"Rumor says Apple invented USB Type-C"

TopWargamer

GAHHH why does it keep having me follow this topic???
Im not pressing follow button!

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

How are they rare?

It is literally an Svideo cable, no different. Besides, http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR3.TRC2.A0.H0.XADB+cabl.TRS0&_nkw=ADB+cable&ghostText=&_sacat=0

Also, i have had no problems with ADB.

Typing this on my daily drive, a ADB apple adjustable keyboard, conected with ADB to USB adapter

I had an Apple Keyboard II and Apple II computer, and for whatever reason my mouse and keyboard were always a hassle to get working. (Random disconnects, and issues with amount of keys pressed) 

I had purchased a ADB to USB adapter also, and that worked most of the time. Then I realized that they Apple Keyboard II sucks. 

5800X3D - RTX 4070 - 2K @ 165Hz

Yea, because things are only official once they get shown at CES, right? 

Yes, that's how the electronics industry works. If it's not at a convention, it doesn't exist. That's why VIA doesn't exist.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

This seems like the complete opposite of what Apple does which is make minor changes and aggressively pursue patents. 

-------

Current Rig

-------

It would seem this way. However, aside from interface and interface technologies, AFAIK it still serves the same purpose. That Mac still used Light Peak though, as opposed to the current-style mDP Thunderbolt connector. I'd wonder when they started publicly testing Thunderbolt over mDP.

Prototype:

tmo2012-01-1315-59-02gal.jpg

SONY-ULTRABOOK-PROTOTYPE-CES-2012.jpg

Actual model:

55-26435-sony_lightpeak_teaser.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

They had 3 Displays, a GPU, and a Disk drive. Plus enough power for everything running over LightPeak. 

This definitely wasn't released though, was it?

What role did Sony serve in the partnership, and why were they pretty much booted at the end?

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

No one invented it. It's a standard that is shared with everyone. Therefore everyone invented it. That is how we should look at it otherwise Apple will sue everyone and take the USB standard as their own and we will be left with jack sh*t. Now I hope people will stop making up crap all the time because it will ruin this industry even more then it has done it itself already/ 

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

It would seem this way. However, aside from interface and interface technologies, AFAIK it still serves the same purpose.

What role did Sony serve in the partnership, and why were they pretty much booted at the end?

Light Peak was solely optics, AFAIK. Thunderbolt started out that way, went to copper, but the spec still can sustain optical connections if they wanted to switch over to it. 

They figured that at the speeds they wanted, even at TB3s listed spec, copper would actually work well at a far lower cost so they went that direction. I'm sure once we get far enough down the line and need more, they'll go back to the optics and by that time the costs will be much lower. 

Its not the first time. Thunderbolt was a Intel push but guess who assisted? Apple. Apple even had trademarks. Apple rolled it out across the board. Apple has been pushing (and successfully I might add) to get people to get on the wagon. 

But people need to act like Apple is satan, especially around here. 

That was my point with the capital "surprise". :)

It would seem this way. However, aside from interface and interface technologies, AFAIK it still serves the same purpose. That Mac still used Light Peak though, as opposed to the current-style mDP Thunderbolt connector. I'd wonder when they started publicly testing Thunderbolt over mDP.

They were the OEM manufacturer (They were going to make the first LighPeak devices, plus some other Dev stuff behind the curtain), but they were booted because LightPeak was very expensive, which is when Apple stepped in. 

It was released. 

The Sony VAIO Z series (2012 Edition) was sold for 1 year. It was the thinnest Quad-Core laptop, and had a better battery life than the MacBook pro.

Also, it had a 1080p display with 92% sRGB. It was the laptop pictured in black. (Also, I think it may have been the first laptop with an eGPU) 

Costed From $2,300-$6,000. Had every new technology (Such as RAID 0 PCIe SSDs). But was too expensive for its own good. 

Don't you guys know? Apple doesn't invent things, they just modify other people's inventions slightly so that they are more friendly and appealing to the masses. ;-)

PC: CPU - FX 8350 @4.5 Ghz | GPU - 3x R9 290 @1100 core/1300 memory | Motherboard - Asus Crosshair V Formula Z | RAM - 16 GB Mushkin Redline 1866 Mhz | PSU - Corsair AX 860w | SSD - ADATA SX900 256 GB | HDD - Seagate 3TB 7200RPM | CPU Cooler - Noctua NH D-14 | Case - Cooler Master HAF Stacker 935

Peripherals: Monitor - ASUS VN248H-P IPS | Keyboard - Corsair K70 | Mouse - Corsair M65 | Headphones - ASUS ROG Orion Pro

I call bullshit that Apple invented it and just handed it over to the USB-IF who just won't say anything about it.

That has, as far as I know, never ever happened with any of the dozen of connectors Apple has invented or been involved with.

Apple probably contributed to the type C specs, but like with all other USB releases it has been a collaboration of many other companies as well.

LOL NO, usb 3.1 type c was alreayd shown off at ces and leaked in 2014 xD

you mean "LOL NO, USB type c was alreayd shown off at ces and leaked in 2014 XD"

Type C is not USB 3.1 only

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

invented? no. that they were heavily involved, yes, the were second into contributing the biggest amount of engineers into the project, only intel provided more man power

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

I like how everyone is getting on Apple's case about this, when it was some guy that claims someone else told him.

