Linus and the word "basically"

Opzon

Its better than the regular "uuhhh" or "uummmm". And it does make more sense than not saying anything to think.

Interested in Business and Technology

Most of the time its used, it doesn't need to be there. 

"Basically they got slammed with a 600k fine". They were fined. You don't need "basically"

Well basically, basically means that basically it underlines what "this" means.

After following a lot of Youtube personalities, I think it becomes pretty apparent that people have favored phrases and mannerisms that can get annoying.  However, it is only because I consume so much of their content that it becomes noticeable.  I, for one, don't mind Linus's use of "basically", and think his delivery is polished enough to be feel inviting and professional.

"basically" is roughly equivalent to "tldr"

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

Its better than the regular "uuhhh" or "uummmm". And it does make more sense than not saying anything to think.

This.

I do it to buy time and think. It's better than a lot of alternatives.

If I don't know what I'm going to say next I will stretch out the sentence I'm saying.

If you notice me saying basically on WAN show then you've probably noticed that the habit isn't present in our scripted content ;p

I have complained about this in the past. I'd love if someone would make video where Luke is using one of his "really, really, really" -lines and bg music would be Spice Girls - Wannabe. That kind of overuse of word is still funny more than annoying. But overusing word "cool" is annoying. You can read my comment somewhere in Sennheiser video tour topic about it.

But as pro, every well known personality needs his/hers favorite word. You know, "Like" for Day[9] and "actually" for TobiWan.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

This.

If I don't know what I'm going to say next I will stretch out the sentence I'm saying.

If you notice me saying basically on WAN show then you've probably noticed that the habit isn't present in our scripted content ;p

I agree, It is better than other alternatives and I have noticed "basically" isn't present on scripted content. The only reason "basically" hits me more than anything (unless an alternative is said a TRUCK TON and easily noticed) is because I listen to a radio show where they have callers call in and ring a bell any time someone says "basically". As stated before,  you can say it a bagillion times and I will still watch the greatest 1hr shows on youtube. I just wanted to point it out. 

2. Basically their good guys..... ~47:20

They're*

So many things I could write here... things like this.

@Opzon are u a gramma nazi, league of legends player and generaly a person who must complain?

Not everybody is perfect like u and even coming up with an idea about making a vjdeo abkut it is getting too far.

Basically, what i am trying to say is, u are insane.

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

So you're basically complaining about the word basically?

The word just works man, move along.

I'm Batman!

Steam: Rukiri89 | uPlay: Rukiri89 | Origin: XxRukiriXx | Xbox LIVE: XxRUKIRIxX89 | PSN: Ericks1989 | Nintendo Network ID: Rukiri

Project Xenos: Motherboard: MSI Z170a M9 ACK | CPU: i7 6700k | Ram: G.Skil TridentZ 16GB 3000mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 850w G2 | Case: Caselabs SMA8 | Cooling: Custom Loop | Still in progress 

This.

so, basically, you are making excuses? 

I kid

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

What's wrong with that word? The WAN show is unscripted, and rarely are people extremely fluent to the point of not needing to use filler words like "uhh" and "umm" to gather thoughts and think of what to say next; that's what happens in the heat of the moment. 

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

I used to work for a company and there was one guy who worked there who would say "In theory" quite a bit, like "in theory, you are correct" or "In theory, I'll be here at 9am tomorrow." There was another guy that worked there who just about pulled his hair out whenever the guy said "in theory." It was good times  :), at the expense of the hair pulling guy that is.

basically, It's a pre-amble that's compressed into a word or short phrase to describe the context of what you're going to say.

in the case of basically, you're basically trying to get across that what you are about to say is going to be abridged, as opposed to complex and drawn out. it stops a person from tuning you out if they think you are going to take longer than 10 seconds to explain something.... basically.

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

What's wrong with that word? The WAN show is unscripted, and rarely are people extremely fluent to the point of not needing to use filler words like "uhh" and "umm" to gather thoughts and think of what to say next; that's what happens in the heat of the moment. 

Nothing is wrong with the word, but it can become a pet peeve to hear some one repeat the same thing over and over and over and over and over.. and.. oh. 

I work with a few people that repeatedly say "you know" when they talk probably every other sentence.  [no exaggeration]  It's not offensive, but it's a bit annoying and it seems to be contagious. 

Sort of like the Yogscast and "The thing is" in the Yogpod

RIP Yogpod. We'll never forget you.

wait what happened to yogscast? I used to watch them

Are you new? Please read CoC  Before posting! PLEASE SELECT 'AUTOMATIC' FOR FONT COLOR FOR US DARK THEME USERS (Only for dark shades)If you can read this, it means you need to change to NIGHT THEME (bottom left above LMG logo) Please follow your threads and Quote people when replying to them. Mark your problem as solved if answered. Don't spam, nobody likes a spammer. DO NOT QUOTE IMAGES! BE NICE!

Nothing is wrong with the word, but it can become a pet peeve to hear some one repeat the same thing over and over and over and over and over.. and.. oh. 

I work with a few people that repeatedly say "you know" when they talk probably every other sentence.  [no exaggeration]  It's not offensive, but it's a bit annoying and it seems to be contagious. 

We all have our individual quirks and idiosyncrasies--so what. 

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

We all have our individual quirks and idiosyncrasies--so what. 

"So what"?   You asked a question, I answered it.  That's what.  :)

"So what"?   You asked a question, I answered it.  That's what.   :)

I bet if someone picked you apart and analyzed you that they'd find nothing peculiar, right? :)

Of course it would be right.

"Basically their good guys". Saying "Their good guys" instead of having "basically" in their is a (lack of a better word) "right" sentence.

Basically, it's "They're good guys." But, ya know, basic grammar and the internet don't get along well...

50Cent sweg.

wait what happened to yogscast? I used to watch them

THey're fine, making pretty meh videos. Yogpod died over a year ago though :(