Worst Tech mistake you have ever made?

Mitch

Probably the Intel Motherboard that burned out on me within about 6 months, killed my ram aswell even when I was running everything at stock, upgraded to my Maximus V formula, best decision for me.

Cpu: i5-2500k @4.8Ghz, MB: Asus Maximus V Formula, CPU cooler: Be quiet! Dark rock pro 2, GPU: Evga Gtx660 FTW@1.24ghz. Ram: Corsair Vengeance 8GB 1866Mhz, PSU: Be quiet! 730w Semi modular, SSD: Corsair force 3 240Gb, HDD: WD Green 1TB, Case: Nzxt H2 with 4 Corsair SP120's, Win7

Some random flash drive that was supposed to be 64GB but started deleting and replacing after 7GB. I paid £70 for that POS. 

"Everybody wants a happy ending, right? But it doesn’t always roll that way." - TS

My alarmclock....... it works too well :(

I need a USB-refrigerator for my beer

I had one of these for two months, returned it for reasons above, limited joy, over hyped pos. But yes, emulation and CB were the only highlights, the "awesome stero sound" was also just average...

i'd love for them to take another crack at it now sony are no longer working with erricson, with it just being sony now they could possibly use more of there playstation tech without giving giving away to many secrets, fact is they ballsed up by trying to price it cheaply witch is stupid! They should have just ditched the PS vita and gone mental with a portable device smart phone, i mean if they did it properly they could easily sell it at the price point of the HTC One, iphone 5 and S4. i mean here the Xperia T is £250 new and that has a 720 screen, 1.5ghz dual core, 16gb storage + SD card slot and 1gb ram, if this thing (i own one) had a controller it would be AMAZING!

I said it over and over in the forum, restart while BIOS flashing

Also, corrupting Windows XP on 10+ y/o computer by turning off the hard way over and over. Somehow, i was still able to use it by passing the warning message saying Windows is corrupt

CPU: A10-5800K, GPU: 7660D, RAM: Corsair XMS3 2x 4GB 1600Mhz, PSU: Rosewill Stallion series RD500-2SB 500W, Motherboard: MSI FM2-A75MA-E35, HDD: WD 10EZEX 1TB Blue, Case: Rosewill Line-M mAtx

When I was building PC first time I couldnt get it started. Two days I was wonder what the **** was wrong with it.

Powerbutton cable in wrong slot. Daymn.

I have another case to tell about my friend:

He was building PC for his friend and he plugged gtx670 in the pcie slot while the computer was on :DDDD

Gtx670 broke.

I'm sorry to say, but that gpu was already broken. It's just a myth, and only back when Windows ME was a thing you actually lost your information and had a chance for destroying components.

The cables from the front is a pain, i still don't understand why they don't come like the USB ports does, it's the same on all motherboards isn't it?

Intel i7-2600K @ 4,5GHz | EVGA GeForce GTX 780 w/EKWB Copper Waterblock | Kingston HyperX blu 16GB @ 1600 MHz | Phanteks Enthoo Primo | MSI Z77A-GD65 | CM M1000 Silent Pro | Samsung 840 Pro 128GB | BenQ XL2420T 120hz | Logitech G710+ | Razer Deathadder 2013 -

- XSPC Raystorm CPU Waterblock | XSPC RX360 Radiator | EKWB EK-FC Titan GPU Waterblock -

This was more stupidity rather than mistake.

I thought I had broken my sisters built in wifi on her laptop and to try and repair I switched the laptop off and blew into the air vents a couple of times (I say a couple, more like hundreds)... after 1 HOUR! I only go to realise that I had forgotten to turn on the wireless card. That was the biggest computing facepalm moment of my life so far. And this all began as i was intrigued to see her brand new shiny laptop.   

CPU: Intel Core i5 4670K | CPU Cooler: Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo | Motherboard: Asus Z87 PRO | Ram: Corsair Vengence 8GB DDR3 | Graphics Card: Asus GTX 670 Direct CU II OC | SSD128GB Samsung 840 Evo  | HDD: 2TB Seagate Barracuda 

Case: CM Storm Scout 2 | Monitor: 2x LG 22EA53VQ IPS 

Reformatting a 500GB hard drive so many times it actually now only reads as a 132GB hard drive - this was back when I was stupidly naïve and didn't know that using torrents and P2P services to download stuff also means risking downloading viruses. I also managed to download a virus once that wiped ALL the information from the board that is attached to the hard drive, so the hard drive pretty much "forgot" it was a hard drive and my computer no longer recognized it. I lost soooo much work during that 'event' I actually had to close my small web design business for good.

Ouch.

Corsair 600T White | Gigabyte Z77-UD3H | Intel Core i5-2500k | 8GB Gskill Ares@1600MHz | Gigabyte G1 GTX970 | OCZ ZT 550 | Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB | Samsung 840 EVO 250GB (boot) | Full Custom Loop | NZXT HUE

I was super super super tired and was taking my graphics card out of the PCIe slot.

I forgot to push down the level and crack, the slot came off with the card! I still feel stupid about it, but it still works. :P

You ripped the slot out of your Z77 UD3H?

Corsair 600T White | Gigabyte Z77-UD3H | Intel Core i5-2500k | 8GB Gskill Ares@1600MHz | Gigabyte G1 GTX970 | OCZ ZT 550 | Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB | Samsung 840 EVO 250GB (boot) | Full Custom Loop | NZXT HUE

You ripped the slot out of your Z77 UD3H?

