What mods have you made to your desk?

Trying to get ideas for a new desk and was wondering, what mods have you guys made to your desks?

Windows 10 Edu | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | Ryzen 9 3950x | 4x 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB| ROG Strix GeForce® RTX 2080 SUPER™ Advanced edition | Samsung 980 PRO 500GB + Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB + 8TB Seagate Barracuda | EVGA Supernova 650 G2 | Alienware AW3418DW + LG 34uc87c + Dell u3419w | Asus Zephyrus G14

You mean the actual desk?

Well, I made it myself, nothing fancy at all, nice wood as table top, 5 steel legs attached to it. It has the size and height I want and was as cheap as it gets.

I'm currently using my dining room table as my desk broke and My current mod is a potted plant resting in front of my monitors.

Rose's are red violets are blue, without computers I'd know not what to do.

Trying to get ideas for a new desk and was wondering, what mods have you guys made to your desks?

On my office desk I painted a white rectangle on what I consider "the work area" and I clear coated the entire top, so I can write on my desk with dry erase markers. It was a great idea 3 years ago, but the top got stained from the markers(worth it though).

Get plenty of room for your keyboard and mouse :D

And save room for a third (or possibly second) monitor.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

My desk is basically a large black table. I painted a 1 inch red border on it, and added a rack on the bottom to manage power bricks, and hid a power strip under it. 

Here's an old pic not long after I did it. (Ignore the laptop, it now has my desktop and red k70 on it)

uPOxhOAm.jpg

I'll update with a better picture when I get home. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

I use an old, square dining room table. The most important parts about your desk is the height and the depth. You need to be able to sit there comfortably and you need to be able to get your monitors at least an arm length away from you when leaning back in your chair (for a 24" monitor). Not only does this put you at the optimal viewing distance from your monitor, it also leaves plenty of room for you mouse and keyboard, allowing you to rest your forearms on the table.

For reference:

IMG_9132_zps1274d1e7.jpg

The only thing I did was remove the keyboard tray because I wanted more leg room.

INTEL CORE I5 4670K | NVIDIA GTX 980 | NOCTUA NH-L9i | GIGABYTE GA-Z97X-SLI | KINGSTON 120GB V300

CM STORM QUICKFIRE TK | BENQ XL2420TE | ROCCAT SAVU | FRACTAL DEFINE R4

I'm using my sister's desk. Her mods were a couple of <3 on it made with edigs. 

Longboarders/ skaters message me!

I cut loads of cable management holes in  my desk, then screwed some cable trunking to the underside. I've also got colour changing LED strips dotted around, mostly behind monitors

Stuck green CCFL lights underneath my black GALANT desk for cool underglow.

makes it faster. 

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

Stuck green CCFL lights underneath my black GALANT desk for cool underglow.

makes it faster. 

Just like my stupid ass alienware laptop's keyboard changes colors. Makes it better for gaming. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

You mean the actual desk?

Well, I made it myself, nothing fancy at all, nice wood as table top, 5 steel legs attached to it. It has the size and height I want and was as cheap as it gets.

Yes. The actual desk. :)

On my office desk I painted a white rectangle on what I consider "the work area" and I clear coated the entire top, so I can write on my desk with dry erase markers. It was a great idea 3 years ago, but the top got stained from the markers(worth it though).

I've always considered trying something like that out, but I was afraid of two things happening. Smudging my arms with dry erase marker residue, and getting the coating so dirty that I wouldn't be able to completely clean it anymore.

Get plenty of room for your keyboard and mouse :D

And save room for a third (or possibly second) monitor.

I was considering drilling a hole through the desk and using a grommet mount or getting a regular clamp mount for my two monitors. I would love to get a third, but as of right now I have no use for one.

I cut loads of cable management holes in  my desk, then screwed some cable trunking to the underside. I've also got colour changing LED strips dotted around, mostly behind monitors

I want to do something like this. I also want to cut a hole and put a usb charger that will stick out of the table top for charging my peripherals.

