I am tired of everyone claiming "6 cores do nothing for games," and tired of hearing "you only need 8 gigs of ram."

Go to solution Solved by Imabigmac,

Okay I get it. But what about the extra cost? Is the extra cost truly worth it? What kind of FPS boost are we talking about ?    

The  "quad core and 8GB is all you need" statement is valid for a lot of users. Some will obviously need more. The fact though that some people will by that statement as though it was one of ten commandments for a Christian, is quite honestly sad. It just reflects that some are incapable of reading between the lines. 

And people talk about Intel vs AMD threads exploding.... 

Seriously guys, shut up.

I popped in my x6, and immediately saw higher FPS in planetside 2, Garry's mod, CS:GO, and Crysis when compared to my x4 at the same clock speed. (both are @ 4Ghz)

As for ram? I dont know about you, but I was constantly getting low memory messages with 8 gigs, and I've since installed 4 more.

The point is, These things do help.

so quit your preaching that "You only need a 4 core, and 8 gigs is more than enough," until you try a 6 core, with more than 8 gigs of ram.

thank you.

/rant.

When you were getting those low memory messages, did you have a fair amount of background programs running? or a bunch of tabs open in chrome? (if you use chrome)

I'm still going to say that you don't need more than 8GB of ram for gaming.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

At least with me, I only say "you only need <x>" due to budgeting and balancing.

Those statements are very subjective.... they apply perfectly for some people while others its like how do you live with 8gb ram?

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

But you don't. You get better FPS because background tasks can be moved to the extra cores. 

Read the third from last line in the OP please.

Okay, you've seen higher FPS in four games of which have arguable levels of optimization towards specific sets of hardware and you need more than 8GB of RAM...

That doesn't mean we are all the same. It stands true that an Intel quad-core processor and 8GB RAM is perfectly suitable for gaming. May you see performance increases from more? Sure, but that's debatable and it's not going to make every game run exponentially better to the point where the extra hardware costs are justified.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

how about you try an actual 4 core not an athlon?

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

Well, it's true is it not? A game still runs with 4 cores and no game needs more than 8gb of ram.

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

When you were getting those low memory messages, did you have a fair amount of background programs running? or a bunch of tabs open in chrome? (if you use chrome)

I get them in chrome, yes.

but I also get them in Algodoo (Physics Sim), As well as quite a few games.

I have tried a 6 core. And a 12 core. And a 24 core. (Dual Xeon)

With quad-quadros. Pretty cool. 

5800X3D - RTX 4070 - 2K @ 165Hz

Well I don't see anybody recommending FX-4300's, 955's, 965, etc.

For i5's vs high end six core i7's, it doesn't really make a difference (for gaming), but for AMD it does (for example, my 960T unlocked to six cores gets way more fps compared to quad core).

For the ram, I have been noticing some limitations with 8GB lately, but 16GB definitely isn't needed when all I have to do is close some Chrome tabs and voila, saved $60-80 (I probably wouldn't say this if I had 16GB of ram though, because it is kind of annoying lol).

RIP in pepperonis m8s

Mmmm, meritless threats from someone behind a keyboard. Please, won't you guard @connorpiper God as to keep him safe from the wrath of TheAMDgamer8870!

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

@WoodenMarker Rant is barely peripherally related to forum. Please close.

this rant is on the forum's behavior towards CPUs and Memory.

I'm just tired of people making general statements like they're absolute truth.

this rant is on the forum's behavior towards CPUs and Memory.

I'm just tired of people making general statements like they're absolute truth.

They're not absolute truth, but the fact of the matter is that 8GB of RAM and an Intel quad-core are enough for most peoples' gaming needs. Exceptions apply, but that's dependent on the user.

Mmmm, meritless threats from someone behind a keyboard. Please, won't you guard @connorpiper God as to keep him safe from the wrath of TheAMDgamer8870!

was supposed to be 4th.

I get them in chrome, yes.

but I also get them in Algodoo (Physics Sim), As well as quite a few games.

I totally agree with you literally only web browsing i run out of memory sooo fast and thats only with 1 window open with tabs image the possibilities of windows i would have with 128gb of ram :D!!!!!!!!!!!!

-side note: i see 16gb of ram and 6 cores right now as the sweet spot if your willing to pay the premium but ofc that changes as new things get released too, oh and don't joke about that 3rd line from the end people are unpredictable...some may even like that

The Vinyl Decal guy.

Celestial-Uprising  A Work In-Progress

I find that it always depends on the situation. A Core 2 Duo and 6GB of ram is plenty for anything I do on my OC rig (mainly for games so non of the background bloatware), whilst 8GB is plenty on my main rig (I said screw it when 12GB was recommended for the 970, so I went the full 16GB supported by win7).

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

They're not absolute truth, but the fact of the matter is that 8GB of RAM and an Intel quad-core are enough for most peoples' gaming needs. Exceptions apply, but that's dependent on the user.

And budgeting. Not everyone's going to shell out 2k+ for more than 8GB of memory and an i7.

Plus, OP is using Athalons as comparisons. Lol.

I do agree with the 8GB thing. I can't live with less than 10GB.

Depends on the person, and the workload.

5800X3D - RTX 4070 - 2K @ 165Hz

I may very well look like an ass because of this thread, but the subject really needs to be brought to attention.

games can handle more & more threads, Apps use more and more ram.

I have seen one to many posts crying that "You wont see any benifit from more cores"

and countless too many posts that claim you will never need more than 8 gigabytes of ram.

Yeah, that argument was valid in 2001 when we were debating 512 Megs vs 1 Gig, wasnt it?

Umm, even though the core speed is greatly different, I hardly see any change between a 14 core processor and a 4 core processor when clocked at the same speed.