Official Nvidia GTX 970 Discussion Thread

Lucky. I did have that issue with 3 of them so did a lot of other people as u can see.

maybe it was a launch issue?

philosophy hasnt had issues with his 2 290's

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

maybe it was a launch issue?

I had the issue in November. Lots of recent posts with same issue. 3 or 4 on LTT today lol
You can't be serious.  Hyperthreading is a market joke?

I had the issue in November. Lots of recent posts with same issue. 3 or 4 on LTT today lol

(Shrug) havent seen any of those topics and personally ive had nothing but good stuff to say about it

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

(Shrug) havent seen any of those topics and personally ive had nothing but good stuff to say about it

I haven't had any Vram issues with my 970
You can't be serious.  Hyperthreading is a market joke?

If raw performance is all that matters go with 2x R9 290x (non-reference cooler) or a single 980 or 980 SLI and if you're planning on going with that configuration I think you'd be gaming or using a higher res display such as 1440p, eyefinity/surround 1080p/1440p or 4k.. don't go 970 SLI.

I love free stuff.

GTX 970 with pseudo 4gb vram at pseudo 224gb/s at pseudo  256-bit with 56 ROPs (corrected from 64) and 1.75mb L2 cache (corrected from 2mb).

I would suggest getting 2x 290x since they do have better surround configuration (eyefinity) although, there have been a lot complaints about lingering problems that still tormenting people. You're lucky if you don't get problems.

Corsair 760T White | Asus X99 Deluxe | Intel i7-5930k @ 4.4ghz | Corsair H110 | G.Skill Ripjawz 2400mhz | Gigabyte GTX 970 Windforce G1 Gaming (1584mhz/8000mhz) | Corsair AX 760w | Samsung 850 pro | WD Black 1TB | IceModz Sleeved Cables | IceModz RGB LED pack

If raw performance is all that matters go with 2x R9 290x (non-reference cooler) or a single 980 or 980 SLI and if you're planning on going with that configuration I think you'd be gaming or using a higher res display such as 1440p, eyefinity/surround 1080p/1440p or 4k.. don't go 970 SLI.

Man this VRAM issue on the 970 is such a bummer. I'd rather not have to deal with the heat and power consumption of dual 290x's. Do you think that the 0.5GB will make a difference on three 1080p screens?

I would suggest getting 2x 290x since they do have better surround configuration (eyefinity) although, there have been a lot complaints about lingering problems that still tormenting people. You're lucky if you don't get problems.

Hmm. I never imagined one brand would perform better than the other in multi-monitor configurations. I'll have to look into that!

Man this VRAM issue on the 970 is such a bummer. I'd rather not have to deal with the heat and power consumption of dual 290x's. Do you think that the 0.5GB will make a difference on three 1080p screens?

It will likely be an issue with textures/AA cranked up, and even without the .5GB vram being an issue, the 290x's will still perform quite a bit better at that resolution. 

RIP in pepperonis m8s

yeah, go for 290x

CPU: i5-6600k @ 4.4GHz | Motherboard: Asus Z170 Pro Gaming | RAM: 8GB HyperX Fury | GPU: Asus Strix GTX 980 | Case: NZXT Noctis 450 Red/Black | Storage: 256GB Sandisk SSD + 1TB Western Digital HDD | PSU: EVGA 750w | Monitor: ASUS VS247H | CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo | Keyboard: $15 Cheapo Rubber Dome Keyboard | Mouse: Rosewill RGM-300

Linus Tech Tips Pebble (and Pebble Time) notifier watchface!

At highe res, Yes. On a single 1080p, atm, No. Once new games uses more vram it would be an issue for GTX 970 because I think (since it is in the future) either the new game engines will try to use the slower 0.5gb that will result to stutters/hitching or it won't use the slower 0.5gb but would result to a significant loss of performance compared to GTX 980 with a "real" 4gb vram and any 4gb vram AMD flagship counterparts.

So in time, it will have significant loss in performance. But for a single 1080p now, its a good card.

But ofcoures you can lower your settings to mid or low to not hit above 3.5gb or vram.

It WAS a beast card for its price but now, its only a GOOD card as EXPECTED for its price.

I love free stuff.

GTX 970 with pseudo 4gb vram at pseudo 224gb/s at pseudo  256-bit with 56 ROPs (corrected from 64) and 1.75mb L2 cache (corrected from 2mb).

The last 0.5 GB is 7 times slower than the rest and only 2 times faster than system memory, it perfoms basically as if it was 3.5GB.

But it still has 4GB of VRAM total.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

But it still has 4GB of VRAM total.

Yeah, technically, it does. But I say, the GTX 970 has a pseudo 4gb vram at pseudo 224gb/s at pseudo 256-bit with 56 ROPs (corrected from 64) and 1.75mb of L2 cache (corrected from 2mb).

I love free stuff.

I don't think it will be a problem for 1080p but I've been in that kind of situation where  I don't know what to buy considering that both has their own pros and cons. If you were to put me in that situation again, I would just buy 980(s) or wait for the 380x/390x and Next-gen GPUs from Nvidia. 

Did you consider looking at R9 295x2? It seems to be a good option considering that it does have closed looped AIO. Although, you do need to have a 1000+ watt PSU.

Corsair 760T White | Asus X99 Deluxe | Intel i7-5930k @ 4.4ghz | Corsair H110 | G.Skill Ripjawz 2400mhz | Gigabyte GTX 970 Windforce G1 Gaming (1584mhz/8000mhz) | Corsair AX 760w | Samsung 850 pro | WD Black 1TB | IceModz Sleeved Cables | IceModz RGB LED pack

Hey OP, are you planning on gaming on all 3 at once? If not, it really doesnt matter, even a single 970 will do awesome, as would a 290 or 290x. If that's the case, I'd go for the 970, since its a beast of a card, but lower heat and power usage - both are great if you plan on SLI.

