As Republicans Concede, F.C.C. Is Expected to Enforce Net Neutrality

25net-pic-articleLarge.jpg

Senator John Thune, Republican of South Dakota, conceded that Democrats are lining up with President Obama in favor of the F.C.C. position on net neutrality.

It seems like the Republicans who were moving to block/ban/banhammer/sue/litigate themselves out of the net neutrality issue might be starting to back off as they realize just how much support this has, not just in the government but amongst the tech giants of the industry who have more wealth to throw around in Pro-NN lobbying than the Republicans have been getting in anti-NN lobbying. 

Hell, this isn't even a party issue. Something like NN comes down to the best interests of companies and consumers alike, with the exception of the ISPs who are scrambling to figure out how they're going to survive in a world without the ability to price gouge the hell out of everyone and everything that so much as plugs into a 56K modem. 

“We’re not going to get a signed bill that doesn’t have Democrats’ support,” he said, explaining that Democrats have insisted on waiting until after Thursday’s F.C.C. vote before even beginning to talk.

“I told Democrats, Yes, you can wait until the 26th, but you’re going to lose the critical mass I think that’s necessary to come up with a legislative alternative once the F.C.C. acts,” he said.

On Feb. 5, the Mozilla Foundation, makers of the popular Firefox web browser, posted a pro-net neutrality banner just below its search window, proclaiming, “In just a few days, the web could change forever,” and imploring users to sign the firm’s petition; close to 300,000 have signed, said Dave Steer, Mozilla’s director for advocacy, who has helped mobilize Silicon Valley for Net Neutrality.

“This is not East Coast-West Coast thing. It’s not a for-profit company versus nonprofit thing. It’s all of us,” he proclaimed. “We came together under the banner of Team Internet.” Republicans who had branded net neutrality “Obamacare for the Internet” have grown much quieter under the barrage.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/02/25/technology/path-clears-for-net-neutrality-ahead-of-fcc-vote.html?emc=edit_na_20150224&nlid=50762010

If not for certain companies backing NN it most likely wouldn't happen.

"Obamacare for the internet" I had never actually heard that before. Please tell me there is a video with a congress person saying that...

The Internet is the first thing that humanity has built that humanity doesn't understand, the largest experiment in anarchy that we have ever had.

I think it was mentioned in an infographic somewhere that support and opposition towards Net Neutrality crossed party lines, with the demarcation line being the amount of information that the politician had and the politician's age (Younger politicians were always likely going to be friendly to Net Neutrality in some form).

We all need a daily check-up from the neck up to avoid stinkin' thinkin' which ultimately leads to the hardening of attitudes. - Zig Ziglar

The sad fact about atheists is that they stand for nothing while standing against things that have brought much good to the world. Now ain't that sad. - Anonymous

Replace fear with faith and fear will disappear. - Billy Cox  ......................................Also, Legalism, Education-bred Arrogance and Hubris-based Assumption are BULLSHIT.

If not for certain companies backing NN it most likely wouldn't happen.

"Obamacare for the internet" I had never actually heard that before. Please tell me there is a video with a congress person saying that...

Rafael (Ted) Cruz (born in Canada) of Texas (one of two senators) said it.

I agree with Dave Steer. this is not a Rep vs dem; east coast vs west coast; pespi vs coke  sort of issue.

I still die a little inside every time I read "obamacare for the internet". I cant wait for the current generation that runs this country to die off and people who actually know what the internet and technology is to start taking over.

I find it absolutely appalling that the party that suggest the idea is more important then the idea its self. This is why party politics is so broken, you have large block of people agreeing to support certain things and any good individual ideas get obscured and lost 

My only problem with this is that the Government screws up everything they touch, and we all suffer for it.

Healthcare-Broken

VA hospitals-Broken

USPS- Broken

Privacy-Broken

2nd Amendment - hanging by a thread

Now they want our internet? I fail to see the bright side of this. I fail to to see the intelligence in giving the government anymore control over anything when they have proven, time and time again, that they can't handle whats already in front of them.

My only problem with this is that the Government screws up everything they touch, and we all suffer for it.

Healthcare-Broken

VA hospitals-Broken

USPS- Broken

Privacy-Broken

Now they want our internet? I fail to see the bright side of this. I fail to to see the intelligence in giving the government anymore control over anything when they have proven, time and time again, that they can't handle whats already in front of them.

The Usps is a funny story on that one there, Because they are part of the goverment(sorta, wierd how it works) they cant plan on making a profit. they just are not allowed. now try to manage one of the largest empoylers and businnesses in the US, and plan to land on a exact amount. good luck with that.

That, and other agency "burrow" money from the USPS. and guess who has to pre fund retirements? usps. so they are just getting screwed over. and if you want to get political, it was the republicans that where using all that to try and get rid of them. 

for NN, its to keep it how it is now. you should be proud because its going against the ISP monopolies. They are trying to help you so you dont get screwed over. 

The Usps is a funny story on that one there, Because they are part of the goverment(sorta, wierd how it works) they cant plan on making a profit. they just are not allowed. now try to manage one of the largest empoylers and businnesses in the US, and plan to land on a exact amount. good luck with that.