Yes I did. :P I slid the slot back onto the pins but I avoid using it now.

Case-NZXT H440 | Motherboard-Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H | RAM-Kingston HyperX Blue 2x8GB 1600MHz | CPU-Intel 3770K @ 4.3GHz at 1.215v | Heatsink-Coolermaster Hyper212 Evo | GPU-EVGA GTX660 SC | SSD-MX200 250GB | HDD-Seagate Barracuda 3TB | PSU-EVGA GS650

Mouse-Logitech G600 | Keyboard-Ducky Shine 3 MX Blue. white backlight | Headphones-Audiotechnica ATH-M50s. Beyerdynamic DT990

Yes I did. :P I slid the slot back onto the pins but I avoid using it now.

I put my gpu in the bottom slot anyway to show off how m heatsink,ram and sata cables match in color :P

Booted up my Phenom II x6 1045t without heatsink... not intentionally, I thought i've put it on yet nope... PC POSTed after fixing bent pin and that was why i didnt notice... i only noticed when the PC turned off before getting into 'windows boot screen' cuz of overheat. Good it turned itself off, i might've done a lot of dmg anyway by that accident but it works right now.

I'd swear heatsink was in place when i booted it! :(

So... If Jesus had the gold, would he buy himself out instead of waiting 3 days for the respawn?

CPU: Phenom II x6 1045t ][ GPU: GeForce 9600GT 512mb DDR3 ][ Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3P ][ RAM: 2x4GB Kingston 1333MHz CL9 DDR3 ][ HDD: Western Digital Green 2TB ][ PSU: Chieftec 500AB A ][ Case: No-name without airflow or dust filters Budget saved for an upgrade so far: 2400PLN (600€) - Initial 2800PLN (700€) Upgraded already: CPU

Installing 8Gb RAM stick into a mobo that supports only 4Gb one slot. Dont laugh...

Dell Inspiron 580 - Modified

Build log

Win 7 | GTX 760 | i5 CPU 650 @ 3.20GHz | 2x2Gb 1333MHz Hyundai + 2x2Gb 1333Mhz Crucial RAM | Seagate 1TB 7200RPM | HyperX Fury 120Gb | Corsair Builder 600M | Fractal R2 Mini

I fried a whole computer before lol.

Case: Corsair white 600T | Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 | CPU: intel i5-357OK oc to 4.3 | CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i | Graphics Card: Evga 660 Ti FTW signature 2 | Ram: Corsair Vengeance 8GBPower supply: ModXstream-pro 600W | SSD: Samsung 840 Series | Keyboard: Corsair K70Mouse: Corsair M65 | MonitorAsus VS228H-P 22-inch | 2nd Monitor:  Viewsonic 22 inch-LED 3rd Monitor: LG 32 inch tv | Mic: audio-technica AT2020 USB | Headset 1:  Audio technica ATH-M50s | Headset 2: Corsair Vengeance 2000.

Uhm, installing an after-market cooler on my graphic cards with a drunk dad helping. Destroyed the card, luckly - I got a kickass card in return for that haha. 

NZXT Phantom windowed, Asus Z77 Sabertooth, Intel 2600K, Noctua NH-D14, EVGA 780 Classified, Crucial Ballistic Tactical, Crucial M4 128GB + Samsung 850 EVO, Corsair RM850, Creative X-Fi Fatal1ty Peripherals: Sennheiser HD598, FinalMouse Classic, SteelSeries Qck Heavy, Ducky Shine Zero (MX Brown), AOC G2460PF & Qnix QX2710

Build Log: Phantom - Antique Noctua

Dropping my new CPU that I still haven't even touched, it literally went from the plastic casing around Intel CPU's to the floor. Still works though

Was about to say the same thing, first time building a PC as well. I was just sliding the case over to where a power point was and didn't realize the CPU was sitting on what I was moving it with, I was just stunned when it happened. 

3700x, Asus B450i, 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB, Gigabyte GTX 970 ITXDan A4-SFX, SX600-G, 120mm AIO.

Thinking my ram was Bad when my graphics cards wasn't correctly seated xD

Was about to say the same thing, first time building a PC as well. I was just sliding the case over to where a power point was and didn't realize the CPU was sitting on what I was moving it with, I was just stunned when it happened. 

Damn, also not realizing that I hadn't put in a stick of ram into the mobo, and I didn't realize till an hour later.

Didn't applied Thermal paste in my previous build and got really pisted because i got crashes every 15 minutes.. AND i also, don't have a magnetized screw driver.  :wacko:

Spoiler

• 2 weeks later...

My Nokia lumia 710, the battery life is bad and windows phone is not great. Also the volume can't go above 19 out of 30 due to a software update. Also my H100i as the fans spinning at full speed on startup really annoy me and the pump makes a loud clicking sound for about a minute at startup. My raspberry pi also never gets used.

Mobo: MSI X99A Gaming 7 | CPU: 5820K | CPU Cooler: H100i with NF-F12s in push | RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 | GPU: MSI GTX 780 Gaming Edition | SSDs: Samsung 840 EVO & 250GB Sandisk Extreme 120GB | HDD: Various

Virtual boy! was disappointed with it after the first few hours but couldn't admit it because I was a Nintendo fan boy back in the day...hell, I still am  :P