Why does this video card cost so much?

meritmaster

I destroy my enemies when I make them my friends.

~Abraham Lincoln

In times when we are on the brink of destruction, war, and loosing ourselves, let's remember a basic fundamental element of love, forgiveness, and understanding; God bless!

It's made for a very different type of computation when compared to a gaming GPU. Most cards like this will cost quite abit.

Maybe for people who want a shit ton of displays? 

RIP in pepperonis m8s

It most likely has industry-related reasons.

For what industry related reason though? :o

~Abraham Lincoln

In times when we are on the brink of destruction, war, and loosing ourselves, let's remember a basic fundamental element of love, forgiveness, and understanding; God bless!

Because its a professional GPU not a gaming GPU

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Because it supports 10 displays and only requires power for the PCI-e slot so you could in theory stack 7 of them together for 70 displays.

oops miscounted display ports, it actually has 8, so could stack 7 for 56.

CPU: i7 5820K 4.0GHz @1.15V | MOBO: Asus X99 Sabertooth | GPU: Gigabyte Windforce GTX 980Ti, LTT Orange | CASE: NZXT H440 Black 2015 | COOLER: Noctua NH-D15S w/ LTT Fans | RAM: 32GB Patriot 3000MHz | STORAGE: 512GB Samsung 950 Pro, 960GB Sandisk Ultra II 3 x 8TB Seagate HDD's | PSU: 750W Seasonic X series, black / orange cablemod cables| Monitors: 3x Asus VX24AH's | AUDIO OUT: Microlab SOLO 8C, Sennheiser HD 650's, Audio engine D1 Amp / DAC | AUDIO IN: Blue Snowball | Keyboard: CM Storm QuickFire TK MX Green | Mouse: Logitech G900 Proteus Spectrum + RSI Extended Mouse Pad | PCPP Linkhttp://nz.pcpartpicker.com/list/hPjFd6

Because it supports 10 displays and only requires power for the PCI-e slot so you could in theory stack 7 of them together for 70 displays.

Ahhhh this makes sense, still can't believe they pay that price though, but i suppose it is an industry grade card. 

~Abraham Lincoln

For what industry related reason though? :o

for things like traffic camera monitoring , or things like that that need many displays to show, it costs so much because it will more then likely not fail when having displays would cause a major inconvenience in said industry , you know what im getting at i hope .-. 

Please quote me or tag me if your trying to talk to me , I might see it through all my other notifications ^_^

Spoiler
Spoiler
the current list of dead cards is as follows 2 evga gtx 980ti acx 2.0 , 1 evga gtx 980 acx 2.0 1600mhz core 2100mhz ram golden chip card ... failed hardcore , 1 290x that caught fire , 1 hd 7950 .

may you all rest in peaces in the giant pc in the sky

for things like traffic camera monitoring , or things like that that need many displays to show, it costs so much because it will more then likely not fail when having displays would cause a major inconvenience in said industry , you know what im getting at i hope .-. 

Yep! Makes perfect sense now. :P

~Abraham Lincoln

Pfft. Please the card is a bonus.

All those adapters cost at least 69,000$

Kappa

Nvidia is to Dr Dre Beets as AMD is to KFC.

One makes you broke, the other you can get more of and have a midnight snack from the fridge when hungry again. Once you go Nvidia, you go broked, turn into an Elitist, or get the incorrect amount of VRAM.

- WCCFTECH

I was only 9 years old. I loved Fifflaren so much, I had all the NiP merchandise and matches pirated. I prayed to Fifflaren every night before bed. Thanking him for the life I have been given. Fifflaren is love I say. Fifflaren is life. My dad hears and calls me a fuckhead. I knew he was just jelly of my passion for Fifflaren. I called him a Sw@yer. He hits me and sends me to go to sleep. I'm crying now, and my face hurts. I lay in bed and it's really cold. A warmth is moving towards me. I feel someone touching me. I feel someone touching me. It's Fifflaren. I am so happy. He whispers in my ear; "this is my pyjama". He grabs me with his powerful Swedish hands and puts me on my hands and knees. I'm ready. I spread my ass cheeks for Fifflaren. He penetrates my butt-hole. It hurts so much but I do it for Fifflaren. I can feel my butt tearing as my eyes start to water. I push against his force. I want to please Fifflaren. He roars a viking roar as he fills my butt with his love. My dad walks in. Fifflaren looks straight into his eyes and says; "He is a ninja now". Fifflaren is love, Fifflaren is life 

This is for security monitoring applications, and different things in where people need to see a mass of data at a time. Like when they operate trains, they have a system of monitors displaying lots of info.

There are other uses for graphics cards than gaming, and graphics cards designed for uses other than gaming.

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

Because it's designed to power a shit ton of displays.  It's designed for "the M9188 drives energy, transportation, process control, financial trading, and other mission-critical environments with extraordinary performance."

I worked in a refinery over the summer and the engineers have control rooms which have a shit ton of displays going on displaying all sorts of information.  I can very easily see a lot of industrial use cases for something like this.  You wouldn't want to use traditional video cards for something like this, you're paying for something that will not only work but also be reliable and efficient.  It's meant for places where downtime is a crisis.  

It's also worth noting that this supports much more high res displays than normal video cards.  5K is pretty much the max out point for most normal GPU's, even across multi monitors.  This thing is capable of essentially putting out a 4K display per output.

4K // R5 3600 // RTX2080Ti