That, and other agency "burrow" money from the USPS. and guess who has to pre fund retirements? usps. so they are just getting screwed over. and if you want to get political, it was the republicans that where using all that to try and get rid of them. 

for NN, its to keep it how it is now. you should be proud because its going against the ISP monopolies. They are trying to help you so you dont get screwed over. 

If I was making it political I would have named parties - I didn't. You pick out ONE example, but didn't disprove it. I'm not saying NN is a bad idea. I'm saying the government should straighten out what they already screwed up before they try to tackle anything else.

I also fail to see why republicans are backing down when they control both houses.

If I was making it political I would have named parties - I didn't. You pick out ONE example, but didn't disprove it. I'm not saying NN is a bad idea. I'm saying the government should straighten out what they already screwed up before they try to tackle anything else.

I also fail to see why republicans are backing down when they control both houses.

didnt disprove it because I didnt plan on arguing, You know, it is possible to agree with someone, Just thought I should spread some Info, because most people dont know

Like most people dont know USPS biggest customer is UPS. 

I agree they should work on what they already started, but that shouldn't stop any future progress either. 

I thought Obama can still veto stuff... ?

The 2nd ammendment is not hanging by a thread. Only a far right extremist could believe otherwise. The 2nd ammendment could only be destroyed by destroying America itself.

I'm sorry but this made me LOL.  let me know when you can stop buying guns. that's when I would say its "hanging by a thread"

Here in Colorado I can still get fully automatic weapons. this is the state that has had some of the worst shootings in recent history (Columbine and that aurora theater shooting). I don't see that as hanging by a thread.

like Takata said(I got ninjaed). the only way 2nd amendment went away is if America went away.

Welcome our new Chinese overlords! lol

We can purchase full-auto weapons here? I assume with a licence, right?

But I digress. I've been rather pessimistic on the idea that Net Neutrality was going to go through. Maybe it was a similar pessimistic bias from news sources that made me think that way, but I seriously didn't think it was going to happen. Color me shocked that it seems to be a sure shot at this point. I don't expect instant results and there's still going to be battles to fight, but the idea that we might have actually won this one is such a huge boon it's almost tear-jerking.

I'm a very liberation kinda guy, I don't prefer government regulation, but when the government becomes the lesser of two evils, there's an issue.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

I thought Obama can still veto stuff... ?

The 2nd ammendment is not hanging by a thread. Only a far right extremist could believe otherwise. The 2nd ammendment could only be destroyed by destroying America itself.

His veto can be overturned. To pass a bill over the president's objections requires a two-thirds vote in each Chamber. Historically, Congress has overridden fewer than ten percent of all presidential vetoes ~ senate.gov.

About 2nd Amendment - they consistently try to pass bills to ban which guns and ammo can be sold and/or purchased.

But now we're getting off topic, so please turn conversation back to net neutrality.

I think its completely irresponsible to think we can trust the current Administration who has lied to us at every turn, made such sweeping promises and delivered 0 of them, or worse yet, did the exact opposite of what we trusted them to do. Giving them control over anything is the wrong answer. If they promise "No heavy handed regulation", then get ready for heavy handed regulations. If they say it won't cost us much more in taxes, we need to be prepared to be homeless.

His veto can be overturned. To pass a bill over the president's objections requires a two-thirds vote in each Chamber. Historically, Congress has overridden fewer than ten percent of all presidential vetoes ~ senate.gov.

But the fact is, they don't have a 2/3 majority right now, so the vetoes will stand. They're probably backing down because there's no point in ramming through legislation if they know it will fail at the final hurdle.

Healthcare-Broken

VA hospitals-Broken

USPS- Broken

Privacy-Broken

this is diffrent, the FCC is basically putting the ISP back under title 2 as common carriers something they ALREADY were due to the 1996 telecommunications act but were taken off after 2002 when they were reclassifed as "service providers".

I strongly suggest that people read up on the history of net nutrality, its not just a recent political policy but a concept that has existed since the internet first went public.

Desktop:ryzen 5 3600 | MSI b45m bazooka | EVGA 650w Icoolermaster masterbox nr400 |16 gb ddr4  corsiar lpx| Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1070ti |500GB SSD+2TB SSHD, 2tb seagate barracuda [OS/games/mass storage] | HpZR240w 1440p led logitech g502 proteus spectrum| Coolermaster quick fire pro cherry mx  brown |

This is really great to hear. Hopefully we will be hearing even better news soon.

I identify as a Independent, I think both sides can have good arguments/ideologies, but this should not be a party issue, this is a company vs. the people issue and it needs to get fixed.

Healthcare-Broken

VA hospitals-Broken

USPS- Broken

Privacy-Broken

the government wont be controlling the internet anymore than they already are after net neutrality. they are just going to set some rules saying the ISPs cant screw you over 

I agree with Dave Steer. this is not a Rep vs dem; east coast vs west coast; pespi vs coke  sort of issue.

I still die a little inside every time I read "obamacare for the internet". I cant wait for the current generation that runs this country to die off and people who actually know what the internet and technology is to start taking over.

I cannot agree with this any more.

I hate how people also think all Republicans want the internet to get shit on. It's not all Republicans, it's the shitbags in Congress.

PCPartPicker link: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/R6GTGX

Привет товарищ ))))