Pretty nifty "universal" cable on kickstarter

So I just came across this cable project on kickstarter.

Its called the TOB cable and the idea is that this one single cable can replace all cables. The cable itself is made from "heavy gauge copper wires and an optical fiber" and then the ends of the cable are totally removable and interchangeable. I would assume that the ends would have to have some sort of chip on the that would do the processing of the data, converting it from electrical to optical and then back to electrical. This reminds me of the 3.Optical cable that was reviewed by the gang a few months ago.

The idea seems pretty cool to me and I am seriously contemplating backing it.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/janulus/tob-cable-one-cable-for-everything

EDIT: fellow forum member @Rafy has written up a nice article about it, and also had a chance to speak with the creator of the project to clarify how the fast charging works. That article can be foind here: http://engineeringlikesdesign.com/2015/02/21/tob-kickstarter/

When in doubt, re-format.

Guess I forgot to mention, what makes this universal is that the ends that can be attached range from USB, HDMI, audio, lightning and many more to come in the future with even the possibility of laptop chargers due to the "heavy gauge copper"

#make everything wireless

But Sweet Cable 

''just one cable''   and a doezen of easy to loose connectors

60$ is still too much.

~New~  BoomBerryPi project !  ~New~

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

Warning: Impossible to use when headbanging.

I just buy micro usb cable for one pound and have a micro to lightning converter. You can buy 50x1m micro usb cables and 2x converters for the price of that cable. It will out survive the kickstarter cable, not to mention that they use a unique converter plug which means it will cost you more if something breaks...

EVGA SR-2 / 2x Intel Xeon X5675 4.4Ghz OC / 24GB EEC 1800Mhz OC/ AMD RX570 / Enermax Evoliution 1050W / Main RAID 0: 2x256GB 840EVO SSD / BackUp(1) Raid 5: 3x2TB WD HDD / BackUp(2) 8x2TB / Dell U2412M / Dell U2312HM

the cable ends are a little too bulky for me.

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

They should go on Shark Tank (luv that show to death)

CPU: i7 4790k Mobo: Gigabyte GA Z97X Gaming 5 Cooler: Corsair H80i GPU:Reference GTX 970 SSD: Crucial MX100 HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB PSU: Corsair CS750M Gold 80+ RAM: A-Data XPG V3 8GB OS: Windows 8.1 Case: NZXT H440 Razer Edition Mouse: Razer Deathadder 2013 Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Ultimate Chroma Headset: Razer Kraken Pro 7.1 Surround Sound

Extra 970 for SLI, another SSD

#make everything wireless

But Sweet Cable 

#Input lag is a thing

HTID

#Input lag is a thing

I have A Dream,

One Day The Wireless lag,

will be so minimal ,

that it is irrelevant. 

ehh...i'll just keep using my apple build lightning connection.

Main Rig "Rocinante" - Ryzen 9 5900X, EVGA FTW3 RTX 3080 Ultra Gaming, 32GB 3600MHz DDR4

ehh...i'll just keep using my apple build lightning connection.

Call me back when it breaks

"My game vs my brains, who gets more fatal errors?" ~ Camper125Lv, GMC Jam #15

Call me back when it breaks

At least when that cable breaks or I lose it, I will pay like 5 bucks to get a new one, not 60...

MacBook Pro 15' 2018 (Pretty much the only system I use)

I quite like that idea, great to stick in a kit bag

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

At least when that cable breaks or I lose it, I will pay like 5 bucks to get a new one, not 60...

Lol, more like about 25 bucks...

i wonder how its ment to charge faster than a 'standard' cable

Andriods (AFAIK) charge faster on PC's than Macs and the opposite is (definitely) true for iPhones. You can get cables that aim to rectify that issue, as for HOW? Only Santa Claus knows.

I actually like the concept of this kickstarter, it has also smashed passed its goal of $20,000

I3MOcNY.png

The only downside I see is loosing the connectors and replacements maybe costly.

Ryze of the Phoenix: 
CPU:      AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @ 4.15GHz
Ram:      64GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 @ 3200Mhz (Samsung B-Die & Nanya Technology)
GPU:      MSI RTX 3060 12GB Aero ITX
Storage: Crucial P3 1TB NVMe Gen 4 SSD, 1TB Crucial MX500, Spinning Rust (7TB Internal, 16TB External - All in-use),
PSU:      Cooler Master MWE Gold 750w V2 PSU (Thanks LTT PSU Tier List)
Cooler:   BeQuite! Prue Rock 2 Black Edition
Case:     ThermalTake Versa J22 TG

Passmark 10 Score: 6096.4         CPU-z Score: 4189 MT         Unigine Valley (DX11 @1080p Ultra): 5145         CryEngine Neon Noir (1080p Ultra): 9579

Audio Setup:                  Scarlett 2i2, AudioTechnica AT2020 XLR, Mackie CR3 Monitors, Sennheiser HD559 headphones, HyperX Cloud II Headset, KZ ES4 IEM (Cyan)

Laptop:                            MacBook Pro 2017 (Intel i5 7360U, 8GB DDR3, 128GB SSD, 2x Thunderbolt 3 Ports - No Touch Bar) Catalina & Boot Camp Win10 Pro

Primary Phone:               Xiaomi Mi 11T Pro 5G 256GB (Snapdragon 888)

That hdmi connector looks way too big to be useful.

And I also want cables at different lengths and I might need to charge my phone at the same time I want to listen to music.

That and the fact that you can probably buy all of those cables for the same prices as this one make this solution inefficient in my opinion.

Lol, more like about 25 bucks...

They are 20, and I have never lost one :P

Main Rig "Rocinante" - Ryzen 9 5900X, EVGA FTW3 RTX 3080 Ultra Gaming, 32GB 3600MHz DDR4

They are 20, and I have never lost one :P

I broke 1 iPod charger, 1 Macbook charger and I have one iPad charger that's on its last legs :/

Guys I figured out how the faster charging works. I spoke with the CEO to understand how they managed to do it for my article and thought you might be interested in it:

The TOB cable can disable the sync/data transfer lines. When this happens USB goes to charge only mode and increases the Amperage output and charges the phone faster. TOB cable is made using heavy gauge wires that can handle the higher current. Often times standard cables use wires that can’t handle higher charging speeds even if you disable syncing while charging.

@pwn_intended if you want to include this in the OP shoot me a PM and I'll send you the link to my site. I am not sure if I can link to my own content so I want to avoid that.