Netflix wants to get rid of geographical restrictions

Even if this is done, there still is the issue that the rest of the world's internet is not on par or is just bad and horrible.

It is no secret that plenty of Netflix subscribers use a VPN to access content from other countries, mainly the US as it tends to have the most relevant library of content. It is also no shock that Hollywood companies aren’t too happy about this practice, but instead of blocking out VPN users, Netflix wants to remove the need to use one.

Netflix just launched in Australia and while the subscription service is perfectly legal, using a VPN to access  content outside of your region technically is not. For movie and TV studios, geographical licensing agreements are a major part of their business but the VPN problem can be easily fixed if companies would offer their content globally without restrictions, according to Netflix CEO, Reed Hastings.

28b4944d32a36ae3352e57615055cb1d-e142731

According to Hastings, the use of VPNs is a pretty small-scale issue in the face of proper piracy and is actually very easy to make obsolete: “The VPN thing is a small little asterisk compared to piracy. Piracy is really the problem around the world.”

VPN users are clearly willing to pay, they just can’t to the content they want on locally:

“The basic solution is for Netflix to get global and have its content be the same all around the world so there’s no incentive to use a VPN. Then we can work on the more important part which is piracy”.

Lack of availability is often the root cause of VPN use and tradition piracy in some cases. However, it still remains to be seen if traditional media studios will make the switch and begin dealing out licenses globally, rather than keeping things locked down per region.

Reference Article on the Forum :

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/296033-netflix-says-piracy-service-popcorn-time-is-a-real-competitor/

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/284980-netflix-cracking-down-on-vpn-users/

Source : https://torrentfreak.com/netflix-wants-to-make-vpn-piracy-obsolete-150325/

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

The rest of the world's internet (at least in the areas most likely to watch Netflix[citation needed]) is probably actually on par with America or better. Europe's connections are significantly better in general than in America for example.

The rest of the world's internet (at least in the areas most likely to watch Netflix[citation needed]) is probably actually on par with America or better. Europe's connections are significantly better in general than in America for example.

You should have highlighted the in general part. I live in rural Ireland and I get about a 3mb download and 2mb upload, roughly round 50ping

Been playing on a laptop for 6 years, I play Dota 2 with 10fps. Some might say this is impossible, I say its just annoying

there is a possibility this move by Netflix will force certain countries ISP to censor the internet. Sigh..

Well that's also one of the reasons VPN companies thrive so..

Are you new? Please read CoC  Before posting! PLEASE SELECT 'AUTOMATIC' FOR FONT COLOR FOR US DARK THEME USERS (Only for dark shades)If you can read this, it means you need to change to NIGHT THEME (bottom left above LMG logo) Please follow your threads and Quote people when replying to them. Mark your problem as solved if answered. Don't spam, nobody likes a spammer. DO NOT QUOTE IMAGES! BE NICE!

I want this to happen... but not until our country's banking system gets its head out of its arsch and make getting debit accounts cheaper... 15k PhP to open an account is not that easy to come by...

Good. Region locks should have been left in the last millenium.

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

If they made this happen I would re-subscribe to their service in an instant.

If they made this happen I would re-subscribe to their service in an instant.

i think all of the uk will, all video online service in the uk suck ass, we pay the same but get 1/100 less content and we get the videos at a later date

Using a vpn to get around geoblocking is legal in Australia OP..

i7 6700K - ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger - Corsair H110i GT CPU Cooler - EVGA GTX 980 Ti ACX2.0+ SC+ - 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000MHz - Samsung 850 EVO 500GB - AX760i - Corsair 450D - XB270HU G-Sync Monitor

i7 3770K - H110 Corsair CPU Cooler - ASUS P8Z77 V-PRO - GTX 980 Reference - 16GB HyperX Beast 1600MHz - Intel 240GB SSD - HX750i - Corsair 750D - XB270HU G-Sync Monitor

This is the reason why people pirate movies and TV shows so often in Australia. Geoblocking is basically the middle finger to those who are willing to pay for content and pushes them towards piracy where it's much easier to get the content you want than to pay for it and then use a VPN or proxy server for the shows you want. Props to Netflix for reminding the industry that people who pay for media are not the real problem in the industry.

Really hope that someone pushes Foxtel off its high horse. Foxtel is one of the biggest reasons why geoblocking happens in the first place and because they're so bloody expensive I'd probably be going elsewhere for the shows I want ***cough***Game of Thrones***cough***.

Using a vpn to get around geoblocking is legal in Australia OP..

being said Netfix wont allow it none the less 

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

being said Netfix wont allow it none the less 

I've been doing it for about 18 months now. When I switch between regions it just says "I see you've been travelling with Netflix!"

i7 6700K - ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger - Corsair H110i GT CPU Cooler - EVGA GTX 980 Ti ACX2.0+ SC+ - 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000MHz - Samsung 850 EVO 500GB - AX760i - Corsair 450D - XB270HU G-Sync Monitor

i7 3770K - H110 Corsair CPU Cooler - ASUS P8Z77 V-PRO - GTX 980 Reference - 16GB HyperX Beast 1600MHz - Intel 240GB SSD - HX750i - Corsair 750D - XB270HU G-Sync Monitor

I can't tell if this would be good or bad. If they removed the restrictions, awesome, but there's that feeling...

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |