games that go well with a gamepad

callmecars

so since I'm only now coming into the PC gaming scene after growing up some RTS PC games, but with mostly the PS1, 2, and 3.

I feel like I'll still want to have that console experience with some games, examples would be with fighting games, 3rd person games, and racing games.

leaving RTS, First Person, and whatever other games optimized for PC playing (from the top of my head) as the games that I'd play purely with the beloved mouse and keyboard.

so I just want to know what games play nice and smooth with a gamepad? specifically the sixaxis controller for the PS3 since that's the latest one I have lying around here, and if possible also please provide instructions on how to get it working. here on my laptop, I tried to play the first witcher game, hoping it would be playable with a gamepad, but I couldn't find out how to make it work though...

There are more genres than that aha.

As for your question about the PS3 Controller, in order to get it to work on your PC you have to use third party software like Motionjoy to make it work and XPadder to map the controls on the gamepad to key presses and mouse movement.

PS3 controller + windows = pain in the ass.

In my experience it pays off to get an Xbox 360 controller, simple plug & play.

It totally depends on the genre really, and also whether it's competitive or not.

For first person shooters, you'd do well to get used to mouse and keyboard due to the better accuracy. At first, there could be a scenario where you do better with a controller, but that's simply a case of not being used to using a M+K in shooters. You just need to get a feel for it. In almost every situation, a M+K player is going to be in a superior position to a controller player.

For third person shooters, it's the same case, although sometimes I prefer using a controller if there's no competitive elements. For example, I'd prefer playing a game like Last of Us or Uncharted with a controller rather than M+K (if they were on PC to begin with, of course). Then again, games like MGS: Ground Zeroes work better with M+K. It really depends.

For RTS/MOBAs/MMOs, of course a M+K is essentially required, and a better choice. I know some MMOs actually have controller support, and yet I've never seen one MMO where a controller is ideal to use.

For platformers, a controller wins every time in my opinion. Especially for 3D platformers.

For racers, I'd say a controller is better (or ideally, a wheel but not everyone has one).

For fighters, a controller is better than a M+K, but a fight stick beats them both. I don't think I've ever seen a proper competitive Street Fighter player use a keyboard.

And then there are individual cases. The Souls games are awful with a M+K, and so a controller is pretty much a must. I prefer controllers with those types of games anyway.

Really it all comes down to preference though.

if you want a good laugh, get this game

battleblock theatre (best played drunk or with friends, your choice) 

gonna leave this here

ITX Monster: CPU: I5 4690K GPU: MSI 970 4G Mobo: Asus Formula VI Impact RAM: Kingston 8 GB 1600MHz PSU: Corsair RM 650 SSD: Crucial MX100 512 GB HDD: laptop drive 1TB Keyboard: logitech G710+ Mouse: Steelseries Rival Monitor: LG IPS 23" Case: Corsair 250D Cooling: H100i

Mobile: Phone: Broken HTC One (M7) Totaly Broken OnePlus ONE Samsung S6 32GB  :wub:  Tablet: Google Nexus 7 2013 edition

360 controllers have godawful d-pads is the issue.

So far I'm loving the PS4 controller on a PC. It's pretty much plug and play as long as you have the DS4 drivers.

Sonic games, racing games, *Mubles something about emulating..*

Anyways, you could use Motionjoy for it.

It's not the best, but it's free and 'easy' to set up

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Castle Crashers...

Just Cause 2...

Borderlands games - I think.

Hitman: Absolution

Walking Dead games

Mirror's Edge

Just to name a few. Also, getting a 360 gamepad is worth it.

Sig under construction.

So far I'm loving the PS4 controller on a PC. It's pretty much plug and play as long as you have the DS4 drivers.

Xbone D-Pads are considerable better (than 360), though if the D-Pad is a major concern a Wii-U Classic Controller would probably be best since NIntendo makes the best D-Pads.

You can make windows recognise the PS3 controller as an XBOX controller, which then makes it plug and play. It's what I do, trouble is my controller is dying and sometimes randomly signalling I'm pressing a button when I'm pressing a different button.

Razer Sabertooth has a better D-pad imo. The whole controller just feels better overall in comparison.

so I just want to know what games play nice and smooth with a gamepad?

Generally any games that involve piloting an aircraft/spacecraft or driving a car. In my opinion, some form of analog control is a must-have for those, even if it's just an ordinary twin stick gamepad. You'd probably want to use it for fighting games and some 2D side-scrollers. Third-person games like the Batman: Arkham series are supposed to work better with a gamepad, but having tried both I still prefer my mouse and keyboard for those.

