Tech Things You Dont Know But Are Too Afraid To Ask.

and mail-in-rebate is a thing that you fill out and mail to them and they send you some money. 

Addendum: After about 6 weeks. MIRs take too long for it to be worth it (imo).

Interested in Linux, SteamOS and Open-source applications? Go here

Gaming Rig - CPU: i5 3570k @ Stock | GPU: EVGA Geforce 560Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Antec Lanboy Air | KB: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

So I was talking to my cousin and she asked me, "I can go on youtube and watch games to play so why cant i play them? It is showing the same picture i would see i just dont have control over what is happening." and i felt dumb because i couldnt answer. so in short, why can my computer play a video of a very graphically intensive game but i cant play it on my PC?

i5 3570 | MSI GD-65 Gaming | OCZ Vertex 60gb ssd | WD Green 1TB HDD | NZXT Phantom | TP-Link Wifi card | H100 | 5850

“I snort instant coffee because it’s easier on my nose than cocaine"

So I was talking to my cousin and she asked me, "I can go on youtube and watch games to play so why cant i play them? It is showing the same picture i would see i just dont have control over what is happening." and i felt dumb because i couldnt answer. so in short, why can my computer play a video of a very graphically intensive game but i cant play it on my PC?

Videos are pre-rendered. The GPU is doing much less work than playing a game. When playing a game, your GPU actually has to build everything with polygons. Lots of polygons. It's the same way with 3D effects in movies. All the fancy robots are rendered through 3D effects. Even though your DVD player can play the movie with no issue. It's because it's already been rendered.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Videos are pre-rendered. The GPU is doing much less work than playing a game. When playing a game, your GPU actually has to build everything with polygons. Lots of polygons. It's the same way with 3D effects in movies. All the fancy robots are rendered through 3D effects. Even though your DVD player can play the movie with no issue. It's because it's already been rendered.

Well why cant we have like a mix between the two? make the world prerendered?

i5 3570 | MSI GD-65 Gaming | OCZ Vertex 60gb ssd | WD Green 1TB HDD | NZXT Phantom | TP-Link Wifi card | H100 | 5850

Videos are just a list of what pixel is what color.  Games are 3D simulations, and the computer keeps track of millions of objects and calculates in real time how they should look when you move around.  Then calculates the list of pixels from that, and then it gets displayed.

Well why cant we have like a mix between the two? make the world prerendered?

Because you don't know ahead of time what it will look like.  Walking down a path might look like some thing, but walking down 2 feet to the left would be a completely different image, in terms of what pixel is displaying what color.  A video is exactly the same, every time.

There is the intel warranty thing though (Cant remember the name to save my life) that if your chip dies from OC they replace it.

(Linus' way) its possible but it is a bit harder and riskier.  http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?126707-Intel-IHS-removal...-Any-reason-boiling-water-couldn-t-be-used

In the US its a fashion store :P

Yes, it is possible, but why? You don't need it on sandy with a decent cooler.

Codename: HighFlyer, specs:  CPU: i5 2500k cooled by a H70ish(2 rad)   Mobo: MSI MPower Z77   GPUs: Gigabyte GTX 660 OC 1150 MHZ core, 3150 memory both   RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16G @1600mhz   SSD: ADATA Premier Pro sx900 / HDD Seagate Barracuda 1TB/Samsung 1TB   Power supply: Corsair RM650 80+ Gold   Case Corsair Carbide 500R   5.4 ghz achieved on the good old 2500k, may it rest in peace. Current daily OC is 4.8 @1.41 v

Yes, it is possible, but why? You don't need it on sandy with a decent cooler.

People always want more. To squeeze as much as possible out of everything. People define "acceptable" in their own way.

Gaming Rig - CPU: i5 3570k @ Stock | GPU: EVGA Geforce 560Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Antec Lanboy Air | KB: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

People always want more. To squeeze as much as possible out of everything. 

And i am one of those people :p

In what way will CPUs be updated after manufacturing reaches the minimum transistorsize?

144Hz goodness

In what way will CPUs be updated after manufacturing reaches the minimum transistorsize?

Eventually, we'll have to move to a different material altogether because once you hit a certain level, silicon becomes unstable. Also, transistors can only get so small before they stop functioning as transistors.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

Video on transistors

To give you some perspective, current transistors are about 50 atoms wide. That's already very close to being difficult to control. When it gets down to 1 atom width, it'll be nearly impossible without fancier methods of controlling the transistors.

In what situations is faster RAM truly useful?

Ram disks. :o

Feel free to PM for any water-cooling questions. Check out my profile for more ways to contact me.

Add me to your circles on Google+ here or you can follow me on twitter @deadfire19.

To give you some perspective, current transistors are about 50 atoms wide. That's already very close to being difficult to control. When it gets down to 1 atom width, it'll be nearly impossible without fancier methods of controlling the transistors.

Transistors are made out of atoms.  Everything is.  Transistors can't be 1 atom wide.

None comes to mind.  The Hyper 212 is a pretty good cooler.  Nothing else would really be a substantial upgrade until you get to like $70-80 class coolers

I see. At this stage.. is it better to get the $80 cooler or go water should i want more cooling performance?

Transistors are made out of atoms.  Everything is.  Transistors can't be 1 atom wide.

Sorry, should have been clearer.

http://www.electroiq.com/content/dam/etc/medialib/platform-7/solid-state_technology/articles/volume-53/issue-10/38146.res

I meant the gap between the two ends being 1 atom wide. Currently, it's 50 atoms or so (mentioned in the video posted above).

Sorry, should have been clearer.

http://www.electroiq.com/content/dam/etc/medialib/platform-7/solid-state_technology/articles/volume-53/issue-10/38146.res

I meant the gap between the two ends being 1 atom wide. Currently, it's 50 atoms or so (mentioned in the video posted above).

Right, thanks :)

People always want more. To squeeze as much as possible out of everything. People define "acceptable" in their own way.

And i am one of those people :P

I understand and respect that, i like to believe that i am also one of those people that if they can get more, they go for it, but i was trying to explain that that method will be useless on sandy, for example mine can do 5.1 on air, we had a member here with 5.5 ghz on a noctua NH-D14, so my point was that you will hit the silicone barrier before the temp one. That's all.

Codename: HighFlyer, specs:  CPU: i5 2500k cooled by a H70ish(2 rad)   Mobo: MSI MPower Z77   GPUs: Gigabyte GTX 660 OC 1150 MHZ core, 3150 memory both   RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16G @1600mhz   SSD: ADATA Premier Pro sx900 / HDD Seagate Barracuda 1TB/Samsung 1TB   Power supply: Corsair RM650 80+ Gold   Case Corsair Carbide 500R   5.4 ghz achieved on the good old 2500k, may it rest in peace. Current daily OC is 4.8 @1.41 v

A good air cooler will be good enough unless you really want to go nuts...

I see. Thanks. i'll try out and see how much i can get out of the chip. Are water coolers expensive?

Btw, dont mean to be that irritating >.< but in some liquid cooled systems, they can actually match the colour of the liquid in the rads to the colour scheme of thier rig. How do they do it? o.o

Btw, dont mean to be that irritating >.< but in some liquid cooled systems, they can actually match the colour of the liquid in the rads to the colour scheme of thier rig. How do they do it? o.o

Coloured tubing or dyed liquid. Dyed liquid may not look as good if you have too many air bubbles in the loop, but generally look almost neon-like. You can get pretty decent coloured tubing too.

Damn this thread is active, I go for dinner, come back and I have over 50 notifications

"Everybody wants a happy ending, right? But it doesn’t always roll that way." - TS