Uncharted 4 Dev claims step closer to the film quality

TwistedDictator
Game quality is really close to film right now, look at the stuff we do in Naughty Dog. This character, I’m telling you guys, this character can easily be a digital double in a film. Based on the quality, the detail, the blend shape, the colour, everything that we put on the character [uncharted’s Nathan Drake] this is basically a film character to me. So to me, videos games are getting really close to film quality, and this is exactly what I wanted to do.”
“As we have more powerful consoles coming out, so right now we have PS4, it’s definitely more powerful than PS3 and that enables to put more polygons, you know, using more high-res maps and get more resolutions in a game, making more expressions making more blend shapes and wrinkle maps. All of this is getting us one step closer to the film quality that we wanted for the game industry and I think in a few years we can definitely get there.

Source

But do the companies have the budget?

Slick:

I don't care if you are right or wrong... someone will come around and correct you if you are wrong. What people need to realize is that we need to step up as a community and get above the pathetic fights and bickering. Share knowledge, be friendly, enjoy your stay.

He also forgot to mention if you dont know about the topic then dont make stuff up. Dont claim fake or assume things just by reading the title, Read the post. It doesnt matter if you made 3,000 as it could be mostly crap...

The quick replies as always on here.

Slick:

I don't care if you are right or wrong... someone will come around and correct you if you are wrong. What people need to realize is that we need to step up as a community and get above the pathetic fights and bickering. Share knowledge, be friendly, enjoy your stay.

He also forgot to mention if you dont know about the topic then dont make stuff up. Dont claim fake or assume things just by reading the title, Read the post. It doesnt matter if you made 3,000 as it could be mostly crap...

too bad they're never going to get anywhere close to film quality on "next gen" consoles. 

Well, on the next gen consoles we might, who knows how does are going to be

Ryzen 7 5800X     Corsair H115i Platinum     ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi)     G.Skill Trident Z 3600CL16 (@3800MHzCL16 and other tweaked timings)     

MSI RTX 3080 Gaming X Trio    Corsair HX850     WD Black SN850 1TB     Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB     Samsung 840 EVO 500GB     Acer XB271HU 27" 1440p 165hz G-Sync     ASUS ProArt PA278QV     LG C8 55"     Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X Glass     Logitech G915      Logitech MX Vertical      Steelseries Arctis 7 Wireless 2019      Windows 10 Pro x64

Yay, Uncharted is finally coming to PC :D, that is unless they mean 24 fps 792p cinematic

they already said they were doing 1080p 60fps. I am not sure they can hit the 60fps mark but it's naughty dog we are talking about. They work with magic and pixie dust to make insane looking games on low end hardware. Look at the last of us. I wish they would make games for pc already.

Ryzen 3700x -Evga RTX 2080 Super- Msi x570 Gaming Edge - G.Skill Ripjaws 3600Mhz RAM - EVGA SuperNova G3 750W -500gb 970 Evo - 250Gb Samsung 850 Evo - 250Gb Samsung 840 Evo  - 4Tb WD Blue- NZXT h500 - ROG Swift PG348Q

Naughty dog are crazy talented, they work wonders with the tech they're given. I think I'll definitely pick up a ps4 for this, hopefully a gran turismo game will be releasing too. 

Just wish uncharted 3 would come to PC, naughty dog have some footage of it running @60FPS

CPU: Intel 3570 GPUs: Nvidia GTX 660Ti Case: Fractal design Define R4  Storage: 1TB WD Caviar Black & 240GB Hyper X 3k SSD Sound: Custom One Pros Keyboard: Ducky Shine 4 Mouse: Logitech G500

Uncharted is freaking insane, its definitely in my top 10 all time games, and probably quite high up too

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

So we might get the 4th installment on PC then?

...that's great, for those of us who haven't played the first 3 and will have no clue wtf is going on lol

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

I just can't get with the shooting sections of uncharted, they drag the whole game down, hopefully they learned from TLOU and Squeenix's Tomb Raider which had much better gun play

...that's great, for those of us who haven't played the first 3 and will have no clue wtf is going on lol

I'm not sure if you're being facetious, but no, unless sony sells Naughty Dog, and they are feeling particularly generous i don't see them releasing on PC, and they aren't releasing the 4th one to it.

Intel i5-3570K/ Gigabyte GTX 1080/ Asus PA248Q/ Sony MDR-7506/MSI Z77A-G45/ NHD-14/Samsung 840 EVO 256GB+ Seagate Barracuda 3TB/ 16GB HyperX Blue 1600MHZ/  750w PSU/ Corsiar Carbide 500R

It's okay, just imagine the first three are the prequels.

