AMD Expected To Launch R9 395x2 End Of 2015 For Around $1499

Opcode

Theoretical throughput. Just like every other card on the market it's never really going to hit its peak. Tho 16 TFLOPS is what the card would be rated for.

The move to another and better memory technology was well overdue. The amount of power needed to get GDDR5 beyond 8 GHz is ludacris. HBM on the other hand already operates at a much lower voltage and brings more bandwidth to the table at far lower frequencies. A simple 100 MHz overclock on Pirate Islands will bring forth an extra 50 GB/s of memory bandwidth. Depending on how well HBM overclocks we might see people squeezing out over 100 GB/s of extra memory bandwidth just from a 200 MHz clock increase.

Actually because Samsung went to a smaller process the power to get to 8000 on its new memory chips is as much as it takes to get to 5000 on the 290X, according to Samsung anyway.

No one will care about memory overlocking since the performance will be bottlenecked by the processor still.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

JayzTwoCents says you're full of it. Live demo proving stuttering is not related to the RAM usage and RAM usage goes straight up to 4 when pushed.

-snip

My actual experience trumps that, I have played dying light with the GPU monitor up, the split second that I hit over 3.5 gb of Vram, I get stuttering, and I have experience the same thing in Skyrim. None of the other games I play uses that much Vram. Although I haven't booted up ESO for f2p yet, which I just re-downloaded. BRB, gonna go check that and see what I get.

I also had task manager, and HW monitor up during those runs, and my CPU wasn't completely maxed out, nor was my system memory. GPU usage was at 99%

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

My actual experience trumps that, I have played dying light with the GPU monitor up, the split second that I hit over 3.5 gb of Vram, I get stuttering, and I have experience the same thing in Skyrim. None of the other games I play uses that much Vram. Although I haven't booted up ESO for f2p yet, which I just re-downloaded. BRB, gonna go check that and see what I get.

Dying Light is practically as bad as AC Unity in terms of optimization, and even 980 users get stuttering. It's not VRAM-related. It's 100% the software.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

Dying Light is practically as bad as AC Unity in terms of optimization, and even 980 users get stuttering. It's not VRAM-related. It's 100% the software.

Right, that's why the only time I get problems in that game is when I hit anywhere over 3,5 gb of Vram, and everything else seems non taxed. Below the 3.5 mark the game runs just fine, no noticeable stutter, at least that I can detect.

Right, that's why the only time I get problems in that game is when I hit anywhere over 3,5 gb of Vram, and everything else seems non taxed. Below the 3.5 mark the game runs just fine, no noticeable stutter, at least that I can detect.

Did you ever stop to consider maybe when you're using that much RAM it could be the draw call count? (Hint: look at the limits of DX 11 draw call throughput and look at what Dying Light uses)

Did you ever stop to consider maybe when you're using that much RAM it could be the draw call count? (Hint: look at the limits of DX 11 draw call throughput and look at what Dying Light uses)

Don't know how to look at that while in game (will do if you can tell me how lol) and RAM or Vram? I have 16gb of system memory, not sure how it could be that. I can try OCing back up to 1866 (currently have mismatched ram, Adata 1600 and hyperX fury 1866, both running at 1600, haven't had any issues from it that I am aware of, i.e. bsods etc)

And I can't test ESO because it isn't F2P until the 17th of next month....damn. Kinda wanted to see what it looked like on this new monitor.

Edit: I forgot, Watch Dogs is the other title that will hit barely above 3.5gb of Vram and causes stuttering. Nothing game breaking, just micro stutter, still annoying as hell. Granted, it IS another Ubi title

Don't know how to look at that while in game (will do if you can tell me how lol) and RAM or Vram? I have 16gb of system memory, not sure how it could be that. I can try OCing back up to 1866 (currently have mismatched ram, Adata 1600 and hyperX fury 1866, both running at 1600, haven't had any issues from it that I am aware of, i.e. bsods etc)

And I can't test ESO because it isn't F2P until the 17th of next month....damn. Kinda wanted to see what it looked like on this new monitor.

Edit: I forgot, Watch Dogs is the other title that will hit barely above 3.5gb of Vram and causes stuttering. Nothing game breaking, just micro stutter, still annoying as hell. Granted, it IS another Ubi title

VRAM.

Also, watchdogs still stutters on the 780TI and he 980 as well.

Dang.. Can we speculate the 390x and 380x prices too now? :3

its not going to be too hard, the 90x class will be around 550-650 the 90 class a bit below etc. Pricing structure is always very similar

VRAM.

Also, watchdogs still stutters on the 780TI and he 980 as well.

Weird glitch, just jumped into watchdogs, went on total rampage, wasted all ammo and bombs on civvies.....and no cops? WTF is that about? lol

Guess I'll go back to Metro LL.

its not going to be too hard, the 90x class will be around 550-650 the 90 class a bit below etc. Pricing structure is always very similar

You forgot to factor in the new $30/GB HBM (actual price, not speculation according to my university's server architect and admin) and the AIO cooler.

