iOS games are about to get bigger

Tonylu1595

mzl.jspdwjlu.png

Not many apps hit iTunes' 2GB file limit, but those that do tend to fall into a certain category (cough games). As a result, developers often must sacrifice graphics quality and effects for iOS titles, the exact problem we pointed out with the recent Bioshock iOS release. But Apple has finally lifted that limit, and the max file size on iTunes titles is now 4GB, according to its developer site. That should result in better games, with a caveat. If you decided that $949 was a tad too much to pay on the 128GB Iphone 6 plus and went for much cheaper 16GB iPhone 6 instead, you may not have enough space for the latest, largest titles.

The size limit of an app package submitted through iTunes Connect has increased from 2 GB to 4 GB, so you can include more media in your submission and provide a more complete, rich user experience upon installation. Please keep in mind that this change does not affect the cellular network delivery size limit of 100 MB.

Well, this doesn't affect me much as most 2GB titles require money in the apple store. Does Android also have a restriction on file sizes?

Source: http://www.engadget.com/2015/02/13/itunes-file-size-now-4gb/

Original Source: https://developer.apple.com/news/?id=02122015a

Sound: Custom one pros, Audioengine A5+ with S8 sub.

K70 RGB

Who actually plays big titles on ios though?

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Quisque euismod suscipit est, non placerat turpis vestibulum sed. Phasellus et faucibus odio. Donec a nisi at purus porttitor ullamcorper auctor a nibh. Integer id neque a nisi laoreet ultrices id ac augue. Nulla facilisi. Nullam purus elit, dictum quis euismod vitae, mollis non dui. Morbi vehicula neque eu mattis bibendum. Curabitur sed odio tortor. Sed euismod mi in diam volutpat, vitae convallis ipsum mattis. Praesent eleifend faucibus pulvinar. Interdum et malesuada fames ac ante ipsum primis in faucibus. Vestibulum velit nunc, fermentum a libero a, venenatis tempus lectus.

lol, lucky i got the 64gb version of the 6 plus. i dont mind paying for games, as long as they're good.

"Sulit" (adj.) something that is worth it

i7 8700K 4.8Ghz delidded / Corsair H100i V2 / Asus Strix Z370-F / G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB 3200 / EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB & 250GB - Crucial MX300 M.2 525GB / Fractal Design Define S / Corsair K70 MX Reds / Logitech G502 / Beyerdynamic DT770 250Ohm

SMSL SD793II AMP/DAC - Schiit Magni 3 / PCPP

Old Rig

i5 2500k 4.5Ghz | Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P | Zotac GTX 980 AMP! Extreme | Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB 1866MHz

I can't even play some 250MB games on my iPoop 4th Gen, then again it doesn't even support iOS 7/8 which is what is needed for almost any recent app or game. 

Sure you may think that some people don't want to carry a laptop to play some games, and would prefer to use a tablet or phone, but seriously, using a phone or other portable device alike for full-on games, just doesn't make sense to me. 

CPU: Intel i7 8700K | CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 | RAM: Kingston HyperX 2x8GB | Motherboard: Asus ROG Z370-E | GPU: MSI GTX 970 | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB & 2TB | SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB & 970 EVO M.2 500GB | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X | PSU: Silverstone Platinum Strider 1100W | Monitor: AOC i2367Fh | Headphones: ATH-M40X | Mic: Antlion ModMic 4 | Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB w/ MX Browns | Mouse: Logitech G502 HERO

Make sure you quote or mention the person you're replying to in your comment. Also remember to follow your thread when creating it to get a notification every time someone replies. 

Be nice and have fun. Cheers!

This is great; now ports of games can have more of the original content, and less compressed textures. Bioshock, for instance, is obviously incredible to play on an iPad, but imagine it without the shitty textures it has right now! That's my biggest complaint.

Now officially waiting on my Arkham Asylum iPad port :P

Lots of people? iOS has some FANTASTIC titles, it crushes Android when it comes to premium games.

LOL as if gaming on apple was a thing.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

LOL as if gaming on apple was a thing.

LOL as if gaming on mobile was a thing. 

See how silly that sounds? I mean honestly, I know you hate Apple but would it kill you to be rational once in a while? A lot of interesting games show up on mobile, iOS especially. 

While it might not be for you, its certainly a multi billion dollar industry that matters. 

Anyone with an iPhone

See how silly that sounds? I mean honestly, I know you hate Apple but would it kill you to be rational once in a while? A lot of interesting games show up on mobile, iOS especially. 

While it might not be for you, its certainly a multi billion dollar industry that matters. 

pc master race bruh

/s

Lots of people? iOS has some FANTASTIC titles, it crushes Android when it comes to premium games.

A lot of interesting games show up on mobile, iOS especially. 

