Linux 4.0 Doesn't Have The Weirdest Codename

qwertywarrior

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Linux-4.0-Codename-Discussion

lol

With last night's release of the Linux 4.0-rc1 kernel, Linus Torvalds changed the kernel codename from "Diseased Newt" to "Hurr durr I'ma sheep." While the codename may seem a bit odd, the Linux kernel codenames are generally quite awkward.

While Linux 4.0 is codenamed "Hurr durr I'ma sheep", Linux 3.0 was codenamed the Sneaky Weasel while the last of the Linux 2.6 series was codenamed Flesh-Eating Bats with Fangs. Yes, the codenames are generally quite odd with some other codenames being like Sheep on Meth (Linux 2.6.34/2.6.35), Funky Weasel is Jiggy wit it (Linux 2.6.25), and Arr Matey! A Hairy Bilge Rat! (Linux 2.6.23~2.6.24). Going back to the Linux 1.3 was the Greased Weasel codename.

If you have a slow start to the week and want to ponder over old kernel codenames chosen by Torvalds, there's an entire Wikipedia article devoted to Linux kernel names. Or if you wish to be more productive starting off the week, read about the changes coming for Linux 4.0, formerly known as Linux 3.20.

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

TIL Linux dosnt take it self seriously

This is amazing.

i want the next one to be called "diseased chicken pasta"

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

No, @qwertywarrior, I am betting my G1820's glorious stock cpu cooler that the next iteration of the kernel will be named "asthmatic fishie fish."

Please please Torvalds, make my dreams come true.

Main Rig: Illya V2, the Tiny Titan: ||i7 8700k 5GHz @ 1.385v (delidded)|| ||NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE|| ||KrakenZ63|| ||ASRock Z390-Phantom-ITX/ac|| ||Corsair SF750||

2nd Rig: Illya V1, the Air Cooled Prodigy: ||i7 4790k 4.4GHz @ 1.3v|| |NVIDIA RTX 2080 FE|| ||Be Quiet! Dark Rock 2|| ||ASRock Z87-E|| ||SeaSonic G-Series 550w (Carbon Fiber Mod)||

Captain isHypnophobic of the LTT Conglomerate.

Fun names. Makes Linux even better.

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

whatever people will be saying, i like these kernel names, they show that something can be serious but also have humor at the same time.

May the light have your back and your ISO low.

I still think it was stupid to call this the 4.0 version instead of 3.20. There's no big change whatsoever going from 3.18 to 4.0.

Why is SpongeBob the main character when Patrick is the star?

I still think it was stupid to call this the 4.0 version instead of 3.20. There's no big change whatsoever going from 3.18 to 4.0.

same thing with 2.6.39 to 3.0

https://plus.google.com/+LinusTorvalds/posts/jmtzzLiiejc

Waiting for windows to release Windows 10 Fuck off Apple edition

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

I wonder when the android guys will start incorporating this kernel into their builds

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

Game developer, AI researcher, Developing the UOLTT mobile apps

G SIX [My Mac Pro G5 CaseMod Thread]

TIL Linux dosnt take it self seriously

This is amazing.

You're right the iTouch Kids is a much more serious name......so serious you can go to jail for it.

Linus Sebastian said:

The stand is indeed made of metal but I wouldn't drive my car over a bridge made of it.

https://youtu.be/X5YXWqhL9ik?t=552

Next one : Linux 4.20 codename "Blaze it"

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

Next one should be Linux Nemoy

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs