Official Nvidia GTX 970 Discussion Thread

Proof of only using 21mb?

No, the current driver utilizes the first 3.5gb, and THEN starts to use the .5gb. If the drivers are modified to use the slower VRAM for the desktop then it would help alleviate these "issues". 

Have no real way of telling what information is stored where. Could also be that it's using it already, but partially and swaps to that memory again as soon as the primary pool is saturated.

I have to admit, my knowledge on this is pretty limited and I never for a second stated that i'm an expert on it. 

But I would be in their best interests that regardless of what is the case now, it really should put things like desktop memory in there.

This is some grade A shitflinging at this point. Lock the thread already.

FX 6300 @4.8 Ghz - Club 3d R9 280x RoyalQueen @1200 core / 1700 memory - Asus M5A99X Evo R 2.0 - 8 Gb Kingston Hyper X Blu - Seasonic M12II Evo Bronze 620w - 1 Tb WD Blue, 1 Tb Seagate Barracuda - Custom water cooling

The two of you need to stop already. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Can people not just get along?

Nvidia lied about their spec, they should apologise, remedy it and move on.

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K @ 4.7GHz, 1.3v with Corsair H100i - Motherboard: MSI MPOWER Z97 MAX AC - RAM: 2x4GB G.Skill Ares @ 2133 - GPU1: Sapphire Radeon R9-290X BF4 Edition with NZXT Kraken G10 with a Corsair H55 AIO @ 1140/1650 GPU2: PowerColor Radeon R9-290X OC Edition with NZXT Kraken G10 with a Corsair H55 AIO @ 1140/1650 - SSD: 256GB OCZ Agility 4 - HDD: 1TB Samsung HD103SJ- PSU: SuperFlower Leadex GOLD 1300w  - Case: NZXT Switch 810 (White) - Case fans: NZXT Blue LED Fans- Keyboard: Steelseries Apex Gaming Keyboard - Mouse: Logitech G600 - Heaphones: Logitech G930 - Monitors: ASUS PB287Q and Acer G246HYLbd -  Phone: Sony Xperia Z1

Can people not just get along?

Nvidia lied about their spec, they should apologise, remedy it and move on.

i love how you just assumed they planed this all along 

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

i love how you just assumed they planed this all along 

I'm not arguing with you, they 'lied' or 'miscommunicated' as you'd like to call it, a large company like Nvidia shouldn't be making rookie mistakes like that. Let's not end up with another 'Ubisoft PR nightmare' kind of case. They should've made it clear on the specification and to the reviewers that the last 512MB is accessible at a much slower speed.

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K @ 4.7GHz, 1.3v with Corsair H100i - Motherboard: MSI MPOWER Z97 MAX AC - RAM: 2x4GB G.Skill Ares @ 2133 - GPU1: Sapphire Radeon R9-290X BF4 Edition with NZXT Kraken G10 with a Corsair H55 AIO @ 1140/1650 GPU2: PowerColor Radeon R9-290X OC Edition with NZXT Kraken G10 with a Corsair H55 AIO @ 1140/1650 - SSD: 256GB OCZ Agility 4 - HDD: 1TB Samsung HD103SJ- PSU: SuperFlower Leadex GOLD 1300w  - Case: NZXT Switch 810 (White) - Case fans: NZXT Blue LED Fans- Keyboard: Steelseries Apex Gaming Keyboard - Mouse: Logitech G600 - Heaphones: Logitech G930 - Monitors: ASUS PB287Q and Acer G246HYLbd -  Phone: Sony Xperia Z1

I'm not arguing with you, they 'lied' or 'miscommunicated' as you'd like to call it, a large company like Nvidia shouldn't be making rookie mistakes like that. Let's not end up with another 'Ubisoft PR nightmare' kind of case. They should've made it clear on the specification and to the reviewers that the last 512MB is accessible at a much slower speed.

Everyone makes mistakes we are all human.

Assuming it was a mistake.

We cant prove it was a lie now can we?

I just want them to refund their costumer and give them a free game or something.

Everyone makes mistakes we are all human.

Assuming it was a mistake.

We cant prove it was a lie now can we?

I just want them to refund their costumer and give them a free game or something.

Of course, i mean, at least they admitted it. Unlike Ubi

They are almost in the same level of shitiness however.

Ubi only digs more often.

Not quite. Ubisoft lied about the performance in order to make their shit optimization look better. Nvidia lied/miscommunicated about the specs, which don't actually affect performance. 

And again, Nvidia still isn't the first company to pull something like this. Intel's done it, Samsung's done it. Kingston's done. AMD's done it. and the list goes on forever. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Not quite. Ubisoft lied about the performance in order to make their shit optimization look better. Nvidia lied/miscommunicated about the specs, which don't actually affect performance. 

The watch dogs lie was a similar level of "miscomunication" .

Im talking about the Worse mode debacle.

They are both done some anti consumer stuff i disagree with.

The thing between your legs... or maybe not 

P.s. @zappian not everyone has one 

look down

That's what I thought. I guess we're just excluding the female part of the population from 'everyone'

Turnip OC'd to 3Hz on air

It's all about the humor. Nvidia set themselves up to be slandered and criticized.

nvidia didnt set themselves up to be slandered as 

slander - the action or crime of making a false spoken statement damaging to a person's reputation.