If you are planning on running 3x 1080p for gaming, I would look at performance benchmarks for the games you wish to play. There are a few benchmarks out there for triple monitor, or 1440p or 4k that you could use to compare how two 290x or 2 970s perform on that resolution for the games you wish to play. If you really want to "future proof" - I would not bother with either. I would either get 2x 980s or 2x AMD 300 series anyway. 2x 970's or 2x290xs are decent/okay for high res gaming on current games, but neither will promise great performance in upcoming games, and you will be wanting more power anyway.  

I would also strongly advise you to think about 3 monitor gaming and think if you will actually use it. Several of my friends, myself included, have 3+ monitor setups, and even though we can run 3 monitors for gaming, none of us do. We did for a little while, but we all quit after a few months. (we mainly play FPS games). 

I sold my 290x after getting it, as it would blackscreen on me and sounded like a jet. I figured that I should get a quality experience for $500 (the price when I purchased soon after launch), so I sold it to a Miner for $200 profit and bought a 780Ti and never looked back. :)

D3SL91 | Ethan | Gaming+Work System | NAS System | Photo: Nikon D750 + D5200

Title kinda says it all, Im thinking of RMAing my 970s because of the VRAM issue but I'm not 100% sure its worth it with my setup.  Ive hit 90% Vram usage before ( According to MSI afterburner) not really sure if the stuttering was from the GPU or the games I'm running. 
What do you think? 

"45 ACP because shooting twice is silly!"

90% VRAM use means you exceeded the 3.5Gb high speed memory limit. Therefore the stutter is likely the GPU.

Title kinda says it all, Im thinking of RMAing my 970s because of the VRAM issue but I'm not 100% sure its worth it with my setup. Ive hit 90% Vram usage before ( According to MSI afterburner) not really sure if the stuttering was from the GPU or the games I'm running.

What do you think?

What games are you running?

What details are you using?

What's your min/avg/max fps in said games?

PROJECT MOGARCPU: i5 4690k @ 4.9 Ghz CPU CoolerCorsair H100i in Pull on top Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97X-Gaming GT GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming Edition RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum (2x8GB) 2133 Mhz  PSU: EVGA G2 850W SSD: Samsung EVO 840 250 GB HDD: WD Black 1TB Case: Cooler Master CM Storm Scout II

I too am very interested in what games you reach those VRAM numbers.

who cares...

I too am very interested in what games you reach those VRAM numbers.

dying light. I'm reaching 3530mb with my 970 at 1440p

#LinusKitchenTips /// "Better than useless" - Linus Sebastian

LTT Holy bible: Code Of Conduct

Project Toaster [My Silver NCASE M1 V2 Build-log] 

Main Rig
 Case: Fractal Design Define R5 CPU: INTEL 
i5 3570k Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo Mobo: Maximus V Gene Z77 GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming (w/ 0% fan mode) RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 2x8GB 1600mHz Storage: OCZ VERTEX 4 256GB PSU: Corsair AX860 Monitor: ASUS PB278Q 1440p 27" Headphones: QPAD QH-90 Laptop
Macbook Pro Retina 13" i5 256Gb Early 2015
Phone
Oneplus One 64GB Sandstone Black

shadow of mordor and dying light are 2 that spring to mind for eating vram

Gaming PC: • AMD Ryzen 7 3900x • 16gb Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200mhz • Founders Edition 2080ti • 2x Crucial 1tb nvme ssd • NZXT H1• Logitech G915TKL • Logitech G Pro • Asus ROG XG32VQ • SteelSeries Arctis Pro Wireless

Laptop: MacBook Pro M1 512gb

What games are you running?

What details are you using?

What's your min/avg/max fps in said games?

Arma3, Warthunder, Battlefield4

All maxed out except for AA is ussually alittle lower to boost frames.

Min max are around 20 min, and max 80, avg is probably around 40-50

"45 ACP because shooting twice is silly!"

well 90% VRAM usage is about 3.6-3.7GB so youre in the "not safe" zone. If the stuttering is unbearable you might want to take advantage of Nvidias offer and return the cards.you could also try turning down the quality a bit and see if that helps

PROJECT MOGARCPU: i5 4690k @ 4.9 Ghz CPU CoolerCorsair H100i in Pull on top Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97X-Gaming GT GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming Edition RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum (2x8GB) 2133 Mhz  PSU: EVGA G2 850W SSD: Samsung EVO 840 250 GB HDD: WD Black 1TB Case: Cooler Master CM Storm Scout II

while a compromise is something you don't want to do.. here is one lol... knocking shadow quality down in all games from ultra to high or high to medium is one of the easiest way to free up vram other than AA reduction.

I can play bf4 with my 2gb 770 at 4k with medium to high, but if I up the shadows from medium to high it craps a brick and I get like 19fps instead of a 35-50 average.

if you do RMA it either get a 290x spend a bit more and get a 980, depending on your brand loyalty. if there is none go 290x it actually has 4gb of vram and is the same price if not cheaper than the 970

Gaming PC: • AMD Ryzen 7 3900x • 16gb Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200mhz • Founders Edition 2080ti • 2x Crucial 1tb nvme ssd • NZXT H1• Logitech G915TKL • Logitech G Pro • Asus ROG XG32VQ • SteelSeries Arctis Pro Wireless

Laptop: MacBook Pro M1 512gb