Dynamite With a Laser Beam: Lockheed Unveils Weapon of the Future

DevilishBooster

Now we just need to figure out how to mount them onto sharks. Or sea bass...

ATHENA creates a 30-kilowatt laser beam, which Lockheed Martin describes as having the "highest power ever documented by a laser weapon of its type." As the online magazine Motherboard notes, an everyday pointer laser is around 1 milliwatt. ATHENA is about 3 million times more.

http://www.newsweek.com/dynamite-laser-beam-lockheed-unveils-weapon-future-311967

post-63986-0-11624800-1425668271.jpg

END OF LINE

-- Project Deep Freeze Build Log --

Quote me so that I always know when you reply, feel free to snip if the quote is long. May your FPS be high and your temperatures low.

Or figure out how to prevent them from becoming a thing
The states doesn't need more deadly weapons they're doing enough bad as is

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

The states doesn't need more wmds they're doing enough bad as is

This isn't a WMD. WMD are devices that disperse their effect over a large area and kill indiscriminately. This is something that is aimed at a single isolated and deliberately chosen target.

END OF LINE

Quote me so that I always know when you reply, feel free to snip if the quote is long. May your FPS be high and your temperatures low.

The states doesn't need more wmds they're doing enough bad as is

This isn't a WMD. It's a precision strike weapon that attacks specific targets, like a rail gun or even a 16" battleship gun.

Nuclear bombs and bio weapons are WMDs.

0_O If it can do that to a car, I don't even want to imagine what it can do to a human. It may not be a WMD, but @thekeemo is right. We need to draw the line somewhere, it might as well be here. #nomorewar

Edit: If used on a human, the result would probably be similar to this:

Fast forward to 1:13

Mayonnaise is an instrument!  

Current Build - Ryzen 7 3800x (eco mode enabled), MSI B550M MAG Mortar, G.Skill Ripjaws V 32 GB (2x16) 3200 14-14-14-34, EVGA 2060 KO Ultra, EVGA G2 550W, Phanteks Enthoo Pro M, Creative Sound Blaster Audigy Rx

That is pretty crazy how it can melt through an engine block in a mater of seconds. considering that the truck is an older ford which likely has a cast iron v8, the amount of damage it could do to a modern car with an aluminum block would be even higher.

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

0_O If it can do that to a car, I don't even want to imagine what it can do to a human. It may not be a WMD, but @thekeemo is right. We need to draw the line somewhere, it might as well be here. #nomorewar

I highly doudt it would be used on human because it would not be efficient. Use 30 kilowatt to kill one person would be really unreasonable. It would probably be used on vehicles such as planes, tanks

Cpu:i5-4690k Gpu:r9 280x with some other things

I highly doudt it would be used on human because it would not be efficient. Use 30 kilowatt to kill one person would be really unreasonable. It would probably be used on vehicles such as planes, tanks

Yes because if there's one thing military campaigns are about, it's using reasonable means to kill people.

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

I can see this being effective against insurgent vehicles that's usually just a Toyota with a gun on it.

If you want to join a really cool Discord chatroom with some great guys here from LTT and outside this community then PM me!

That didn't stop the US from carpet bombing Japan & Germany during WWII, where the majority of the bombs dropped missed their intended military target, often hitting civilian homes. Or napalming Vietnam's jungles to oblivion in order to flush out the Viet Cong, yet look how well that worked.

Mayonnaise is an instrument!  

Current Build - Ryzen 7 3800x (eco mode enabled), MSI B550M MAG Mortar, G.Skill Ripjaws V 32 GB (2x16) 3200 14-14-14-34, EVGA 2060 KO Ultra, EVGA G2 550W, Phanteks Enthoo Pro M, Creative Sound Blaster Audigy Rx

This isn't a WMD. WMD are devices that disperse their effect over a large area and kill indiscriminately. This is something that is aimed at a single isolated and deliberately chosen target.

fixed

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

#nomoremilitaries

You are right that it is not a weapon of mass destruction. However, they will create a huge mass of these weapons causing destruction to multiple individuals. In the end, same result.

You are right that it is not a weapon of mass destruction. However, they will create a huge mass of these weapons causing destruction to multiple individuals. In the end, same result.

"Multiple individuals" does not constitute a WMD. A direct action laser device will never be able to cause destruction on the scale of a WMD. It would be considered a tactical or "surgical" weapon because it is very precise in the damage it causes. And yes, I'm a member of the US military, so I do know a little about it.

If you still don't believe me, here is the definition of a WMD:

From the FBI website:

Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD) are defined in US law (18 USC §2332a) as:

“(A) any destructive device as defined in section 921 of this title (i.e. explosive device);

( B) any weapon that is designed or intended to cause death or serious bodily injury through the release, dissemination, or impact of toxic or poisonous chemicals, or their precursors;

© any weapon involving a biological agent, toxin, or vector (as those terms are defined in section 178 of this title)(D) any weapon that is designed to release radiation or radioactivity at a level dangerous to human life.”

WMD is often referred to by the collection of modalities that make up the set of weapons: chemical, biological, radiological, nuclear, and explosive (CBRNE). These are weapons that have a relatively large-scale impact on people, property, and/or infrastructure.

From the Encyclopedia Britanica:

weapon of mass destruction (WMD), weapon with the capacity to inflict death and destruction on such a massive scale and so indiscriminately that its very presence in the hands of a hostile power can be considered a grievous threat. Modern weapons of mass destruction are either nuclear, biological, or chemical weapons—frequently referred to collectively as NBC weapons. See nuclear weapon, chemical warfare, biological warfare.

END OF LINE

-snip-

Hence why I said that it is not a weapon of mass destruction. Though that does not mean it won't lead to the destruction of the masses. Firearms are not weapons of mass destruction, yet used by many to kill many other people, whether it be in genocides or wars or what not. Indeed, it does not kill an enormous amount of people in a short amount of time, but I still don't think makes it any better. Killing just leads to destruction and with the ability to make a huge amount of weapons, comes a much greater amount of deaths. Also at 59 cents a shot, there is no way they won't use that regularly.

obviously they didnt watch the episode of aldnoah zero where they destroyed a mech with laser weapons using a battle ship that has projectile weapons and hiding under the earth's curvature