4GB or 8GB VRAM for 5400x1920?

KBuckets

Hello everyone!

I am going to be making a 5 monitor Eyefinity setup with five 1080p monitors (5400x1920), and I am wondering which graphics card setup would be best.

My options are (but not limited to):

Two R9 295X2s in Crossfire, for a total of four 4GB 290Xs across two cards (two card scaling)

or

Four 8GB R9 290Xs in Crossfire, but it will be across four cards (four card scaling)

I'm wondering if 4GB will suffice for that resolution, because I don't know how well the scaling will be with four graphics cards.

Thanks!

Don't get 4 GPUs. Scaling isn't that great especially after you add more than 3. At that res get two or three 8gb r9 290x.

4GB should be fine, though id recommend 8gb to be safe.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

#IWant8GB

CPU: R5 5800X3D Motherboard - MSI X570 Gaming Plus RAM - 32GB Corsair DDR4 GPU - XFX 7900 XTX 4GB Case - NZXT H5 Flow (White) Storage - 2X 4TB Samsung 990 Pro PSU - Corsair RM100E Cooling - Corsair H100i Elite Capellix Keyboard Corsair K70 (Brown Switches)  Mouse - Corsair Nightsword RGB

i'd go for 4 cards, only for the fact then you'll have 4 coolers instead of 2 coolers keeping things cold.

The R9 295x2 is infact 2 cards on one board. The only difference between two of those and 4 r9 290x cards is the vram. I would go with three 8gb cards since 4 way scaling is just not what you want.

8. If you run that resolution with 4 and it will probably get maxed out really fast in most modern titles.

I'd wait for the 390X. That resolution will put too much strain on current memory bandwidths.

+1

Spoiler

Samung Tab S 8.4

The R9 295x2 is infact 2 cards on one board. The only difference between two of those and 4 r9 290x cards is the vram. I would go with three 8gb cards since 4 way scaling is just not what you want.

As i recall 295x2 is two 4 gb 290x for a total of 8 gb of vram. As gpu vram doesnt stack it will still be a 4 gb card in reality. You have fallen victim to marketing :P

Two 8gb 290x cards would be the better option.

I'd wait for the 390X. That resolution will put too much strain on current memory bandwidths.

or this :)

What mainboard chipset do you have? If X79 or X99 with the 40 lanes PCIe 3.0 CPU I´d go for a real 4way CF. If you don´t have that go and buy 2 R9 295x2 otherwise you will bottleneck 4 cards. Even though you won´t need a 4way for 5x1080p. This is just a bit more than 4K to drive and 4way isn´t very beneficial in terms of scaling.

Intel i7 7820X (delidded) @ 4.9GHz - MSI X299 M7 ACK + EKWB Fullcover Block - G.Skill Trident Z 32GB @ 3466MHz - nVidia Titan Xp + EKWB Fullcover Block @ 2.1GHz - Samsung 960Pro 2x - WDD Blue 2TB - Seasonic 750W Platinum - modded Corsair 600C - Hardtubed Custom Watercooling

Wait for the 390X to debut

My arsenal: i7-9700k Gaming Rig, an iPhone, and Stupidity.

Hello everyone!

I am going to be making a 5 monitor Eyefinity setup with five 1080p monitors (5400x1920), and I am wondering which graphics card setup would be best.

may I ask what you want to do with that setup?

16:9 screens in pivot are kinda akward.

Mini-Desktop: NCASE M1 Build Log
Mini-Server: M350 Build Log

Two R9 295X2s in Crossfire, for a total of four 4GB 290Xs across two cards (two card scaling)

That's not how it works. It doesnt matter how many cards are in your system. What matters is the number of GPU cores, and you still have 4 whether you use four 290xs or two 295x2s

The scaling is the same

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

What mainboard chipset do you have? If X79 or X99 with the 40 lanes PCIe 3.0 CPU I´d go for a real 4way CF. If you don´t have that go and buy 2 R9 295x2 otherwise you will bottleneck 4 cards. Even though you won´t need a 4way for 5x1080p. This is just a bit more than 4K to drive and 4way isn´t very beneficial in terms of scaling.

I've only got Z97 actually

may I ask what you want to do with that setup?

16:9 screens in pivot are kinda akward.

Mostly gaming with this setup and extreme productivity haha

That's not how it works. It doesnt matter how many cards are in your system. What matters is the number of GPU cores, and you still have 4 whether you use four 290xs or two 295x2s

The scaling is the same

This, crossfire scales the same wether gpus are on the same card or not. For high resolutions, I'd wait for the 300 series from AMD.

So sounds like 4-way scaling really isn't great, but I should have 8GB of VRAM.

Should I wait for the 390X and then an 8GB version or should I just go with three 8GB 290Xs?

8gb. 4gb is good for 4k iirc but I'm pretty sure it's not enough for 8k if you're gaming

Hello everyone!

My options are (but not limited to):

or

Four 8GB R9 290Xs in Crossfire, but it will be across four cards (four card scaling)

I'm wondering if 4GB will suffice for that resolution, because I don't know how well the scaling will be with four graphics cards.

Thanks!

2x 295X2s would also suffer from 4-way scaling since each 295X2 is a crossfire setup. Go with whatever is cheapest. I think 3x R9 290X would do fine, not many games scale well with a fourth GPU.

Intel i5-4690K @ 3.8GHz || Gigabyte Z97X-SLI || 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws X 1600MHz || Asus GTX 760 2GB @ 1150 / 6400 || 128GB A-Data SX900 + 1TB Toshiba 7200RPM || Corsair RM650 || Fractal 3500W

good luck running anything more than two R9 290X in the same case buddy ;)

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR