Will the fx 8320 bottleneck a gtx 980?

Go to solution Solved by s3ns3,

i wish intel had something overclockable in the 120-130$ price point as i favor intel but they dont. so, does this cpu bottleneck the 980 ? and is there any other cpu that is decent in this price point?

cpu oc is more like a hobby nowadays. the fx line is old if you really want the 980 get an i3 4150/60 because it will be better for gaming.and its on 1150.easy upgrade in the future. 

but a balanced build will be i5 4460 with gtx 970

Will the fx 8320 bottleneck a gtx 980? i dont have the money to buy a very good cpu and gpu. so i figured out a gpu is more important in gaming. i wish intel had something overclockable in the 120-130$ price point as i favor intel but they dont. so, does this cpu bottleneck the 980 ? and is there any other cpu that is decent in this price point?

the intel i3 will be a good CPU for the price point

downgrade to the GTX970 or pick the 290X and you will be able to afford the i5

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

Yes, I would suggest a 970 and i5 4460 instead.

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

i wish intel had something overclockable in the 120-130$ price point as i favor intel but they dont. so, does this cpu bottleneck the 980 ? and is there any other cpu that is decent in this price point?

They do? Get an i3 or a G3258

Enthoo Primo - ASUS Maximus Formula VII - 4790k 4.8ghz 1.28v - EK Supremacy Evo Clean - 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical - 1000w EVGA Supernova Gold - 2x Alphacool Monsta Rads in push/pull - 2x Galaxy 780 HoF with EK waterblock

Build Log http://imgur.com/a/UV6Wh Just want to warn everyone, my build log is pretty mediocre.

well maybe i forgot to mention this.. i dont want a dual core. some games run shitty on a dual core even with a very good gpu like the 980

cpu oc is more like a hobby nowadays. the fx line is old if you really want the 980 get an i3 4150/60 because it will be better for gaming.and its on 1150.easy upgrade in the future. 

but a balanced build will be i5 4460 with gtx 970

i have i3 with 970

works just fine, playing all games on ultra at 1080p

i do mean to upgrade to i5 or i7 in about a year, but for now its super

I have an i3 4360 and I love it, definetly recommend it more than an fx chip.

My Main PC:

CPUi5 3570k CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper T4 Motherboard: Asus p8z77-v pro  RAM: Crucial Balistic 2x4gb  GPU: Two PNY GTX 680's in SLI Case: Some rando Antec one  PSU: Thermaltake 1000w  Display: HP Elite Display 321i 23''  Storage: Samsung 840 Evo 128gb, Seagate Barracuda 1tb

Will bottleneck like fuck.

i7 5930k . 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 2666 DDR4 . Gigabyte GA-X99-Gaming G1-WIFI . Zotac GeForce GTX 980 AMP! 4GB SLi . Crucial M550 1TB SSD . LG BD . Fractal Design Define R2 Black Pearl . SuperFlower Leadex Gold 750w . BenQ GW2765HT 2560x1440 . CM Storm QF TK MX Blue . SteelSeries Rival 
i5 2500k/ EVGA Z68SLi/ FX 8320/ Phenom II B55 x4/ MSI 790FX-GD70/ G.skill Ripjaws X 1600 8GB kit/ Geil Black Dragon 1600 4GB kit/ Sapphire Ref R9 290/ XFX DD GHOST 7770 

You all clearly are misinformed about bottlenecking lol

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K @ 4.8GHZGPU: MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Gaming X (X2 - SLI)RAM: 24GB | Storage: 128GB 960 PRO M.2 SSD, 1TB & 750GB HDD | Operating System: Windows 10, MacOS High Sierra

In my opinion if you can't afford it yet, get a Pentium K with a Z97 and upgrade later.

They do? Get an i3 or a G3258

G3258/"Pentium K" will bottleneck a 980 even worse then an FX-8320 in AAA titles. If switching from FX8 to Intel on a high-end GPU best to save up for at least a locked i5.

"Rawr XD"

i5-4690k / Z97 / GTX970/R9 290X

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

In my opinion if you can't afford it yet, get a Pentium K with a Z97 and upgrade later.

Exactly what I did, and I can run pretty much everything.

The Pentium is a placeholder you can genuinely game on until you get an i5.

CPU - Intel Core i5 10600K @ 5GHz @ 1.35v + EK Custom Loop (Evo Supremacy Block, 240mm Copper Radiator, Res/Pump Combo, Mayhem Soft Tubing and Fluid) - GPU - Gigabyte G1 GeForce GTX 1070 - RAM - 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB @ 3200MHz - Mobo - Asus Z490-A Prime - SSD - Samsung 850 120GB - HDD - 2TB WD Black - PSU - EVGA G2 650W Gold - Case - Corsair 680X RGB White with 6 x Corsair LL120 Fans. 

Picture of my System - https://imgur.com/gallery/q27dw2g

G3258/"Pentium K" will bottleneck a 980 even worse then an FX-8320 in AAA titles. If switching from FX8 to Intel on a high-end GPU best to save up for at least a locked i5.