Windows 10 Edu | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | Ryzen 9 3950x | 4x 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB| ROG Strix GeForce® RTX 2080 SUPER™ Advanced edition | Samsung 980 PRO 500GB + Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB + 8TB Seagate Barracuda | EVGA Supernova 650 G2 | Alienware AW3418DW + LG 34uc87c + Dell u3419w | Asus Zephyrus G14

I just ordered an ikea micke, I plan on modding the hell out of it in the future

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/60244745/#/60244745

What do you intend on modding on the desk?

What do you intend on modding on the desk?

I am 100% certain I plan on doing something but I wont know until I get it and let my creativeness take hold. It should be here feb 25th hopefully.

Rose's are red violets are blue, without computers I'd know not what to do.

Just like my stupid ass alienware laptop's keyboard changes colors. Makes it better for gaming. 

Of course it does. My 60Hz TN has transformed into a 144Hz IPS with 1ms response time. /jk

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BwLquBSX2cfbaTVHRUFYYmZtWHM/edit

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BwLquBSX2cfbaGd1eXRvOHFtdGc/edit

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BwLquBSX2cfbd3ZmUVB6bjhvWms/edit

That's a lot of extra horsepower for a desk. You must like to live life dangerously.

Gained extra gigahertz = werf

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

I want to do something like this. I also want to cut a hole and put a usb charger that will stick out of the table top for charging my peripherals.

I'm actually also planning on doing this, but I'm also going to make a custom box with 4 USB ports, two for charging, and two connected to my computer for data.

I'm actually also planning on doing this, but I'm also going to make a custom box with 4 USB ports, two for charging, and two connected to my computer for data.

How would you go about doing that? I know they have a few gromet covers that have usb. I would be interested in finding one that is rectangular.

How would you go about doing that? I know they have a few gromet covers that have usb. I would be interested in finding one that is rectangular.

Completely custom.

My plan is

1.Cut a cylinder of wood just less than the diameter of a desk gromet.

2. Build a  small wooden trapezium prism (aka cuboid with downward slant on top panel.

3. Cut out holes in top panel for panel mount usb ports, then drill holes for all the cables in the cylinder and bottom panel of the box.

4.Paint everything and clear coat

5. Assemble, fix Box to cylinder.

6. Then use silicon adhesive to secure it into place in the desk.

If that's difficult to follow I apologize, but that's the basic idea, I'll probably end up changing the plan as I go along, as I always do with any project I do.

post-54657-0-87379300-1424218273.png

post-54657-0-87379300-1424218273.png

Completely custom.

My plan is

1.Cut a cylinder of wood just less than the diameter of a desk gromet.

2. Build a  small wooden trapezium prism (aka cuboid with downward slant on top panel.

3. Cut out holes in top panel for panel mount usb ports, then drill holes for all the cables in the cylinder and bottom panel of the box.

4.Paint everything and clear coat

5. Assemble, fix Box to cylinder.

6. Then use silicon adhesive to secure it into place in the desk.

If that's difficult to follow I apologize, but that's the basic idea, I'll probably end up changing the plan as I go along, as I always do with any project I do.

attachicon.gifUSB Desk Gromet.png

Not hard to follow. The visuals help. This looks pretty cool. Question though, wouldn't a powered hub be able to achieve the same thing?

Not hard to follow. The visuals help. This looks pretty cool. Question though, wouldn't a powered hub be able to achieve the same thing?

Probably, but I like the challenge, plus you don't get many wooden usb hubs.

I have a 32hp briggs & stratton lawnmower engine bolted to my desk i use it as a space heater(exhaust is vented out my window)

My pc:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/dvcw23 

(Black Glacier)

My server:

Dual xeon x5679 processors, 24gb of ECC memory, Nvidia quadro 295 NVS and 48tb of storage.  (z600

I have a 32hp briggs & stratton lawnmower engine bolted to my desk i use it as a space heater(exhaust is vented out my window)Wha

Thats clever. What does that even look like from afar?