"if nothing is impossible, try slamming a revolving door....." - unknown

my new rig bob https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/b/sGRG3C#cx710255

Kumaresh - "Judging whether something is alive by it's capability to live is one of the most idiotic arguments I've ever seen." - jan 2017

Did you fully understand the memory architecture and limitations at launch?

Did you know that the card had less SM units and less l2 cache ?

Did you know that the card had performance problems over 3.5 GB of VRAM?

If we did this wound not  be an issue.

You are telling me we knew this at launch and understood this perfectly:

GM204_arch_0.jpg.

You must work at nvidia then.

Glad to know you're still ignoring half of this thread. 

It's been said about 6 or 7 times already in this thread,  yes Nvidia lied about the ROPs and didn't explain how the vram was laid out and the effect that would have. However everyone knew how the card performed before purchase, everyone knew what the performance limits of this card was, you cannot deny that, to do so would invalidate just about every single recommendation rational on this forum. 

You don't need to know how the GPU works at all to know that performance starts to drop off after 1440.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Glad to know you're still ignoring half of this thread. 

It's been said about 6 or 7 times already in this thread,  yes Nvidia lied about the ROPs and didn't explain how the vram was laid out and the effect that would have. However everyone knew how the card performed before purchase, everyone knew what the performance limits of this card was, you cannot deny that, to do so would invalidate just about every single recommendation rational on this forum. 

You don't need to know how the GPU works at all to know that performance starts to drop off after 1440.

Yeah im just saying we didnt understand fully how the nuts and bolts worked.

I mean 970 is a fine card no bout.

I just recommended two for a 1440p build.

At launch we had fewer infomration than we have now.

Build i made:

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/300569-first-build-help/

http://www.anandtech.com/show/8913/amd-reports-q4-fy-2014-and-full-year-results

What's that AMD? You were saying something about doing good business?

@zappian, stay away.

I smell butthurt.

Speaking of competitors doing their part: https://twitter.com/TweakTown/status/560946033224474624/photo/1

I can only speculate know how well that ^ will go.

Edited by Shahnewaz

The problem is that this is an nVidia product and scoring any nVidia product a "zero" is also highly predictive of the number of nVidia products the reviewer will receive for review in the future.

On 2015-01-28 at 5:24 PM, Victorious Secret said:

Only yours, you don't shitpost on the same level that we can, mainly because this thread is finally dead and should be locked.

On 2016-06-07 at 11:25 PM, patrickjp93 said:

I wasn't wrong. It's extremely rare that I am. I provided sources as well. Different devs can disagree. Further, we now have confirmed discrepancy from Twitter about he use of the pre-release 1080 driver in AMD's demo despite the release 1080 driver having been out a week prior.

On 2016-09-10 at 4:32 PM, Hikaru12 said:

You apparently haven't seen his responses to questions on YouTube. He is very condescending and aggressive in his comments with which there is little justification. He acts totally different in his videos. I don't necessarily care for this content style and there is nothing really unique about him or his channel. His endless dick jokes and toilet humor are annoying as well.

I smell butthurt.

Speaking of competitors doing their part: https://twitter.com/TweakTown/status/560946033224474624/photo/1

That could've been a planned pricedrop that is now being correlated by tweaktown. Dropping their prices only compounds that graph, so i'm not sure what argument you're trying to make here.

That guy is the best at that.

I have chosen to ignore him.

And yet you keep fucking insinuating how others should interpret my comments. Really, enough with the snarky fucking remarks. Never met anyone this fucking obnoxious in my life. Damn. 

That could've been a planned pricedrop that is now being correlated by tweaktown. Dropping their prices only compounds that graph, so i'm not sure what argument you're trying to make here.

I have clearly made 0 arguments... :rolleyes:. Honestly there is nothing to argue about that anyway; and I never intended one. ;)

What graph are you talking about?

The problem is that this is an nVidia product and scoring any nVidia product a "zero" is also highly predictive of the number of nVidia products the reviewer will receive for review in the future.

On 2015-01-28 at 5:24 PM, Victorious Secret said:

Only yours, you don't shitpost on the same level that we can, mainly because this thread is finally dead and should be locked.

On 2016-06-07 at 11:25 PM, patrickjp93 said:

I wasn't wrong. It's extremely rare that I am. I provided sources as well. Different devs can disagree. Further, we now have confirmed discrepancy from Twitter about he use of the pre-release 1080 driver in AMD's demo despite the release 1080 driver having been out a week prior.

On 2016-09-10 at 4:32 PM, Hikaru12 said:

You apparently haven't seen his responses to questions on YouTube. He is very condescending and aggressive in his comments with which there is little justification. He acts totally different in his videos. I don't necessarily care for this content style and there is nothing really unique about him or his channel. His endless dick jokes and toilet humor are annoying as well.

I have clearly made 0 arguments... :rolleyes:. Honestly there is nothing to argue about that anyway; and I never intended one. ;)

What graph are you talking about?

The one in the comment you linked. You didn't even look at what I was talking about? :/

All i'm saying is, that pricedrop could've been planned or coincidence. And slashing their prices yet again really doesn't help their business model in the slightest.

They keep doing this and AMD is dead by the end of this year.