How intelligent are you in general? (Be honest!)

Go to solution Solved by kpreg,

Meh, I'm smart and all but not the smartest of my grade. People perceive me as a genius becuase I can build and understand computers. One time i told someone my specs and they thought I was talking in another luanguage, quite literally.

I can read very fast. Speed reading is no more a myth than speed walking. It does mean comprehension takes a hit but the amount usually isn't much and if it is, you're just skimming and pretending to speed read.

I am a very good reader, and all that means for me is that I can skim web pages faster, and I get to spend a lot of time not looking at the subtitles in anime. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

There's a handful of people with an IQ higher than me. I grasp concepts such as calculus within minutes if taught, languages come easy to me, spatial thinking is regular, when I read a book to get the information I can go through a thousand pages in two hours, etc.

My downfall is that I am lazy and I don't try to keep my memory up.

I'm the same way, show me how to do it and I'll get it right every time.

I just didn't give a flying f*#K during school, and school bored me! Hell got accepted into MIT but was too costly for me to go(not going 100+ thousand in debt for something that can not guarantee me a job).

I also do not learn conventionally, if a teacher tries to teach me I'm like wtf?! but I go read a book and I freaking get it!

Also IQ tests are bad because they're generalized, learn what's on it and anyone can get a perfect score so... no I don't believe in IQ tests.

I'd say I'm above the idiots!

I'm Batman!

Steam: Rukiri89 | uPlay: Rukiri89 | Origin: XxRukiriXx | Xbox LIVE: XxRUKIRIxX89 | PSN: Ericks1989 | Nintendo Network ID: Rukiri

Project Xenos: Motherboard: MSI Z170a M9 ACK | CPU: i7 6700k | Ram: G.Skil TridentZ 16GB 3000mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 850w G2 | Case: Caselabs SMA8 | Cooling: Custom Loop | Still in progress 

I can read very fast. Speed reading is no more a myth than speed walking. It does mean comprehension takes a hit but the amount usually isn't much and if it is, you're just skimming and pretending to speed read.

My apologies, what I meant was the average person being able to learn to "Speed Read" through Speed Reading courses is a myth.

If you're interested in Speed Reading this is an interesting link: http://skeptoid.com/episodes/4229

"I try to put good out into the world...that way I can believe it's out there." --CKN                  “How people treat you is their karma; how you react is yours.” --Wayne Dyer            

[Needs Updating] My PC: i5-10600K @TBD / 32GB DDR4 @4000MHz / Z490 AORUS Elite AC / Titan RTX / Samsung 1TB 960 Evo / EVGA SuperNova 850 T2

I'm the same way, show me how to do it and I'll get it right every time.

I just didn't give a flying f*#K during school, and school bored me! Hell got accepted into MIT but was too costly for me to go(not going 100+ thousand in debt for something that can not guarantee me a job).

I also do not learn conventionally, if a teacher tries to teach me I'm like wtf?! but I go read a book and I freaking get it!

Also IQ tests are bad because they're generalized, learn what's on it and anyone can get a perfect score so... no I don't believe in IQ tests.

I'd say I'm above the idiots!

I believe this too. When I was young I was IQ tested. 135.

I assure you, I am not the sharpest knife in the drawer. 

Intelligence has so much more to it than simple problem solving skills. I got into computers because I'm very good at problem solving. I got a high IQ score for the same reason likely. Does not make me smart, doesn't make those bad at problem solving stupid. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

Speed reading is a myth. Scanning is one thing but generally speaking, faster reading means poorer comprehension http://skeptoid.com/episodes/4229

I tried to learn to speed read for years and came to the same conclusion: I'm a slow reader.

That's more what it is - if I rush something I'll not fully understand it.

That's more what it is - if I rush something I'll not fully understand it.

There are some texts that nearly everyone would have absolutely no hope of reading without close and slow study, comparison, contrast, re-reading etc.. It's also possible to write texts specifically to be "speed read".

More or less anyone can improve their personal reading skills with practice, unless they're already at their limit. When I was studying writing I got to the point where I started reading books sideways and upside-down just to keep things interesting, but that's when I was reading more or less all day every day. My spelling also improved greatly but when I got out of practice I even reverted back to my old spelling habits (I guess because the wider registers didn't make it into my long-term memory (although there's a chance that could be purely down to habit from forum posting combined with a phonetic approach to writing etc. (I touch type looking at the screen and after we studied concrete poetry I developed a habit of amending the cursor bar to create letters, so that when I moved the cursor bar, the part of the word it was covering would be incomplete and have an incorrect letter in place (precisely the letter I'd need in addition to the cursor bar to form the letter I'd need to make the word look how it should look). The brain is a very complex thing))).