I've got an Xbone controller (really like that clicky D-pad), so I'm afraid I can't help with the PS3 controller setup.

but I just got so used with playstation controllers my whole life... how about if I buy a dualshock 4?

so since I'm only now coming into the PC gaming scene after growing up some RTS PC games, but with mostly the PS1, 2, and 3.

I feel like I'll still want to have that console experience with some games, examples would be with fighting games, 3rd person games, and racing games.

leaving RTS, First Person, and whatever other games optimized for PC playing (from the top of my head) as the games that I'd play purely with the beloved mouse and keyboard.

so I just want to know what games play nice and smooth with a gamepad? specifically the sixaxis controller for the PS3 since that's the latest one I have lying around here, and if possible also please provide instructions on how to get it working. here on my laptop, I tried to play the first witcher game, hoping it would be playable with a gamepad, but I couldn't find out how to make it work though...

I came from being a console gamer to pc gamer last year, got rid of my ps4 and the transition has been fairly easy.

First thing i did though was get used to mouse/keyboard in most games and then bought a controller.

Games i play with a controller are

some third person games, gta, watch dogs and dead rising 3.

Some other third person games are better with mouse, warframe or dayz etc.

Racing games such as grid, dirt and burnout etc all work well with controller. Just bought The Crew yesterday and it works really well with a controller.

Various indie games work great with a controller.

Just try to keep fps games to mouse and keyboard otherwise you will be at a disadvantage.

I use an Xbox ONE controller.

I7 4790K-----ASUS Z97-A-----GTX 1080-----CORSAIR H105-----CORSAIR VENGEANCE PRO 16GB-----ASUS PG278Q-----LOGITECH G900-----MASTERKEYS PRO L-----Sennheiser GSX 1000

if you want a good laugh, get this game

battleblock theatre (best played drunk or with friends, your choice) 

gonna leave this here

damn I'll keep this game in mind and will definitely buy it when I get my PC! although I don't know if it can run at 1,000,000,000p and 21,000 frames per milisecond

but I just got so used with playstation controllers my whole life... how about if I buy a dualshock 4?

PS3 controller is really easy to set up on PC, just takes a small while.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

I came from being a console gamer to pc gamer last year, got rid of my ps4 and the transition has been fairly easy.

First thing i did though was get used to mouse/keyboard in most games and then bought a controller.

Racing games such as grid, dirt and burnout etc all work well with controller. Just bought The Crew yesterday and it works really well with a controller.

Just try to keep fps games to mouse and keyboard otherwise you will be at a disadvantage.

but are some 3rd person PC exclusive games (like witcher 1) playable with a gamepad?

aw man why did you change from a PS4 controller to an Xbone controller?

PS3 controller is really easy to set up on PC, just takes a small while.

the problem I have is its compatibility with some games, like I can set it up in motioninjoy but sometimes some games freak out or something when I have the controller on

the problem I have is its compatibility with some games, like I can set it up in motioninjoy but sometimes some games freak out or something when I have the controller on

What are you emulating the PS3 controller to be? If you emulate it as an Xbox 360 controller, it will work in like 90% of the games.

Just because a lot of the games support 360 controllers.

Grand Theft Auto V ............... IF IT DIDN'T GET DELAYED

PC Specs   - Black and White Build

Intel Core i5 4690k MSI Z97S Krait LGA 1150

Crucial Ballistix Sport 1x8GB 1600MHZ

Sapphire Radeon R9 270 (Will be upgrading this soon)

EVGA 500W PSU

Phanteks Enthoo Pro - White

aw man why did you change from a PS4 controller to an Xbone controller?

I sold my ps4, and i know a ps4 controller can be made to work on pc but i like the fact that the xbox one controller is supported natively and can just be plugged in and played.

Also the correct buttons are displayed on screen for example when a game tells you to press A it will show the green controller button "A".

In regards to the witcher 1 i'm not to sure.

But the new witcher coming out will almost certainly  have controller support for sure. 

I7 4790K-----ASUS Z97-A-----GTX 1080-----CORSAIR H105-----CORSAIR VENGEANCE PRO 16GB-----ASUS PG278Q-----LOGITECH G900-----MASTERKEYS PRO L-----Sennheiser GSX 1000

Battleblock Theater

Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons

LIMBO

Never Alone

Rayman Legends

Sonic Generations

Spy Chameleon

Valiant Hearts: The Great War