Not getting the performance out of SLi that I would expect, could use some help.

kendirect
Go to solution Solved by Suika,

So I just spoke with Microcenter, and they're willing to do a refund for my GTX 970 and Sabertooth Mobo. That would be enough to get an ASUS Sabertooth Z87 (1150) and an Intel 4790k. Would going down to 1 GPU but upping to this CPU be the best bet?  Would the potential FPS gain be high enough to support this course of action?

Before you do that, look over loads with a single GPU to determine how much of a bottleneck you're getting in games. A straight upgrade to an i5 isn't always worth it with a single card.

In any situation, if you aren't getting 95+% GPU usage, you're likely to have a GPU bottleneck. If you're seeing 60% GPU usage, then it will be worth it to get the i7. If you get 90-95%, the performance increase might not be worth it until you can afford to keep SLI and the get the i7.

Most people on this forum are under 18...

There's a certain stigma to being correct by somebody significantly younger than you. I've argued with several different people in their 40s about the FX-8350 and i5-4690k, they discredit me because I'm only 19. Even if I lay forth all of the proof in the world, they win by default due to the fact that, "they've been dealing with PCs for years."

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

sure you haven't got any kind of v-sync enabled? and try overclocking atleast 1 core on your cpu

OPERATION BUNNYGAMER: 

PC:

case: inwin GRone black   PSU: corsair RM750   mobo: MSI Z87-G45 gaming   CPU: i5 4670K @4,0GHz  CPU-cooler: corsair H100i   RAM: corsair vengeance pro 2x8GB 1866MHz CL9   GPU: 2x MSI n770 TF 2GD5/OC @1,300/3,760GHz   SSD: samsung 840 EVO 120GB (S.M.A.R.T enabled)   HDD: 2x WD green 2TB (going RAID 0 next win-install)   CD: asus DRW-24F1ST    OS: windows 8.1   monitor: asus VN247H & dell 1703FP  additional cooling: 2x140mm inwin fans, 3x140mm inwin red led fans, 4x140mm bitfenix spectre pro red led fans, 2x120mm stock h100i fans, 2x120mm corsair sp120 red led  
  OTHER: 
mouse: madcatz M.M.O 7   keyboard: madcatz S.T.R.I.K.E 7 & logitech G13   headset: razer tiamat 7.1 elite   speakers: logitech Z906 5.1 surround   gadgets: USB fridge  :P

There's a certain stigma to being correct by somebody significantly younger than you. I've argued with several different people in their 40s about the FX-8350 and i5-4690k, they discredit me because I'm only 19. Even if I lay forth all of the proof in the world, they win by default due to the fact that, "they've been dealing with PCs for years."

I've had the same problem with programming. Older people who knew outdated/just plain stupid stuff always looked down on me when trying to correct them and people who actually knew what they were talking about never looked down on me (however I rarely had to correct those people.). Now I'm 22 and can counter their BS with another BS - that I work in a big elite company, so they can't tell me shit, which is ignorant as well, but it's not as if I could change their opinions on the first place. Might not be the best approach but it works.

In conclusion, ignorant people be ignorant.

OP did look down on that person when he was actually correct from the beginning.

CPU: Ryzen 3 3600 | GPU: Gigabite GTX 1660 super | Motherboard: MSI Mortar MAX | RAM: G Skill Trident Z 3200 (2x8GB) | Case: Cooler Master Q300L | Storage: Samsung 970 EVO 250G + Samsung 860 Evo 1TB | PSU: Corsair RM650x | Displays: LG 27'' G-Sync compatible 144hz 1080p | Cooling: NH U12S black | Keyboard: Logitech G512 carbon | Mouse: Logitech g900 

I'm not interested in the age of a poster. If they're being rude, they're being rude. If they're being helpful, they're being helpful.

Good thread - good information.

I've had the same problem with programming. Older people who knew outdated/just plain stupid stuff always looked down on me when trying to correct them and people who actually knew what they were talking about never looked down on me (however I rarely had to correct those people.). Now I'm 22 and can counter their BS with another BS - that I work in a big elite company, so they can't tell me shit, which is ignorant as well, but it's not as if I could change their opinions on the first place. Might not be the best approach but it works.

In conclusion, ignorant people be ignorant.

OP did look down on that person when he was actually correct from the beginning.

The kid was being rude and uninsightful, correct or not.

Get your nose out of his ass and deal with it.

This right here is the childish attitude I try and get past in these forums.

When you're not 19 you'll probably understand why that 40 year old talks to you that way.

I'm only 30, and I don't know a lot about things like OC CPUs and GPUs, but I know a decent amount about hardware and architecture because I listen and learn.  You can see in the first page when I was talking to the kid I said he may be right, and I don't know enough to discuss it with him.  It was his manor of addressing the situation without posting any information like you or other have that made me set him aside.  That is what is generally what kids on forums do, I've been posting on forums since I was around 13 so I have done it to.  You just know you're right so you don't post any information at all and then scoff when people ask you for info.  It's a middle age teenager thing to do, and not all do it -but most do.  We all have.

The kid was being rude and uninsightful, correct or not.

Get your nose out of his ass and deal with it.

Since you were already given the information that you needed, this topic should be closed and the mini shitstorm - prevented.

