

Post-processing is done to JPEG images in any camera. If you want the full unprocessed image captured by the sensor then you need to shoot in RAW mode. There are a couple phones on the market that can shoot RAW, most of the Lumia phones, I believe the OnePlus One can as well. Not sure if the iPhone can yet.

even in raw there is some processing going on

Thats all it is. No camera, except those that output into DNG, are giving you a true image straight from their sensor to the flash storage. Part of what makes cameras like the Note 4, iPhone 6 and S6 work so well is because their post-processing algorithms are doing a lot from the time the photo is taken to the time it gets saved. 

And the whole "no one wants to carry around a DSLR" argument holds no water anymore. You can buy full frame mirror less cameras that are spectacularly small, and M4/3 mirror less that are even smaller. This is what Sonys A7 is sized like, and these only get smaller each generation...plus Sony sensors power half the market and their low light performance is the stuff of legend. This is probably one of the best cameras on the market right now.

when you can put that into your pocket and have it with as much as you can a phone then its on par

"if nothing is impossible, try slamming a revolving door....." - unknown

my new rig bob https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/b/sGRG3C#cx710255

Kumaresh - "Judging whether something is alive by it's capability to live is one of the most idiotic arguments I've ever seen." - jan 2017

With the new Camera2 API in Android 5.0 you will be able to shoot RAW as well. The Galaxy S 6 and HTC M9 can do it for example. The Nexus 5 can do it too with a third party app.

I am very excited for it.

As much as I like the A7, you can't compare it to a smartphone. Everyone has their smartphone with them all the time, but not every A7 owner has their A7 with them all the time (especially not with a big lens). Functionality wise the smartphone can replace the A7 (just does a worse job), but the A7 don't replace your phone (which you know, can make calls and stuff).

On top of the size difference, there is also a huge cost difference. The A7 body itself costs far more than most smartphones are sold for. That's also before you factor in lenses.