Microsoft: Windows 10 will not be sold as a subscription + Windows 10 is free for 7/8.1 users

Will Windows 12 be free for Win10 users? :D

CPU: Intel i5 4570 | Cooler: Cooler Master TPC 812 | Motherboard: ASUS H87M-PRO | RAM: G.Skill 16GB (4x4GB) @ 1600MHZ | Storage: OCZ ARC 100 480GB, WD Caviar Black 2TB, Caviar Blue 1TB | GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 | ODD: ASUS BC-12D2HT BR Reader | PSU: Cooler Master V650 | Display: LG IPS234 | Keyboard: Logitech G710+ | Mouse: Logitech G602 | Audio: Logitech Z506 & Audio Technica M50X | My machine: https://nz.pcpartpicker.com/b/JoJ

Will Windows 12 be free for Win10 users? :D

Hopefully, it's a nice thing that Microsoft are giving away Windows 10.

|CPU: Intel 5960X|MOBO:Rampage V Extreme|GPU:EVGA 980Ti SC 2 - Way SLI|RAM:G-Skill 32GB|CASE:900D|PSU:CorsairAX1200i|DISPLAY :Dell U2412M X3|SSD Intel 750 400GB, 2X Samsung 850 Pro|

Peripherals : | MOUSE : Logitech G602 | KEYBOARD: K70 RGB (Cherry MX Brown) | NAS: Synology DS1515+  - WD RED 3TB X 5|ROUTER: AC68U

Sound : | HEADPHONES: Sennheiser HD800 SPEAKERS: B&W CM9 (Front floorstanding) ,  B&W CM Center 2 (Centre) | AV RECEIVER : Denon 3806 | MY X99 BUILD LOG!

Hopefully, it's a nice thing that Microsoft are giving away Windows 10.

Well, not exactly after a year... 

CPU: Intel i5 4570 | Cooler: Cooler Master TPC 812 | Motherboard: ASUS H87M-PRO | RAM: G.Skill 16GB (4x4GB) @ 1600MHZ | Storage: OCZ ARC 100 480GB, WD Caviar Black 2TB, Caviar Blue 1TB | GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 | ODD: ASUS BC-12D2HT BR Reader | PSU: Cooler Master V650 | Display: LG IPS234 | Keyboard: Logitech G710+ | Mouse: Logitech G602 | Audio: Logitech Z506 & Audio Technica M50X | My machine: https://nz.pcpartpicker.com/b/JoJ

Well, not exactly after a year... 

They are giving it away for free to Windows 7 and 8 users, as long as those users upgrade within 1-year of Windows 10 being released.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

They are giving it away for free to Windows 7 and 8 users, as long as those users upgrade within 1-year of Windows 10 being released.

Yeah, I know.

I hate the look of Windows 7, and love Windows 8/.1/10. Win7 is so hideously skeumorphic, like Android 2.3 1.6 or iOS 4. Win8/.1/10, however, is beautifully minimalistic, like Android 5.0 and a lesser extent iOS 7/8.

initiate flame war. :P It IS true, though. I don't know why everyone hates the Metro UI, it looks great. Can people not adapt?

People just love to complain, let it be.

My PC: i7 3770k @ 4.4 Ghz || Hyper 212 Evo || Intel Extreme Motherboard DZ77GA || EVGA Hybrid 980ti || Corsair Vengeance Blue 16GB || Samsung 840 Evo 120 GB || WD Black 1TB

Peripherals: Corsair K70 RGB || Sentey Pro Revolution Gaming Mouse || Beyerdynamic DT 990 Premium 250 Ohm Headphone || Benq XL2420Z Monitor

Wonder if Surface users will get a free upgrade (Free forever  :D)

Desktop: Intel 4770k - 12GB Vengeance Pro 1866Mhz RAM - Asus Maximus VI Formula Mobo - Asus Strix 970 SLI - Cooler Master V850 PSU -  Nzxt Phantom 630 Case  - 1TB WD HDD - Samsung 840 Evo 250GB SSD - Nzxt Kraken X60 - 24" Asus VG248QE 1080p Monitor - Logitech G35 Headset -  G502 Proteus Core - Logitech G710+ Keyboard - Nzxt Hue - Windows 10

Wonder if Surface users will get a free upgrade (Free forever  :D)

Surface Pro 1, 2, and 3 users will.

Surface RT Tablets will not. They will instead receive a "Windows 8.2" update to give some of the benefits of Windows 10. Looks like Windows RT is seemingly being killed off (Good riddance).

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Agreed, the physical difference is negligible.

Your point in bold however was the meat of my argument. People cannot expect Microsoft to use Apple's business model, because they operate their companies in two completely different ways.

Microsoft would lose significantly more money when giving Windows for free compared to Apple with OS X.

