What's the maximum amount of Dual GPU cards that you can SLI or Crossfire

I kinda know that the max amount of Dual GPU being set to support only 2 , But recently read a post about how maingear guys didi a quad Titan Z buildfor a total of 8 GPU in a single PC , How is that possible? or was this possible from the begining taken that "only 2 dual GPU being supported" being a myth....

Also , NVIDIA grid servers use like 12-16 GPU in series , presumabily sli'd ,So i was wondering how is this possible , do they use a seperate driver to acheive this feat or is it something else? or is it due to mobo limitation?

15857528050_e726a114f4_k.jpg

big_nvidia-grid-vca-1.jpg

Details separate people.

2 but they can be used in rendering without SLI

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

pretty sure its 2.

"Sulit" (adj.) something that is worth it

i7 8700K 4.8Ghz delidded / Corsair H100i V2 / Asus Strix Z370-F / G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB 3200 / EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB & 250GB - Crucial MX300 M.2 525GB / Fractal Design Define S / Corsair K70 MX Reds / Logitech G502 / Beyerdynamic DT770 250Ohm

SMSL SD793II AMP/DAC - Schiit Magni 3 / PCPP

Old Rig

i5 2500k 4.5Ghz | Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P | Zotac GTX 980 AMP! Extreme | Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB 1866MHz

2 in SLI, but more with software-based linking.

My arsenal: i7-9700k Gaming Rig, an iPhone, and Stupidity.

SLI/CF only support 4 GPUs for gaming (either 4 single cards or two dual-GPU cards).

AFAIK, you can have as many GPUs as you want, provided that the application you're running has support for it. Things like coin mining and other GPU-compute tools often support large arrays of GPUs (if you have space to fit them).

i7 not perfectly stable at 4.4.. #firstworldproblems

You can use dedicated software to give each pair of Cards (with 2GPU's each) to have it's own operations (like each card does like 1/8th the workload)

Also, i know this is true with compute cards, but you can also set them up to work together

Are you new? Please read CoC  Before posting! PLEASE SELECT 'AUTOMATIC' FOR FONT COLOR FOR US DARK THEME USERS (Only for dark shades)If you can read this, it means you need to change to NIGHT THEME (bottom left above LMG logo) Please follow your threads and Quote people when replying to them. Mark your problem as solved if answered. Don't spam, nobody likes a spammer. DO NOT QUOTE IMAGES! BE NICE!

you can use 2 dual gpus/4 gpu cores in sli but you can use more non sli, if you really need to

My Rig  

PCPartPicker part list: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/kGNksY

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($379.00 @ shopRBC) 

CPU Cooler: RAIJINTEK THEMIS 65.7 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  ($34.99 @ NCIX) 

Motherboard: MSI CSM-H87M-G43 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($78.83 @ DirectCanada) 

Memory: Kingston HyperX 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($139.99 @ Memory Express) 

Storage: Kingston Fury 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($71.34 @ DirectCanada) 

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($92.95 @ Vuugo) 

Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon R9 280X 3GB Video Card  ($298.98 @ Newegg Canada) 

Case: Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($125.98 @ Newegg Canada) 

Power Supply: Corsair CX 600W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($66.99 @ NCIX) 

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 - 64-bit (OEM) (64-bit)  ($116.00 @ shopRBC) 

Case Fan: Cougar Turbine 120 (4-Pack) 60.4 CFM 120mm  Fans  ($23.99 @ NCIX) 

Monitor: HP 22xi 60Hz 21.5" Monitor  ($187.11 @ Amazon Canada) 

Monitor: HP 22xi 60Hz 21.5" Monitor  ($187.11 @ Amazon Canada) 

Keyboard: Logitech G710 Wired Gaming Keyboard  ($114.99 @ NCIX) 

Mouse: Razer DeathAdder 2013 Wired Optical Mouse  ($76.99 @ Amazon Canada) 

Headphones: Kingston HyperX Cloud Pro Headset  ($78.98 @ DirectCanada) 

Total: $2074.22

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when availableGenerated by PCPartPicker 2015-04-10 15:33 EDT-0400Build log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/303263-the-dell-from-hell/#entry4121100 

Phone Compassion Spreadsheet https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1EN6s426gyxqPloIqT4wQ7Y7yovkkQy_5B3djVN-N-R8/edit#gid=0

Gta V Pc Online Crew http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/344773-unofficial-linus-tech-tips-gta-v-crew-pc/

2 in SLI/CFX

you can have MORE than 2 in a system, they just cant be in SLI/CFX

they will still work, it just means that you cant game with the combined power of all of them

some programs for rendering or 3d modeling can use GPUs that are not in SLI/CFX because its not gaming

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

You can use them without SLI just fine. It's on games that you need it to work together on the same process.

