4GB or 8GB VRAM for 5400x1920?

KBuckets

That resolution will put too much strain on current memory bandwidths.

It really won't, and bandwidth is heavily increased (nearly doubled) in multiGPU configurations.

8gb. 4gb is good for 4k iirc but I'm pretty sure it's not enough for 8k if you're gaming

4GB is good for games that aren't vRAM hogs at any res. Crap that devours 4GB at 1080p could probably use 6 or more at 4K because of serious uncompressed textures + number of pixels, so no. 4GB isn't "good" for 4K the way games are going.

I have finally moved to a desktop. Also my guides are outdated as hell.

THE INFORMATION GUIDES: SLI INFORMATION || vRAM INFORMATION || MOBILE i7 CPU INFORMATION || Maybe more someday

I've only got Z97 actually

Mostly gaming with this setup and extreme productivity haha

You can forget about 4way with Z97. The PCIe bandwith isn´t enough.

My honest opinion? Wait for the R9 390X and get a 2way CF going. Next time you should plan ahead and buy X99 or so ;).

Intel i7 7820X (delidded) @ 4.9GHz - MSI X299 M7 ACK + EKWB Fullcover Block - G.Skill Trident Z 32GB @ 3466MHz - nVidia Titan Xp + EKWB Fullcover Block @ 2.1GHz - Samsung 960Pro 2x - WDD Blue 2TB - Seasonic 750W Platinum - modded Corsair 600C - Hardtubed Custom Watercooling

i'd go for 4 cards, only for the fact then you'll have 4 coolers instead of 2 coolers keeping things cold.

adding cards will never decrease temps when u have 4 gpus packed against each other all you are doing is adding more heat

It really won't, and bandwidth is heavily increased (nearly doubled) in multiGPU configurations.

No it isn't. Just like you can't add up VRAM, you can't add up bandwidth. Because both cards have to transfer the same amount of data between the GPU.

They don't split the data. Meaning you can't (not with current API's) add VRAM or bandwidth in multi-GPU situations.

good luck running anything more than two R9 290X in the same case buddy ;)

watercooling loop m80 

adding cards will never decrease temps when u have 4 gpus packed against each other all you are doing is adding more heat

depends on the coolers and space between the cards. the heat in both cases is the same: 4 GPUs. *if* you can space the cards out, and guide in enough fresh air, this would be better.

friends also noted me the dual-gpu ones have built in watercooling, this would actually be better. (me and my terrible brain always forget the R9 295x has the watercooling going on)

Anyone know how to connect 5 screens to a card that only has 4 video outputs or would it work to connect the 5 monitors to different cards?

8 GB option. First one will give you 4 GB of effective VRAM, 2nd one will give you 8 GB. A single R9 290X does not benefit from 8 GB of VRAM, neither do 2 of them in Crossfire. 3 of them however will benefit greatly.

Are you sure you want 4 though? The scaling is already hard at 3 GPU setup. 4th GPU is almost wasted.

Anyone know how to connect 5 screens to a card that only has 4 video outputs or would it work to connect the 5 monitors to different cards?

I dont know about the video outputs but the 7990 had 6x(mini)display ports, i could imagine the 295x2 having the same. You could i believe daisy chain with display port aswell.

My Rig: AMD Ryzen 5800x3D | Scythe Fuma 2 | RX6600XT Red Devil | B550M Steel Legend | Fury Renegade 32GB 3600MTs | 980 Pro Gen4 - RAID0 - Kingston A400 480GB x2 RAID1 - Seagate Barracuda 1TB x2 | Fractal Design Integra M 650W | InWin 103 | Mic. - SM57 | Headphones - Sony MDR-1A | Keyboard - Roccat Vulcan 100 AIMO | Mouse - Steelseries Rival 310 | Monitor - Dell S3422DWG

You will need to use DisplayPort daisy-chaining with capable monitors. In CrossFire the outputs on secondary cards are disabled. What monitors were you planning on using?

You will need to use DisplayPort daisy-chaining with capable monitors. In CrossFire the outputs on secondary cards are disabled. What monitors were you planning on using?

