(Rumor) Geforce GTX 980 Ti arrive after the summer

Keltar

A cut down chip would not be faster, maybe clock speed but not overall performance. Plus their titian line is flagship GTX GPU for a particular architecture.

How do you make a cut down product faster? 

Cut the VRAM density in half and then give the card a higher reference clock. Basically it won't be the GTX 980 Ti but the TITAN X Superclocked Edition.

GG Ubisoft I mean Nvidia...

Cut the VRAM density in half and then give the card a higher reference clock. Basically it won't be the GTX 980 Ti but the TITAN X Superclocked Edition.

Ubisoft?

Yeah that's barely a faster card though. You just OC the Titan and your back on a level playing field.

And because board makers can do custom PCB's on 980ti if the rumours are true. Then what's stopping somebody doing a 12gb 980ti with a beefy ass VRM solution so you can OC the snot out of it.

I don't think a 980ti and a Titan X can exist at the same time. Maybe they were planning on doing 980ti instead of Titan X and then went the other way?  

Jay now needs 3 way 980tis..

Spoiler

Senor Shiny: Main- CPU Intel i7 6700k 4.7GHz @1.42v | RAM G.Skill TridentZ CL16 3200 | GPU Asus Strix GTX 1070 (2100/2152) | Motherboard ASRock Z170 OC Formula | HDD Seagate 1TB x2 | SSD 850 EVO 120GB | CASE NZXT S340 (Black) | PSU Supernova G2 750W  | Cooling NZXT Kraken X62 w/Vardars
Secondary (Plex): CPU Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3 @1.099v | RAM Samsun Wonder 16GB CL9 1600 (sadly no oc) | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | Motherboard ASRock H97M-Pro4 | HDDs Seagate 1TB, WD Blue 1TB, WD Blue 3TB | Case Corsair Air 240 (Black) | PSU EVGA 600B | Cooling GeminII S524

Spoiler

(Deceased) DangerousNotDell- CPU AMD AMD FX 8120 @4.8GHz 1.42v | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | RAM Samsung Wonder 8GB (CL9 2133MHz 1.6v) | Motherboard Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z | Cooling EVO 212 | Case Rosewill Redbone | PSU EVGA 600B | HDD Seagate 1TB

DangerousNotDell New Parts For Main Rig Build Log, Señor Shiny  I am a beautiful person. The comments for your help. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book.

don't quote me 

I had one job....

Sally: l Intel i5 4690k | | Corsair H55 | | Zalman z12 plus | | Hitachi 2TB HDD | | Samsung 840 Pro 128 GB | | ASRock Fatal1ty z97 Killer | | Corsair Vengeance 16 GB | | EVGA SuperNova 750 watt | | MSI 390 | | Windows 10| 

He's gonna be able to overclock the piss out of the TITAN X's on water so even if the 980ti is real, he won't want them. :P

He's gonna be able to overclock the piss out of the TITAN X's on water so even if the 980ti is real, he won't want them. :P

He still won't have the top of the top end card in terms of performance, but not VRAM. :lol:

Spoiler

Senor Shiny: Main- CPU Intel i7 6700k 4.7GHz @1.42v | RAM G.Skill TridentZ CL16 3200 | GPU Asus Strix GTX 1070 (2100/2152) | Motherboard ASRock Z170 OC Formula | HDD Seagate 1TB x2 | SSD 850 EVO 120GB | CASE NZXT S340 (Black) | PSU Supernova G2 750W  | Cooling NZXT Kraken X62 w/Vardars
Secondary (Plex): CPU Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3 @1.099v | RAM Samsun Wonder 16GB CL9 1600 (sadly no oc) | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | Motherboard ASRock H97M-Pro4 | HDDs Seagate 1TB, WD Blue 1TB, WD Blue 3TB | Case Corsair Air 240 (Black) | PSU EVGA 600B | Cooling GeminII S524

Spoiler

(Deceased) DangerousNotDell- CPU AMD AMD FX 8120 @4.8GHz 1.42v | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | RAM Samsung Wonder 8GB (CL9 2133MHz 1.6v) | Motherboard Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z | Cooling EVO 212 | Case Rosewill Redbone | PSU EVGA 600B | HDD Seagate 1TB

DangerousNotDell New Parts For Main Rig Build Log, Señor Shiny  I am a beautiful person. The comments for your help. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book.

Not hard to connect the dots. :lol:

Ubisoft releases broken, unfinished games. Nvidia releases working graphics cards.

?

Wccftech does the same stuff. See the directx 12 benchmarks.

I respectfully disagree, the wccf author at least attempts to give explanations to phenomena where others failed to even attempt it.

I respectfully disagree, the wccf author at least attempts to give explanations to phenomena where others failed to even attempt it.

They still use information from other sources instead of providing their own original information.

I think nvidia is goning to release a 990 (dual GM204/GM206) instead of a 980TI and my bets are it's going to be targeted at VR users with that per eye GPU sli feature.

HTID

anyone who actually thinks there will actually be a 980ti is delusional.

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

Why would the 980 Ti be faster/better than the Titan X? That makes no sense to me.

"an obvious supporter of privacy"

He's gonna get tired of swapping out cards in skunkworx.

So the 980Ti might actually become a thing?

What happened to the experts on this very forum that swore no such thing would EVARRRRR happen?

Why would the 980 Ti be faster/better than the Titan X? That makes no sense to me.

Only in internet land does that make any sense. The only way the 980 Ti is faster than the Titan X is if its using a whole new GM2xx chip that is better than the one in the Titan X. 

But if that chip exists, it'll show up in the 10xx series. We might see a 1080 Ti that uses such a chip. Or not. Who really knows. 

The chances of a 980 Ti showing up are slim to none. 

It won't be called a 980 Ti.

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.

So the 980Ti might actually become a thing?

What happened to the experts on this very forum that swore no such thing would EVARRRRR happen?

I very highly doubt that a 980ti will ever see the light of day. Maybe if the titan x did not exist, but now that the titan x has been released, there is no room in market for a 980ti. It would undercut the titan x, which from a business point of view makes absolutely zero sense.

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

980 ti wouldnt make sense as it wouldnt be using the same chip as a 980, also they dont need anything else in the line-up, they would either stop selling 980s or stop selling titan x's

I very highly doubt that a 980ti will ever see the light of day. Maybe if the titan x did not exist, but now that the titan x has been released, there is no room in market for a 980ti. It would undercut the titan x, which from a business point of view makes absolutely no sense.

It really is a confusing prospect. The only thing i can think of, is that the 980Ti will lack the FP64 abilities possessed by the Titan X. Even at that degree, they forced themselves into a difficult position by having the 980's priced at $500-$600 depending on manufacturer, and the titan X is at $1000. The 980Ti will have to fit somewhere in between without being so cheap to undercut the titan, or so expensive as to make the 980 the obvious price:performance option.

Oh well, if this is real, i can't wait to see how it turns out.

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.