Tech Things You Dont Know But Are Too Afraid To Ask.

Probably a better idea to avoid touching the contacts on the CPU but that's pretty much how it's done.

Mmmkay, and what grit would you say i should start on? I havent come across a article that says.

i5 3570 | MSI GD-65 Gaming | OCZ Vertex 60gb ssd | WD Green 1TB HDD | NZXT Phantom | TP-Link Wifi card | H100 | 5850

“I snort instant coffee because it’s easier on my nose than cocaine"

Mmmkay, and what grit would you say i should start on? I havent come across a article that says.

You can start off with pretty much any medium grit, but make sure it's laid on a flat, even surface such as glass. I suggest starting with something like 800 grit. Then you move on to 1000, 1500, and 2000 grit. I would link you to a better guide, but I'm not sure if that is against the ToS or not.

You can start off with pretty much any medium grit, but make sure it's laid on a flat, even surface such as glass. I suggest starting with something like 800 grit. Then you move on to 1000, 1500, and 2000 grit. I would link you to a better guide, but I'm not sure if that is against the ToS or not.

Its not, only selling places like ebay is against rules. thanks

i5 3570 | MSI GD-65 Gaming | OCZ Vertex 60gb ssd | WD Green 1TB HDD | NZXT Phantom | TP-Link Wifi card | H100 | 5850

You can start with 600/800 grit

Edit: ninja'd :p

Jesus screw that lol

DESKTOP - Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H Processor - Intel Core i5-2500K @ Stock 1.135v Cooling - Cooler Master Hyper TX3 RAM - Kingston Hyper-X Fury White 4x4GB DDR3-1866 Graphics Card - MSI GeForce GTX 780 Lightning PSU - Seasonic M12II EVO Edition 850w  HDD -  WD Caviar  Blue 500GB (Boot Drive)  /  WD Scorpio Black 750GB (Games Storage) / WD Green 2TB (Main Storage) Case - Cooler Master 335U Elite OS - Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate

You can start with 600/800 grit

Edit: ninja'd :P

Okay thanks

Jesus screw that lol

? why? looks like a safe way to do it to me

Okay thanks

? why? looks like a safe way to do it to me

I wouldn't dare do it at all, would make me very nervous but maybe I'm too cautious in my old age

DESKTOP - Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H Processor - Intel Core i5-2500K @ Stock 1.135v Cooling - Cooler Master Hyper TX3 RAM - Kingston Hyper-X Fury White 4x4GB DDR3-1866 Graphics Card - MSI GeForce GTX 780 Lightning PSU - Seasonic M12II EVO Edition 850w  HDD -  WD Caviar  Blue 500GB (Boot Drive)  /  WD Scorpio Black 750GB (Games Storage) / WD Green 2TB (Main Storage) Case - Cooler Master 335U Elite OS - Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate

You can still lap your heatsink if you don't want to lap your CPU.

Can you do both?

Can you do both?

Yes, in fact I recommended it. I just said that in case you were afraid of messing up your CPU. You don't have to lap your CPU, but if you can, do it.

Yes, in fact I recommended it. I just said that in case you were afraid of messing up your CPU. You don't have to lap your CPU, but if you can, do it.

Mmmkay, which is better? delidding or this? 

I use them aswell.

I have broken them like a true gamer does

Why do i always get blue screens? Why not a red one for a change?

Spoiler

CPU: 2920x  GPU: Sapphire HD 7950 Vapor X  MOBO: X399 Taichi  RAM: 4x 8GB Trident Z RGN 3200/14  CASE: 900D  OS SSD: Samsung 960 Evo 512GB  Storage: 20TB NAS  PSU: Corsair RM1000i  CPU COOLER: NH-U14S TR4 OS: Arch Linux Keyboard: Ducky Shine 3 TKL  Mouse: MX Master 2S Headphones: BD DT 770 PRO 250 Ohm

Mmmkay, which is better? delidding or this? 

Normal razor delidding is only possible on non-soldered on CPUs such as Haswell and Ivy Bridge (not Ivy Bridge-E). There is much more danger in damaging your CPU in delidding compared to lapping, so choose wisely. You can actually delid and lap the IHS to get maximum performance, but Koolance released a bracket that will allow you to cool the CPU die naked (as in no IHS). If I were you, I would run the system first, record temps, lap heatsink, then if temps are not satisfactory, lap CPU, if it's still unsatisfactory performance, delid.

Normal razor delidding is only possible on non-soldered on CPUs such as Haswell and Ivy Bridge (not Ivy Bridge-E). There is much more danger in damaging your CPU in delidding compared to lapping, so choose wisely. You can actually delid and lap the IHS to get maximum performance, but Koolance released a bracket that will allow you to cool the CPU die naked (as in no IHS). If I were you, I would run the system first, record temps, lap heatsink, then if temps are not satisfactory, lap CPU, if it's still unsatisfactory performance, delid.

I know normal razor is i was thinking of doing what linus did http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?126707-Intel-IHS-removal...-Any-reason-boiling-water-couldn-t-be-used

And i was planning on doing the steps you said any way :D

"the only stupid question is the one that was never asked"

Oh okay, good luck then!

Mkay thanks.

Hi all,

Hopefully i dont really sound stupid >.< but how do i O/C my pc? gonna assemble my rig tomorrow but i've never o/ced before, coming form a locked pc.

Im not sure how the whole process is done.

Is there any special things i have to take note for o/cing?

What is a kernel and what does it have to do with gaming performance?

Hi all,

Hopefully i dont really sound stupid >.< but how do i O/C my pc? gonna assemble my rig tomorrow but i've never o/ced before, coming form a locked pc.

OCing can be done different ways. The most common way is through the BIOS. If you have an unlocked CPU, you simply bump up the multiplier. (Bus speed times the multiplier equals final clock speed). Once it becomes unstable, bump up the voltage ever so slightly.

Special things to take note of? Don't rush OCing. Have adequate cooling. Don't jump to any old frequency you want, and don't set any old voltage either.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Hi all,

Before you think about Overclocking, i would firstly get comfortable entering and navigating the BIOS, as this is your greatest friend during manual overclocking.

As for general tips, keep an eye on your voltages, only go up small increments (.05v), similarly, increase your multiplier/core clock slowly and incrementally. There are multiple guides out there, but it's always best to find your own way you're comfortable using.

Holy crap, 12 pages in 1 day WOW, 

*nudges* *whispering* Hey mods, this could be pinned just sayin. @dave I see you on here :D