Read post again skrub

Read post again skrub

What? You said get PK+Z97 and upgrade later. Instead of getting worse performance in the mean time, might as well keep using the FX until you've saved up enough for an i5+H81.

"Rawr XD"

What? You said get PK+Z97 and upgrade later. Instead of getting worse performance in the mean time, might as well keep using the FX until you've saved up enough for an i5+H81.

Thus taking much longer and making him exert way more effort than he needs too.

Much cheaper to overclock a pentium to 4.2Ghz on stock temporarily then upgrade to i5 later

Much cheaper to overclock a pentium to 4.2Ghz on stock temporarily then upgrade to i5 later

No it's not, it will be more expensive because you will have to buy the Pentium in the first place.... There is actually more effort involved in getting a Pentium first and upgrading later because later on he will have to take out the Pentium and swap it for the i5 when he could just be doing it in one go.

Not to mention again that G3258 even overclocked will perform worse then FX-8320 in games that are demanding enough to take advantage of a 980, so Pentium K in any argument is irrelevant in the first place. 

"Rawr XD"

in most new games NO it will not bottleneck. the gpu is more important than the cpu as long as the cpu is good enough which the 8320 especially when oc'd is more than good enough for most games. the 8320 paired with 980 will get you over 60 fps in about every game out there and 100+ fps in most games

people here act like every single game is cpu intensive which most arent really.

that said, if you have 980 money you can get a i5

cpu:i7-4770k    gpu: msi reference r9 290x  liquid cooled with h55 and hg10 a1     motherboard:z97x gaming 5   ram:gskill sniper 8 gb

No it's not, it will be more expensive because you will have to buy the Pentium in the first place.... There is actually more effort involved in getting a Pentium first and upgrading later because later on he will have to take out the Pentium and swap it for the i5 when he could just be doing it in one go.

Not to mention again that G3258 even overclocked will perform worse then FX-8320 in games that are demanding enough to take advantage of a 980, so Pentium K in any argument is irrelevant in the first place. 

"doing it in one go"

One is installing the cpu twice.

One is installing the motherboard and cpu... twice..

hmm

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/kh9Wzy
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/kh9Wzy/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Pentium G3258 3.2GHz Dual-Core Processor  ($49.99 @ Micro Center) 
Motherboard: ASRock Z97 Anniversary ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($79.99 @ Micro Center) 
Total: $129.98

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/nPW6sY
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/nPW6sY/by_merchant/

CPU: AMD FX-8320 3.5GHz 8-Core Processor  ($135.75 @ OutletPC) 
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3P ATX AM3+ Motherboard  ($73.88 @ OutletPC) 
Total: $209.63

This also includes before buying an intel motherboard :)

I'm sorry, you were saying?

Not huge performance difference compared to price...

The Pentium is an amazing stepping stone.

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/nPW6sY

Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/nPW6sY/by_merchant/

CPU: AMD FX-8320 3.5GHz 8-Core Processor  ($135.75 @ OutletPC) 
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3P ATX AM3+ Motherboard  ($73.88 @ OutletPC) 
Total: $209.63

CPU: Intel Core i5-4440 3.1GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($173.61 @ OutletPC) 
Motherboard: MSI H81M-P33 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($44.85 @ OutletPC) 
Total: $218.46
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-03-12 20:08 EDT-0400

I'm sorry, you were saying?

That for less then $10 more he could be getting much more performance and have zero bottleneck with that 980 altogether. If only you paid attention instead of going on about the same thing over and over

"Rawr XD"

CPU: Intel Core i5-4440 3.1GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($173.61 @ OutletPC) 
Motherboard: MSI H81M-P33 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($44.85 @ OutletPC) 
Total: $218.46
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-03-12 20:08 EDT-0400

That for less then $10 more he could be getting much more performance and have zero bottleneck with that 980 altogether. If only you paid attention instead of going on about the same thing over and over

This is exactly what I would prefer him to do but you defended getting an FX before an i5.

This is exactly what I would prefer him to do but you defended getting an FX before an i5.

I'm not sure how it was coming across, but the point I was trying to get at is that saving up for a locked i5+H81 was a better idea then getting an 8320 OR G3258+Z97, but for some reason you kept defending the G3258.

"Rawr XD"

I'm not sure how it was coming across, but the point I was trying to get at is that saving up for a locked i5+H81 was a better idea then getting an 8320 OR G3258+Z97, but for some reason you kept defending the G3258.

Then we both misinterpreted each other..

I thought you meant get an FX 8320 until he could afford an i5..

And I was trying to say if you need something while saving up for an i5..

But I would much prefer someone to save up for a good motherboard (h87/h97) and a gold old locked i5 than get an FX 8320 and all the expensive gear to over clock it and make it worth the money.

But I would much prefer someone to save up for a good motherboard (h87/h97) and a gold old locked i5 than get an FX 8320 and all the expensive gear to over clock it and make it worth the money.

Honestly with a locked i5 you won't notice a difference between H81 and H87/H97, it's just that the latter boards look nicer. I'd consider the 7 boards for future CF, but with the 980 for SLI you will need a Z board anyways

"Rawr XD"