Any unknown button should be pressed even number of times.

the uncanny valley is gonna be so real the next iteration of consoles.

too bad they're never going to get anywhere close to film quality on "next gen" consoles. 

well actually the console are good for a more cinematic experience. joke aside I don't think that having the game production to be close to the cinema production (85% driven by star and advertisement 15% driven by actual production) is a good thing

@manikyath

I'd say the uncanny valley is already here: (project logan RTW) 

FaceWorks-610x363.jpg

CPU: Intel 3570 GPUs: Nvidia GTX 660Ti Case: Fractal design Define R4  Storage: 1TB WD Caviar Black & 240GB Hyper X 3k SSD Sound: Custom One Pros Keyboard: Ducky Shine 4 Mouse: Logitech G500

And they want to target 60fps? Kinda insane.

Mobo: Z97 MSI Gaming 7 / CPU: i5-4690k@4.5GHz 1.23v / GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 / RAM: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz@CL9 1.5v / PSU: Corsair CX500M / Case: NZXT 410 / Monitor: 1080p IPS Acer R240HY bidx

It seems since Roger Ebert made his dumb jab at video games not being art the entire industry has been really eager to become more cinematic. Although I could just be misremembering it and it may have been happing way before that. Either way, I don't want games to be more cinematic, or film like, and I know I'm far from being alone in this. I'd much rather play a game like Papers Please or Hotline Miami, where the developer actually focused on bringing good gameplay to table. I haven't seen Naughty Dog do that in a while. Both Uncharted and The Last of Us are more fun to watch than to play and that's probably one of the worst sins a video game can commit.

Step closer to film quality?

They are actually going to run the game at locked 24fps for dat cinematic feels?

I guess by "digital double"...he meant something like this: holyshittherock.jpg

Anyone who has a sister hates the fact that his sister isn't Kasugano Sora.
Anyone who does not have a sister hates the fact that Kasugano Sora isn't his sister.
I'm not insulting anyone; I'm just being condescending. There is a difference, you see...

*Deep sigh* Once these game companies pull their head out of their ass stop taking cash bribes from Sony/MSFT and realize that their games should be released on PC then I'll actually believe them when they say things like "film quality" 

CPU: i7 6700k @ 4.6ghz | CASE: Corsair 780T White Edition | MB: Asus Z170 Deluxe | CPU Cooling: EK Predator 360 | GPU: NVIDIA Titan X Pascal w/ EKWB nickel waterblock | PSU: EVGA 850w P2 | RAM: 16GB DDR4 Corsair Domintator Platinum 2800mhz | Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB | OS: Win 10 Pro x64 | Monitor: Acer Predator X34/HTC VIVE Keyboard: CM Storm Trigger-Z | Mouse: Razer Taipan | Sound: Audio Technica ATH-M50x / Klipsch Promedia 2.1 Sound System 

*Deep sigh* Once these game companies pull their head out of their ass stop taking cash bribes from Sony/MSFT and realize that their games should be released on PC then I'll actually believe them when they say things like "film quality" 

It's one thing to accept a cash bribe, and another thing entirely to be owned by Sony. It makes absolutely no sense for Sony to release a game for a competitors platform, just as it makes no sense for Microsoft or Nintendo to.  

It's one thing to accept a cash bribe, and another thing entirely to be owned by Sony. It makes absolutely no sense for Sony to release a game for a competitors platform, just as it makes no sense for Microsoft or Nintendo to.  

SOE.

As for MS, they have Windows.

Only one that didn't make sense is Nintendo and I don't miss the yearly-rehash of same characters.

Anyone who has a sister hates the fact that his sister isn't Kasugano Sora.
Anyone who does not have a sister hates the fact that Kasugano Sora isn't his sister.
I'm not insulting anyone; I'm just being condescending. There is a difference, you see...

they already said they were doing 1080p 60fps. I am not sure they can hit the 60fps mark but it's naughty dog we are talking about. They work with magic and pixie dust to make insane looking games on low end hardware. Look at the last of us. I wish they would make games for pc already.

PS4 1080p60fps = Pc 4K60fps

Yes pls ;)

Let's agree to disagree

Calling it movie quality is far stretched.

We aren't even close to doing ray tracing in real time let alone actual CGI quality.

If he's talking about cinematogrophy then I would agree but the actual asset and graphics quality is not even close and won't be for easy another 10 years at least.

RTX2070OC