I Would LOVE It If You Guys Could Help Me With This <3

NerdNinja

So alright people of LTT! I would like to request your help! I have enrolled myself in the Skills USA competition for 2015, specifically the Wisconsin competition, for those of you who don't know this is a state to national competitive event with multiple contests ranging from 3D printing to woodworking.

Each person participating in this can choose what event they want to compete in. I have chosen the IT Services contest and this is where you all come in.

While I consider myself a PC enthusiast there are still a great number of things I do not know how to do! All I am asking for is that you share your knowledge!

Personal tutoring or a discussion in a PM would also be great!

I have provided the contest guidelines which go over the subjects I will need to know here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1e1tu3ZpQOJlErfvjg_HL1cBOTO4Gia3-Dhc-P96Gm0c/edit?usp=sharing

If you want to save time reading the actual guidelines start on page 3 but I highly recommend reading more.

I will greatly appreciate any help/resources you guys could give me! This is not only for the contest but for my future as a techie!

Wish me luck if nothing else!

The year is 20XX. Everyone plays Fox at TAS levels of perfection. Because of this, the winner of a match depends solely on port priority. The RPS metagame has evolved to ridiculous levels due to it being the only remaining factor to decide matches.

Only Abate, Axe, and Wobbles can save us.

What are you least confident about? Stuff like registry or networking or working with the command line?

i'm a potato

What are you least confident about? Stuff like registry or networking or working with the command line?

What do you need help in?

Boy, ok so I guess the better question would be what am I good at already, the list for things I need help on is longer than the ones I'm good at. I know some things in some areas but not nearly enough.

So here are the things directly from the list.

Commands: I'm assuming command prompt. I know ipconfig. that's it
Component ID: What is dis?
System Staging Hardware/Software: I don't really know what it means by system staging.
Printer Maintenance: Ehh... I can replace ink cartridges... and some software stuff like hooking them up.
Virus and Malware: I got malware bytes.. although I'd like to have a usb with linux on it to use although I don't know how to go about using it.
Windows Registry & Configuration: I don't know...
SOHO Network: Bad with networking in general.
Browser Security: I assume this is gonna be like a test on what not to do, I'm pretty good there but if they ask what makes a browser secure I don't really know.
Networking: Again, bad with networking
Security: again, I know the basics of security and virus/malware removal
Remote Technical Support: I've used team viewer
Mobile Device Configuration: I can generally get my way around software.
IT Consult Encounter: Does this mean call a guy? if so I think I'll be good.
Service Order Management: wat?

so there's a list. A lot of it depends on how they will test these skills I guess.

The year is 20XX. Everyone plays Fox at TAS levels of perfection. Because of this, the winner of a match depends solely on port priority. The RPS metagame has evolved to ridiculous levels due to it being the only remaining factor to decide matches.

@Barnacules

I'll tweet him this. Hopefully he'll come over.

Tell him to bring a defibrillator because I'd probably die :D

Component ID is probably going to be identifying parts and stuff like that, you should be good at that.

i'm a potato

Component ID is probably going to be identifying parts and stuff like that, you should be good at that.

Oh that makes sense..

I'm just gonna tag a bunch of people here....

@Aleks @alpenwasser @BurgerBum @CreepersCrawlers @CtW @DigitalHermit @Excon @FlamingDefibs @Flight1sim @Gert @isHypnophobic @ixi_your_face @kingzogan @Lays @LukaP @Mike_The_BOss @Opcode @rentaspoon @Rumikarimu @SAV1OUR @SeriouslyMikey @StarFire @STRMfrmXMN @Tech_Dreamer @techswede @TheSLSAMG @tmcclelland455 @WinNut @Yummychickenblue and @zappian whew!

Really? There's only a five tag limit????

@DigitalHermit @Excon @FlamingDefibs @Flight1sim @Gert

I hope this isn't post farming

@isHypnophobic @ixi_your_face @kingzogan @Lays @LukaP 

I guess since it's off topic though they don't count

@Mike_The_BOss @Opcode @rentaspoon @Rumikarimu @SAV1OUR

No one can help :(

I'm so sorry :(

"an obvious supporter of privacy"

No one can help :(

I'm so sorry :(

I guess I just need to do more work then :D

Boy, ok so I guess the better question would be what am I good at already, the list for things I need help on is longer than the ones I'm good at. I know some things in some areas but not nearly enough.

So here are the things directly from the list.

Commands: I'm assuming command prompt. I know ipconfig. that's it
Component ID: What is dis?
System Staging Hardware/Software: I don't really know what it means by system staging.
Printer Maintenance: Ehh... I can replace ink cartridges... and some software stuff like hooking them up.
Virus and Malware: I got malware bytes.. although I'd like to have a usb with linux on it to use although I don't know how to go about using it.
Windows Registry & Configuration: I don't know...
SOHO Network: Bad with networking in general.
Browser Security: I assume this is gonna be like a test on what not to do, I'm pretty good there but if they ask what makes a browser secure I don't really know.
Networking: Again, bad with networking
Security: again, I know the basics of security and virus/malware removal
Remote Technical Support: I've used team viewer
Mobile Device Configuration: I can generally get my way around software.
IT Consult Encounter: Does this mean call a guy? if so I think I'll be good.
Service Order Management: wat?

so there's a list. A lot of it depends on how they will test these skills I guess.

Research each of the requirements, it sounds like you don't have a huge knowledge of Windows, so you'll just have to work harder. 

I wish you luck.

sold

Research each of the requirements, it sounds like you don't have a huge knowledge of Windows, so you'll just have to work harder. 

I wish you luck.

Yea, It sucks that I don't have my own system to practice on. And every other computer I've used hasn't been mine so I can't do things that might screw things up....

Yea, It sucks that I don't have my own system to practice on. And every other computer I've used hasn't been mine so I can't do things that might screw things up....

Buy the cheapest computer you can find, install windows 7/8 and screw around on it.  Alternatively you could build one as an investment and re-install the os when you are done.

sold

Buy the cheapest computer you can find, install windows 7/8 and screw around on it.  Alternatively you could build one as an investment and re-install the os when you are done.

well I have a system in the works. what I mean by that is I only need the CPU and MOBO. and where I live, it's a tourist town. means no work till the summer months for me :/ and this think is in mid April I think

well I have a system in the works. what I mean by that is I only need the CPU and MOBO. and where I live, it's a tourist town. means no work till the summer months for me :/ and this think is in mid April I think

Do any of your friends have a system they might let you screw around on?

sold

Do any of your friends have a system they might let you screw around on?

Nothing they aren't currently using :/