"I try to put good out into the world...that way I can believe it's out there." --CKN                  “How people treat you is their karma; how you react is yours.” --Wayne Dyer            

[Needs Updating] My PC: i5-10600K @TBD / 32GB DDR4 @4000MHz / Z490 AORUS Elite AC / Titan RTX / Samsung 1TB 960 Evo / EVGA SuperNova 850 T2

I'm in one of the top UK universitys so I guess that says something.

I don't think of myself as a genius though.

I was smart enough to be able to get through high school without really ever studying (or almost). I was never able to find an iq test that I thought was reliable and to be perfectly honest I couldn't bother searching better.

I also learn new stuff really fast, to the point where I can watch someone do something for the first time and do it almost just as well right afterwards (if it's not something that requires a lot of practice). Usually I'm also really good at taking long concepts and summarizing them in a couple of sentences (which is how I learn things, I summarize them to the bare essentials and remember those).

My big weakness are concentration issues. Unless whan I'm doing REALLY interests me (in which case I'll dump hours on end on it) after some time I just start thinking about other things and can't focus on what I'm doing anymore. At that point I pretty much have to take a break (no work would be acoomplished anyway) and sometimes I can't get around to continuing what I was doing until the next day.

I'm very likely not genius level, but I would consider myself above average.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

That's not how average works. We now know where you stand.  :lol:

post-216-0-72823800-1421769323.png

I guess not many people here have heard of Lake Wobegon.

You remind me of myself. Your English is excellent and your writing is very lucid, so I'd say you definitely have to have at least some kind or type of intelligence.

Have you considered you might have depression? Antidepressant medication helps with cognitive function and can make you feel happier and therefore more enthusiastic about things (like studying etc.) which can improve overall results.  

If you really like the English language maybe that's what you should pursue? Maybe you could be an interpreter (your English and your lucidity with English is excellent).

My intelligence level is comparable to a rock. I'm stupid at school / work, I'm stupid in life, only knowledgeable in few things. When it comes down to for example school subjects: in math, biology and such I'm rather horrible, I used to be good in physics and chemistry, but due to more math brought into them makes me bad in them as well, history is okay, I could say I do well in languages that I'm actually interested in (English), but couldn't care less about the rest (Swedish).

I'm lazy, and that's why I'm not good at anything, except those things that I'm actually interested in. If I wee to take an IQ test, my score would be rather low (at least lower than average, that's for sure).

Socially I am horrible: whenever I try to socialize I say or do something awkward or socially unacceptable, people look at me with weird looks, and I prefer to avoid facing problems with people so that I don't have to deal with them. Those are some of the reasons why I have some contacts on the internet, but IRL I'm mostly alone.

In short: I'm a a mentally retarded dumbass who does nothing good for the society, and would be better off to let rot away.

EDIT: Oh, and concentration? For things I'm genuinely interested in (like anything computer related), I can concentrate well, but for anything else I can't concentrate for sh*t. Heck, even staring at a plain white wall becomes more interesting than studying something I couldn't care less about.

Hey hey hey, you can write perfect English, how are you dumb? I would call you uninterested rather in things you don't like.

You remind me of myself. Your English is excellent and your writing is very lucid, so I'd say you definitely have to have at least some kind or type of intelligence.

Have you considered you might have depression? Antidepressant medication helps with cognitive function and can make you feel happier and therefore more enthusiastic about things (like studying etc.) which can improve overall results. 

If you really like the English language that much maybe that's what you should pursue? Maybe you could be an interpreter (your English and your lucidity with English is excellent).

Meh. I do make a lot of mistakes when writing English (never get perfect scores from essays for that reason). I just think negatively about myself, but I try to think realistically about everyone, but end up being realistic only for others, but myself.

I did have depression earlier in my life. Not sure if I have now, but when I was 12 - 14 I used to have self-harming and suicidal thoughts (the cause is bullying since I was 6 years old. The same guys are still bullying me in this village just for their own fun, and they haven't changed one bit: there the same assholes as they were kids, but now with drivers licences). It has since been fixed with few years of speech therapy. I'm more realistic thinking about stuff, but still I'm a little more negative than positive.

