Tech Things You Dont Know But Are Too Afraid To Ask.

The definition of cycle "the smallest interval of time required to complete an operation in a computer." (Dictionary.com)

Woo! Called it. 

So if it takes RAM 5-9 CL to respond to the CPU's requests, and factoring in errors, theoretically HT should make a noticeable difference based on what you are planning to be doing (multi-tasking vs single tasking).

Knowledge is half the battle kids. :P

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

Knowledge is half the battle kids. :P

And guessing is the other half lol

DESKTOP - Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H Processor - Intel Core i5-2500K @ Stock 1.135v Cooling - Cooler Master Hyper TX3 RAM - Kingston Hyper-X Fury White 4x4GB DDR3-1866 Graphics Card - MSI GeForce GTX 780 Lightning PSU - Seasonic M12II EVO Edition 850w  HDD -  WD Caviar  Blue 500GB (Boot Drive)  /  WD Scorpio Black 750GB (Games Storage) / WD Green 2TB (Main Storage) Case - Cooler Master 335U Elite OS - Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate

Cool, thanks.

What is a cycle defined as? The time it takes the CPU to do 1 operation?

This might be good reading for you ;)

http://www.ece.cmu.edu/~ece548/localcpy/dramop.pdf

Note: it is a bit dated though, as we now use Synchronous DRAM (SDRAM)

This might be good reading for you ;)

http://www.ece.cmu.edu/~ece548/localcpy/dramop.pdf

Will do, thanks for the info/help. :)

Edit: After understanding that, I think faster RAM memory would still be meaningless even for HT. Being able to do 2133 million operations per second doesn't matter if you aren't doing that many operations per second anyway. It's not dissimilar to having an SSD that can read/write 500MB/s and only transferring 100 KB files. Even if you do 1000 files at a time, then upgrading to RAID 0 SSD's to transfer 1 GB/s while still transferring the same file amounts and sizes. You wouldn't notice any difference. Your overhead would just grow.

Awesome.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

what on earth would you need a hptx board for?

Multi CPU configuration, a little extra CPU grunt :)

DESKTOP - Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H Processor - Intel Core i5-2500K @ Stock 1.135v Cooling - Cooler Master Hyper TX3 RAM - Kingston Hyper-X Fury White 4x4GB DDR3-1866 Graphics Card - MSI GeForce GTX 780 Lightning PSU - Seasonic M12II EVO Edition 850w  HDD -  WD Caviar  Blue 500GB (Boot Drive)  /  WD Scorpio Black 750GB (Games Storage) / WD Green 2TB (Main Storage) Case - Cooler Master 335U Elite OS - Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate

Dual CPUs with lots of memory banks and not sacrificing power delivery and expansion slots.  And cuz it's cool.

Expecially EVGA's little creation, the SR-2 and X.

Damn I'd love to have one just to make love with it, ohh shit did I type that out loud :rolleyes:

did I type that out loud :rolleyes:

Do you have cherry MX Blues/Greens? otherwise probably no :p

Do you have cherry MX Blues/Greens? otherwise probably no :P

No idea what they are lol

EDIT: Just had a look and no I don't have any though I really would like the blue ones, looks pretty sweet :)

No idea what they are lol

EDIT: Just had a look and no I don't have any though I really would like the blue ones, looks pretty sweet :)

Yeah me too I'm still using membrane :(. You can still type your "thoughts out loud" if you bottom them out though...

My Coolermaster hyper 412 slim (CPU fan) is mounted properly as far as I can tell but I can move it around and rotate it a tiny bit.

Cooling performance is fine but should it be a worry?

i7 3770 | Asus Maximus V Formula | Asus GTX 780 | Corsair H100i | Silverstone Strider Plus 750W | Obsidian 650D | Samsung 840 Pro 128GB | 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro

My Coolermaster hyper 412 slim (CPU fan) is mounted properly as far as I can tell but I can move it around and rotate it a tiny bit.

Cooling performance is fine but should it be a worry?

If you move it/go to lan parties, yes, tighten it up. Otherwise, tighten it up, it can damage your CPU. What cpu do you have? I've seen AMD cpus ripped out of the socket by loose heatsinks.

Codename: HighFlyer, specs:  CPU: i5 2500k cooled by a H70ish(2 rad)   Mobo: MSI MPower Z77   GPUs: Gigabyte GTX 660 OC 1150 MHZ core, 3150 memory both   RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16G @1600mhz   SSD: ADATA Premier Pro sx900 / HDD Seagate Barracuda 1TB/Samsung 1TB   Power supply: Corsair RM650 80+ Gold   Case Corsair Carbide 500R   5.4 ghz achieved on the good old 2500k, may it rest in peace. Current daily OC is 4.8 @1.41 v

What is core parking or and what does unparking them do?

