VLC Update Major Multi-Platform Release

VLC media player (commonly known as VLC) is a portable, free and open-source, cross-platform media player and streaming media server written by the VideoLAN project. - Wikipedia

The entire feature / fix list per platform is long enough to warrant visiting the source for the full description.

Source: http://venturebeat.com/2015/02/27/vlc-gets-first-major-release-across-windows-mac-linux-android-ios-windows-phone-windows-rt-and-android-tv/

Additional: http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2477511,00.asp

The company told VentureBeat that the releases are the result of more than a year of volunteer work on the VLC engine and the libVLC library. As a result, VLC has gained numerous new features, has seen more than 1,000 bugs fixed, and has significantly increased its scope of supported formats

One major cross-platform addition is that VLC now automatically detects rotated videos. It can then rotate them using hardware acceleration (supported for MP4/MOV, MKV, and raw H264) for proper consumption.

For all platforms, the new version adds support for Digital Cinema Package to play native movie theater formats, compatibility for “a very large number of unusual codecs,” and “vastly improved compatibility” for UltraHD video codecs like VP9 and H265, including encoding, as well as problematic files in Ogg, MP4, and WMV.

This is the feature I find I will enjoy the most - 

First and foremost, VLC media player 2.2.0 adds a feature that has been supported on VLC mobile for quite some time: resume playback where you left off.

It's nice to see so much work being put into open source applications, and there's more to come with VLC 3.0 reported to be coming out this year.

edit: Chromecast support is said to be coming in version 3.0 in a release later this year.

The Internet is the first thing that humanity has built that humanity doesn't understand, the largest experiment in anarchy that we have ever had.

Yay for VLC!... I have been noticing a lot of bugs lately but its nice they have pushed an update to hopefully fix them all :)

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

I just checked for updates.  It says I have the latest release.

Update to 2.2.0 from the website, I guess they haven't pushed the update yet.

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

So I've tried a bunch on Blu-Rays to see if they've managed to improve playback and VLC just crashes as soon as I hit play xD

Nice work but screw material design we want chromecast support asap !!

Nice work but screw material design we want chromecast support asap !!

That's said to be in 3.0 later this year.

The Internet is the first thing that humanity has built that humanity doesn't understand, the largest experiment in anarchy that we have ever had.

Material design, someone said? I'm interested. Screenshots?

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Material design, someone said? I'm interested. Screenshots?

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/screenshots.html

Is that what you're looking for?

I am running 3.0 nightly, no real issues.

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

So is VLC not total shit anymore?

Anyone who has a sister hates the fact that his sister isn't Kasugano Sora.
Anyone who does not have a sister hates the fact that Kasugano Sora isn't his sister.
I'm not insulting anyone; I'm just being condescending. There is a difference, you see...

literally just stopped using VLC in exchange for Media Player Classic..

I got SO FUCKING SICK of the lagging in 720p and 1080p videos. All the damn time, in ANY type of file with these resolutions it would lag for no reason, going to 5fps. 

what the hell is up with that?

This is what I think of Pre-Ordering video games: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wp98SH3vW2Y

VLC is the only media player I use, haven't had any problems with it. :o

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

you people need to download L-Kite Mega Coded pack which comes with MPC-HC 64 Bit, and uninstall VLC, seriously 

http://www.codecguide.com/download_k-lite_codec_pack_mega.htm

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

you people need to download L-Kite Mega Coded pack which comes with MPC-HC 64 Bit, and uninstall VLC, seriously 

http://www.codecguide.com/download_k-lite_codec_pack_mega.htm

People need to download KCP and uninstall K-Lite codec pack, seriously.

How it is better than K-Lite?

madVR and XySybFilter.

Pretty big upgrade for VLC. The VLC hate was justified back in 1.X but it got a whole lot better in 2.0. No need to talk down on it anymore, even though I prefer MPC-HC.

literally just stopped using VLC in exchange for Media Player Classic..

I got SO FUCKING SICK of the lagging in 720p and 1080p videos. All the damn time, in ANY type of file with these resolutions it would lag for no reason, going to 5fps.

what the hell is up with that?

I never had issues with vlc even when using my laptop which does not have graphics card and everything was fine for me...

People need to download KCP and uninstall K-Lite codec pack, seriously.

How it is better than K-Lite?

madVR and XySybFilter.

Pretty big upgrade for VLC. The VLC hate was justified back in 1.X but it got a whole lot better in 2.0. No need to talk down on it anymore, even though I prefer MPC-HC.

MPC-HC has MadVR !!!, that's why i use it , also hello good morning !!! , it has all the renders you need , you can easily change to any 

Edit - we both are literally talking about same players lol , Klite has kawaii/Lav/MadVR and almost anything you could think of all in media Player 

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

That's said to be in 3.0 later this year.

does that include the Android version? If so thats fantastic.

AMD Ryzen 5900x, Nvidia RTX 3080 (MSI Gaming X-trio), ASrock X570 Extreme4, 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB @ 3200mhz CL16, Corsair MP600 1TB, Intel 660P 1TB, Corsair HX1000, Corsair 680x, Corsair H100i Platinum

vlc is buggy and crappy as hell. But it plays everything and does everything to a certain standard and thats what makes it for most people, including myself. At some point you get tired of messing about with video codecs and players and command line applications and just want to watch shit, so you install vlc after the reformat and forgot whatever hackeneyed setup you had working before.

The one thing that bothers me about VLC, more than anything else, is that the initial boot time is slow as molasses.

This is media player we are talking about, not a full-fledged operating system; fix that already!

Read the community standards; it's like a guide on how to not be a moron.

Gerdauf's Law: Each and every human being, without exception, is the direct carbon copy of the types of people that he/she bitterly opposes.

Remember, calling facts opinions does not ever make the facts opinions, no matter what nonsense you pull.

MPC-HC has MadVR !!!, that's why i use it , also hello good morning !!! , it has all the renders you need , you can easily change to any 

Edit - we both are literally talking about same players lol , Klite has kawaii/Lav/MadVR and almost anything you could think of all in media Player 

I know both K-Lite and KCP include MPC-HC. What I was saying is that you shouldn't install K-Lite because KCP is better. Both use the same media player but the other components are not the same. KCP includes madVR as the default renderer for example.

I hope you were not offended by my comment. I was just joking when I copied you. I don't think K-Lite is that good though, unless you install madVR by itself as well but if you're going to do that you might as well just get KCP to begin with.