And I'm not that good in English. A lot of students in our school get better results, and I don't usually pay attention in class (like when learning about grammar: that stuff has already been in middle school, and while I don't remember even half of the grammatical rules, I know if a text is written incorrectly, as it just sounds awkward to be English). Still though, I get somewhat good grades, could get better if I put up some actual effort, though...

Hey hey hey, you can write perfect English, how are you dumb? I would call you uninterested rather in things you don't like.

Compared to others I'm dumb as a rock in most of the things (in my opinion). And yeah, I'm either obsessed with something or completely uninterested in something. No idea about a middle ground.

And the reason why my English is good here is that I actually take time to read it all in my head so that it doesn't sound stupid language-wise and not just write something real quick and post it without looking at it, as that could bother grammar nazis for example.

Never trust my advice. Only take any and all advice from me with a grain of salt. Just a heads up.

Meh. I do make a lot of mistakes when writing English (never get perfect scores from essays for that reason). I just think negatively about myself, but I try to think realistically about everyone, but end up being realistic only for others, but myself.

I did have depression earlier in my life. Not sure if I have now, but when I was 12 - 14 I used to have self-harming and suicidal thoughts (the cause is bullying since I was 6 years old. The same guys are still bullying me in this village just for their own fun, and they haven't changed one bit: there the same assholes as they were kids, but now with drivers licences). It has since been fixed with few years of speech therapy. I'm more realistic thinking about stuff, but still I'm a little more negative than positive.

And I'm not that good in English. A lot of students in our school get better results, and I don't usually pay attention in class (like when learning about grammar: that stuff has already been in middle school, and while I don't remember even half of the grammatical rules, I know if a text is written incorrectly, as it just sounds awkward to be English). Still though, I get somewhat good grades, could get better if I put up some actual effort, though...

Compared to others I'm dumb as a rock in most of the things (in my opinion). And yeah, I'm either obsessed with something or completely uninterested in something.

And the reason why my English is good here is that I actually take time to read it all in my head so that it doesn't sound stupid language-wise and not just write something real quick and post it without looking at it, as that could bother grammar nazis for example.

The bullies are the problem then...

Could we murder them or something? :D

Stephen Hawking. 

What is your I.Q.?

I have no idea. People who boast about their I.Q. are losers.

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/12/12/magazine/12QUESTIONS.html

I have always wondered why people see it as necessary to say their IQ. Intelligence isn't measured by IQ score alone. 

What do they know of England, who only England know?

"Well that's what I always said I wanted to be remembered for, for being honest. Nothing else is worth a damn"

The bullies are the problem then...

Could we murder them or something? :D

Now only if I could do what without getting into any legal trouble... I'm messed up enough in my head that if I could kill them without getting to face any consequences, there would be a teenager in my home village running around with a bloody Wakizashi... :lol:

But since I know the consequences for that would be insane, I will not do it. I'll just rather obey the law than sit in jail for decades doing nothing.

Never trust my advice. Only take any and all advice from me with a grain of salt. Just a heads up.

Stephen Hawking. 

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/12/12/magazine/12QUESTIONS.html

I have always wondered why people see it as necessary to say their IQ. Intelligence isn't measured by IQ score alone. 

Because they feel diminished by it.

Now only if I could do what without getting into any legal trouble... I'm messed up enough in my head that if I could kill them without getting to face any consequences, there would be a teenager in my home village running around with a bloody Wakizashi... :lol:

But since I know the consequences for that would be insane, I will not do it. I'll just rather obey the law than sit in jail for decades doing nothing.

Report it to somebody or move away. Do SOMEthing, you can't let them bully you

I got away from the people who did that to me but it wasn't easy and now I spend all of my time alone. The thing is, everywhere you go you'll meet people like that, and they're generally good at figuring out the people who'll let them treat them that way, so you have to find a way of dealing with them.

Edit: But if you're in an isolated community, and the only support group you have are mistreating you, I say make it your five year plan to move to a bigger town.

I have no idea. The obvious bias of being myself means I am incapable of judging that. Also, I could be dumb as a brick and it wouldn't matter a bit to what I want out of life.

Current System: Corsair Graphite 760T White/ Asus X99-S / Intel Core i7 5820K / Corsair H100i GTX / EVGA Titan X SuperClocked / HyperX Fury 4x8GB 2666mhz DDR4/ Corsair AX1500i / Intel 750 PCIe SSD 400gb / Samsung Evo 840 500gb / WD Green 4TB x2 / WD Green 3TB /  OCZ Agility 3 120gb

I have no idea. The obvious bias of being myself means I am incapable of judging that. Also, I could be dumb as a brick and it wouldn't matter a bit to what I want out of life.