Asus VN247H-P http://www.asus.com/us/Monitors_Projectors/VN247HP/overview/

I do not think it has DisplayPort

I am leaning towards three 8GB 290Xs but there aren't any 8GB versions with 5 display out ports :/

Asus VN247H-P http://www.asus.com/us/Monitors_Projectors/VN247HP/overview/

I do not think it has DisplayPort

I am leaning towards three 8GB 290Xs but there aren't any 8GB versions with 5 display out ports :/

You will need something with DisplayPort. Most graphics cards' DVI/HDMI controllers won't support more than two displays, which includes DisplayPort to DVI/HDMI cables (when using those, the DisplayPort controller just hands it off to the DVI/HDMI controller, so that doesn't help anything). You also will want monitors with an IPS panel, especially with portrait orientation multi-monitors, as TN is very weak with vertical viewing angles, which will become your horizontal angles. When you're looking head-on you'll be ok, but with multi-monitors, it will most likely cause some problems.

With DisplayPort daisy-chaining you can run up to 4 1080p monitors from a single DisplayPort output on your graphics card, the fifth display can just be run via HDMI or DVI. I'd suggest maybe looking into the Dell U2415 (1920x1200) or the U2414H (1080p) although I have heard of people having some issues with daisy-chaining on the U2414H where the monitors don't wake up properly when you put the PC to sleep. I haven't experienced that on either of mine though.

I think waiting for the 300 series might be the way to go though honestly.

Also, that monitor you selected has a pretty thick bezel. I'd go with the model with the thinnest bezel first, rather than specs.

Something like a Dell U2414H.

But the position you place them in still leaves the bottom bezel. In reality, I don't see the appeal of this setup because of those 4 segments you create in the image. Why not just buy a big curved 4K monitor/TV whenever a good one releases.

You will need something with DisplayPort. Most graphics cards' DVI/HDMI controllers won't support more than two displays, which includes DisplayPort to DVI/HDMI cables (when using those, the DisplayPort controller just hands it off to the DVI/HDMI controller, so that doesn't help anything). You also will want monitors with an IPS panel, especially with portrait orientation multi-monitors, as TN is very weak with vertical viewing angles, which will become your horizontal angles. When you're looking head-on you'll be ok, but with multi-monitors, it will most likely cause some problems.

With DisplayPort daisy-chaining you can run up to 4 1080p monitors from a single DisplayPort output on your graphics card, the fifth display can just be run via HDMI or DVI. I'd suggest maybe looking into the Dell U2415 (1920x1200) or the U2414H (1080p) although I have heard of people having some issues with daisy-chaining on the U2414H where the monitors don't wake up properly when you put the PC to sleep. I haven't experienced that on either of mine though.

I think waiting for the 300 series might be the way to go though honestly.

Display-port daisy-chaining sounds like a good idea! That Dell U2414 looks really darn nice! I think waiting for an 8GB 390X would be a good idea and then get three of those :D

Thank you for all of that info!

Also, that monitor you selected has a pretty thick bezel. I'd go with the model with the thinnest bezel first, rather than specs.

Something like a Dell U2414H.

But the position you place them in still leaves the bottom bezel. In reality, I don't see the appeal of this setup because of those 4 segments you create in the image. Why not just buy a big curved 4K monitor/TV whenever a good one releases.

Thanks for the suggestion! I like that monitor a lot more. What I might just end up doing is a 6-monitor setup, daisy-chain displays, and turn the top row of monitors upside-down to keep the thicker bezels on the top and bottom.

2 or 3 8GB 290Xs. Or wait for 300 series. Thats coming really soon hopefully.

Part of the Q6600 club

depends on the coolers and space between the cards. the heat in both cases is the same: 4 GPUs. *if* you can space the cards out, and guide in enough fresh air, this would be better.

friends also noted me the dual-gpu ones have built in watercooling, this would actually be better. (me and my terrible brain always forget the R9 295x has the watercooling going on)

I've never seen a mobo big enough to space out 4 cards xD