You forgot to factor in the new $30/GB HBM (actual price, not speculation according to my university's server architect and admin) and the AIO cooler.

We all know AMD is paying a small fraction of that for theirs due to massive bulk quantities. There's no way AMD would consider using HBM if it was in fact $30/GB. Raising the cards expense $120 just for memory you can buy 4 GB of GDDR5 for less than $40. They would of benefited from having a 8 GB density as well. Tho HBM must not cost as much as you would expect for them to implement into their product. Especially if its the first large scale commercial product for Hynix's new memory technology. Card specifications and pricing should reveal how much the memory technology costed AMD (and us).

We all know AMD is paying a small fraction of that for theirs due to massive bulk quantities. There's no way AMD would consider using HBM if it was in fact $30/GB. Raising the cards expense $120 just for memory you can buy 4 GB of GDDR5 for less than $40. They would of benefited from having a 8 GB density as well. Tho HBM must not cost as much as you would expect for them to implement into their product. Especially if its the first large scale commercial product for Hynix's new memory technology. Card specifications and pricing should reveal how much the memory technology costed AMD (and us).

Not a small fraction. For a unit order of 40,000 modules $30/GB is the price. I don't care how many millions AMD ordered but they're not getting 50% below that cost.

Do you guys really think that AMD is gonna launch a $700 GPU when the competition's high-end GPU is $550?

Yes, if it performs a lot better then why not? I hope that they wont do it though :D

I bet that power of a beast is able to create a nuclear reaction of 1.21 GIGAWATTS.

Mobo: Z97 MSI Gaming 7 / CPU: i5-4690k@4.5GHz 1.23v / GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 / RAM: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz@CL9 1.5v / PSU: Corsair CX500M / Case: NZXT 410 / Monitor: 1080p IPS Acer R240HY bidx

If Nvidia chooses to go liquid cooling for the next dual-titan, it'll be interesting to say the least. AMD will have the HBM advantage, but I don't see games using that much bandwidth for a long time. It will be an interesting fight indeed.

Actually I'm curious about this: so far it has been NVIDIA achilles heel.

Although being very specific cards, they are still a performance mark - the tip of high end.

Actually I'm curious about this: so far it has been NVIDIA achilles heel.

Although being very specific cards, they are still a performance mark - the tip of high end.

Admittedly if you take the stock cooler off the TitanZ and throw a good EK or Aquacomputer block on it, it'll reach 1GHz+ easily and come out on top in performance.

Admittedly if you take the stock cooler off the TitanZ and throw a good EK or Aquacomputer block on it, it'll reach 1GHz+ easily and come out on top in performance.

Then we are surely allowed to slap a Kryographics block on the 295x2 too? And haven't people pushed Titan Z's to 1100+ boost clocks on the original cooler already?

FX 6300 @4.8 Ghz - Club 3d R9 280x RoyalQueen @1200 core / 1700 memory - Asus M5A99X Evo R 2.0 - 8 Gb Kingston Hyper X Blu - Seasonic M12II Evo Bronze 620w - 1 Tb WD Blue, 1 Tb Seagate Barracuda - Custom water cooling

"WCCFTech is reporting on" 

right...well then. I'll go ahead and basically ignore this.

CPU: Intel i5 4690k W/Noctua nh-d15 GPU: Gigabyte G1 980 TI MOBO: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 RAM: 16Gig Corsair Vengance Boot-Drive: 500gb Samsung Evo Storage: 2x 500g WD Blue, 1x 2tb WD Black 1x4tb WD Red

"Whatever AMD is losing in suddenly becomes the most important thing ever." - Glenwing, 1/13/2015

The more exciting one will be ASUS releasing two of them in a single slot form factor. That is the ultimate card.

ARES IV, anyone?

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use, and by some other means to give us knowledge which we can attain by them. - Galileo Galilei
Build Logs: Tophat (in progress), DNAF | Useful Links: How To: Choosing Your Storage Devices and Configuration, Case Study: RAID Tolerance to Failure, Reducing Single Points of Failure in Redundant Storage , Why Choose an SSD?, ZFS From A to Z (Eric1024), Advanced RAID: Survival Rates, Flashing LSI RAID Cards (alpenwasser), SAN and Storage Networking

The more exciting one will be ASUS releasing two of them in a single slot form factor. That is the ultimate card.

ARES IV, anyone?

I want this.

I'll never actually buy it...But I want it to exist please.

CPU: Intel i5 4690k W/Noctua nh-d15 GPU: Gigabyte G1 980 TI MOBO: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 RAM: 16Gig Corsair Vengance Boot-Drive: 500gb Samsung Evo Storage: 2x 500g WD Blue, 1x 2tb WD Black 1x4tb WD Red

"Whatever AMD is losing in suddenly becomes the most important thing ever." - Glenwing, 1/13/2015

The card looks massive ! Guess its called flag"ship" for that reason :D

Release at end of this year ?! But by then Nvidia will launch 1000 series (or couple months later).

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE