New device could lead to computers thousands of times faster

Researchers have worked out how to control light beams around curves that are twice as tight as ever before, a crucial step that will help them build super-fast computers that send data on light beams, instead of electrical signals. 

We already have materials capable of building these optical computers, but so far the process has been held up because we need devices that are able to control light beams around a computer without losing their energy. And now scientists from the University of Texas El Paso and the University of Central Florida in the US have created one.

The device, which looks sort of like a tiny plastic honeycomb, can turn beams of photons into optical wires that can bend around the tiny structures inside a computer.

88634_web.jpg

"Computer chips and circuit boards have metal wire connections within them that transport data signals,One of challenges when using light is figuring out a way to make tight bends so we can replace the metal wiring more effectively." - Raymond Rumpf

Right now, conventional light waveguides, such as optical fibres, can steer light across great distances and gradual turns, but if a curve is too steep, the light beams escape and energy is lost. 

But the new device, which you can see above, is like a miniature lattice, and when light is beamed through it, the researchers found they could control beams through 90 degree bends that are twice as tight as has previously been possible - and all without any loss of the light beam's integrity or intensity.

The results, which have been published in Optics Express, set a new record in optics, but the team is now looking to double the tightness of the turns once again, so that they can beam light across tiny electronic circuit boards without any loss of energy or information.

Although there's still a lot of work to be done, if they can achieve that, we'll be on the verge of creating computers that are thousands of times faster than the ones we currently use. Just imagine the potential.

light-548x274.jpg

Source : http://today.ucf.edu/scientists-invent-new-way-control-light-critical-next-gen-super-computing/

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

inb4 Intel/IBM patents

But can it run Crysis?

It's not a Graphics card 

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

So glad I was born in this timeslot

CPU: i5-4690k GPU: 280x Toxic PSU: Coolermaster V750 Motherboard: Z97X-SOC RAM: Ripjaws 1x8 1600mhz Case: Corsair 750D HDD: WD Blue 1TB

How to Build A PC|Windows 10 Review Follow the CoC and don't be a scrub~soaringchicken

Yey, light beam computers!

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

For those interested, 20 micro meters is 20000 nano meters. Considering current transistor sizes are 14 nano meters, we've a long way to go before this is anywhere near a desktop

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X - CPU Cooler: Deepcool Castle 240EX - Motherboard: MSI B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC

RAM: 2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RBG 3200MHz - GPU: MSI RTX 3080 GAMING X TRIO

and costs thousands of times more

All new technologies cost more. If we didn't want to develop technologies just because they costs hundreds or thousands of times more, there would be no progress.

One example would be the computer.

Sound: Custom one pros, Audioengine A5+ with S8 sub.

K70 RGB

For those interested, 20 micro meters is 20000 nano meters. Considering current transistor sizes are 14 nano meters, we've a long way to go before this is anywhere near a desktop

If I'm not mistaken light in this kind of a processor is faster than the electrical signals used to day, so light based cpus could have much larger cores with higher clockspeeds. But even the we are indeed still a long way off

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

Main rig:

i7-4790 - 24GB RAM - GTX 970 - Samsung 840 240GB Evo - 2x 2TB Seagate. - 4 monitors - G710+ - G600 - Zalman Z9U3

Other devices

Oneplus One 64GB Sandstone

Surface Pro 3 - i7 - 256Gb

Surface RT

Server:

SuperMicro something - Xeon e3 1220 V2 - 12GB RAM - 16TB of Seagates 

for some reason i expected to see the 49 USB hub again

i9 11900k - NH-D15S - ASUS Z-590-F - 64GB 2400Mhz - 1080ti SC - 970evo 1TB - 960evo 250GB - 850evo 250GB - WDblack 1TB - WDblue 3TB - HX850i - 27GN850-B - PB278Q - VX229 - HP P224 - HP P224 - HannsG HT231 - 450D                                                         

I don't see this sort of technology ever reaching consumers.

It's simply too expensive to manufacture.  Unless we get some crazy advanced 3D printers (that can do optics) with economic yields... on top of the R&D for the hardware itself.

This is the sort of thing that will make its way into supercomputers within the next 40-50 years.

On the plus side, this makes me really excited for the possibility of significantly more miniaturized and accurate analytical instruments in my profession.  One of these days it'd be cool to have a tricorder. 

4K // R5 3600 // RTX2080Ti

This is the sort of thing that will make its way into supercomputers within the next 40-50 years.

more like 10 years for first working chips, 20 years for commercial use id wager

If I'm not mistaken light in this kind of a processor is faster than the electrical signals used to day, so light based cpus could have much larger cores with higher clockspeeds. But even the we are indeed still a long way off

yes, as well as being able to carry more than one bit with a light pulse, by modifying wavelenghts in it

We are, but not because of the size. more because its such a new tech we dont actually have it researched enough to start mass production any time soon.

FYI, 10um class chips were a thing in the 70s, so with a little more RND, this could be made in a viable size soon, or as i said before, 10 years till first working chips, 20 for commercial products :)

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

Game developer, AI researcher, Developing the UOLTT mobile apps

G SIX [My Mac Pro G5 CaseMod Thread]

"Right now, conventional light waveguides, such as optical fibres, can steer light across great distances and gradual turns, but if a curve is too steep, the light beams escape and energy is lost. "

You mean total internal reflection. PLEASE use proper physics terminology.

Now this is interesting, but as previously said, it's going to take a while before any chips are made using it due to this only just creating the lattice that allows it to turn 90o, let alone making millions of them on a small enough scale close enough together for them to be able to operate in a system.

PCs

Spoiler
Spoiler

Branwen (2015 build) - CPU: i7 4790K GPU:EVGA GTX 1070 SC PSU: XFX XTR 650W RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX fury Motherboard: MSI Z87 MPower MAX AC SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB + Crucial MX300 1TB  Case: Silverstone RV05 Cooler: Corsair H80i V2 Displays: AOC AGON AG241QG & BenQ BL2420PT Build log: link 

Spoiler

Netrunner (2020 build) - CPU: AMD R7 3700X GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 (from 2015 build) PSU: Corsair SF600 platinum RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix RGB 3600Mhz cl16 Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus X570i pro wifi SSD: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB Case: Lian Li TU150W black Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock Slim

Does this mean the optronic coupler will become a thing?

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

"Right now, conventional light waveguides, such as optical fibres, can steer light across great distances and gradual turns, but if a curve is too steep, the light beams escape and energy is lost. "

You mean total internal reflection. PLEASE use proper physics terminology.

His sentence is still completly legitimate, even without using the term. he says optic fibres guide light through great distances and gradual turns. which is completly true. he only left out technical details as to why this can happen.

Here is the physics behind it.

totint2.gif

and a video

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

Game developer, AI researcher, Developing the UOLTT mobile apps

G SIX [My Mac Pro G5 CaseMod Thread]

His sentence is still completly legitimate, even without using the term. he says optic fibres guide light through great distances and gradual turns. which is completly true. he only left out technical details as to why this can happen.

I know. I am a Japanese Physics Graduate. Replying on phone does not help to write out extended responses, and being on a subway away from my PC doesn't help.

Actually afaik electrical signals travel at the speed of light too, however you can store much more data on a single photon, which is what makes fiber so damn fast(plus the lack of noise etc).

MacBook Pro 15' 2018 (Pretty much the only system I use)