Single Titan X or 3 way SLI 980's?

ThatGuysProject

So with the release of the Titan X i now have more questions then answers (again) however what would be better? A single Titan X or 3 980s, i ask this because all together they have the same amount of ram however i'm not sure if all 12gb of the 980s ram would be able to be used while playing 4k games such as Battlefield and others. What would be better value for price? and what would you recommend and also would you be able to 4 way sli titan xs (guessing not) and lastly what would work better while streaming.

2x 980 is plenty

Longboarders/ skaters message me!

So with the release of the Titan X i now have more questions then answers (again) however what would be better? A single Titan X or 3 980s, i ask this because all together they have the same amount of ram however i'm not sure if all 12gb of the 980s ram would be able to be used while playing 4k games such as Battlefield and others. What would be better value for price? and what would you recommend and also would you be able to 4 way sli titan xs (guessing not) and lastly what would work better while streaming.

The 3-way SLI would be faster, BUT it removes expansion possibility.

Better value for the price? 2-way SLI 970s.

The projects never end in my line of work.

CPU: Dual Xeon E5-2650v2 || GPU: Dual Quadro K5000 || Motherboard: Asus Z9PE-D8 || RAM: 64GB Corsair Vengeance || Monitors: Dual LG 34UM95, NEC MultiSync EA244UHD || Storage: Dual Samsung 850 Pro 256GB in Raid 0, 6x WD Re 4TB in Raid 1 || Sound: Xonar Essense STX (Mainly for Troubleshooting and listening test) || PSU: Corsair Ax1500i

CPU: Core i7 5820k @ 4.7GHz || GPU: Dual Titan X || Motherboard: Asus X99 Deluxe || RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix Sport || Monitors: MX299Q, 29UB65, LG 34UM95 || Storage: Dual Samsung 850 EVO 1 TB in Raid 0, Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, 2TB Toshiba scratch disk, 3TB Seagate Barracuda || PSU: EVGA 1000w PS Platinum

3 way 980's Destroy a single Titan X 

For the Money? TRI 970's 

Core I7 5960X / Gigabyte X99 SOC Force / Kingston 16GB DDR4 3000 / EVGA GTX 980 Classified's In Quad SLI / EVGA 1600W G2

Core I7 6700K / Asus Z170 Maximus VIII Hero / Corsair 16GB DDR4 3000 / MSI R9 290X Lightning / EVGA 1600W T2

The 3-way SLI would be faster, BUT it removes expansion possibility.

Better value for the price? 2-way SLI 970s.

While that is true i'm thinking of making a rig in a 900D with a x99 Deluxe so there is that as well as the fact that 2x Titan X's would cost £2000

not the same amount of ram. It doesn't stack. You still only have 4GB.

I suggest that, if the titan x is 1000$, you should go buy it however if it is more than say 1100$ don't buy it. IMO it is definitely better than 2 x 980s due to all the cons of sli setups.

Spoiler

Samung Tab S 8.4

Spend an extra 500 for 2 titans

CPU: i9 19300k////GPU: RTX 4090////RAM: 64gb DDR5 5600mhz ////MOBO: Aorus z790 Elite////MONITORS: 3 LG 38" 3840x1600 WIDESCREEN MONITORS

For games two-way sli is plenty... So 980s

not the same amount of ram. It doesn't stack. You still only have 4GB.

I suggest that, if the titan x is 1000$, you should go buy it however if it is more than say 1100$ don't buy it. IMO it is definitely better than 2 x 980s due to all the cons of sli setups.

its $999

While that is true i'm thinking of making a rig in a 900D with a x99 Deluxe so there is that as well as the fact that 2x Titan X's would cost £2000

I also suggest you build in an enthoo pro and get an asrock x99x fata1ty killer motherboard as that offers all that would possibly need. That way you could afford to SLI titan X or simply get more SSDs :P

Spoiler

Samung Tab S 8.4

its $999

depends on the world region.

