GTX 970 but which one?

Stanton
Go to solution Solved by Stanton,

There is your answer :)

Yip thanks everyone for the insight :)

I've been slowly upgrading my rig now its time for a new gpu and i've been looking at the GTX 970 but what one should i go for ASUS? GIGABYTE? EVGA? or MSI? whats going to give me the best GTX 970 can offer or are there other cards i should consider?

Gigabyte G1.

I've been slowly upgrading my rig now its time for a new gpu and i've been looking at the GTX 970 but what one should i go for ASUS? GIGABYTE? EVGA? or MSI? whats going to give me the best GTX 970 can offer or are there other cards i should consider?

I heard the Gigabyte G1 was the best.

Take a look at the AMD R9 290X too :)

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Im getting two asus 970 strix but thats because i got a red n black theme. If you dont care about the color theme then the gigabytes probably better.

Case: Corsair 760T White PSU: Corsair AX1200i Motherboard: Asus Maximus VII Formula CPU: I7-4790k Cooler: Stock Cooler Ram: Corsair Vengeance 16GB 2400mhz GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

I'd go with Gigabyte...

rig: i7 4770k @4.1Ghz (delidded), Corsair Vengeance 8GB 1600Mhz, ROG Maximus VI Hero, Noctua NH-D14, EVGA GTX980SC, Samsung 850 EVO 500GB, Corsair SF600, self-built wooden Case, CoolerMaster QuickFire TK, Logitech G502, Blue Yeti, BenQ GW2760HS

Gigabyte G1, or the MSI one.

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

I've got a green theme but i'll pick performance over theme. so Gigabyte G1 is the best?

Im getting two asus 970 strix but thats because i got a red n black theme. If you dont care about the color theme then the gigabytes probably better.

I went with Asus as MSi was not in stock.

We are happy to inform you that order XXX (or its part) is ready for dispatch.

^_^

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5-4690K | Mobo: MSI Z97 Gaming 3 | RAM: Kingston Savage 4x4GB | GPU: Asus Strix GTX970 | PSU: Seasonic M12II-620 Evo | Storage: MX100 128GB + WD Blue 1TB | Cooling: CM Hyper 212 evo | Case: NZXT H440

I Got MSI and its beautiful, But yeah heard good things on the gigabyte, don't forget EVGA, they very good but also the cheapest I've seen 

Redstone:
i7-4770 / Z97 / GTX 980 / Corsair 16GB  / H90 / 400C / Antec EDGE / Neutron GTX240 / Intel 240Gb / WD 2TB / BenQ XL24

Obsidian:

MSI GE60 2PE i7-4700HQ / 860M / 12GB / WE 1TB / m.Sata 256gb/Elagto USB HD Capture Card

Razer Deathadder Chroma / Razer Blackwidow TE Chroma / Kingston Cloud2's / Sennheiser 429 / Logitech Z333

i can get the MSI for cheaper over the G1

Gigabyte G1, or the MSI one.

That's also the reason why I went for the MSI card. There was a 60 dollar difference between the two when I bought my card. 

Redstone:
i7-4770 / Z97 / GTX 980 / Corsair 16GB  / H90 / 400C / Antec EDGE / Neutron GTX240 / Intel 240Gb / WD 2TB / BenQ XL24

Obsidian:

MSI GE60 2PE i7-4700HQ / 860M / 12GB / WE 1TB / m.Sata 256gb/Elagto USB HD Capture Card

Razer Deathadder Chroma / Razer Blackwidow TE Chroma / Kingston Cloud2's / Sennheiser 429 / Logitech Z333

Yip thanks everyone for the insight :)

Gigabyte G1.

I heard the Gigabyte G1 was the best.

Gigabyte G1...

the gigabytes probably better.

the gigabyte g1 is the best 970

I'd go with Gigabyte...

Gigabyte G1

GIGABYTE G1

There seems to be a bit of a pattern forming here. :D

However, all things being considered, why do so many consider it as being one of the better cards? Higher overclocks, better cooler? There are many reports of coil whine with the G1 and it's certainly not the most inexpensive of the bunch.

Yes, I have one too. I took the windforce x 3 cooler off to watercool it and I haven't overclocked it for more than a benchmark or two and I only play singleplayer games  nowadays. Although, I do play them on a 30" screen at 2560 x 1600. Perhaps I could have done that with any of the GTX970's out there.

I could afford it, at the time, so I went with the G1. However, I'd like to hear of the experiences of those with the more budget concerned cards. Cards such as the Palit GTX970 for example. Good or bad, if you could find the time to do that please?

Cheers

Leigh

Asus Strix GTX 970! Nice looking GPU, backplate, sturdy, and silence.

i have used this and it is a great card and the cooler is perfect, for most games the fans CBA to even spin :)

My rig: 5820k 48Gb DDR4 Gskill Ripjaws, m.2 pcie samsgung 256Gb boot, rampage v extreme x99, 2x asus 980 strix  14.5 Tb other ssds and hdds. Laptop: Lenovo Y510P. Peripherals: G13 /RAT 7 /Corsair K70 RGB/ FLY 5 

There seems to be a bit of a pattern forming here. :D

However, all things being considered, why do so many consider it as being one of the better cards? Higher overclocks, better cooler? There are many reports of coil whine with the G1 and it's certainly not the most inexpensive of the bunch.

Yes, I have one too. I took the windforce x 3 cooler off to watercool it and I haven't overclocked it for more than a benchmark or two and I only play singleplayer games  nowadays. Although, I do play them on a 30" screen at 2560 x 1600. Perhaps I could have done that with any of the GTX970's out there.

I could afford it, at the time, so I went with the G1. However, I'd like to hear of the experiences of those with the more budget concerned cards. Cards such as the Palit GTX970 for example. Good or bad, if you could find the time to do that please?

Cheers

Leigh

Gigabyte is a card that everyone loves, but most people dont buy it because its a pain in the ass to install, wont fit in every case. Its ridiculously long, huge and heavy. Also, has the best display connectivity - 3 DP 2 DVI 1 HDMI. I think its the best GTX 970 out of all, from a pure performance/temperature/features point of view. However, I bought MSI Gaming 4G - because it more silent, has 0db, smaller. Also looks better IMO, but I didn't buy it for looks.

As far as budget choices - GTX 970 is a very cold running chip, so unlike many other GPUs, reference design cards are actually quite usable. Despite blower fan designs - they are really not that loud, and temperatures are never an issue on GTX 970. A friend of mine has a reference MSI 970 - I would put its noise levels somewhere around R9 280 with a good custom cooler under load. Shame it doesnt have 0db on idle.

Get GTX 970: R9 290X Edition

Cuz 4GB means 4GB with AMD.

That wasn't the question. This is an example of why threads around here turn into flame wars and get derailed. If your answer is going to be " Get 290x Bro Lawlz 4gb means 4bg AMD rules derpa derpa" go post it in an AMD related thread.

@OP Gigabyte and MSI seem to OC and perform the best. They have a better power delivery than most of the others. It all depends on what you want to do with the card. Do you plan on OC'ing it?

You can't be serious.  Hyperthreading is a market joke?

That wasn't the question. This is an example of why threads around here turn into flame wars and get derailed. If your answer is going to be " Get 290x Bro Lawlz 4gb means 4bg AMD rules derpa derpa" go post it in an AMD related thread.

@OP Gigabyte and MSI seem to OC and perform the best. They have a better power delivery than most of the others. It all depends on what you want to do with the card. Do you plan on OC'ing it?

Damage controlling for Nvidia ?