please help me convince my dad that 1GB per day is not enough...

1832vin

at this rate, my dad is going to put a 1GB per day download cap on the router per day,

and his reason is:"i only can use 10MB per day on my laptop, so if you download 1GB per day of data, you are not doing any work!"

and the reason he only ever uses 10MB is because he only ever look at stocks, and refreshing graphs webpages doesn't use alot of data..

i tried telling him that even a 4min video on youtube can be 400MB, and his reply is" watch it on 122p then!  i can read the graphs on the videos of Bloomberg at 122p"

(i only recently bought a 4K screen, at this rate it's going to be less useful than a 4:3 screen cropped)

BACKUP PLAN (learn HACKING)

and as a backup plan, i plan to learn how to hack the router firmware so that i can change it without his notice..

(something like injecting a (bruteforce)script into http requests)

-> can anyone point me to how to do that too?    know NOTHING about hacking, but fine with scripting

If he has to pay for each GB you use.. then he SHOULD cap it or you should pay him

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

I used 16GB in just 16 hours. When he's not around, just reset the router. It should just take it off.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

Just hard reset the router once he does, login with default password and username, change the password to something he can't figure out.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

IMO get a job and pay for internet yourself so he has no say...

Intel i7-7770K | Asus Maximus X Hero  | EVGA GTX980 SuperClocked | 16GB Memory| Samsung 960 EVO M.2 | Corsair RM 750W | Dell 27" S2716DG main display | Dual Dell ST2320L 23" Secondary displays | Windows 10

Logitech G710+ Keyboard | Logitech G502 mouse | Kingston HyperX Cloud headset | Corsair H100i 

-snip-

Yeah, don't hack into the router to change this. That is not how you should go about it with your dad.

If he catches on to that, that will only make the situation worse.

Just try to make him understand that in order to do tutorials/look up information on whatever is important for your school, requires more than 1 GB.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Pay for it yourself or abide by your dad's rules. 

"My opinion is that your opinion is wrong." - AlwaysFSX    CPU I5 4690k MB MSI Gaming 5 RAM 2 x 4GB HyperX Blu DDR3 GPU Asus GTX970 Strix,  Case Corsair 760T Storage 1 x 120GB 840EVO 1 x 1TB WD Blue, 1 x 500GB Toshiba  

The cave/beast v2 (OLD) http://imgur.com/a/8AmeH                                  PSU 600W Raidmax RX600AF Displays ASUS VS278Q-P x2, BenQ Xl2720z Cooling Dark Rock 3, 4 AP120s Keyboard Logitech G710+ Mouse Razer Deathadder 

at this rate, my dad is going to put a 1GB per day download cap on the router per day,

and his reason is:"i only can use 10MB per day on my laptop, so if you download 1GB per day of data, you are not doing any work!"

and the reason he only ever uses 10MB is because he only ever look at stocks, and refreshing graphs webpages doesn't use alot of data..

i tried telling him that even a 4min video on youtube can be 400MB, and his reply is" watch it on 122p then!  i can read the graphs on the videos of Bloomberg at 122p"

(i only recently bought a 4K screen, at this rate it's going to be less useful than a 4:3 screen cropped)

well if thats the only router in the house.let him learn the hard way- when he tries to use it and finds that the cap is already reached.Unless its a pay per use.

Intel i7 4702MQ| Nvidia GTX 850M| Kingston 16GB DDR3 1600Mhz| Acer VA70_HW (mobo)| 1TB WD Blue| MATSHITA DVD-RAM UJ8E0|1600x900 display|Win 8.1

Intel i5 4690K @Stock| Sapphire 390 Nitro| Hyper X Fury 2x4GB| MSI SLI Krait z97| Noctua Nh-U12S | 850 EVO 256GB| 2TB WD Black | CM V 850w| Enthoo Luxe

If you want to tag me or any person with periods do: @[Member='Name]

and as a backup plan, i plan to learn how to hack the router firmware so that i can change it without his notice..

-> can anyone point me to how to do that too?    know NOTHING about hacking, but fine with scripting

You have to pay for each gigabyte?

"My game vs my brains, who gets more fatal errors?" ~ Camper125Lv, GMC Jam #15

Are you really risking the relationship with your dad by trying to hack his router? I don't know how my dad would react if I did that but trust issues and what not would ensue for sure, and I wouldn't blame him.

If my kid were to do that with me in my house, I'd cut off his internet entirely.

CPU: i7-4770K  Cooler: NZXT X60  GPU: Asus GTX 770 2GB  MB: Asus Maximus VI Hero  RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB 1600MHz  PSU: Be Quiet! 630 Watt  Case: NZXT H440 

Storage: 120GB Samsung 840 Evo + 1TB Seagate HDD  KeyboardCorsair K70 RGB  MouseG502 Proteus Spectrum  HeadphoneSennheiser HD598  Mic: Blue Snowball Ice

I used over 3.5-4TB in the last month alone :).