CPU: Ryzen 3 3600 | GPU: Gigabite GTX 1660 super | Motherboard: MSI Mortar MAX | RAM: G Skill Trident Z 3200 (2x8GB) | Case: Cooler Master Q300L | Storage: Samsung 970 EVO 250G + Samsung 860 Evo 1TB | PSU: Corsair RM650x | Displays: LG 27'' G-Sync compatible 144hz 1080p | Cooling: NH U12S black | Keyboard: Logitech G512 carbon | Mouse: Logitech g900 

This right here is the childish attitude I try and get past in these forums.

When you're not 19 you'll probably understand why that 40 year old talks to you that way.

I'm only 30, and I don't know a lot about things like OC CPUs and GPUs, but I know a decent amount about hardware and architecture because I listen and learn.  You can see in the first page when I was talking to the kid I said he may be right, and I don't know enough to discuss it with him.  It was his manor of addressing the situation without posting any information like you or other have that made me set him aside.  That is what is generally what kids on forums do, I've been posting on forums since I was around 13 so I have done it to.  You just know you're right so you don't post any information at all and then scoff when people ask you for info.  It's a middle age teenager thing to do, and not all do it -but most do.  We all have.

I have so much to say to you but @msvelev is right. This topic should be closed. 

So i'd summarize it for you.

Please do not use this attitude when asking for help in the future alright? Judging by your attitude I would have never guessed

that you were 30. The reason you were getting such replies is because almost everyone knows that FX processors aren't as good

intel i processors for gaming.

I'd figure no one has said this to you but... Welcome to LTT :> 

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

I think the way things were worded caused an unecessary amount of cognitive dissonance. I don't think age really plays a huge factor when dealing with cognitive biases. I've seen people way older or younger than me fall for this. It's unfortunate, but inevitable when someone hears something this unexpected. He will try to rationalize, which causes frustration.

Bottomline, if it hasn't already been established;

The 8350 is lacking for even one 970. Two 970's is just asking for trouble.

Check my sig.

I have so much to say to you but @msvelev is right. This topic should be closed. 

So i'd summarize it for you.

Please do not use this attitude when asking for help in the future alright? Judging by your attitude I would have never guessed

that you were 30. The reason you were getting such replies is because almost everyone knows that FX processors aren't as good

intel i processors for gaming.

I'd figure no one has said this to you but... Welcome to LTT :> 

You have absolutely 0 knowledge of the situation so don't try and comment like you do.

This is the childish attitude I'm talking about, gotta get the last word in!

"This topic should be closed. "

Then you proceed to further instigate.

Grow up.

I think the way things were worded caused an unecessary amount of cognitive dissonance. I don't think age really plays a huge factor when dealing with cognitive biases. I've seen people way older or younger than me fall for this. It's unfortunate, but inevitable when someone hears something this unexpected. He will try to rationalize, which causes frustration.

Bottomline, if it hasn't already been established;

The 8350 is lacking for even one 970. Two 970's is just asking for trouble.

Check my sig.

God you fucks haven't read a thing.  I think I'll just leave this forum now.  It's clearly full of big headed morons.

God you fucks haven't read a thing.  I think I'll just leave this forum now.  It's clearly full of big headed morons.

wheter you like it or not the AMD FX is indeed a pretty bad cpu when it comes to gaming, here i'll demonstrate you how and why, please take your time to look at those 4 graphs, they tell you ALL there is to know, just look at those numbers:

http--www.gamegpu.ru-images-stories-Test

uDDJvQB.png

Now there you have it...the E8400 and Q9650 where intel cpu's released in Q1 2008...both of these old CPU's have better per core performance than AMD FX and this is very important for gaming.

As shown in both Gaming graphs, even when all core are in use (see load distribution graph for ACU) the AMD FX still fall significantly behind even a core i3 haswell in most games...why?

Because when it comes to gaming you can only be as fast as your fastest CPU processing core...and AMD's fastest core is really not that fast...and even if you have 800$ worth of gaming GPU in there you won't be any faster than your fastest processing core, and if it wasn't the case you wouldn't be here complaining.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

With that attitude, yes please do. If you're seriously advocating that the 8350 is perfectly fine for dual 970's you're ignorant.

Coupled with needless swearing and pompous attitude and i'd say good riddance. Got enough of your kind on forums already.

You are just like me!

Lets all ripperoni in pepperoni

You're complaining about an attitude issue, and then talk like that. Thank you for leaving.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

I'm sorry, I don't want to be condescending, but this is going to sound so... because it is - I'll wait for someone older than 16 to help me out. I'm not trying to be rude, I'd just rather someone with experience to help.

Please many people here have experience and everyone was sixteen at one time. Don't judge knowledge of any subject based on age.

You have absolutely 0 knowledge of the situation so don't try and comment like you do.

This is the childish attitude I'm talking about, gotta get the last word in!

"This topic should be closed. "

Then you proceed to further instigate.

Grow up.

Sobs ;_;

Welcome to LTT.... ;_;

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

OMG, just wow. I can't believe the GPU usage with 2 GTX 970s running with an FX 8350. I had an average of 71% GPU usage with an E8500 and a single overclocked GTX 970, with a Core 2 Quad clocked so its single core speed matches the E8500's it should bottleneck less.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Most people on this forum are under 18...

Hopefully not. luckily most kids can't afford a custom watercooling loop so that part of the forum is safe at least.

Welp

Hopefully not. luckily most kids can't afford a custom watercooling loop so that part of the forum is safe at least.

I might get into custom loops after my April bonus :)

Looks pretty awesome.

You seem like one. A stubborn shit. Listen to people, they have far more experience than u

Lets all ripperoni in pepperoni