Case in point: the Infinity Blade series. The games have been used by Apple to showcase the GPU power the iPhones have under their sleeves. And for good reason, as I have not seen a single Android or Windows Mobile game that comes even close to their graphical detail. On top of that, the games themselves are very fun to play.

Read the community standards; it's like a guide on how to not be a moron.

Gerdauf's Law: Each and every human being, without exception, is the direct carbon copy of the types of people that he/she bitterly opposes.

Remember, calling facts opinions does not ever make the facts opinions, no matter what nonsense you pull.

This is great; now ports of games can have more of the original content, and less compressed textures. Bioshock, for instance, is obviously incredible to play on an iPad, but imagine it without the shitty textures it has right now! That's my biggest complaint.

Now officially waiting on my Arkham Asylum iPad port :P

Doesn't it run like shit though? bigger file size wont increase performance, and bigger textures surely wont either

Intel i5-3570K/ Gigabyte GTX 1080/ Asus PA248Q/ Sony MDR-7506/MSI Z77A-G45/ NHD-14/Samsung 840 EVO 256GB+ Seagate Barracuda 3TB/ 16GB HyperX Blue 1600MHZ/  750w PSU/ Corsiar Carbide 500R

I'm more of the opinion that "it shouldn't exist" than anything else. Walled gardens etc.

Call it irrational all you want, but I view apple the same way I view consoles, neither should exist or be supported in this day and age. Open source is the future.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Damn. If I ever go with an iOS device, I'll make sure it's at least a 64GB model (my dad plans on getting me a Galaxy SIII).

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Doesn't it run like shit though? bigger file size wont increase performance, and bigger textures surely wont either

Bigger file size doesn't meant anything; it could mean the same game with twice the map size / content / etc.

As long as they optimize it, more space can be great; Infinity Blade 3 had really great textures, shadows and lighting, and it ran at 60FPS. iOS' new Metal API is like DX12 for mobile; it allows much more low-level access to the GPUs in newer Apple devices.

Case in point: the Infinity Blade series. The games have been used by Apple to showcase the GPU power the iPhones have under their sleeves. And for good reason, as I have not seen a single Android or Windows Mobile game that comes even close to their graphical detail. On top of that, the games themselves are very fun to play.

I find it amazing that a glorified tech demo actually doesn't suck as a game.

And what a tech demo Infinity Blade is, the output for what they have under the hood is pretty incredible. But it speaks to Apples mentality. Specs are one thing, using them is another. They put them to use when it matters, as those games show. 

Damn. If I ever go with an iOS device, I'll make sure it's at least a 64GB model (my dad plans on getting me a Galaxy SIII).

Hopefully by then the base model will double to 32GB. Changing the mid-tier from 32 to 64GB in this newest generation was great, but we still need 32GB at a minimum.

Hopefully by then the base model will double to 32GB. Changing the mid-tier from 32 to 64GB in this newest generation was great, but we still need 32GB at a minimum.

16GB should be absolute bare minimum. None of that 8GB bullshit like the 5C.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

I find it amazing that a glorified tech demo actually doesn't suck as a game.

And what a tech demo Infinity Blade is, the output for what they have under the hood is pretty incredible. But it speaks to Apples mentality. Specs are one thing, using them is another. They put them to use when it matters, as those games show.

Amen :P

Android fragmentation is a real detriment; games like IB can't possibly be optimized on hundreds of different hardware combinations and resolutions, so only top-tier phones on big manufacturers get official support. Even then, not many GREAT games are on Android. Ironically, Apple has the inferior desktop gaming platform, but vastly superior mobile one.

16GB should be absolute bare minimum. None of that 8GB bullshit like the 5C.

It was 16, but now that it's free they had to cut back I guess.

It was 16, but now that it's free they had to cut back I guess.

Kinda stupid. But eh.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Spoiler

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Kinda stupid. But eh.

Very stupid, but also pragmatically ruthless and smart. It does cost more money to make 32GB or 64GB the base, since they need to order that much more NAND. Now, I think I read a post that calculated the costs of making 64GB standard would run Apple 700 million. Thats it. Or thats a lot, depending on how you view it. 

Keep their own margins ludicrous be keeping the 16GB option in play, force people to pay to upgrade. What it also does is make people actually think about what they need. i know people who survive off 16GB just fine, others who have already filled up 128GB. I'm at 60GB on mine, so I'm glad I went that high. 

Amen :P

Android fragmentation is a real detriment; games like IB can't possibly be optimized on hundreds of different hardware combinations and resolutions, so only top-tier phones on big manufacturers get official support. Even then, not many GREAT games are on Android. Ironically, Apple has the inferior desktop gaming platform, but vastly superior mobile one.

I'm glad that Android gets more AAA titles like KotOR, which was great, but its still not at the level of how iOS gets pampered with gaming releases (and the optimization you get from it)

i think its best we stop trying to port games to mobile and instead focus on making games that are design for mobile interface