I don't even know how this is an argument to be honest. Apple made their initial fortune as a HARDWARE company and still makes their money from hardware. Microsoft made their money as a SOFTWARE company. It is like comparing Electronic Arts to Nvidia as far as what the company does. The only time MS has got involved with hardware was to promote their software/API. Apple invested heavily in the OS user experience to sell hardware, not because they wanted to sell their OS to all PC's in the world. They could make money selling Imovie on PC's, but that takes value away from their hardware.

Getting everyone on DX 12 is a win for MS, even if they had to give people a free upgrade who were already MS customers. Same thing they are doing with phones/tablets with free licences. They also get everyone on the MS store, which is probably why Apple started giving away their OS upgrades in the first place (everyone on same Apple API/Appstore).  That store is NOT on Windows 7 and that is what most people are running. 

There is literally a ton of things MS can monetize and already does as a service where they would not tick off customers.

-Skype packages/conference stuff

-Office

-First party Games/cross play

-App store, which could turn into a cash cow now that it runs on XB1, Phone, PC. All those silly little programs can make a lot of money, and that is why Apple made their app store.

The initial buy in of 100 bucks has to exist though, because MS makes money on software and Apple makes money on hardware. Also people are going to upgrade their computers. People are going to build min itx HTPC's and buy new PC's (I expect a lot to sell, because people HATED Win 8 when they played with them at the store). Those people are going to be buying Windows 10/Windows 10 machines. The loss of putting everyone on 10 for free that were already customers, is subsidized by getting everyone on the same API for all devices, which allows the app store programs to run on everything, and gets the app store on everyone's machines. 

The fee could possibly lower if they make money from all the other things, but atm the buy in cost needs to be there, because those things are in their infancy. 

My main complaints with MS was

1) API held back on adoption. Addressed.

2) Third Party games made exclusive to XB1. Still up in the air, but if MS stops this? All my complaints are over. They can do whatever the hell they want with first party games, for the same reason Nintendo can, and Sony can. I don't care if Forza EVER comes to PC (even though I would like to play a proper PC port of it). I care that Tomb Raider was delayed on PC. 

CPU:24/7-4770k @ 4.5ghz/4.0 cache @ 1.22V override, 1.776 VCCIN. MB: Z87-G41 PC Mate. Cooling: Hyper 212 evo push/pull. Ram: Gskill Ares 1600 CL9 @ 2133 1.56v 10-12-10-31-T1 150 TRFC. Case: HAF 912 stock fans (no LED crap). HD: Seagate Barracuda 1 TB. Display: Dell S2340M IPS. GPU: Sapphire Tri-x R9 290. PSU:CX600M OS: Win 7 64 bit/Mac OS X Mavericks, dual boot Hackintosh.

OS X is not free. At least, not in the sense that you're talking about (Like Linux). OS X is paid for as part of the hardware cost when you purchase a Mac. It's essentially subsidized by hardware sales.

Now, before you say "Well I can get it for free and do a hackintosh!", sorry, but that's explicitly and specifically against the OS X terms of usage and EULA. It specifically states that OS X must be used on "Apple Hardware".

This is true, I probably should've worded that better. I meant to say the upgrades are free.

Since Microsoft doesn't make computers (Surface Pro aside), they can't do that. How are they supposed to make their money back if you build a computer, and they give you Windows for free? It's not like most of you are going to be purchasing apps in the Microsoft App store, or buying Office.

I actually didn't think of that.

"We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology." ~Carl Sagan

OnePlus One, 64GB Black, Rooted, Oxygen OS 1.0.0
Moto 360, Silver Finish with 22mm Cognac Leather Band, Pascual watchface
iPad with Retina Display (3rd Generation), 16GB, Black, Wifi Only

CPU: Intel i5-4690K CPU Cooler: Stock Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97N WIFI Mini ITX RAM: Kingston Savage 8GB 1866MHz SSD: Sandisk Ultra Plus 256GB HDD: WD Caviar Blue 1TB 7200RPM Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Black GPU: Intel HD Graphics 4600 PSU: Corsair RM450 OS:
Windows 7 Ultimate Windows 8.1 Pro for Students Monitor: Acer K242HL Bhid 1080p 24" Monitor Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue Mouse: Logitech T650

YAY! :D WINDOWS 10 FTW

Ohhhhh thank fuck, I really wasn't looking forward to paying yet another subscription.

Java tuts:

Constructors, possibly more to come.

221 Goodbye.

So does this mean I can upgrade in the first year and then not need to pay for the OS at the end of the year? If so then Thanks MS!

So does this mean I can upgrade in the first year and then not need to pay for the OS at the end of the year? If so then Thanks MS!