"An Excellent Signature"

Well, you can just google most questions and you get answers. 

I used Mandriva, Red Hat, Ubuntu and i can say that any 10+ year old can adapt to linux the same way you adapt to windows. Tho now i am not using linux.

Linux mint could be another good distro of linux, if you go to distro watch you can see all available ones you would like. Also to answer your question Linux is just like Windows and OS X. Of course if you do start to use linux you would now have to find programs similar to the ones on your Windows machine. Wine is a program you can use to install Windows .exe programs. I hope this helps I have only really scratched the surface of linux. Oh! Also it is open source and there are plenty of forums to help you if you get stuck or want to do more advanced things with linux. Hope this helps 

Why a 1920x1080 Monitor with a 5ms response time is better than a 1080p TV with a 5ms response time.

Hint: I use an Insignia 26" 1080p 5ms TV as a monitor because I got it for $149

"Energy drinks don't make my mouth taste like yak buttholes like coffee does, so I'll stick with them." - Yoinkerman

Why a 1920x1080 Monitor with a 5ms response time is better than 1920x1080 TV with a 5ms response time.

Because TV's are big so pixel density is shit. Also sometimes the panel time is different or something

I've used a 32'' 1080p tv for a while and it really hurts your eyes.

Also a note to some people (not specifically you), the advertised ms on a monitor are very rarely accurate, don't trust them

Wrong.

well then  you will be on youtube for hours looking for tutorials on how to install every program and make it work like it does on windows

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

well then you will be on youtube for hours looking for tutorials on how to install every program and make it work like it does on windows

Ubuntu? Pear OS 7? Many Linux programs that natively support Ubuntu have a Deb extension. These types of files can be installed simply through Ubuntu Software Center.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

I honestly don't know much about RAM, except that my G750JH's 12 gigs is a bit overkill.

Why is triple channel and 6/10 gigs not used mainly, as I normally see them on OEMs.

It's used only in mobos with tripple channel controllers, 1366 from what i know. It's not efficient to use tripple dimms on dual or quad channel boards

Codename: HighFlyer, specs:  CPU: i5 2500k cooled by a H70ish(2 rad)   Mobo: MSI MPower Z77   GPUs: Gigabyte GTX 660 OC 1150 MHZ core, 3150 memory both   RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16G @1600mhz   SSD: ADATA Premier Pro sx900 / HDD Seagate Barracuda 1TB/Samsung 1TB   Power supply: Corsair RM650 80+ Gold   Case Corsair Carbide 500R   5.4 ghz achieved on the good old 2500k, may it rest in peace. Current daily OC is 4.8 @1.41 v

I honestly don't know much about RAM, except that my G750JW's 12 gigs is a bit overkill.

Why is triple channel and 6/10 gigs not used mainly, as I normally see them on OEMs.

No current platforms use triple channel memory.  Intel's old high end platform used to be Triple channel and their mainstream platform was dual channel.  Their mainstream is still dual channel but their high end platform has been upgraded to quad channel.

Why a 1920x1080 Monitor with a 5ms response time is better than a 1080p TV with a 5ms response time.

Response time is how long it takes the pixel to change colors after it has been instructed to change.  TVs have more image processing than monitors, so there is a delay before the pixels on TVs are signalled to change, and then the response time comes into play.  This is called input lag.

What is core parking or and what does unparking them do?

Core parking is supposed to automatically disable CPU cores when you aren't doing anything intensive, to save power.  Turning it off prevents performance loss when you need high CPU performance but Windows decides to park the cores anyway for some reason.

Just wanted to say, great thread. This is exactly what online forums should be all about. So people can ask questions and not get flamed for not knowing something, no matter what the question. Great work!

If you move it/go to lan parties, yes, tighten it up. Otherwise, tighten it up, it can damage your CPU. What cpu do you have? I've seen AMD cpus ripped out of the socket by loose heatsinks.

I have a 3770, the screws clicked in (usually indicating they are in) and i was afraid that anymore would over tighten and damage the motherboard.

i7 3770 | Asus Maximus V Formula | Asus GTX 780 | Corsair H100i | Silverstone Strider Plus 750W | Obsidian 650D | Samsung 840 Pro 128GB | 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro