How long will i7-4970k last me for gaming?

bydus

I finished building my rig first time in like ever with i7-4970k @ 4.5 and msi 970 and i'm wondering how long will the cpu last me in terms of gaming at 1080 and maybe 1440p at some point. I am planning to change GPU when there is a big change in performance from future released cards but as for CPU I guess thats it before 8core cpus on different socket become standard. Giving the fact that this setup beats ps4 in terms of performance and graphics already can I expect to play future games at 1080 close to max at 60fps in few years time? 

what do you mean by last?

Planned I Hope Someday I Do First Build: CPU: Intel Core i7 5820k CPU Cooler: CM Hyper 212 EVO Mobo: MSI X99S SLI PLUS RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4-2133Mhz Storage: Corsair Force LS 240GB SSD & 2TB WD Green Graphics Card: ASUS GTX 970 4GB Turbo Case: NZXT S340 White PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 750W 80+ OS: Windows 8.1 64-bit OEM Monitor: AOC i2267Fw 60Hz 22" Monitor

Don't bother upgrading for the next 5 years.

PC: 5600x @ 4.85GHz // RTX 3080 Eagle OC // 16GB Trident Z Neo  // Corsair RM750X // MSI B550M Mortar Wi-Fi // Noctua NH-D15S // Cooler Master NR400 // Samsung 50QN90A // Logitech G305 // Corsair K65 // Corsair Virtuoso //

I would say longer than 5 years if nothing bad happens to your rig o..o

Rose's are red violets are blue, without computers I'd know not what to do.

Look at the i7 2600K. That thing is 4 years old and just 10-15% slower than a modern i7 when compared clock to clock.

I'd say the 4790K lasts you for at least 4-5 years. Nobody knows what future developments will bring, but at the moment it doesn't look like more CPU power is needed.

who cares...

The CPU (4790K I assume) will be fine for some time.

Why don't you get a 4690K and change it in 2-3 years for whatever is trending then?

With gaming PCs long investments are never worth it, buy the best price/performance parts and upgrade when there is a noticeable difference on the next generation. Position yourself 2 years ago, would it had been wiser to get the last HD 7970s that were close to the $250 mark, or the 780 that was just coming out at $650? For something like 1080p 60fps? It'd be nuts! With that money you'd be getting a $300 GTX 970 today and still have money available.

If you have the money to spend on this, go ahead, the 4790K is a great CPU, and will likely need a couple years to feel old.

Your set for a long time mate! I dont know why you're even comparing it with a PS4 :P

Does anyone know if the 4790K works with Z87 motherboards?

They will if the motherboards bios have been updated to support Devils Canyon. 

They will if the motherboards bios have been updated to support Devils Canyon. 

Ah, awesome. I always keep my bios updated :D

I finished building my rig first time in like ever with i7-4970k @ 4.5 and msi 970 and i'm wondering how long will the cpu last me in terms of gaming at 1080 and maybe 1440p at some point. I am planning to change GPU when there is a big change in performance from future released cards but as for CPU I guess thats it before 8core cpus on different socket become standard. Giving the fact that this setup beats ps4 in terms of performance and graphics already can I expect to play future games at 1080 close to max at 60fps in few years time? 

It will last you at least another 5 years. I have the 3770K which is also a great cpu.

Love cats and Linus. Check out linuscattips-fan-club. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Z9QDVn and Asus ROG Swift. I love anime as well. Check out Heaven Society heaven-society. My own personal giveaway thread http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/387856-evga-geforce-gtx-970-giveaway-presented-by-grimneo/.

I am still using a 3770K and a 4790K gives barely any performance increase in games. Also, they're very good to overclock so if you need the extra speed in the future just overclock it.

i7 6700K - ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger - Corsair H110i GT CPU Cooler - EVGA GTX 980 Ti ACX2.0+ SC+ - 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000MHz - Samsung 850 EVO 500GB - AX760i - Corsair 450D - XB270HU G-Sync Monitor

i7 3770K - H110 Corsair CPU Cooler - ASUS P8Z77 V-PRO - GTX 980 Reference - 16GB HyperX Beast 1600MHz - Intel 240GB SSD - HX750i - Corsair 750D - XB270HU G-Sync Monitor

Your CPU will last longer than your GPU. The CPU should be good for 4 or 5 years. 

Years. Many, many years.

CPU: AMD FX-6300 4GHz @ 1.3 volts | CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO | RAM: 8GB DDR3

Motherboard: Gigabyte 970A-DS3P | GPU: EVGA GTX 960 SSC | SSD: 250GB Samsung 850 EVO

HDD: 1TB WD Caviar Green | Case: Fractal Design Core 2500 | OS: Windows 10 Home

Look at the i7 2600K. That thing is 4 years old and just 10-15% slower than a modern i7 when compared clock to clock.

You can't compare CPUs that way. There's so much more than just pure clock speed. It has been that way since early 2000s.

@bydus, I built my first gaming rig to LGA775 socket and got then predessor to i5 series, Core2Duo. There was Core2Quad available back then already. I changed to it (Q6600) before BF3 lauched because of 4 cores against 2. And changed out of that for BF4 1.5years ago. So you could say that Q6600 (stock even) lasted 5 years and would still be good for bit older games with overclocks. My current CPU is bought because I don't want to upgrade every 2-3 years.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

I'm still sporting a 2500k @ 4.4 and it's still going strong.  My next upgrade will either be the skylake or canonlake,  that is if there's a substantial difference to justify the expenditure.....will see!

How much you guys think a Z97X Mobo will last?

mine also supports Broadwell Cpus*

Sample Text ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Long past the time WASD wears off your keys.

I can still see WASD on my 2002 Dell keyboard

so it can last 13 years?

Sample Text ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

You can't compare CPUs that way. There's so much more than just pure clock speed. It has been that way since early 2000s.

He isn't comparing clock speed/ghz. He said clock-for-clock. A 2600k @ 4.5ghz is only a tad slower than a 4790k @ 4.5ghz. The newer generations of CPUs have not had any drastic speed increases. When it comes to gaming especially, there is no noticeable difference between the two, assuming they have the same clock.

I can still see WASD on my 2002 Dell keyboard

so it can last 13 years?

Mebbe not that long...lol

I7-4790k will last you 3 years easily. U will need to change the gpu before u chamge the cpu. But DX12 and new UnrealEngine 4 could influence the gpu lifetime a lot (prolong it or shorten it)

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE