Tech Things You Dont Know But Are Too Afraid To Ask.

Just sayin', mouses is correct as MOUSE stands for Manually Operated User Selection Equipment, or something equivalent. So mice doesn't make sense.

Quote from naming section of mouse in Wikipedia: "The earliest known publication of the term mouse as a computer pointing device is in Bill English's 1965 publication "Computer-Aided Display Control".[1] A false etymology exists, claiming "mouse" is an acronym for "Manually Operated User Selection Equipment."

Link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mouse_(computing)

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

OK this is going to so sound utterly stupid, but I am totally confused with this as there are so many different ways and ugh everyone says the other is bad But How do you correctly apply thermal paste/compound. I have seen more than 10 different ways of doing it all claiming which one is better i trust Linus and Logan with the pea technique but is it really the best?

Well, you need to make sure that you do not apply too much or too little, and you SHOULD NOT spread it over the CPU, that then causes air bubbles which doesn't increase the thermal conductivity. There is no need to spread it either. The edges aren't that important actually, your CPU Die (The actual CPU under the metal Heat Spreader) Is in the middle along with its cores. The pea technique is generally the best because when you put your heatsink/water block on the CPU it spreads evenly around the middle-most of the CPU, covering the die and the cores. If you think it won't spread that well don't worry. As long as you put the right amount of Thermal Compound you are great. You HAVE to be EXTREMELY sure that no Compound goes outside the CPU/Heatsink/Water block especially with certain types of Compounds, most compounds have very CONDUCTIVE elements in them which can short out your computer and possibly damage some computer parts. Honestly, I prefer the Pea method mixed with the "Half" Vertical Line method (Short line, not long), since the die of the CPU is a rectangle with the longer side being vertical. Make sure you don't put too much. Or too little. If you need are unsure keep on searching. There are also a lot of videos where they show you HOW the compound spreads, I know Logan posted a video on it. I also saw a video on how DIFFERENT Compounds spreads. Go check some out!

Though it does sound odd (I see what you did there.), it makes sense.

The thing that reads the disk is an optical beam... basically. Just like how there are two types of mouses, optical and laser.

Just sayin', mouses is correct as MOUSE stands for Manually Operated User Selection Equipment, or something equivalent. So mice doesn't make sense.

The more ya know...

Edit: Right, question...

How do you select your custom title on here? I want to see if I can since I'm stuck at Junior Member and have 525 posts.

I think those who were carried over from vB5 are not part of the rank progression tree.  I do not manage the forum though so I don't know if there is a fix planned for that.  In the meantime I can give you a custom one if you want though (PM me).

To edit it just go to your profile, and then click edit profile (near the top right area). Then from there scroll down halfway. And it should work for you too, I'm from the vB5 days and it worked when I got 500 posts.

title.png

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

To edit it just go to your profile, and then click edit profile (near the top right area). Then from there scroll down halfway. And it should work for you too, I'm from the vB5 days and it worked when I got 500 posts.

title.png

Awesome. Thanks.

Quote from naming section of mouse in Wikipedia: "The earliest known publication of the term mouse as a computer pointing device is in Bill English's 1965 publication "Computer-Aided Display Control".[1] A false etymology exists, claiming "mouse" is an acronym for "Manually Operated User Selection Equipment."

Link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mouse_(computing)

As interesting as that is, mouses is still correct as it's not talking about the animal and still follows the rules of English (though words don't actually have to follow those rules).

I prefer mouses anyway. Thanks for the interesting info though. :)

Edit: And apparently it's called that because it looks like a mouse. Figures. I bet the guys who made it were all math people. They must be so literal. :|

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

Question from me.
How do I know my fans are causing vibrational noise? or if it's just because of the air swooshing pass?

CPU: Intel 2700k (4.7) MOBO: Asus P8Z77-V DELUXE GPU: Sapphire Vapor-X R9 290X RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengence (1866) CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i w/ 2x Noctua NF-F12 Storage: 256GB Samsung 830 Pro SSD (Boot), 64GB Crucial M4 (SSD Cache), 1TB WD Black Cavier, 2TB Hitachi, 2.5TB Buffalo Sound Card: Xonar Essence STX Case: Corsair Graphite 600t w/ full acrylic side PSU: Corsair HX750 (individually sleeved) 
Peripherals: Filco Keyboard (Brown) Razer Deathadder, Sennheiser HD595, Zalman ZM-MIC1, Steelseries Qck Mass mousepad.
Pics of my Rig

Question from me.

How do I know my fans are causing vibrational noise? or if it's just because of the air swooshing pass?

Vibrations don't make whooshing sounds and air doesn't make any other kind of sound.

Usually malfunctioning fans will make a whining, ticking, or grinding noise.

Why can't you use Graphics cards in more than 4 way SLI/Crossfire X setup, why is it that you can only have 2 GTX 690's in SLI or 4 GTX TITAN's in SLI setup. Same with AMD.

There has to be some hardware limitations, but mainly, because of scaling. Tests showed that going from 3way to 4 way, sometimes made performance dropped.

Codename: HighFlyer, specs:  CPU: i5 2500k cooled by a H70ish(2 rad)   Mobo: MSI MPower Z77   GPUs: Gigabyte GTX 660 OC 1150 MHZ core, 3150 memory both   RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16G @1600mhz   SSD: ADATA Premier Pro sx900 / HDD Seagate Barracuda 1TB/Samsung 1TB   Power supply: Corsair RM650 80+ Gold   Case Corsair Carbide 500R   5.4 ghz achieved on the good old 2500k, may it rest in peace. Current daily OC is 4.8 @1.41 v

There has to be some hardware limitations, but mainly, because of scaling. Tests showed that going from 3way to 4 way, sometimes made performance dropped.

Ok so is it possible to actually get more than 4 way SLI/Crossfire X in the future if the scaling was improved. Since Linus recently told that with the GTX TITAN and the GTX 7XX series scaling has improved.

Why can't you use Graphics cards in more than 4 way SLI/Crossfire X setup, why is it that you can only have 2 GTX 690's in SLI or 4 GTX TITAN's in SLI setup. Same with AMD.

NVIDIA's and AMD's software and hardware don't support it.  You have to have all the GPUs connected with an SLI or CrossfireX bridge and it becomes a bit of a nightmare designing bridges that would connect 6 or 8 cards, since already 4-way bridges are fat and ugly.  The GTX 690 is two GTX 680s in SLI on a single circuit board.  So once you have two of them, you are already in quad SLI.  Since those are on a single circuit board feasibly NVIDIA could design one with two SLI fingers for 8-way SLI with four cards, but they aren't going to write support for 8-way SLI just for the GTX 690, when with any other card you'll have a tough time finding a motherboard that can even fit more than four graphics cards anyway.  And it becomes difficult to synchronize so many GPUs working together on a single task.  Software becomes a nightmare and you might end up decreasing performance simply because of the overhead from trying to manage which GPUs are doing what.

Vibrations don't make whooshing sounds and air doesn't make any other kind of sound.

Usually malfunctioning fans will make a whining, ticking, or grinding noise.

My PC has low humming noise coming from the fans, so is this due to the vibrations?

Is there any way of decreasing it?

CPU: Intel 2700k (4.7) MOBO: Asus P8Z77-V DELUXE GPU: Sapphire Vapor-X R9 290X RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengence (1866) CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i w/ 2x Noctua NF-F12 Storage: 256GB Samsung 830 Pro SSD (Boot), 64GB Crucial M4 (SSD Cache), 1TB WD Black Cavier, 2TB Hitachi, 2.5TB Buffalo Sound Card: Xonar Essence STX Case: Corsair Graphite 600t w/ full acrylic side PSU: Corsair HX750 (individually sleeved) 
Peripherals: Filco Keyboard (Brown) Razer Deathadder, Sennheiser HD595, Zalman ZM-MIC1, Steelseries Qck Mass mousepad.
Pics of my Rig

My PC has low humming noise coming from the fans, so is this due to the vibrations?

Is there any way of decreasing it?

Could be just the fan motor at work.  You could try undervolting it with a $5 cable from Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Phobya-Adapter-Converts-voltage-Sleeving/dp/B00943R5M0

NVIDIA's and AMD's software and hardware don't support it.  You have to have all the GPUs connected with an SLI or CrossfireX bridge and it becomes a bit of a nightmare designing bridges that would connect 6 or 8 cards, since already 4-way bridges are fat and ugly.  The GTX 690 is two GTX 680s in SLI on a single circuit board.  So once you have two of them, you are already in quad SLI.  Since those are on a single circuit board feasibly NVIDIA could design one with two SLI fingers for 8-way SLI with four cards, but they aren't going to write support for 8-way SLI just for the GTX 690, when with any other card you'll have a tough time finding a motherboard that can even fit more than four graphics cards anyway.  And it becomes difficult to synchronize so many GPUs working together on a single task.  Software becomes a nightmare and you might end up decreasing performance simply because of the overhead from trying to manage which GPUs are doing what.

Ok Thanks for the response. Now I understand

whan using windows live can PC gamers play against console gamers?

No

Interested in Business and Technology

Nope, wouldn't be fair to the console gamers as they have the inferior platform. They would lose every battle. I heard somewhere that this concept has been tryed out before and it ended badly. Off to Google.

What are the number in brackets next to the multiplier in brackets?

(sorry I stole someone elses CPUZ for and example) if its that it varies between 16x and 43x why doesn't my cpu show that when using speedstep?

post-2107-0-74159400-1371760012.png

What are the number in brackets next to the multiplier in brackets?

(sorry I stole someone elses CPUZ for and example) if its that it varies between 16x and 43x why doesn't my cpu show that when using speedstep?

post-2107-0-74159400-1371760012.png

Those are your multipliers, lowest to the highest you've currently set I think, if you overclocked to 4.6GHz with a multiplier of x46 those numbers should read (16 - 46) for example unless I've got it wrong.

DESKTOP - Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H Processor - Intel Core i5-2500K @ Stock 1.135v Cooling - Cooler Master Hyper TX3 RAM - Kingston Hyper-X Fury White 4x4GB DDR3-1866 Graphics Card - MSI GeForce GTX 780 Lightning PSU - Seasonic M12II EVO Edition 850w  HDD -  WD Caviar  Blue 500GB (Boot Drive)  /  WD Scorpio Black 750GB (Games Storage) / WD Green 2TB (Main Storage) Case - Cooler Master 335U Elite OS - Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate

what is stopping companies like Samsung from producing portable media player with more than 160GB of storage?

Demand ^^

Frost upon these cigarettes.... lipstick on the window pane...

Demand ^^

even if that were the case a company like Samsung could make a small cassette sized SSD that fits into or clips on an MP3 player so you could have 50GB drives that were swappable meaning you could have an MP3 collection on the go that was bigger than 160GB.