Spoiler

Samung Tab S 8.4

I thinking about getting a single Titan X at first then after a year get another and the last if 3 way is even possible.

I would go with Titan X, seems pretty good, and if you custom cool that baby you gonna have a lot of fun

CPU: Xeon 1230v3 - GPU: GTX 770  - SSD: 120GB 840 Evo - HDD: WD Blue 1TB - RAM: Ballistix 8GB - Case: CM N400 - PSU: CX 600M - Cooling: Cooler Master 212 Evo

Update Plans: Mini ITX this bitch

I thinking about getting a single Titan X at first then after a year get another and the last if 3 way is even possible.

If you have the pockets and power, you can have up to 4 Titan X GPUs. 

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

Thinking about it what is the average life span on a gpu? Also i will end up liquid cooling them but seeing as they run up to 90 when overclocked i will end up having to make a radiator mount like Linus did with the whole room water cooling videos.

Thinking about it what is the average life span on a gpu? 

Life? 3-5 years. But don't buy for "Future-proof". It doesn't exist.

The projects never end in my line of work.

CPU: Dual Xeon E5-2650v2 || GPU: Dual Quadro K5000 || Motherboard: Asus Z9PE-D8 || RAM: 64GB Corsair Vengeance || Monitors: Dual LG 34UM95, NEC MultiSync EA244UHD || Storage: Dual Samsung 850 Pro 256GB in Raid 0, 6x WD Re 4TB in Raid 1 || Sound: Xonar Essense STX (Mainly for Troubleshooting and listening test) || PSU: Corsair Ax1500i

CPU: Core i7 5820k @ 4.7GHz || GPU: Dual Titan X || Motherboard: Asus X99 Deluxe || RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix Sport || Monitors: MX299Q, 29UB65, LG 34UM95 || Storage: Dual Samsung 850 EVO 1 TB in Raid 0, Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, 2TB Toshiba scratch disk, 3TB Seagate Barracuda || PSU: EVGA 1000w PS Platinum

I cant wait to see how horrible 4 way Titan X scales 

Core I7 5960X / Gigabyte X99 SOC Force / Kingston 16GB DDR4 3000 / EVGA GTX 980 Classified's In Quad SLI / EVGA 1600W G2

Core I7 6700K / Asus Z170 Maximus VIII Hero / Corsair 16GB DDR4 3000 / MSI R9 290X Lightning / EVGA 1600W T2

Life? 3-5 years. But don't buy for "Future-proof". It doesn't exist.

I know that.

I wonder how bad 4 way titan x scales

Give me a few days and i'll let you know 

3 980's will be faster even 2 980's will still beat it. Also when you run GPU's in sli you don't get all the RAM for each card added together you get the lowest amount of RAM that either of them have. 

So if you run 2 cards in sli and one has 2GB and the other has 4GB then you will only have 2GB of RAM not 6 or 4. If they both are the same 4GB and 4GB then you will have 4GB not 8GB

Spoiler

-

CPU:Ryzen 9 5900X GPU: Asus GTX 1080ti Strix MB: Asus Crosshair Viii Hero RAM: G.Skill Trident Neo CPU Cooler: Corsair H110

Give me a few days and i'll let you know 

A few days? you must be getting them to test then send back or i call overkill!

Thinking about it what is the average life span on a gpu? Also i will end up liquid cooling them but seeing as they run up to 90 when overclocked i will end up having to make a radiator mount like Linus did with the whole room water cooling videos.

you don't need a stupid mount like Linus in the room water cooling project. Some big thick 480mm rads should do it. 

I cant wait to see how horrible 4 way Titan X scales 

Titans, never known for there scaling. 3-way and no higher if buying Titans. 

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

you don't need a stupid mount like Linus in the room water cooling project. Some big thick 480mm rads should do it. 

Titans, never known for there scaling. 3-way and no higher if buying Titans. 

I was planning to have 2 480mm rads and two 240mm rads unless i could fit a triple 120 in the basement of the 900d and still have space for a gpu to power all the cards. I.e a corsair 1200w psu