Hey, if they do come out and say it, then all the criticsm will be valid, but until then....

No, clearly Martha Stewart invented this, just like she invented Micro USB and strong-armed the phone makers into using it as the universal charging and data cord.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

"standard bodies"

condescending anyone?

4790k @ 4.6 (1.25 adaptive) // 2x GTX 970 stock clocks/voltage // Dominator Platnium 4x4 16G //Maximus Formula VII // WD Black1TB + 128GB 850 PRO // RM1000 // NZXT H440 // Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2013 (MX Blue) // Corsair M95 + Steelseries QCK // Razer Adaro DJ // AOC I2757FH

While i dont exactly like Apple, but I don't mind saying they are the one who initiate the whole thing. It does make sense when you take a look at the latest macbook, they are serious about it. I dont like the macbook, especially the one port but one thing Apple excel at is making one thing standard. Keep pushing it like this, it can be the standard. One thing that i really hoped for is that as mobile devices (phones and tablets) is changing to usb type c, the iPhone will use it to and we finally can have more accessories lineup, but probably won't happen that soon since lightning port is still young.

Gadgets: Lenovo Y580 (Nostromo, Naga Epic, Hydra, TrackIr5), Surface Pro 3 (i3), Lumia 930, PSVita

Rig: i7-4770K, 8GB Kingston HyperX, Asus Strix GTX970, MSI Z87-GD65, Asus Xonar DGX, CMStorm Scout II, CM Seidon 240M, BlackWidow Ultimate, Naga Epic, Goliathus Extended Control, TrackIr5, Sennheiser HD205, Audio-Technica ATR2500, Edifier speaker, Logitech G940, Logitech G27, Logitech F710, Dell S2340L, Philips 200VL, Samsung 830 128GB SSD, DXRacer FA01N

Makes a ton of sense, because Apple have been responsible for several 'failed' but objectively superior connector types to their competitors, such as FireWire and Lightning, and they also contributed heavily or even the majority to Thunderbolt.

Them changing their strategy now makes more sense than sticking to the same strategy as before.

"Doing the same thing multiple times and expecting different results is the definition of retardation".

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

Contributing large amounts does not equal "inventing". If they came up with the whole damn thing, then sure they can claim invention.

HOWEVER, Apple doesn't claim a damn thing here. It's some analyst's opinion piece who's decided this "rumour" means that Apple "invented" USB C. Personally, I'm skeptical. I have no doubt that Apple contributed heavily to its development though - perhaps even as the largest single contributor.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

they joined the usb 3.1 committee relatively late in the process. Unless the committee reworked the entire design at the end of the process (they didn't), there is little way Apple "invented" the standard. They did have a lot of people contributing, the second most behind Intel, toward the end so they were probably quite useful in finishing the standard.

they joined the usb 3.1 committee relatively late in the process. Unless the committee reworked the entire design at the end of the process (they didn't), there is little way Apple "invented" the standard. They did have a lot of people contributing, the second most behind Intel, toward the end so they were probably quite useful in finishing the standard.

To be clear, USB Type C and USB 3.1 are different standards. USB 3.1 will simply be using the USB Type C connector. They could in fact drop a USB 3 or USB 2.0 Type C connector no problem if they wanted.

However, I still agree with your general opinion.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

To be clear, USB Type C and USB 3.1 are different standards. USB 3.1 will simply be using the USB Type C connector. They could in fact drop a USB 3 or USB 2.0 Type C connector no problem if they wanted.

However, I still agree with your general opinion.

Yes, but the standard-C connector was still designed by that same committee. Apple joined after the announcement of the new connector, presumably because they saw the writing on the wall with the European legislation that would mandate USB power on mobile devices going forward.

LOL NO, usb 3.1 type c was alreayd shown off at ces and leaked in 2014 xD

and apple didnt exsit before then?

Apple took the credit for Thunderbolt when really the first people working on the project were Sony and Intel. Apple just joined in later, around the time when LightPeak was being scrapped. 

just because they joined later on dosnt mean they couldn't invent it.....maybe they reworked the design

as far as this is concerned  John Gruber or daring fireball is a massive apple fan boy and runs an apple blog so in exactly the most neutral source......id say they played a big part but i doubt they invented it.

"if nothing is impossible, try slamming a revolving door....." - unknown

my new rig bob https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/b/sGRG3C#cx710255

Kumaresh - "Judging whether something is alive by it's capability to live is one of the most idiotic arguments I've ever seen." - jan 2017

The comments are real !

|EVGA 850 P2| |1440p PG279Q| |X570 Aorus Extreme| |Ryzen 9 3950x WC| |FE 2080Ti WC|TridentZ Neo 64GB| |Samsung 970 EVO M.2 1TB x3

|Logitech G900|K70 Cherry MX Speed|  |Logitech Z906 |  |HD650|  |CaseLabs SMA8 (one of the last ones made)

and apple didnt exsit before then?

just because they joined later on dosnt mean they couldn't invent it.....maybe they reworked the design

as far as this is concerned  John Gruber or daring fireball is a massive apple fan boy and runs an apple blog so in exactly the most neutral source......id say they played a big part but i doubt they invented it.

They did rework it.

But they were far from coming up with the idea and design.