Yes

|CPU: Intel 5960X|MOBO:Rampage V Extreme|GPU:EVGA 980Ti SC 2 - Way SLI|RAM:G-Skill 32GB|CASE:900D|PSU:CorsairAX1200i|DISPLAY :Dell U2412M X3|SSD Intel 750 400GB, 2X Samsung 850 Pro|

Peripherals : | MOUSE : Logitech G602 | KEYBOARD: K70 RGB (Cherry MX Brown) | NAS: Synology DS1515+  - WD RED 3TB X 5|ROUTER: AC68U

Sound : | HEADPHONES: Sennheiser HD800 SPEAKERS: B&W CM9 (Front floorstanding) ,  B&W CM Center 2 (Centre) | AV RECEIVER : Denon 3806 | MY X99 BUILD LOG!

Windows 10 will be a free upgrade for Windows 7 and 8.1 users!!

Windows 10 is Just around the corner and it has been announced that for all Windows 7 & 8 users there will be a free upgrade available!

"I am very exited to announce that for the first year after Windows 10 is available we will be making available a free upgrade to devices running; Windows 8.1 and ... Windows Phone 8.1 and... last but not least to all customers still running Windows 7" announced Terry Myerson   (goo.gl/1j6uoV)

It is still unclear how the upgrades will be rolled out and will be subject to certain Hardware requirements. 

Based on numbers from the Windows insider program, Windows 10 is expected to be more largely welcomed by consumers.

Together with our Windows Insiders, we’re well way on our way to making Windows 10 the largest-ever open collaborative development effort Microsoft has ever shipped. Since we launched the Windows Insider Program in September, we’ve been joined by 1.7 million Windows Insiders, who have delivered over 800,000 pieces of feedback. We are truly co-creating the future of Windows with you and we’re humbled by your valuable role in this new open development process. (goo.gl/Slba5I)

r7i1gw5se8wdwsew3x4y.jpg

Sources:

http://techcrunch.com/2015/01/21/microsoft-to-provide-free-upgrades-to-windows-10/

http://blogs.windows.com/bloggingwindows/2015/01/21/the-next-generation-of-windows-windows-10/

http://www.theverge.com/2015/1/21/7866679/windows-10-will-be-a-free-upgrade-for-windows-7-and-8-1-users

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2873214/windows-10-will-be-a-free-upgrade-for-windows-7-and-8-users.html

http://www.computerworld.com/article/2825116/free-at-last-after-windows-10-consumers-wont-pay-for-updates-or-upgrades.html

Just because something doesn’t do what you planned it to do doesn’t mean it’s useless.

–Thomas Edison

I've literally seen the same post 6 times now

CPU: i5-4690k GPU: 280x Toxic PSU: Coolermaster V750 Motherboard: Z97X-SOC RAM: Ripjaws 1x8 1600mhz Case: Corsair 750D HDD: WD Blue 1TB

How to Build A PC|Windows 10 Review Follow the CoC and don't be a scrub~soaringchicken

Windows 10 will be a free upgrade for Windows 7 and 8.1 users for the first year

fify

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

Been posted like a billion times before, but since I'm really happy about it I don't mind being reminded.

STOP THE REPOSTS!

"Instinct or Rationality; Which will you choose? Enchanted by a superiority complex"

"what you do in spite of internet speed is inspiring. :3" From Cae - 2015

Windows 10 will be a free upgrade for Windows 7 and 8.1 users for the first year

fify

That makes it sound like the user only get's it for a year though. As far as I was aware, you just have a year to claim your free copy, much like the way W8 was heavily discounted for the first few months of release. Correct me if I'm wrong?

I know you're new to the forum (welcome by the way), but you really should search this subforum before posting such a hot topic, especially when you consider this IS a tech forum after all.

Honestly, did you think you were the first one to report this? 

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

Mate, you can turn your avatar up the right way now. Everyone is kinda passed the sideways avatar thing now. ;):D

@qwertywarrior

ON A 7 MONTH BREAK FROM THESE LTT FORUMS. WILL BE BACK ON NOVEMBER 5th.

Advisor in the 'Displays' Sub-forum | Sony Vegas Pro Enthusiast & Advisor

Tech Tips Christian Fellowship Founder & Coordinator 

Is Windows 10 preview worth upgrading to from Windows 7?

Just curious.

Intel Core I7 7820X | Asus Rampage VI | Gigabyte RX 580 XTR | 32GB Crucial Ballistix | NZXT Kraken X62

ADATA XPG 256GB PCIe| Cosmos C700P CM | Lepa MaxPlatinum 1050W

Is Windows 10 preview worth upgrading to from Windows 7?

Just curious.

It probably wouldn't be worth doing although if you test using a VM first and check if you like then you can make the choice

Just because something doesn’t do what you planned it to do doesn’t mean it’s useless.

–Thomas Edison

That makes it sound like the user only get's it for a year though. As far as I was aware, you just have a year to claim your free copy, much like the way W8 was heavily discounted for the first few months of release. Correct me if I'm wrong?

ohh umm i didnt think of it that way

not sure which though

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.