What do you want out of life that could be so simply achieved?

What they are doing is legal. In schools people say bullying is illegal (even police officers visiting schools do say that), but in reality police wouldn't give a single f*ck about it.

Moving away... I would like to, but jobs are scarce, and I'm still a full-time student. I have no other choice financially other than staying in home. So I just have to deal with it somehow, and that is to move on the streets at hours they usually won't.

Personally, I don't think I'm a genius, but intelligent non the less. My main issue is a lack of concentration and being easily distracted, meaning I fail to revise for exams properly, so I've gone from being a straight A student to fighting for C grades at the moment.

PCs

Spoiler
Spoiler

Branwen (2015 build) - CPU: i7 4790K GPU:EVGA GTX 1070 SC PSU: XFX XTR 650W RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX fury Motherboard: MSI Z87 MPower MAX AC SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB + Crucial MX300 1TB  Case: Silverstone RV05 Cooler: Corsair H80i V2 Displays: AOC AGON AG241QG & BenQ BL2420PT Build log: link 

Spoiler

Netrunner (2020 build) - CPU: AMD R7 3700X GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 (from 2015 build) PSU: Corsair SF600 platinum RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix RGB 3600Mhz cl16 Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus X570i pro wifi SSD: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB Case: Lian Li TU150W black Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock Slim

The lowest IQ test result I've ever gotton was 119, my highest was 133. Haven't taken one in several years, though.

I wouldn't classify myself as a genius, though I am above average. I have a problemwith procrastination and my Biology (which is hate) grades are dipping because of it... Yet I don't really care, because, after all, I hate it.

"We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology." ~Carl Sagan

OnePlus One, 64GB Black, Rooted, Oxygen OS 1.0.0
Moto 360, Silver Finish with 22mm Cognac Leather Band, Pascual watchface
iPad with Retina Display (3rd Generation), 16GB, Black, Wifi Only

CPU: Intel i5-4690K CPU Cooler: Stock Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97N WIFI Mini ITX RAM: Kingston Savage 8GB 1866MHz SSD: Sandisk Ultra Plus 256GB HDD: WD Caviar Blue 1TB 7200RPM Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Black GPU: Intel HD Graphics 4600 PSU: Corsair RM450 OS:
Windows 7 Ultimate Windows 8.1 Pro for Students Monitor: Acer K242HL Bhid 1080p 24" Monitor Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue Mouse: Logitech T650

I'd put myself a somewhere above average. It depends on when you ask me though.

Ask me on a non-school day and I'll say 'just a tab above average'. Ask me when I come back from a typical school day, and I'll say "I'm either brilliant or I'm surrounded by ****ing idiots".

Intelligence is relative.

"Normandy" i7 4790K - GTX 970 - Phantom 410 (Gun metal) - Z97 Extreme4 (asrock) - 128GB Crucial SSD - 1TB WD HDD - H60 Refurb. - 7 case fans | G710+ Keyboard, G230 Headset, Acer GN246HL Monitor.

Quick thoughts on system: I7 is extremely quick and I'm glad I spent the extra for hyper-threading. I regret my decision to get the GTX 970, it has horrible coil whine. There isn't any excuse for this terrible whine I and others are having. I HIGHLY recommend a 144hz monitor. Future Improvements/upgrades: Rubber fan mounts, basic speakers, more ram (for a total of 16gb), replace GPU.

144hz is love. 144hz is life. I like to submit unfinished posts then do about 20 edits. I like the Night Theme too.

What they are doing is legal. In schools people say bullying is illegal (even police officers visiting schools do say that), but in reality police wouldn't give a single f*ck about it.

Moving away... I would like to, but jobs are scarce, and I'm still a full-time student. I have no other choice financially other than staying in home. So I just have to deal with it somehow, and that is to move on the streets at hours they usually won't.

Dude, seriously, that's no way to live. I say make it your five year plan because you can achieve a lot in five years. I'd say look at your studies as a possible way out of that situation. Look to the future and make your future a different town with more and different people.

Also, I'm pretty sure you'd do well to visit your doctor and explain your unhappiness etc. you wouldn't believe the difference the proper medical treatment/attention can make to depression and it seems you'd definitely benefit from it. Just my opinion.