games that go well with a gamepad

callmecars

I use mine for racing games and platformers thats about it really :) good investment if you like to couch game too but I just find trying to look in first person with a analogue stick too jerky. 

but I just got so used with playstation controllers my whole life... how about if I buy a dualshock 4?

I say this as someone who has used a ps3 xb360 xbo and ps4 razer sabertooth controler on my PC ...if you NEED wireless...go DS4 if its not an issue go xbo

You say you are used to playstation controlers...see this might screw you more then you realize pretty much all games are gonna give you xb360 button promts ABXY...so unless you know them you are gonna struggle, I would say you are better off getting an xb con of some type to so you have a clear reference of what is what.

Oh...some games even with emulation software will just throw a hissy fit over trying to be controled with an xb controler the only contolers I have found with compatability with everything was my xb360,m the xbo has had one game fail. 

ps3 and ps4 failed a reasonable amount not a ton mind you but it happens. Even my sabertooth has failed a few times..and that is approved to work on a 360.

System Specs

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x | Mobo: Gigabyte B550i Aorus Pro AX | RAM: Hyper X Fury 3600 64gb | GPU: Nvidia FE 4090 | Storage: WD Blk SN750 NVMe - 1tb, Samsung 860 Evo - 1tb, WD Blk - 6tb/5tb, WD Red - 10tb | PSU:Corsair ax860 | Cooling: AMD Wraith Stealth  Displays: 55" Samsung 4k Q80R, 24" BenQ XL2420TE/XL2411Z & Asus VG248QE | Kb: K70 RGB Blue | Mouse: Logitech G903 | Case: Fractal Torrent RGB | Extra: HTC Vive, Fanatec CSR/Shifters/CSR Elite Pedals w/ Rennsport stand, Thustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Track IR5,, ARCTIC Z3 Pro Triple Monitor Arm | OS: Win 10 Pro 64 bit

the problem I have is its compatibility with some games, like I can set it up in motioninjoy but sometimes some games freak out or something when I have the controller on

http://forums.pcsx2.net/Thread-XInput-Wrapper-for-DS3-and-Play-com-USB-Dual-DS2-Controller

I used that. Just install and none of that enabling drivers crap motioninjoy needs (that's what i last remember. Don't know if it still needs that.) Works with any game that supports controllers since it basically emulates the x360 controller.

| i5 3570 | Palit GTX 680 jetsream | Gigabyte Z77x-ud3h | Corsair Vengeance 2x4 1600mhz | WD Caviar Black  1TB | Corsair TX 650m | Coolemaster Hyper212 X | NZXT Pantom 410 | Asus VS239 | Logitech G400s |

Click here to learn how to troll

Most games in the last few years have great controller support.(Besides Battlefield)
Call Of Duty Ghosts and AW as an example  even have auto aim when you use a controller.

I also use a ps3 controller but I would recommend getting an XboxOne controller so you don't need to use MotionJoy .

RTX2070OC 

Motion joy sucks it totally messed up one of my laptops Xbox 360 drivers just get a cheap USB Xbox controller or ds4 ds4 tools is really great

Games most racing games, action adventure ac series shadow of mordor

What are you emulating the PS3 controller to be? If you emulate it as an Xbox 360 controller, it will work in like 90% of the games.

Just because a lot of the games support 360 controllers.

yeah I think I remember it saying that it emulates a 360 controller, but I guess I ended up with the latter 10% of games that don't work with a controller, like Witcher 1 which I've been saying again and again here haha

and I also like some games with mods that change the button layout or the commands that show on screen to match that with the PlayStation controller, I think I saw one with Watch_Dogs

Grand Theft Auto V ............... IF IT DIDN'T GET DELAYED

well I already got to play it at my PS3... but yeah I'm still gonna play it on PC to see the jump in graphics

I sold my ps4, and i know a ps4 controller can be made to work on pc but i like the fact that the xbox one controller is supported natively and can just be plugged in and played.

Also the correct buttons are displayed on screen for example when a game tells you to press A it will show the green controller button "A".

In regards to the witcher 1 i'm not to sure.

But the new witcher coming out will almost certainly  have controller support for sure. 

but which feels better to hold and use while playing?

I say this as someone who has used a ps3 xb360 xbo and ps4 razer sabertooth controler on my PC ...if you NEED wireless...go DS4 if its not an issue go xbo

You say you are used to playstation controlers...see this might screw you more then you realize pretty much all games are gonna give you xb360 button promts ABXY...so unless you know them you are gonna struggle, I would say you are better off getting an xb con of some type to so you have a clear reference of what is what.

Oh...some games even with emulation software will just throw a hissy fit over trying to be controled with an xb controler the only contolers I have found with compatability with everything was my xb360,m the xbo has had one game fail. 

ps3 and ps4 failed a reasonable amount not a ton mind you but it happens. Even my sabertooth has failed a few times..and that is approved to work on a 360.

can you share what games don't work with the PlayStation controllers? like any AAA games?

I don't think the prompts are gonna be a problem for me, the feel of the controllers are more important in my opinion, and the asymmetrical design of the Xbox controllers just disgust me.

http://forums.pcsx2.net/Thread-XInput-Wrapper-for-DS3-and-Play-com-USB-Dual-DS2-Controller

I used that. Just install and none of that enabling drivers crap motioninjoy needs (that's what i last remember. Don't know if it still needs that.) Works with any game that supports controllers since it basically emulates the x360 controller.

thanks I'll test this out

Most games in the last few years have great controller support.(Besides Battlefield)

Call Of Duty Ghosts and AW as an example  even have auto aim when you use a controller.

