Official Nvidia GTX 970 Discussion Thread

A friend of mine runs exactly this scenario. He has 2 Gigabyte G1 GTX970 in stock settings running. He has no VRAM stuttering at all. He plays Star Citizen, Elite Dangerous, Dead Space3 and Arma III most of the time.

Kind of strange that some people seems to struggle and others are fine. But that might as well depends also a bit on the rest of the system I guess.

Intel i7 7820X (delidded) @ 4.9GHz - MSI X299 M7 ACK + EKWB Fullcover Block - G.Skill Trident Z 32GB @ 3466MHz - nVidia Titan Xp + EKWB Fullcover Block @ 2.1GHz - Samsung 960Pro 2x - WDD Blue 2TB - Seasonic 750W Platinum - modded Corsair 600C - Hardtubed Custom Watercooling

970s are bad for high resolutions.

You're really  getting on my nerves lateley. You are everywhere and you splatter your hearsay all over everyone's thread.

970s are still great for higher resolutions. I am getting around 2 GB VRAM in heavily modded skyrim. Just as an example, i know the 970 is slightly damaged and i am very pissed about it but it's still a good card.

who cares...

You're really  getting on my nerves lateley. You are everywhere and you splatter your hearsay all over everyone's thread.

970s are still great for higher resolutions. I am getting around 2 GB VRAM in heavily modded skyrim. Just as an example, i know the 970 is slightly damaged and i am very pissed about it but it's still a good card.

970 are bad for 4k.

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2014/11/19/nvidia_geforce_gtx_970_sli_4k_nv_surround_review

Not my fault the truth annoys you.

I did proper research in the matter and you can see the 290x cfx is a better option.

If you have some kind of proof that 970s are better than a pair of 290x at 4k go ahead.

If you want to disagree with me bring proof to the table , otherwise its useless.

I say that they are bad at 4k since the pair of 290x is quite superior and cheaper.

They are still excellent 1080p and 1440p cards.

qLkizAW.png

970 are bad for 4k.

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2014/11/19/nvidia_geforce_gtx_970_sli_4k_nv_surround_review

I did proper research in the matter and you can see the 290x cfx is a better option.

If you have some kind of proof that 970s are better than a pair of 290x at 4k go ahead.

If you want to disagree with me bring proof to the table , otherwise its useless.

1440p is also considered high res and my 970 works great for exactly that.

#LinusKitchenTips /// "Better than useless" - Linus Sebastian

LTT Holy bible: Code Of Conduct

Project Toaster [My Silver NCASE M1 V2 Build-log] 

Main Rig
 Case: Fractal Design Define R5 CPU: INTEL 
i5 3570k Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo Mobo: Maximus V Gene Z77 GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming (w/ 0% fan mode) RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 2x8GB 1600mHz Storage: OCZ VERTEX 4 256GB PSU: Corsair AX860 Monitor: ASUS PB278Q 1440p 27" Headphones: QPAD QH-90 Laptop
Macbook Pro Retina 13" i5 256Gb Early 2015
Phone
Oneplus One 64GB Sandstone Black

dying light. I'm reaching 3530mb with my 970 at 1440p

That's fine.

Dying Light will max out all available VRAM, but it won't exceed it.

The poor performance in Dying Light is just how the game runs right now.

Lots of modern games will use AVAILABLE VRAM, but that does not mean that they REQUIRE it.

Nvidia has set the 970 in drivers to only use 3.5 GB of VRAM, so as long as you don't see 3.6+ you're fine.  (Which is kind of evidence that they knew about it a long time ago...)

4K // R5 3600 // RTX2080Ti

970 are bad for 4k.

Actually a lot of the people you are shouting your bullshit over are actually using 970s at 4K as their daily drivers. Whatever research you think you've done it cannot compare to actually using this constantly. You'd do well to listen to the experiences of people who actually game at this because you are just wrong, and you're not just wrong you are shouting your bullshit from the rooftops, going out of your way to derail every thread you come across that so much as mentions 970s just to scream misinformation and that is getting fucking irritating as all hell.

Two 290Xs are also a really good solution, but you are painting it as 290Xs being the ONLY solution, and 970s being incapable. You literally just said that they are "bad for 4K" which isn't true.

On topic, the answer to OP's question is "unlikely". The 970's vram is good for 4K, which would be equivalent to 4-way surround.

Actually a lot of the people you are shouting your bullshit over are actually using 970s at 4K as their daily drivers. Whatever research you think you've done it cannot compare to actually using this constantly. You'd do well to listen to the experiences of people who actually game at this because you are just wrong, and you're not just wrong you are shouting your bullshit from the rooftops, going out of your way to derail every thread you come across that so much as mentions 970s just to scream misinformation and that is getting fucking irritating as all hell.

On topic, the answer to OP's question is "unlikely". The 970's vram is good for 4K, which would be equivalent to 4-way surround.

Again if you can prove me otherwise go right ahead.

Unless you can its just a bunch of ad hominems directed at me.

The cheaper pair of 290x usually gets better results at higher resolution.

Anyways i dont want to get into another argument over this , im out.

qLkizAW.png

You realize that skyrim doesn't really require a lot of VRAM in the first place and that it has a horrible load distance for details + textures right?

The Internet is the first thing that humanity has built that humanity doesn't understand, the largest experiment in anarchy that we have ever had.

It's common knowledge that 970's are bad for 4k , linus said so , everyone is saying so , the benchmarks show so. It's a 300$ card for crying out loud. Don't expect it to run 4k @60fps.

CPU : i5-8600k , Motherboard: Aorus Z370 Ultra Gaming , RAM: G.skill Ripjaws 16GB 3200mhz ,GPU : Gigabyte 1070 G1 ,Case: NZXT Noctis 450 ,Storage : Seagate 1TB HDD , Seagate Barracuda 2TB, Samsung 860 EVO 500GB , KINGSTON SHFS37A/240G HYPERX FURY 240GB  , PSU : Corsair RM 750X , Display(s) : LG Flatron W2243S , Dell U2715H , Cooling: Coolermaster Hyper 212x Evo, Keyboard: Coolermaster Rapid-i , Drevo Tyrfing Black , Coolermaster Masterkeys Pro S, Mouse : Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum , Windows 10 

It's common knowledge that 970's are bad for 4k , linus said so , everyone is saying so , the benchmarks show so. It's a 300$ card for crying out loud. Don't expect it to run 4k @60fps.

Usual response: 

"Oh but you can play at 25-30 fps just fine..."

The Internet is the first thing that humanity has built that humanity doesn't understand, the largest experiment in anarchy that we have ever had.

Again if you can prove me otherwise go right ahead.

Unless you can its just a bunch of ad hominems directed at me.

The cheaper pair of 290x usually gets better results at higher resolution.

Anyways i dont want to get into another argument over this , im out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXTtmK81VwY

You're also lying about the 290X being cheaper than the 970.

One gets ~30fps at 4K, two of them get ~60. Performance between the 780, 970, 290X and 980 varies by not very much at all, and I have never experienced the 970's vram to be an issue. The benchmarks between it being released and everyone going ape shit about this never revealed an issue either.

Usual response: 

"Oh but you can play at 25-30 fps just fine..."

In case you'd never heard of it.

Us prices please:

Cheapest 970:

Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GB Video Card  ($319.99 @ Newegg) 
Total: $319.99
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-02-02 12:38 EST-0500

Cheapest 290x:

Video Card: Diamond Radeon R9 290X 4GB Video Card  ($299.99 @ Amazon) 
Total: $299.99
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-02-02 12:38 EST-0500

Get some benchmarks of sli 970 wining against 290x cfx.

All the publications show the contratry.

Btw what do you think @Fate ?

One gets ~30fps at 4K, two of them get ~60. Performance between the 780, 970, 290X and 980 varies by not very much at all, and I have never experienced the 970's vram to be an issue. The benchmarks between it being released and everyone going ape shit about this never revealed an issue either.

post-109492-0-37665800-1422898912.png

Title kinda says it all, Im thinking of RMAing my 970s because of the VRAM issue but I'm not 100% sure its worth it with my setup.  Ive hit 90% Vram usage before ( According to MSI afterburner) not really sure if the stuttering was from the GPU or the games I'm running. 

What do you think? 

Before anyone says it. 4GB 290X's will not help. You need 8GB cards 

Core I7 5960X / Gigabyte X99 SOC Force / Kingston 16GB DDR4 3000 / EVGA GTX 980 Classified's In Quad SLI / EVGA 1600W G2

Core I7 6700K / Asus Z170 Maximus VIII Hero / Corsair 16GB DDR4 3000 / MSI R9 290X Lightning / EVGA 1600W T2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXTtmK81VwY

You're also lying about the 290X being cheaper than the 970.

In case you'd never heard of it.

You are my new hero. You gave a good and pregant answer to that BS talk. :D

who cares...

4GB + 4GB dual gpu cards don't count do they?

4GB + 4GB dual gpu cards don't count do they?

No. You need these

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202129&cm_re=8GB_290X-_-14-202-129-_-Product

Core I7 5960X / Gigabyte X99 SOC Force / Kingston 16GB DDR4 3000 / EVGA GTX 980 Classified's In Quad SLI / EVGA 1600W G2

Core I7 6700K / Asus Z170 Maximus VIII Hero / Corsair 16GB DDR4 3000 / MSI R9 290X Lightning / EVGA 1600W T2

well 90% VRAM usage is about 3.6-3.7GB so youre in the "not safe" zone. If the stuttering is unbearable you might want to take advantage of Nvidias offer and return the cards.you could also try turning down the quality a bit and see if that helps

That's easier said than done. NewEgg rep essentially told me no way in hell because they have benchmarks of the 970 and 980 that say the issue isn't an actual issue. I'll be doing a live chat again today to see if I can get a more understanding/willing rep.

PCPartPicker link: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/R6GTGX

Привет товарищ ))))

Us prices please:

Why the hell should I care what they are priced in one foreign country? I don't live in the US. That in no way affects my purchasing decision.

Maybe sometime in the future, perhaps. Right now the 970s's 4GB is absolutely fine except for a couple of terrible ports (including AC:U) so the standard 290X would be absolutely fine for this too. Which is good, because the 8GB version still costs about £400, which is stupid. 

There is no link associated with that picture. There is no testing methodology, no reference to quality beyond "high", there is no reference to how much AA they are using. All we know is that they are testing what is notorious for being one of the most demanding games in existence at 4K and having it cripple basically every dual GPU solution that you could possibly test it on. If you are claiming this is representative, then your point should be that 290Xs are bad at 4K because if they could be expected to throw out a maximum of 40 fps they wouldn't be doing much better than 970s.

As it is, 970s and 290Xs both perform pretty damned decently the majority of the time.

I'll look into it but I do run an Nvidia Shield so AMD is'nt really in the question unfortuantly...  The card I'm think of replacing it with is 980 SLI.  

"45 ACP because shooting twice is silly!"

I'll look into it but I do run an Nvidia Shield so AMD is'nt really in the question unfortuantly...  The card I'm think of replacing it with is 980 SLI.  

Not going to help. Keep the 970's and turn down the settings 

4GB>3,5GB 

You are my new hero. You gave a good and pregant answer to that BS talk. :D

He was just proven wrong ._. i mean i don't even...

CPU : i5-8600k , Motherboard: Aorus Z370 Ultra Gaming , RAM: G.skill Ripjaws 16GB 3200mhz ,GPU : Gigabyte 1070 G1 ,Case: NZXT Noctis 450 ,Storage : Seagate 1TB HDD , Seagate Barracuda 2TB, Samsung 860 EVO 500GB , KINGSTON SHFS37A/240G HYPERX FURY 240GB  , PSU : Corsair RM 750X , Display(s) : LG Flatron W2243S , Dell U2715H , Cooling: Coolermaster Hyper 212x Evo, Keyboard: Coolermaster Rapid-i , Drevo Tyrfing Black , Coolermaster Masterkeys Pro S, Mouse : Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum , Windows 10 

4GB>3,5GB 

He was just proven wrong ._. i mean i don't even...

Yeah because that whole 500 more mb is going to make such a difference 

Yeah because that whole 500 more mb is going to make such a difference 

Half a gig is still half a gig . If you're gonna argue about the 20£ difference between the 290x and the 970 then i'm gonna argue about the 500MB difference. It's only fair if you think about it.