Netflix cracking down on VPN users

orangecat

Netflix is now apparently cracking down on people who use a VPN to get US Netflix in other countries.

Source: http://torrentfreak.com/netflix-cracks-down-on-vpn-and-proxy-pirates-150103/

"Netflix is starting to block subscribers who access its service using VPN services and other tools that bypass geolocation restrictions. The changes, which may also affect legitimate users, have been requested by the movie studios who want full control over what people can see in their respective countries."

On a side note my netflix doesn't work...

post-858-0-07900700-1420476700_thumb.png

OK Netflix, fuck you too then.

Congrats movie industry, perfect way to drive people to pirating.

*tears up* just fantastic *claps* they always find a way

OK Netflix, fucking you too then.

Congrats movie industry, perfect way to drive me to pirating.

I know right. I pay for Netflix but the Canadian version sucks ass if they want me not to use a VPN then give me more shows and movies.

Netflix is making a big mistake here... most people from the UK including me use the US service more than the UK one. And I suspect it's the same for other country's people are going to cancel their subscription like crazy.

I know right. I pay for Netflix but the Canadian version sucks ass if they want me not to use a VPN then give me more shows and movies.

Yep, Dutch version sucks even more balls.

This is bullshit...

| Intel i7 5820K @ 4.8GHz | G.Skill Ripjaws 4X4GB | X99 PRO | HoF 980 | Asus MX299Q | Sennheiser HD600 |

"Guys too many people are pirating are movies.  How do we get them to buy them more?

"how about we charge more every year and add even more restrictions to what they can watch?"

"fucking christ jim that is brilliant"

Personal Rig v3: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X | Noctua NH-U14S | Gigabyte B450 Aorus Pro ITX | Zotac GTX 2070 8GB | 16GB G-Skill Trident DDR4 3200MHz | EVGA Supernova 750B | Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX 

Peripherals: Sennheiser HD518 & Classic ModMic | Corsair K65 Luxe | Zowie EC2 | ASUS VG259QM  |  ASUS VG278E | Klipsch ProMedia 2.1

Movie Companies should really question whether the decision they make is going to solve a problem or cause even more people to pirate movies.

All they care about is if it will increase their money earnings for a film they don't actually care about the users or the movie.

Netflix Spokesperson has said "Netflix simply uses industry standard methods to prevent illegal VPN use,” and that the company isn't handling VPNs any differently than before.

Official Profile for Addon Customs LTD and Custom Acrylics
Addon Customs -
Custom LED Lighting | Single colour and RGB available, hand sleeved | Now making Phanteks Case compatible LED KITS
Custom Acrylics - Custom computer parts | GPU backplates, Fan Grills, NZXT H440 Fascias and PSU covers | 3D printing and Laser Cutting Service available.

OK Netflix, fuck you too then.

Congrats movie industry, perfect way to drive people to pirating.

*tears up* just fantastic *claps* they always find a way

To be honest allowing the traffic is illegal for them. 

And we have another company that has pulled an Ubisoft. Keep on digging, retards.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Between bowing down to ISP demands and giving non Americans the finger, twice - if Netflix went bankrupt, I'd lose no sleep over it.

So you complain about piracy and claim to be the solution...

Way to drive everyone who doesn't live in the US towards pirating

It Won't Fail Cause of Me.

I'll cancel my subscription to Netflix if I can no longer use VPNs to hop around countries

To be fair using a VPN isn't illegal. Using it to access region specific media is though. They state this on their website so I'm guessing it's more of a move just cover their own butts. Don't blame Netflix though

To be fair using a VPN isn't illegal. Using it to access region specific media is though. They state this on their website so I'm guessing it's more of a move just cover their own butts. Don't blame Netflix though

It's actually not illegal to use it to access region specific media. It's a legal grey area that has not been legislated for. Netflix have no legal obligation to prevent people from accessing their content through means of VPN or DNS.

i7 6700K - ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger - Corsair H110i GT CPU Cooler - EVGA GTX 980 Ti ACX2.0+ SC+ - 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000MHz - Samsung 850 EVO 500GB - AX760i - Corsair 450D - XB270HU G-Sync Monitor

i7 3770K - H110 Corsair CPU Cooler - ASUS P8Z77 V-PRO - GTX 980 Reference - 16GB HyperX Beast 1600MHz - Intel 240GB SSD - HX750i - Corsair 750D - XB270HU G-Sync Monitor

It's actually not illegal to use it to access region specific media. It's a legal grey area that has not been legislated for. Netflix have no legal obligation to prevent people from accessing their content through means of VPN or DNS.

Yeah kind of. For example if I were to use a VPN to watch from here (Australia) I'm not violating any Australian laws however it does violate US laws so yeah it's a grey area but what I'm saying is it's better to be safe than sorry

Yeah kind of. For example if I were to use a VPN to watch from here (Australia) I'm not violating any Australian laws however it does violate US laws so yeah it's a grey area but what I'm saying is it's better to be safe than sorry

I still don't think you would be violating any US laws. You don't need to be a US citizen to consume content within the United States. There is no legislation to distinguish between one being virtually in the United States or one being physically in the United States (it doesn't mean there is not a difference in other circumstances, but when it comes to copyright law there is none). It's a grey area. If you access content under a US VPN or DNS you are operating within their laws and are consuming US media under their laws by paying for it using their services.

i7 6700K - ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger - Corsair H110i GT CPU Cooler - EVGA GTX 980 Ti ACX2.0+ SC+ - 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000MHz - Samsung 850 EVO 500GB - AX760i - Corsair 450D - XB270HU G-Sync Monitor

i7 3770K - H110 Corsair CPU Cooler - ASUS P8Z77 V-PRO - GTX 980 Reference - 16GB HyperX Beast 1600MHz - Intel 240GB SSD - HX750i - Corsair 750D - XB270HU G-Sync Monitor