CPU: i7 3770k @ 4.8Ghz Motherboard: Sabertooth Z77 RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance GPU: GTX 780 Case: Corsair 540 Air Storage: 2x Intel 520 SSD Raid 0 PSU: Corsair AX850 Display(s): 1x 27" Samsung Monitor 3x 24" Asus Monitors Cooling: Swifttech H220 Keyboard: Logitech 710+ Mouse: Logitech G500 Headphones: Sennheiser HD 558 --- Internet: http://linustechtips.com/main/uploads/gallery/album_1107/gallery_12431_1107_23677.png My Setup:  http://linustechtips.com/main/gallery/image/7922-1-rkcf7io/ -- NAS: 3x WD Red 3TB Drives (RAIDZ-1), 5x 750gb Seagate ES HDD(RAIDZ-1), 120gb SSD for caching, OS: FreeNAS --  Server 1: Xeon E3 1275v2, 32GB of RAM, OS: ESXi 5.5 -- Server 2: Xeon E3 1220v2, 32GB of RAM, OS: ESXi 5.5

If my kid were to do that with me in my house, I'd cut off his internet entirely.

I'd give my kid a new computer for that

I'd give my kid a new computer for that

haha this

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

I used over 3.5-4TB in the last month alone :).

HOW?!?!?! Disregarding my data cap, I my connection's not fast enough to do that (it would take 339 days or something - just worked it out on a calculator)

I'm on a 40GB cap (thanks BT) and that averages out at 1.2GB/day for the whole family. It's tough. Every video has to be carefully decided upon before being watched. Quality has to be 360p (which is about all it can stream anyway) and I have a tab open with my internet usage on it.

Edit: To the OP - It's hell, and if you're in a situation where you either have a large data cap (200+GB/month) or are unlimited then you shouldn't have to go through this. Show him how much stuff uses. Show him what you would be doing (find the most educational videos you can - if you do any tech courses then LTT's a good start) and how much one video uses on average. Also show him how bad 144p actually is. Just try your best to convince him. What I don't get is why he's basing your needs on his extremely light usage scenario.

If he has to pay for each GB you use.. then he SHOULD cap it or you should pay him

sorry, i didn't mention, we bought

UNLIMITED FIBER

HOW?!?!?! Disregarding my data cap, I my connection's not fast enough to do that (it would take 339 days or something - just worked it out on a calculator)

I'm on a 40GB cap (thanks BT) and that averages out at 1.2GB/day for the whole family. It's tough. Every video has to be carefully decided upon before being watched. Quality has to be 360p (which is about all it can stream anyway) and I have a tab open with my internet usage on it.

Edit: To the OP - It's hell, and if you're in a situation where you either have a large data cap (200+GB/month) or are unlimited then you shouldn't have to go through this. Show him how much stuff uses. Show him what you would be doing (find the most educational videos you can - if you do any tech courses then LTT's a good start) and how much one video uses on average. Also show him how bad 144p actually is. Just try your best to convince him. What I don't get is why he's basing your needs on his extremely light usage scenario.

I have google fiber(1000mbps). I run a virtual server cluster that i am upgrading to 22TB of storage space this week. :)

CPU: i7 3770k @ 4.8Ghz Motherboard: Sabertooth Z77 RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance GPU: GTX 780 Case: Corsair 540 Air Storage: 2x Intel 520 SSD Raid 0 PSU: Corsair AX850 Display(s): 1x 27" Samsung Monitor 3x 24" Asus Monitors Cooling: Swifttech H220 Keyboard: Logitech 710+ Mouse: Logitech G500 Headphones: Sennheiser HD 558 --- Internet: http://linustechtips.com/main/uploads/gallery/album_1107/gallery_12431_1107_23677.png My Setup:  http://linustechtips.com/main/gallery/image/7922-1-rkcf7io/ -- NAS: 3x WD Red 3TB Drives (RAIDZ-1), 5x 750gb Seagate ES HDD(RAIDZ-1), 120gb SSD for caching, OS: FreeNAS --  Server 1: Xeon E3 1275v2, 32GB of RAM, OS: ESXi 5.5 -- Server 2: Xeon E3 1220v2, 32GB of RAM, OS: ESXi 5.5

oh, i showed him, and he showed me this bloomberg video that looks at a graph of stock prices, and he said

"tell me you can read this graph"

You have to pay for each gigabyte?

no, we don't

his reason for adding a cap is:

you should be studying 90% of the time, since you're a student

(i'm in uni......)

for savings sake, i still live at home

I used 16GB in just 16 hours. When he's not around, just reset the router. It should just take it off.

i can't install the firmware back on the router..., but i can change the settings before he comes back

Are you really risking the relationship with your dad by trying to hack his router? I don't know how my dad would react if I did that but trust issues and what not would ensue for sure, and I wouldn't blame him.

that's why i'd (bruteforce) hack it, so i get the password, and can change the settings before he comes back from work!

no one notices, and i can do my research on quantum information theory (p.s.  i study architecture in uni)

sorry, i didn't mention, we bought

UNLIMITED FIBER

You have a lot to explain to your dad

Tell him that you have need a higher cap so that you can spend more time on http://www.lynda.com/

In our household, we have used 1.4TB over the last month... We easily break over 100GB during weekends :

oh, about that, he pulled up a webpage (really dunno how old it was, format was bad, and stuff)

and the website said: "average monthly household data bandwidth:  30MB"

i told him that's wrong, but he looked convinced because he only uses 1MB per day

oh, about that, he pulled up a webpage (really dunno how old it was, format was bad, and stuff)

and the website said: "average monthly household data bandwidth:  30MB"

i told him that's wrong, but he looked convinced because he only uses 1MB per day

I use close to 4GB a month purely on my phone's data plan :|

Pay for your own internet connection and router.