I also use a ps3 controller but I would recommend getting an XboxOne controller so you don't need to use MotionJoy .

well I probably won't use controllers for FPS games

and there are other guys who've posted other software that allow us to use PlayStation controllers without MotioninJoy so I'm still sticking to my past console life via the controller haha

Motion joy sucks it totally messed up one of my laptops Xbox 360 drivers just get a cheap USB Xbox controller or ds4 ds4 tools is really great

Games most racing games, action adventure ac series shadow of mordor

if my DS3 will disappoint me when I finally get to play, then I'll probably go but a DS4 as a last resort

can you share what games don't work with the PlayStation controllers? like any AAA games?

I don't think the prompts are gonna be a problem for me, the feel of the controllers are more important in my opinion, and the asymmetrical design of the Xbox controllers just disgust me.

Honestly its been a while since ive run into one I cant think off the top of my head that doesnt work

System Specs

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x | Mobo: Gigabyte B550i Aorus Pro AX | RAM: Hyper X Fury 3600 64gb | GPU: Nvidia FE 4090 | Storage: WD Blk SN750 NVMe - 1tb, Samsung 860 Evo - 1tb, WD Blk - 6tb/5tb, WD Red - 10tb | PSU:Corsair ax860 | Cooling: AMD Wraith Stealth  Displays: 55" Samsung 4k Q80R, 24" BenQ XL2420TE/XL2411Z & Asus VG248QE | Kb: K70 RGB Blue | Mouse: Logitech G903 | Case: Fractal Torrent RGB | Extra: HTC Vive, Fanatec CSR/Shifters/CSR Elite Pedals w/ Rennsport stand, Thustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Track IR5,, ARCTIC Z3 Pro Triple Monitor Arm | OS: Win 10 Pro 64 bit

so since I'm only now coming into the PC gaming scene after growing up some RTS PC games, but with mostly the PS1, 2, and 3.

I feel like I'll still want to have that console experience with some games, examples would be with fighting games, 3rd person games, and racing games.

leaving RTS, First Person, and whatever other games optimized for PC playing (from the top of my head) as the games that I'd play purely with the beloved mouse and keyboard.

so I just want to know what games play nice and smooth with a gamepad? specifically the sixaxis controller for the PS3 since that's the latest one I have lying around here, and if possible also please provide instructions on how to get it working. here on my laptop, I tried to play the first witcher game, hoping it would be playable with a gamepad, but I couldn't find out how to make it work though...

Get a controller that uses xinput, like the 360 controllers. Its probably the most compatible controller thus far. If you want to stick with the PS3 controller look at a program called 'Better DS3'. It will allow you to map your ps3 controller to what ever you want and it also has the ability to emulate a 360 controller for games that support it natively.

Windows 10 Edu | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | Ryzen 9 3950x | 4x 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB| ROG Strix GeForce® RTX 2080 SUPER™ Advanced edition | Samsung 980 PRO 500GB + Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB + 8TB Seagate Barracuda | EVGA Supernova 650 G2 | Alienware AW3418DW + LG 34uc87c + Dell u3419w | Asus Zephyrus G14

Honestly its been a while since ive run into one I cant think off the top of my head that doesnt work

probably just the older games then? the newer games probably support them now

I really dunno I tend to use my xbo controler now. if I need a con and end up using kb and mouse for most things

System Specs

Just dawned on me.

Here is the issue with the ps controllers not working on everything.

Very few games out of the box will work with a PS controller at all, you need ..I call it a PS to xb360 controler emulator they call it a wrapper, I dunno what a wrapper is and wont claim to but thats what it is.

That wrapper makes the PS con appear to be an xb controller to windows, The problem you get is with lower budget/badly made games for some reason they will only work with a MS made xb controler. I specify that because as I mentioned I have a Razer Sabretooth, this is a licensed controler that you can use on a 360 (and pc) despite all that and just being plug and play on PC it simply will not work with some things because its not the Microsoft XB controler.

The same issue comes up using the ps controllers with a wrapper. Everything in window will say the connected controller is an xbox360 one...as it should but some games for some reason just say wtf is this and will not function.

System Specs

Just dawned on me.

Here is the issue with the ps controllers not working on everything.

Very few games out of the box will work with a PS controller at all, you need ..I call it a PS to xb360 controler emulator they call it a wrapper, I dunno what a wrapper is and wont claim to but thats what it is.

That wrapper makes the PS con appear to be an xb controller to windows, The problem you get is with lower budget/badly made games for some reason they will only work with a MS made xb controler. I specify that because as I mentioned I have a Razer Sabretooth, this is a licensed controler that you can use on a 360 (and pc) despite all that and just being plug and play on PC it simply will not work with some things because its not the Microsoft XB controler.

The same issue comes up using the ps controllers with a wrapper. Everything in window will say the connected controller is an xbox360 one...as it should but some games for some reason just say wtf is this and will not function.

you think this happens even with newer games?

you think this happens even with newer games?

its really impossible to say. As I mentioned above badly made games can fall into this...that can be anything really. its really like closing your eyes and throwing a dart at a dart board. it certainly could happen. None of this is offical (some games support the ps4 controller without a wrapper, I dont think any support the ps3 controller without one) So there is no reason for a game to deliberately make the PS wrappers work

System Specs

but which feels better to hold and use while playing?

Honestly the xbox one controller feels just as nice to hold.

The Mrs also uses a xbox 360 controller and personally..that feels awful to the ds4/xb1 controllers. 

I7 4790K-----ASUS Z97-A-----GTX 1080-----CORSAIR H105-----CORSAIR VENGEANCE PRO 16GB-----ASUS PG278Q-----LOGITECH G900-----MASTERKEYS PRO L-----Sennheiser GSX 1000