State of decay refused Classification, What is going on with the ACB?

JaeDee884

Two very anticipated games have been banned in Australia for release, Causing heavy debate between gamnig communities on the (recently introduced) 18+ rating and if its being used accordingly.

With GTAV around the corner, and almost a Guarantee to have violence, sexual references and drugs. will it be the next victim?

http://www.cnet.com.au/state-of-decay-banned-in-australia-developer-339344731.htm

Rig 1 CPU: 3570K Motherboard: V Gene GPU: Power Color r9 280x at 1.35GHZ  RAM: 16 GB 1600mhz PSU: Cougar CMX 700W Storage: 1x Plexor M5S 256GB 1x 1TB HDD 1x 3TB GREEN HDD Case: Coolermaster HAFXB Cooling: Intel Watercooler
"My day so far, I've fixed 4 computers and caught a dog. Australian Tech Industry is weird."

"It's bent so far to the right, It's a hook."

Two very anticipated games have been banned in Australia for release, Causing heavy debate between gamnig communities on the (recently introduced) 18+ rating and if its being used accordingly.

With GTAV around the corner, and almost a Guarantee to have violence, sexual references and drugs. will it be the next victim?

http://www.cnet.com.au/state-of-decay-banned-in-australia-developer-339344731.htm

This is why I won't live in Australia.

Say what you want about the many negatives of the US, but at least my games aren't straight up "banned". 

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

Saints row 4 will be released, cut down , but nevertheless .. Will be able t buy it in Aussie stores.

GamingPC: Intel 4770k CPU, 2xMSI 780 GTX Twin Frozr, 16 GB Corsair Vengeance Pro, Swiftech H220 CPU Cooler.

Cookie Cutter Build log

Say what you want about the many negatives of the US, but at least my games aren't straight up "banned". 

Well, I'll be trying to import these games for PC, and if that doesn't work out, There's always piracy. kind of a grey area, is piracy still piracy if you can't legally obtain it?

I want to pay for  the game, and get all the benefits of a paid game (easy updates, multiplayer and dev support) but if thats not possible, is that acceptable piracy?

Rig 1 CPU: 3570K Motherboard: V Gene GPU: Power Color r9 280x at 1.35GHZ  RAM: 16 GB 1600mhz PSU: Cougar CMX 700W Storage: 1x Plexor M5S 256GB 1x 1TB HDD 1x 3TB GREEN HDD Case: Coolermaster HAFXB Cooling: Intel Watercooler
"My day so far, I've fixed 4 computers and caught a dog. Australian Tech Industry is weird."

Well, I'll be trying to import these games for PC, and if that doesn't work out, There's always piracy. kind of a grey area, is piracy still piracy if you can't legally obtain it?

I want to pay for  the game, and get all the benefits of a paid game (easy updates, multiplayer and dev support) but if thats not possible, is that acceptable piracy?

I would say yes.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

legally speaking, no piracy is piracy rather you can buy it or not. Morally? Depends. Developers are the ones losing out when you pirate and it's not their fault the game is banned, but it's also not a loss of sale because you can't buy it.

I would say yes.

If all else fails, pay for them internationally and then pirate. best of both worlds :p

If all else fails, pay for them internationally and then pirate. best of both worlds :P

Not really best of both worlds if he doesn't get all the features of a legit game :(. Unless you can find the censored files (which is what I did with witcher 2 :P)

Just have a friend who lives in NZ where just about no games are banned. :P

woops wrong place

My PC:

Case: NZXT Phantom 420 | Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H-WB WIFI | PSU: Corsair TX650M | CPU: Intel 3570k | CPU Cooler: Corsair H60 with Corsair SP120s in push pull | GPU: AMD 7970 GV-R797OC-3GD | RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance 4x4GB | SSD: Samsung 830 256GB | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB

Nope instead we just have  the media blame video games every four months, CNN on monday was going on about how  those Light Guns mimic actually using a real gun, which as we all know is total BS

Desktop:ryzen 5 3600 | MSI b45m bazooka | EVGA 650w Icoolermaster masterbox nr400 |16 gb ddr4  corsiar lpx| Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1070ti |500GB SSD+2TB SSHD, 2tb seagate barracuda [OS/games/mass storage] | HpZR240w 1440p led logitech g502 proteus spectrum| Coolermaster quick fire pro cherry mx  brown |

I think I would rather live in a country where a game could be banned for having a shooting in it than a country that I could be killed in by a shooting.

export PS1='\[\033[1;30m\]┌╼ \[\033[1;32m\]\u@\h\[\033[1;30m\] ╾╼ \[\033[0;34m\]\w\[\033[0;36m\]\n\[\033[1;30m\]└╼ \[\033[1;37m\]'

"All your threads are belong to /dev/null"

| 80's Terminal Keyboard Conversion | $5 Graphics Card Silence Mod Tutorial | 485KH/s R9 270X | The Smallest Ethernet Cable | Ass Pennies | My Screenfetch |

I think I would rather live in a country where a game could be banned for having a shooting in it than a country that I could be killed in by a shooting.

I prefer the best of the two worlds :D

I never understood the need for bans and censorship, I grew up playing many violent games (especially doom :D) and other than two or three cases of murder I came out good enough :lol:

that game sucks anyway

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

I never understood the need for bans and censorship, I grew up playing many violent games (especially doom :D) and other than two or three cases of murder I came out good enough :lol:

yeah I know my first game allowed you to throw shurikens to dismember giant humaniod ants, and I only have the urge to decapitate ants occasionally.....:D

Desktop:ryzen 5 3600 | MSI b45m bazooka | EVGA 650w Icoolermaster masterbox nr400 |16 gb ddr4  corsiar lpx| Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1070ti |500GB SSD+2TB SSHD, 2tb seagate barracuda [OS/games/mass storage] | HpZR240w 1440p led logitech g502 proteus spectrum| Coolermaster quick fire pro cherry mx  brown |

this boggles me Why australia will ban a game of this visual. but will sell bdsm dvds and movies that have the same shit in it theres no bloody difference.

not to mention there is suppose to be a 18+ only sold to 18+ of age wth Australia

played all range of games from age of 8. 25 now and i pay my bills work fulltime and live away from home and never had any criminal charge it only depends on the parenting and the personality of the person

i see allot of the next gen titles never making it to Australia's shores, they seem to think anything with graphics will cause social issues among the young, they see computer games as a gateway drug

Character artist in the Games industry.

this boggles me Why australia will ban a game of this visual. but will sell bdsm dvds and movies that have the same shit in it theres no bloody difference.

not to mention there is suppose to be a 18+ only sold to 18+ of age wth Australia

Do tell me where I can find these DVDs *shifty eyes* I have the urge to imitate questionable material and not understand the difference between planned fantasy real life.

^^^^

This is exactly what the government is expecting people who play these game will do.

I dunno about you guys, but the only game I've ever gone and simulated in real life based on experiences in a game was flight simulator 2004. After playing that I went out and learnt to fly.

Let me introduce you to ozgameshop. Happy gaming.

http://www.ozgameshop.com/gaming

Good lucky finding an Xbox Live Arcade game on OzGameShop.

We shouldn't need to source our games internationally to play them unrestricted. 

Whilst I am not advocating censorship or its legitimacy, the difference between a movie and a game is that the game is programed to provide various responses to the players interaction a movie is exactely the same no matter how many times you watch it. This means that a game can be program to reward certain moral choices. This is a basic form of behavioural manipulation, In some people prolonged exposure to behavioural manipulation blurs the lines of reality. We all know it is not like this for everyone, But not everyone has a balanced self esteem.  And for some people allowing this type of interaction is the same as endorsing the behaviour.  If these games were movies then they would, in all likely hood, been approved.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Whilst I am not advocating censorship or its legitimacy, the difference between a movie and a game is that the game is programed to provide various responses to the players interaction a movie is exactely the same no matter how many times you watch it. This means that a game can be program to reward certain moral choices. This is a basic form of behavioural manipulation, In some people prolonged exposure to behavioural manipulation blurs the lines of reality. We all know it is not like this for everyone, But not everyone has a balanced self esteem.  And for some people allowing this type of interaction is the same as endorsing the behaviour.  If these games were movies then they would, in all likely hood, been approved.

Personally, I feel more inclined to learn martial arts after watching a movie with it, then playing a fighting game. This entire argument often flaunted is seriously flawed as different mediums have different effects.

Personally, I feel more inclined to learn martial arts after watching a movie with it, then playing a fighting game. This entire argument often flaunted is seriously flawed as different mediums have different effects.

correct, different effects on different people, I think the problem is that both the argument for no censorship is just as valid as the argument for censorship. This leaves authorities in  a pickle of spot because they have to make a decision and it will legitimately upset one section of the community.  It's not that the argument is flawed but more that the argument on both sides is legit. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Do tell me where I can find these DVDs *shifty eyes* I have the urge to imitate questionable material and not understand the difference between planned fantasy real life.

^^^^

This is exactly what the government is expecting people who play these game will do.

I dunno about you guys, but the only game I've ever gone and simulated in real life based on experiences in a game was flight simulator 2004. After playing that I went out and learnt to fly.

lol your local adult store