However parallel tasks can be configured different. You can have a GPU just to hook up more monitors, do rendering on the background, etc.

SLI is for games.

in servers alot.... but in normal systems 4 max 

Its all looks these days

In the Maingear system, only two of the cards are being used for SLI while the other 2 cards can be used for Cuda or other professional applications. For nVidia grid or any other GPU based server/workstation, SLI is a waste of time and resources, so all cards operate independently in terms of how they are connected, but they can still work together.

2 in SLI, but more with software-based linking.

SLI/CF only support 4 GPUs for gaming (either 4 single cards or two dual-GPU cards).

AFAIK, you can have as many GPUs as you want, provided that the application you're running has support for it. Things like coin mining and other GPU-compute tools often support large arrays of GPUs (if you have space to fit them).

You can use dedicated software to give each pair of Cards (with 2GPU's each) to have it's own operations (like each card does like 1/8th the workload)

Also, i know this is true with compute cards, but you can also set them up to work together

2 in SLI/CFX

you can have MORE than 2 in a system, they just cant be in SLI/CFX

they will still work, it just means that you cant game with the combined power of all of them

some programs for rendering or 3d modeling can use GPUs that are not in SLI/CFX because its not gaming

You can use them without SLI just fine. It's on games that you need it to work together on the same process.

However parallel tasks can be configured different. You can have a GPU just to hook up more monitors, do rendering on the background, etc.

SLI is for games.

So Each card has to be identified seperately & the work load can be split & spread over it by the software , i have a few more question, can you please answer them to the best of your abilities?

1. So does this use like the  GPU driver of a different calliber to get the job done or use the same drivers as everyone else uses?
  2. Does this cut off the memory to pretty much half or less (as in SLI) when on a threaded workload like that like that?
  3. Any ideas on why games cannot utilize this?
  4. Any current mainstream software support this form of rendering like Adobe?

Details separate people.

So Each card has to be identified seperately & the work load can be split & spread over it by the software , i have a few more question, can you please answer them to the best of your abilities?

1. So does this use like the  GPU driver of a different calliber to get the job done or use the same drivers as everyone else uses?
  2. Does this cut off the memory to pretty much half or less (as in SLI) when on a threaded workload like that like that?

1. Yes, of course. They also don't want people using the software for some reason.

3. I'm not 100% sure about memory, but if the workload is split, im guessing each set will run in SLI (of some sort) and only get the memory of one card, meaning only 50% of the memory of all cards.

3. Games already suck at using SLI, i can't imagine games using this

4. I'll take a shot and say movie editors etc. have "modded" versions of Premiere etc?

Are you new? Please read CoC  Before posting! PLEASE SELECT 'AUTOMATIC' FOR FONT COLOR FOR US DARK THEME USERS (Only for dark shades)If you can read this, it means you need to change to NIGHT THEME (bottom left above LMG logo) Please follow your threads and Quote people when replying to them. Mark your problem as solved if answered. Don't spam, nobody likes a spammer. DO NOT QUOTE IMAGES! BE NICE!

1- The driver will allow to have extra cards up to some extent, but usually it requires a lot of fiddling to get several GPUs working properly. So you do need extra software.

2- Usually each card can use it's whole vram amount. But it can vary if it's processing the same thing.

3- Even if the API could sopport it (they don't), you would only generate more and more issues. Also you need the game makers to have proper scaling...

4- Most of them do, there are some small addons and patches that can be added for improved functionality.

Questions 1, 2 and 4 can only really be answered by saying "it depends on the software".. AFAIK, people with those ridiculous 20 R9-290X bitcoin(and similar) mining rigs only needed to install normal drivers and the mining software. Professional CAD tools generally require Quadro//Tesla/Firepro drivers (which of course require the user to have a Quadro, Tesla, or Firepro card).. I'm sure that 3D animation companies like Pixar have plenty of their own software specifically optimized for the hardware that they're using.

If the software is using the different GPUs for different tasks, the GPUs will be able to have different things in their memory which would allow for the VRAM to "stack", but of course, this still all depends on whether or not the software can make an intelligent decision about that.. Last time I played around with password cracking software (Hashcat, which as a funny side note, can support up to 128 GPUs), my VRAM usage only was around 400-500 MB on each of my GPUs, which of course is low enough that it doesn't really matter.

Games don't really utilize it because it becomes impractical for the game to communicate with tons of different GPUs. Game performance generally doesn't scale very well above 2 GPUs (just look at some 4-way SLI/CF gaming benchmarks), so creating games that can "use" 8 GPUs is just a waste of time. Most people have 1 or 2 GPU rigs, so it doesn't really make a ton of sense for developers to spend development resources on insane multi-GPU rigs.

i7 not perfectly stable at 4.4.. #firstworldproblems